First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Funny

Oceana, WV

#1 Nov 20, 2012
What is it nowdays with everybody being Bipolar?? They act as if they are proud of it also. It's nothing more than depression and the dr's wanted to label it..LOL. Bipolar is another name for "Temper Tantrums",LOL
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#2 Nov 20, 2012
Funny wrote:
What is it nowdays with everybody being Bipolar?? They act as if they are proud of it also. It's nothing more than depression and the dr's wanted to label it..LOL. Bipolar is another name for "Temper Tantrums",LOL
actually, it's more than depression. it's marked with episodes of extreme anxiety as well. they go hand in hand. I think you're hearing more about it because the stigma around BiPolarism is lessening. there are excellent drugs out there for those who are truly bipolar. and of course these drugs work best when in combo with talk therapy. good luck everyone.
I know better
#3 Nov 20, 2012
Funny wrote:
It is a lot more than temper tantrums..u have a computer..look it up.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#4 Nov 20, 2012
Funny wrote:
also, i don't think people are "proud" per se of their disorder, but it's more acceptable because we know more about these illnesses. light has been shed and it's being talked about more. clinical depression is serious business and it's way more than merely "having the blues." Bi Polarism is no picnic either, but there is help!
Gotta Agree

United States

#5 Nov 20, 2012
I have to agree with FUNNY it seems like everyone that has the sniffles theese days gets diagnosed as bipolar. I'm not saying it's not a serious condition but how in the world does 99% of the world have it? seems a bit much to me. I belive the Dr's just can't come up with anything else so thats what they call everything!
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#6 Nov 20, 2012
Gotta Agree wrote:
I have to agree with FUNNY it seems like everyone that has the sniffles theese days gets diagnosed as bipolar. I'm not saying it's not a serious condition but how in the world does 99% of the world have it? seems a bit much to me. I belive the Dr's just can't come up with anything else so thats what they call everything!
i'm pretty sure that 99% of the world does NOT have bipolarism. do you even know what it is? i have a masters in psychology so i know a little bit on the subject. like i said before, we are hearing MORE about these illnesses now because the stigma around them is lessening. it's OK to get help, nobody needs to suffer alone. once diagnosed, people have a choice: 1) get help or 2) suffer in silence. sometimes i think that people just want a NAME for their symptoms and others use the NAME as a crutch. either way, there is help out there!
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#7 Nov 20, 2012
Gotta Agree wrote:
actually, the Dr.'s have indeed "come up with something else," it's all outlined in the DSM IV. the psychologist's bible. Version 5 comes out in may. Wooooh! educate yourself before you spew.
First hand

Welch, WV

#8 Nov 20, 2012
I know many ppl with it and they are sooo confused lol One min they love ya, then they hate ya... lol They are so confused on life and I really feel bad for em.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#9 Nov 20, 2012
First hand wrote:
I know many ppl with it and they are sooo confused lol One min they love ya, then they hate ya... lol They are so confused on life and I really feel bad for em.
it's no joke. i wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
in college i had a bipolar roommate, whew, never dull in that house. one day, the dude went off his meds cold turkey (you're not supposed to do that). OMG, poor puppy, he was hallucinating and practically foaming at the mouth - a far cry from "the blues." if one truly understands the nature of bipolarism, they would know that it's not to be taken lightly...it's no laughing matter people....
Duhhh

Oceana, WV

#10 Nov 20, 2012
Steph wrote:
<quoted text>
it's no joke. i wouldn't wish it upon anyone.
in college i had a bipolar roommate, whew, never dull in that house. one day, the dude went off his meds cold turkey (you're not supposed to do that). OMG, poor puppy, he was hallucinating and practically foaming at the mouth - a far cry from "the blues." if one truly understands the nature of bipolarism, they would know that it's not to be taken lightly...it's no laughing matter people....
You say it's no joke or laughing matter but still YOU comment calling your bipolar roomie a Poor puppy and go on to further say he was foaming at the mouth?? You sure you aren't Bipolar yourself???
Duhhh

Oceana, WV

#11 Nov 20, 2012
I can almost bet that if scientist told everyone there was a new disease called "Scratch your ass", then all of a sudden everybody would be saying they have it, or else want a dr to tell them they did so they could get on a check,LOL
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#12 Nov 20, 2012
Duhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
You say it's no joke or laughing matter but still YOU comment calling your bipolar roomie a Poor puppy and go on to further say he was foaming at the mouth?? You sure you aren't Bipolar yourself???
i'm not sure of your point, can please rephrase? i am not bi-polar thank goodness. perhaps a little OCD though (but I don't seek to normalize that). i speak the truth:
It surely is NOT a laughing matter and my ex-roomie was a poor puppy the day he went off his meds. he WAS LITERALLY frothing at the mouth, I'm not joking. he was on all 4's and i think he thought he was a lion - he was growling. i'm not kidding. i knew what was up because my other roomie told me that he went off his meds. I remained very neutral with him, but it was SCARY. we called his mom and she took him to the hospital. he got back on his lithium (that's what people took in the 90's) and stabilized thank god.
i'm not sure where your criticism for me is coming from?!
have you ever encountered someone mid-episode? i'm thinking not because you wouldn't be making light of it.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#13 Nov 20, 2012
Duhhh wrote:
I can almost bet that if scientist told everyone there was a new disease called "Scratch your ass", then all of a sudden everybody would be saying they have it, or else want a dr to tell them they did so they could get on a check,LOL
checks? i hear that is a WV specialty.....an "art form" of sorts.

anyhow.....i'm not here to argue. mental illness is real. this will be all.
Duhhh

