Shooting in Wyoming County May be Murder

Shooting in Wyoming County May be Murder

There are 138 comments on the WVNS-TV story from Aug 14, 2006, titled Shooting in Wyoming County May be Murder. In it, WVNS-TV reports that:

A father and his stepson are charged in what might be a murder case. Story by Steve Ring Email Bio State Police say a Monday night shooting in Wyoming County is the result of a long-running feud.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WVNS-TV.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Oceana

United States

#1 Aug 15, 2006
Self-Defense? Ok. That makes no sense, seeing as how he was shot in the BACK of the head. It would have only been self-defense if Fred had shot him or at least at him, but we're talking about a man who didn't even carry a gun so I see that as highly unlikely. It's not a question of who Fred was or what had happened in the past, the fact that it was premeditated cold blooded murder cancels all that out. It's common knowledge in Oceana Wv, that it was seeing as he was talking about doing it a month prior to the murder. I think that it's better to ask why a 16 or 17 year old boy would do this and what that says about his characture, personality, and home life rather than ask the obviously ignorant question of weather it was self-defense. This is obviously a person who had no care in the world about morals, common desency, and respecting the lives of others. I can't imagine aking someones life, and I'm alot older than 16, and I surely can't imagine going to someones uncles house and doing this with litle children present watching out the windows. You should not be allowed to blatantly take someones life away in cold blood and get away with it, which I hope he dosen't get to do. When someone dies, and you kill them, you aren't only killing that person you're killing a big part of alot of peoples lives. That was soneones Son, someones Father, someones family member, and someones beloved friend. This shouldn't even have happened, but since it has these people should be punished, and be tried for murder, not passed off on the shaky excuse of self-defense or having "crazy papers" that to me, would be our legal system at it's worst and would only further the thoughts of the community that it is possiable for someone to get away with murder in Wyoming County, and yes, living here that appears to have been the case a few times over. If this is allowed to happen again it will be absolutly unacceptable, and something should be done about it.
Freds sis

Salado, TX

#2 Aug 25, 2006
I'd really like to know why my sisters and husbands comments have not been posting. I guess who ever is the moderator doesn't like what they are writing. I hope the guys who killed my brother burn for an eternity.
Justice

Richmond, VA

#3 Aug 25, 2006
I completely agree with the comments above. Previous newspaper articles such as the one in the Charleston Gazette written on August 16th seemed totally bias. At the time of the article, the autopsy had not been conducted and it had not yet been determined which weapon fired the fatal shot. If it had in fact come from a .410 shotgun, nothing would have been left of the young victim's face. The article focused on the teen suspect and hardly mentioned the 57 year old step-father. Both need to be tried and convicted of first degree murder and a more in depth investigation needs to be conducted. It is absurd to think these two murders are already out of jail and walking free.

Since: May 07

Southern WV

#4 May 12, 2007
I totally agree with the statement of people getting the ideal that you can get away with murder in Wyo. Co. It's basically already happened once that I know of. The police totally botched the investigation of the Doug Short shooting. They didn't properly secure the scene, they "lost" the video tape from the store, it took them way too long to respond, the first responders in Brenton were NOT called to the scene. Many other things were not done according to statute. Face it, as long as we have the Sheriff and some of the so-called Deputies that we have in this county, it is possible to get away with murder.
They still don't know what happened to the Collins man, even though they have been given testimony that two people in this county killed them. How much more do they need to at least take a warrant out on these people. They were found with the man's pills and his gun.
Joann

United States

#5 Jul 17, 2007
My Brother was also killed in Brenton and the police was driving by about the same time my brother was screaming for help from them we had to bury him May,1996 I hope they also at least try to improve there. I also hope the guy who killed him has to see his face each night before he goes to bed.
concerned citizen 123

United States

#6 Sep 23, 2007
Well I have something to say about the shooting in Oceana. I figure they all had allot to do with this shooting. They were doing drugs, stealing and even sleeping with the young boys mother. I know that to be true. All of the that doesn't mix. And I know that before the police got to the house of the shooting that they had 30 minutes to clean up the scene. Allote of shell casings and things could have been picked up and the guns hide. I know a girl that was setting in the drive way that the cops haven't even asked a question to. And if they would question her they would know allot more answers about what happened that day. The law needs to investigate the burning of the house the boy and his parents were living in at the time. It was burned within a week after shooting. Coincidence I don't think so. I think the people who lived in the house were lucky they were hiddening from all the death threats that they had received or they would have been burnt to death. What does that say about the morals the people have that done this. THINK ABOUT THAT!
fact keeper

United States

#7 Dec 4, 2007
Joann wrote:
My Brother was also killed in Brenton and the police was driving by about the same time my brother was screaming for help from them we had to bury him May,1996 I hope they also at least try to improve there. I also hope the guy who killed him has to see his face each night before he goes to bed.
Whoever this is may want to get their facts straight before typing a commment. The video tape was NOT lost and was going to be used in the trial. The grand jury, who are CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTY, only indicted him for manslaughter. He plead to the maximum sentence as to what he was indicted for. Futhermore it seems as though this person isn't too good of an investigator or they would have known these FACTS before commenting.
christmas

Oceana, WV

#8 Dec 8, 2007
In my prayers.
1 post removed
know the facts

United States

#10 Dec 13, 2007
concerned citizen 123....... Do you know this family? Was it your father, brother, best friend, boyfriend?...You have no idea how this family or this boys friends feel. If the boys mother wasn't a pill whore it would have never happen. There is nothing in this world that you could do to make it bad enough to take someone's life. Take a father away from a precious little boy. He's truly the one that has to pay. And the killer making his only little girl grow up and be totured for his mistakes because she is his and is going to be raised around here. That's morals, that's good ethics right. Get real.
DONNA

United States

#11 Dec 13, 2007
WHEN ARE THE PEOPLE OF WYOMING COUNTY GONNA REALIZE,NOTHING GETS INVESTIGATED,THEY TAKE A FEW STATEMENTS,GIVE THEIR STATEMENT TO THE PRESS HOW THEY WANT AND EVERYTHING ENDS UP PLED IN COURT.THAT'S THE ONLY THING PROSECUTER TODD HOUCK KNOWS,PLEA,HE NEEDS TO DO HIS JOB AND PROSECUTE.NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE OR WITNESSES,HE PLEAS,I KNOW.MY FAMILY JUST WENT THROUGH THIS,HIM PROMISING NOT TO PLEA AND WAITED ALMOST 3 YEARS,FAMILY THINKING WE WERE GONNA GET A TRIAL AND HE PLEAS THE CASE.TRYING TO CLEAR HIS AGENDA BEFORE CAMPAIGN TIME,I HOPE THE COUNTY LOOKS AT THIS AND THINKS,IF A CRIME WAS DONE TO YOU,DO YOU WANT HIM TO BE THE ONE HANDING DOWN THE SENTENCE.ONE DAY YOU MAY WALK IN MY FAMILYS SHOES.
Good Subject

Jacksonville, TX

#12 Dec 14, 2007
DONNA wrote:
WHEN ARE THE PEOPLE OF WYOMING COUNTY GONNA REALIZE,NOTHING GETS INVESTIGATED,THEY TAKE A FEW STATEMENTS,GIVE THEIR STATEMENT TO THE PRESS HOW THEY WANT AND EVERYTHING ENDS UP PLED IN COURT.THAT'S THE ONLY THING PROSECUTER TODD HOUCK KNOWS,PLEA,HE NEEDS TO DO HIS JOB AND PROSECUTE.NO MATTER HOW MUCH EVIDENCE OR WITNESSES,HE PLEAS,I KNOW.MY FAMILY JUST WENT THROUGH THIS,HIM PROMISING NOT TO PLEA AND WAITED ALMOST 3 YEARS,FAMILY THINKING WE WERE GONNA GET A TRIAL AND HE PLEAS THE CASE.TRYING TO CLEAR HIS AGENDA BEFORE CAMPAIGN TIME,I HOPE THE COUNTY LOOKS AT THIS AND THINKS,IF A CRIME WAS DONE TO YOU,DO YOU WANT HIM TO BE THE ONE HANDING DOWN THE SENTENCE.ONE DAY YOU MAY WALK IN MY FAMILYS SHOES.
If you research it, I believe you will find that Houck has never successfully prosecuted anyone. Even worse, word is that he will probably step into Judge Harko's shoes when he retires. If you don't think it can get any worse in Wyoming County, it can.
3 dog nite

Clear Spring, MD

#13 Dec 15, 2007
Good Subject wrote:
<quoted text>
If you research it, I believe you will find that Houck has never successfully prosecuted anyone. Even worse, word is that he will probably step into Judge Harko's shoes when he retires. If you don't think it can get any worse in Wyoming County, it can.
Thats a scary thought!
DONNA

