Hillbilly Savants: The Oceana, West Virginia, Monster...

Jan 25, 2008 Full story: hillbillysavants.blogspot.com 15
Wednesday, September 05, 2007 The Oceana, West Virginia, Monster... The following is not from a Twilight Zone episode, it is from a news report in The Independent Herald, in Pineville, West Virginia. A creature is lost in Oceana, West Virginia, in 1978. The Oceana Creature by Ron Mullens; Courtesy of the Independent Herald Is a seven-foot humanoid monster with Olympic jumping ability and an unearthly cry stalking the night shrouded streets of Oceana? Patrolman Bill Pratt of the Oceana Police Department says the monster exists "and it isn't any (censored) bird, either!" Pratt says he had his close encounter with the beast early Monday morning while on patrol near the Oceana Town Hall. Others who have heard the creature's call or who have caught fleeting glimpses of the unidentified varmint write it off as misdirected crane or heron which somehow mistook the town of Oceana for the marshlands of the Atlantic or Gulf Coast. But Pratt, questioned by town officials, citizens, Department of Natural Resources personnel, the news media and even monster chasers from Ohio and beyond, remains steadfast in his contention that what he saw near the Johnny Aliff residence early Monday morning was not a bird "and it wasn't like anything else I ever saw." Full Story
wva mom

Orgas, WV

#1 Jan 29, 2008
I remember that. One night My aunts house was broken into and everyone thought that bird did it and I also rememeber the police coming and chasing it across the river, I think Raymond Walker was a cop, but I was only 8 years old at the time. But it did turn out to be a crane. funny.
GO_GO_POWER_RANG ER

Lyburn, WV

#2 Jan 29, 2008
lol, I was going to say I've never heard about it.
i know i know

United States

#3 Feb 1, 2008
wow i sure would like to see it. maybe we have a big foot in oceana.
WyomingcountyGir l

AOL

#4 Feb 2, 2008
Hey,Here About Month Ago Around End December There Was Big Moutain Lion Here In Moutains.Lol.Honest..It Was Like About 11:30Pm At Nite I Live Last Trailer On Top.Shorts Mobile Home Park.My 2Young Boys Wanted Go Outt And Look For It.I Told Them No...Butt,I Know What It Was..Big Oh Moutain Lion...Here In Oceana Wyoming County.Wva..I Could Nott Believe It..Butt There It Stood Lookin Straight At Me..And Im Nott From Around Here In This State..Virginia Is Were Im From..Its Me My 4Children Lives Alone..It Is Scarey...
rockinretta

United States

#5 Mar 4, 2008
WyomingcountyGirl wrote:
Hey,Here About Month Ago Around End December There Was Big Moutain Lion Here In Moutains.Lol.Honest..It Was Like About 11:30Pm At Nite I Live Last Trailer On Top.Shorts Mobile Home Park.My 2Young Boys Wanted Go Outt And Look For It.I Told Them No...Butt,I Know What It Was..Big Oh Moutain Lion...Here In Oceana Wyoming County.Wva..I Could Nott Believe It..Butt There It Stood Lookin Straight At Me..And Im Nott From Around Here In This State..Virginia Is Were Im From..Its Me My 4Children Lives Alone..It Is Scarey...
Bless ur heart.. Yes they are scary and I do beieve u saw it.
1 post removed
sum gurl frum there

United States

#7 Mar 11, 2008
I think that's the craziest story I have ever heard....lol Sounds like something ur grandparents would say if they wanted to scare u...lol Come on people...really?
Proud Widow Pritt

Palmyra, VA

#8 Apr 28, 2008
Let me tell you!!! I know it was the truth.I don't care what anybody says....
Proud Widow Pritt

Palmyra, VA

#9 Apr 28, 2008
gailpritt@embarqmail.com

Listen he is deceased I'm his widow I know what he seen he did not lie about it and don't know one say he was lying just like the girl from chas. You sure don't know what he seen , but I do he's not here to take up for himself but I'm here for him and I will take up for him!!!