Oceana, WV

#14 Nov 20, 2012
Steph wrote:
<quoted text>
checks? i hear that is a WV specialty.....an "art form" of sorts.
anyhow.....i'm not here to argue. mental illness is real. this will be all.
It is so obvious that you DO NOT like WV, so please enlighten us all on WHY you stay in the WV forum's?? "Checks" are not only given out in WV but also every other state! I agree, mental illness is real and "Depression" is mental illness! Over half of the US suffer's from, or will suffer from depression. Read what the poster that started this thread had said before trying to present yourself as intelligent in this type of illness. I am not here to argue either or make light of an illness, only stating my opinion and what I have stated is exactly how I view the matter.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#15 Nov 20, 2012
while i'm not an active therapist presently, i noticed many things in my training, namely the over diagnosis of ADD/ADHD in children. lazy parents would come in wanting the diagnosis, THE NAME - when really their kids were just being kids. i would tell them, "go parent your kids. feed them right and make sure they get plenty of exercise and stimulation." A lot of the lazy parents just wanted the drugs for their kids. I'm not making light of ADHD either, for a severe case is no picnic any more than one suffering from bipolarism is.

manage your demons people, or not........but know that THERE IS HELP.
Duhhh

Oceana, WV

#16 Nov 20, 2012
Steph wrote:
<quoted text>
i'm not sure of your point, can please rephrase? i am not bi-polar thank goodness. perhaps a little OCD though (but I don't seek to normalize that). i speak the truth:
It surely is NOT a laughing matter and my ex-roomie was a poor puppy the day he went off his meds. he WAS LITERALLY frothing at the mouth, I'm not joking. he was on all 4's and i think he thought he was a lion - he was growling. i'm not kidding. i knew what was up because my other roomie told me that he went off his meds. I remained very neutral with him, but it was SCARY. we called his mom and she took him to the hospital. he got back on his lithium (that's what people took in the 90's) and stabilized thank god.
i'm not sure where your criticism for me is coming from?!
have you ever encountered someone mid-episode? i'm thinking not because you wouldn't be making light of it.
How can someone that is supposed to have intelligence enough to be in college not have intelligence enough to take the necessary meds that they desperately need to function?? I fail to see any intelligence in that at all. Were they also into Psychology? I do not know what state you are from nor do I care but here in WV too many want to use any illness they have, or get a dr to say they have, in order to play as their trump card so to speak. I have encountered several that claim to be bipolar and are no more bipolar than the dr that diagnosed them with it, same as with Fibromyalgia!! Bipolar is nothing more than a mental illness/depression that has been around for YEARS!!

“Taste great in milk!”

Level 9

Since: Aug 08

#17 Nov 20, 2012
Steph loves WV.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#18 Nov 20, 2012
Duhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
It is so obvious that you DO NOT like WV, so please enlighten us all on WHY you stay in the WV forum's?? "Checks" are not only given out in WV but also every other state! I agree, mental illness is real and "Depression" is mental illness! Over half of the US suffer's from, or will suffer from depression. Read what the poster that started this thread had said before trying to present yourself as intelligent in this type of illness. I am not here to argue either or make light of an illness, only stating my opinion and what I have stated is exactly how I view the matter.
you brought up the Checks, i was just agreeing with ya! i have big love for WV. it's an ironic kind of love, but a love no doubt. i very much read what the first poster had to say, which led me to believe that he/she doesn't have a firm hold on what BiPolarism really means. it's ugly and real when it manifests - and this is me stating MY opinion on how I view the matter. all i'm saying is that bipolarism is not a joke - it's not an argument. you have yourself a pleasant evening Duhhh.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#19 Nov 20, 2012
Steph wrote:
while i'm not an active therapist presently, i noticed many things in my training, namely the over diagnosis of ADD/ADHD in children. lazy parents would come in wanting the diagnosis, THE NAME - when really their kids were just being kids. i would tell them, "go parent your kids. feed them right and make sure they get plenty of exercise and stimulation." A lot of the lazy parents just wanted the drugs for their kids. I'm not making light of ADHD either, for a severe case is no picnic any more than one suffering from bipolarism is.
manage your demons people, or not........but know that THERE IS HELP.
and in regards to the first post, i'm not sure anyone who is truly bipolar is "proud" is their illness. that is ludicrous.
Steph

San Rafael, CA

#20 Nov 20, 2012
Duhhh wrote:
<quoted text>
How can someone that is supposed to have intelligence enough to be in college not have intelligence enough to take the necessary meds that they desperately need to function?? I fail to see any intelligence in that at all. Were they also into Psychology? I do not know what state you are from nor do I care but here in WV too many want to use any illness they have, or get a dr to say they have, in order to play as their trump card so to speak. I have encountered several that claim to be bipolar and are no more bipolar than the dr that diagnosed them with it, same as with Fibromyalgia!! Bipolar is nothing more than a mental illness/depression that has been around for YEARS!!
if someone is mentally ill, they might not have the wherewithall to get regular with their meds. they are confused and often erratic...not always their own best advocate.

um, i don't disagree with a lot of this!
i agree with you completely that many people use a Name or Diagnosis as a crutch. without a doubt!! but i don't want to make light of people who are truly suffering - those "puppies" are the ones who slip through the cracks, sadly.
just for the record, depression and bipolarism are very different beasts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 11,031
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 1 hr _Zoey_ 5,881
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 3 hr RSM 4,084
Tonya Barefoot 7 hr Post Watching 4
Word game (Jun '12) Sat luci 1,442
When does pool open Sat Benny 13
Don't Fart in church Sat Silent but deadly 2

Oceana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance