booming noise last night and this am

Posted in the Oceanside Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pjziggy

San Diego, CA

#1 Jul 21, 2009
Does anyone know what the noise was last night and today every few minutes? It sounds like a booming noise. That is the best way that I know how to describe it. We just moved here and I am not sure if it could be something from the base.
Carlsbad Dan

Vista, CA

#2 Jul 22, 2009
Most likely it was the artillery up at Camp Pendelton.
ncountysurfer

Carlsbad, CA

#4 Aug 19, 2009
We heard this last night 4-5am also. still going on. We are down in LaCosta Valley
Debbie Brewer

AOL

#7 Dec 9, 2009
I am visiting in Vista and I kept going outside to see if something is going on because of the "booming noise", but there is no sign of any problems. It's almost like 4th of July firework booms, but in December.??? Does military artillery testing noise do this ???
DinoFelis

Santee, CA

#8 Dec 9, 2009
The booming has been going on for a while... I live in Carlsbad and these booms are stronger than in the past...prehaps the new deployment is causing this activity? Anyway I am close to 78 and 5 and it BOOMing more than usual.
Michael Jon

Vista, CA

#9 Dec 9, 2009
I am in Vista as well and the past couple of nights, these booms come around at night in bunches of 7 or so and rumble my whole house. It's kind of weird because I've heard them before, they're just a lot louder/more powerful it seems as of late.
Christine

Chicago, IL

#10 Dec 25, 2009
It's artillery exercises at Camp Pendleton. I'm not from SD originally, so I thought the same thing. They announce the noise warnings on their website posted here: www.pendleton.usmc.mil/information/noiseAdvis...

There have been a lot of exercises going on in the month of Nov and Dec.
PottyMouth

San Luis Rey, CA

#11 Dec 25, 2009
Those sounds woke me up. Very unusual for around here. I was terrified and fell back asleep.
Barry Jones

Encinitas, CA

#12 Dec 30, 2009
pjziggy wrote:
Does anyone know what the noise was last night and today every few minutes? It sounds like a booming noise. That is the best way that I know how to describe it. We just moved here and I am not sure if it could be something from the base.
Scared me last night and it is getting stronger----Not the type of person to fuss, but this does not sound military.
It sounds deep within the earth
Brandon

Vista, CA

#13 Dec 30, 2009
I live in Vista and am very familiar with that sound. It is mortar testing on Camp Pendleton, no doubt.
steaming heap

Escondido, CA

#14 Jan 27, 2010
it sucks.... scares my kids... prevents them from going to sleep at night.
Ive lived in South Vista for almost 12 years and have NEVER heard it like this... so often... so consistent .. so F***ing loud... Its 11:32pm on a wednesday and it shakes my whole house...
lame
Jared

San Diego, CA

#15 Jan 27, 2010
We live in the Lake San Marcos area and have been noticing this a lot also. We moved in here in June and the mystery has been driving us nuts. I believe the artillery/mortar explanation. Thanks Christine.
Star

San Diego, CA

#16 Jan 28, 2010
I live in Carlsbad, the booming sound is keeping me awake. It is almost 1 a.m.
Steph

Lakeside, CA

#17 Jan 28, 2010
It's louder than usual..
Kevin

San Diego, CA

#18 Jan 28, 2010
I hear it in Escondido by Lawrence Welk. I assume it is Pendleton...
Laurel

San Diego, CA

#19 Jan 28, 2010
I recently moved to Carlsbad and thought I was going crazy. I guessed it was from the base, but wondered why they do it all night long. I live in a mobile home and everything vibrates. Thanks for posting the Camp Pendleton link. Nice to have an explanation.
Karen Carlsbad CA

Twentynine Palms, CA

#20 Jan 28, 2010
I too heard it all night in southern Carlsbad. Why such things are not explained on the news along with the surf report is beyond me
Kelly Carlsbad

Carlsbad, CA

#21 Jan 28, 2010
Well at least there is an explaination that makes sense! I was the only one awake in my house last night...wondering why the whole house, and the whole neighborhood was not up and out on the street trying to figure this out! We have only been in Carlsbad for 5mos. and this was my first time hearing these sounds.
PottyMouth

San Luis Rey, CA

#22 Jan 28, 2010
I didnt hear anything out of the ordinary. In fact my windows didnt rattle like normal here at ground zero. The marines must be practicing on a different part of the base. Get use to it I did.
idiot finder

San Diego, CA

#23 Feb 17, 2010
Barry Jones wrote:
<quoted text>
Scared me last night and it is getting stronger----Not the type of person to fuss, but this does not sound military.
It sounds deep within the earth
They boomin sounds are artillery from CP get over it. Its the sound of freedom!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceanside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bmw Ice Cream Motorcycle in Carsbad, CA 15 hr Simon A 1
2003 Chevy Trailblazer-CHECK ENGINE LIGHT AND R... (Dec '11) Wed Lori webby 222
Men like Elliot Rodger are not owed anyone or a... Tue thought 50
Seattle man arrested after bragging online abou... Tue thought 28
Council schedules public hearing on water rate ... (Sep '13) Nov 8 james marple 4
Christel House vacation auction starts today Nov 5 Cabins4less 1
Mary Botto Artist (Aug '12) Nov 4 marion goff 28
Oceanside Dating
Find my Match

Oceanside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oceanside News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oceanside

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:46 am PST