United States

#14 Dec 16, 2007
WELL IT LOOKS LIKE EVERYONE KNOWS HOW HE IS SO I GUESS IF YOU DON'T WANT THAT KIND OF JUSTICE,GET OUT THERE AND "VOTE".
1 post removed
Westside Mother

Welch, WV

#16 Jan 14, 2008
Very Sad
RENEGADE GRADUATE 2005

United States

#17 Jan 14, 2008
I totally agree with the statement of people getting the ideal that you can get away with murder in Wyo. Co. It's basically already happened once that I know of. The police totally botched the investigation of the Doug Short shooting. They didn't properly secure the scene, they "lost" the video tape from the store, it took them way too long to respond, the first responders in Brenton were NOT called to the scene. Many other things were not done according to statute. Face it, as long as we have the Sheriff and some of the so-called Deputies that we have in this county, it is possible to get away with murder.
They still don't know what happened to the Collins man, even though they have been given testimony that two people in this county killed them. How much more do they need to at least take a warrant out on these people. They were found with the man's pills and his gun.

WELL AS FAR AS OUR POLICE FORCE GOES WE HAVE PRETTY GOOD ONES AND I AM SURE THEY HAVE DONE ALL THEY COULD DO ACCORDING TO WHAT I HAVE HEARD BUT OUR POLICE FORCE COME ON NOW PPL LETS NOT BLAME THEM OUR GUYS PUT THERE LIVES ON THE LINES EVERYDAYT FOR OUR COUNTY AND THEY DONT EVEN GET ANY RECOGNITION FOR IT AND I WILL SAY MY HATS OFF TO OUR POLICE FORCE IN PINEVILLE GOOD JOB GUYS I AM PROUD OF YA IF NO ONE ELSE IN THE COUNTY IS
Indiana-Wyo Cty family

Hanover Park, IL

#18 Jan 15, 2008
RENEGADE GRADUATE 2005 wrote:
WELL AS FAR AS OUR POLICE FORCE GOES WE HAVE PRETTY GOOD ONES AND I AM SURE THEY HAVE DONE ALL THEY COULD DO ACCORDING TO WHAT I HAVE HEARD BUT OUR POLICE FORCE COME ON NOW PPL LETS NOT BLAME THEM OUR GUYS PUT THERE LIVES ON THE LINES EVERYDAYT FOR OUR COUNTY AND THEY DONT EVEN GET ANY RECOGNITION FOR IT AND I WILL SAY MY HATS OFF TO OUR POLICE FORCE IN PINEVILLE GOOD JOB GUYS I AM PROUD OF YA IF NO ONE ELSE IN THE COUNTY IS
You graduated from what school? Were you ever taught to use a period, comma or question mark?

Since: Jan 08

United States

#19 Jan 16, 2008
Let Fred R.I.P I miss him alot he was a wonderful person to me all through school and after I graduated. He was well liked and will always be remembered.
3 DOG NITE

United States

#20 Jan 17, 2008
That he was & had a wonderful smile that would melt anyones heart.
1 post removed
Heather Morgan

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#22 Jan 20, 2008
I ran around with Fred most of my life...He help my momma take care of me when I was sick and he had planned on teachin me how to box. I'll never forget when I found out Brandon killed him!! I hate Brandon and Joann for everything they've done.They tore my family apart. No we werent real family but on the streets he was my brother no matter what..They'll get theirs one day and I hope and pray I get to see them get exactly what they deserve. No they dont deserve to die- but they do deserve to live in agony for the rest of their worhtless lives. And the sad part of it was- Fred took care of Brandon and took him places with him and one night everyhting changed!All of this has changed everyone of us...after Fred died everyone fell apart. But deep down inside we all know where we came from.
I miss him so much- One day I know I'll see him again and what a glore it will be to see him and my momma again. R*I*P Fred!!I LUV YA BUBBY!
oceanawoman

Ithaca, NY

#23 Jan 20, 2008
DONNA wrote:
Wonder what Prosecuter Todd Houck is going to do about what the manger of the Oceana Apartments done signing his names to letters that he didnt even know nothing,I bet he didnt like that one to well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 29 min luci 6,341
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 30 min luci 11,595
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) Thu Matt Kelly 4,301
Lexi Thu Daniel 1
meth Thu blondeandbeautiful 8
Word game (Jun '12) Nov 15 SWAMP WITCH 1,643
Ginos Nov 14 Wouldnt you like... 9

Oceana Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance