For lots of hard work and very little pay

They risk their lives day in and day out,

For it's their families they worry about

They worry about clothes and shoes for their feet,

They worry about bills and food to eat.

They donít get enough pay for what they must do,

Some call them crazy others call them fools

If you ask them why, hereís what they will say,

Thereís no better job with any better pay.

Itís dark in there so you miners beware,

Watch out for each other and miners take care

Keep your light shining; keep it at all times

So your way back out youíll be able to find.

Letís all say a prayer as they enter in,

God let them come out and see daylight again

God please watch over these brave West Virginia men

“Grasshoppa'”

Since: Feb 08

AOL

#2 Feb 11, 2008
The Coal Miners Prayer
By W. Calvert

Each dawn as we rise, Lord we know all too well,
We face only one thing- a pit filled with hell.
To scratch out a living the best that we can,
But deep in our hearts, lies the soul of a man.

With black covered faces, and hard calloused hands,
we work the dark tunnels, unable to stand.
To labor and toil as we harvest the coals,
We silently pray, "Lord, Please harvest our souls."
1 post removed

Since: Oct 07

United States

#4 Feb 11, 2008
I respect and am greatful for our coal miners. I am proud to work in and support the industry.

“Grasshoppa'”

AOL

#5 Feb 12, 2008
_Poopie_ wrote:
I respect and am greatful for our coal miners. I am proud to work in and support the industry.
I respect them also....(you too Poopie)
2 posts removed
depressed mom

Orgas, WV

#8 Feb 13, 2008
My husband and son woek in the mines, they work very hard, my son has aged in the 3 yrs hes been there,its dad but its money for around here :(

“Grasshoppa'”

AOL

#9 Feb 13, 2008
depressed mom wrote:
My husband and son woek in the mines, they work very hard, my son has aged in the 3 yrs hes been there,its dad but its money for around here :(
I am SOOO glad someone replied to this, considering that MOST of the men around here DO work in the mines. That is why I started this discussion, hoping that someone would have something nice to say for a change. These men need to be recognized! THey have dangerous jobs. Tell your family to be safe.
1 post removed

Since: Jan 08

Oceana

#11 Feb 13, 2008
Bruce Lee Roy wrote:
<quoted text>
I am SOOO glad someone replied to this, considering that MOST of the men around here DO work in the mines. That is why I started this discussion, hoping that someone would have something nice to say for a change. These men need to be recognized! THey have dangerous jobs. Tell your family to be safe.
Hey I come from a long line of coal miners, grandfather, father, brothers and husband. I have the greatest respect for these miners, I have seen the tole that it has taken on thier bodies it is hard work, not as hard as it used to be but still hard and dangerous.

Since: Jan 08

Oceana

#12 Feb 13, 2008
Sorry I meant toll not tole, been out of school waaaay too long. LOL Also forgot to mention that when these miners retire they aare not physicaly able to enjoy the retirement years.
Summer

Sutton, WV

#13 Feb 13, 2008
I have so Much Respect For Coal Miner's There work Is so Dangorous My baby was A Coal Miner but
He Quit cause his PawPaw Died cause Of the Coal Mine's But yea It sucks:[
MAD Respect TO Yall

“Grasshoppa'”

AOL

#14 Feb 13, 2008
carolsuezq wrote:
<quoted text>Hey I come from a long line of coal miners, grandfather, father, brothers and husband. I have the greatest respect for these miners, I have seen the tole that it has taken on thier bodies it is hard work, not as hard as it used to be but still hard and dangerous.
You are correct! They do not get to really enjoy their retirement because they are so run down.....I think they should get paid SOOOO much more for the jobs they do.
Summer

Sutton, WV

#15 Feb 14, 2008
Well I think they could get Paid more but then in the same Extent The do get paid Damn Good:}I love the money my baby used to bring home:}
AOL

United States

#16 Feb 14, 2008
I HAVE GREAT RESPECT FOR THE COAL MINERS AND I AGREE THEY DON'T GET ENOUGH RECOGNITION FOR WHAT THEY DO. IT TAKES A SPECIAL BREED TO DO THAT DAY IN AND DAY OUT. I DON'T KNOW THAT I COULD OUT OF ALL HONESTY. I TRUELY DO APPRECIATE WHAT THEY DO CAUSE I KNOW THAT IT HELPS TO KEEP WEST VIRGINIAS' ECONOMY GOING. AND WE DO HAVE A WONDERFUL AND BEAUTIFUL STATE!!
AOL

United States

#17 Feb 14, 2008
BRUCE LEE ROY ( WHO EVER YOU ARE) THE POEM WAS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND HAD A LOT OF MEANING TO IT. IT SAY A LOT!!!!
FDG

Raleigh, NC

#18 Feb 14, 2008
My Dad and Grandfather were both coal miners. When I was 15, my Dad took me inside the mine he worked in. 36" seam of coal. He told me, "Look around. Look where I have to come and work everyday. You can do anything you want in your life, Son, except mine coal." He provided a damn fine life for my brothers and I, but that was probably the best advice he ever gave me.
so tired

Orgas, WV

#19 Feb 14, 2008
my husbands a retired miner when we were young we had big plans to travel on retirement but a big trip now is to the grocery store
somewhere out there

Oceana, WV

#20 Feb 14, 2008
Why is it so hard for a guy to get started in the mines? They go pay for their class and cant get anyone to hire them. How can you get the experience without a chance to work???
small town girl

United States

#21 Feb 14, 2008
somewhere out there wrote:
Why is it so hard for a guy to get started in the mines? They go pay for their class and cant get anyone to hire them. How can you get the experience without a chance to work???
I agree, my husband has his 40 hour card but can't find someone to hire him because they want experienced miners only. It's very frustrating. Does anyone know any mines that are hiring for above ground work...I don't even care if it's sweeping floors at this point.
baller_11

Orgas, WV

#22 Feb 14, 2008
My dads a coal miner and they deserve respect...every time he goes out at night i wonder and pray that he will see the light again...miners work very hard at what the do...and electricity from coal is 99% of the electricity in west virginia.....im proud to be a daughter of a west virginia coal miner

!!!***and i loved ur poem***!!!
baller_11

Orgas, WV

#23 Feb 14, 2008
wv coal miners really deserve our respect...they work a very dangerous job...and electricity from coal is 99% of the electricity used in wv so think of how much coal our fathers,brothers
,grandpaws, husbands and ect. have to mine!!! I am proud to say i am the daughter of a
West Virginia coal miner!!

I luved ur poem!!!
baller_11

Orgas, WV

#24 Feb 14, 2008
srry bout postin it twice(at least i think i did) i didnt think it posted

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 6 hr hillbilly 57,163
Who got fit i town 6 hr Harvard lawyers 52
Word Association... (Jun '12) 7 hr _Zoey_ 1,114
Word game (Jun '12) 7 hr _Zoey_ 614
age difference 9 hr Loving On Back ... 19
Cell signal 10 hr Cindy 13
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 10 hr mudpuppy 1,601
•••
•••
Oceana Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••