Since: Feb 08

United States

#10 Apr 28, 2008
Has there been any reports or talk of this since then? Seems like I remember my parents mentioning something like this. What about that movie "Moth Man" or however and whatever it's called. Could it have been that??? Just wondering.
Deer_Hunter7369

Oceana, WV

#11 May 4, 2008
I Am Kunfused wrote:
Has there been any reports or talk of this since then? Seems like I remember my parents mentioning something like this. What about that movie "Moth Man" or however and whatever it's called. Could it have been that??? Just wondering.
The Moth Man was in Point Pleasant,WV about 3 hours away from Oceana

“Smileing is my favorite!”

Since: Mar 08

Oceana

#12 May 6, 2008
My dad had incounter with a big foot when he lived in the old house that use to sit before they put a hardees in. I was just a baby then, and He said he seen it across the road. He said it freaked him out.
Marsha Woolwine

Schenectady, NY

#13 May 8, 2008
I remember it well, it turned out to be just a large bird, a whopping crane I think.
vaaudi

Leesburg, VA

#14 Jul 22, 2008
ok i live here in northern va, leesburg. Tonight me and my friend were on my porch and we heard a branch crack, it wasnt too loud but loud enough to look over in that direction (about 30/50 yds away right where my yard meets woods) We didnt think anything of it untill the creature started to run extremely fast through the woods, breaking heavy branches very easily, and making a extremely haunting cry while running. The scream/cry w.e it was making was very loud and didnt sound like anything ive ever heard. I was trying to think of any kind of animal it sounded remotely like and the best i could come up with was a very very large bird (my guess before i read this article was 250-300 lbs) but the scream it was making didnt sound like it had a beak but something else. Really just an unexplaibale sound. It was dark out about 11pm and the creature was running through the woods about as fast as a human can run in a straight sprint. The fact that it was so big, running that fast in pitch black woods is very strange. It ran for about 10 seconds (from the right to left of us) screaming very distressed sounding call and came to a random and instant stop. After this there was never another sound that came from the woods not even a small branch crack. We stayed out for another hr and nothing. Which makes me believe after reading this article that maybe it jumped? I dont know I was searching around trying to figure out what it might be and stumbled across this. If anyone has anything else please share
jman

Roanoke, VA

#15 Mar 26, 2012
Me my mom and cozen seen somthing In the woods two days ago in Charleston wv..it stood on two legs very dark and tall..we noticed its eyes.my cuz threw a rock at the thing and it showd its teeth.and then it was gone it scared the shit out of us. My mom cried .now shes traumatizd...before the sighting I often heard things and got really irie feelings in that location in the woods

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

#16 Mar 26, 2012
vaaudi wrote:
ok i live here in northern va, leesburg. Tonight me and my friend were on my porch and we heard a branch crack, it wasnt too loud but loud enough to look over in that direction (about 30/50 yds away right where my yard meets woods) We didnt think anything of it untill the creature started to run extremely fast through the woods, breaking heavy branches very easily, and making a extremely haunting cry while running. The scream/cry w.e it was making was very loud and didnt sound like anything ive ever heard. I was trying to think of any kind of animal it sounded remotely like and the best i could come up with was a very very large bird (my guess before i read this article was 250-300 lbs) but the scream it was making didnt sound like it had a beak but something else. Really just an unexplaibale sound. It was dark out about 11pm and the creature was running through the woods about as fast as a human can run in a straight sprint. The fact that it was so big, running that fast in pitch black woods is very strange. It ran for about 10 seconds (from the right to left of us) screaming very distressed sounding call and came to a random and instant stop. After this there was never another sound that came from the woods not even a small branch crack. We stayed out for another hr and nothing. Which makes me believe after reading this article that maybe it jumped? I dont know I was searching around trying to figure out what it might be and stumbled across this. If anyone has anything else please share
That sounds like an Ostrich,they make a very loud noise and can run extremly fast! Maybe someone bought one as a pet and let it loose because when they are big,I would say they would be hard to handel.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oceana Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Haley Daniels 14 min Kayla 1
Drop a Word, Add a Word (Mar '10) 33 min Junket 8,120
Doctors office 7 hr Cadet 5
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 13 hr Theo 1,874
fed up !!! Wed curious 16
Grade School Oct 20 Wynonna 1
Dollar store in town Oct 20 Frank 15
Oceana Dating
Find my Match

Oceana Jobs