Your opinions, please

Posted in the Oceana Forum

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

How many of you believe that America is a Christian nation?

You don't have to give a big response- just a simple yes or no will do. I don't want to debate about it. I'm already doing that on other threads. I'm just curious to know what all of you think. So....

Is America a Christian nation?
for real

Smithers, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

4

2

2

America is multi religion

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Sep 14, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

1

My New Name wrote:
How many of you believe that America is a Christian nation?
You don't have to give a big response- just a simple yes or no will do. I don't want to debate about it. I'm already doing that on other threads. I'm just curious to know what all of you think. So....
Is America a Christian nation?
Here is a better question...
Why is it important to anyone if a country is considered to have the majority of people who believe in the same god as you chose to believe in?
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

3

for real wrote:
America is multi religion
From what I've seen on these forums, I think most people agree with you.

Thanks for your reply.:)
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

FDG wrote:
<quoted text>
Here is a better question...
Why is it important to anyone if a country is considered to have the majority of people who believe in the same god as you chose to believe in?
I think if more people believed America is a Christian nation, maybe they'd be more tolerant of Christianity. Maybe prayer would be allowed back in schools. Maybe Creationism could be taught without people flippin' out about it. Maybe people would show more respect for God and wouldn't boo the mention of His name at a political convention.

Don't you think people have very negative attitudes towards Christians now?

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

My New Name wrote:
<quoted text>
I think if more people believed America is a Christian nation, maybe they'd be more tolerant of Christianity. Maybe prayer would be allowed back in schools. Maybe Creationism could be taught without people flippin' out about it. Maybe people would show more respect for God and wouldn't boo the mention of His name at a political convention.
Don't you think people have very negative attitudes towards Christians now?
I am not really sure who isn't tolerant of Christianity. Christians always seem like they are in a fight and someone or some group is trying to take away your rights.

Prayer doesn't belong in schools. AT ALL! You go to school to learn, not to worship gods. I don't want my children exposed to religion. If I did, I would take them to church where the teaching of religion belongs.

People should ALWAYS flip out when someone is trying to teach Creationism. It isn't factual so therefore it doesn't belong. Schools teach facts, not beliefs.

You should always boo any religious reference at a political convention. Politics shouldn't involve deities at all. Our government made that crystal clear. Let's just stick to making our country better through policies that encourage economical growth. I'm not sure where any of the god's places are in that discussion.

The only time I ever see a negative attitude towards Christianity is when Christians try to push their way of life and their way of thinking into the national debate. When they start getting wrapped up in politics then my view will always be negative. If Christian values are what you hold dear, then by all means, you can live that way. Just don't expect me to do the same, and if you do, I will rebel every single time. I think that is a lot of what we are seeing today.

Level 6

Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

I was taught that the US is the melting pot of the world - people from everywhere could bring their culture, religion, occupations, food, languages, ambition and live here with us, where we are free to choose all that stuff for ourselves. The land of the free, right?

I researched that 80% of Americans are Christians, that's cool, so long as 100% of Americans are allowed to choose to be part of the 80% or part of the minority. When I was in elementary school, our class joined hands and prayed before lunch - in HS, our band held hands and prayed before a performance. When it occurred to me that this might be discrimination against jews (the other religion I knew about in elementary..), I was assured that "God" means whichever god a person chooses to pray to so there's nothing wrong with everyone praying to "God", because it actually applies to everyone. The idea that there is NO God didn't occur to me until I was able to disregard that I had been taught the opposite by everyone my entire life. Would you say that the public schools I attended taught me to believe in Christianity or freedom of religion?

I think the US is supposed to be tolerant of all religions. I think that people shouldn't be made to follow the ideals and rules of ANY religion unless they choose to.
Steph

Corte Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

for real wrote:
America is multi religion
agreed. and part non-religion too.
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

FDG wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not really sure who isn't tolerant of Christianity. Christians always seem like they are in a fight and someone or some group is trying to take away your rights.
Prayer doesn't belong in schools. AT ALL! You go to school to learn, not to worship gods. I don't want my children exposed to religion. If I did, I would take them to church where the teaching of religion belongs.
People should ALWAYS flip out when someone is trying to teach Creationism. It isn't factual so therefore it doesn't belong. Schools teach facts, not beliefs.
You should always boo any religious reference at a political convention. Politics shouldn't involve deities at all. Our government made that crystal clear. Let's just stick to making our country better through policies that encourage economical growth. I'm not sure where any of the god's places are in that discussion.
The only time I ever see a negative attitude towards Christianity is when Christians try to push their way of life and their way of thinking into the national debate. When they start getting wrapped up in politics then my view will always be negative. If Christian values are what you hold dear, then by all means, you can live that way. Just don't expect me to do the same, and if you do, I will rebel every single time. I think that is a lot of what we are seeing today.
In my heart, I think I will always believe that this is a Christian nation and it does sadden me to think that America is turning its back on God but I'm gonna try to quit debating the issue with people. I've been debating it on these forums for many years. I've never changed anyone's mind and no one has changed mine.

As for Creationism.... yeah, I think it should be taught. It makes just as much sense (more sense, in my opinion) as Evolution. If they're only teaching Evolution, isn't that pushing Atheist's beliefs on everyone? Either teach both beliefs or neither.
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Thank you ASM and Steph for your replies.

You know, I've never thought that people should be forced to practice Christianity. I've always believed that people should be free to choose. It just seems to me that people aren't as tolerant of Christians as they expect Christians to be of them.
Steph

Corte Madera, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

My New Name wrote:
Thank you ASM and Steph for your replies.
You know, I've never thought that people should be forced to practice Christianity. I've always believed that people should be free to choose. It just seems to me that people aren't as tolerant of Christians as they expect Christians to be of them.
yeah, forcing usually doesn't go over too well. religion is a VERY personal and subjective choice/belief and it should remain that way.

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

My New Name wrote:
<quoted text>
As for Creationism.... yeah, I think it should be taught. It makes just as much sense (more sense, in my opinion) as Evolution. If they're only teaching Evolution, isn't that pushing Atheist's beliefs on everyone? Either teach both beliefs or neither.
Well, that's the good thing about facts. It doesn't matter if you believe in them or not, they are still true.

Evolution isn't an Atheist belief. It is simply scientific fact. A truth. Something that has been proven time and time again and can't be denied.

The first thing you are doing is confusing the origins of earth and evolution. These are two distinctly different concepts and should never be interchanged. No one knows how the Earth got here. That is the only factual thing we do know. There are a lot of guesses out there by MANY different groups that give their opinion, but not is really backed up by solid science. However, this isn't the same case with Evolution. You are having trouble distiguishing the difference between the common man using the word theory, and a scientist using the word theory. They are different and have a VAST different meaning. I will explain...

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The word "theory" does not mean it is disputed. The difference between theory and law is not one of "truth" or in how confident we are about it. It is not a difference in degree. Theories are not "inferior facts." Theories don't graduate to become "laws" by being "proven."

A law is a kind of *fact*...an observation that appears to be universally true everywhere we look. A law is usually a single statement, and expressed in terms of an equation. A theory is an *explanation* for facts. A theory can embody a large set of statements, which can grow as the theory expands to explain more observations, more facts. It explains facts. It cannot "become" a fact.

So what we call the "germ theory of disease" started out the *explanation* for many of the observed *facts* about diseases...how they spread, what causes them to be worse, why hygiene can reduce their spread. It has expanded to everything we know about bacteria and viruses, virulence, pathology, epidemiology, etc. etc...all of these subsets of what we still call "germ theory". It is, and always will be, called a "theory", not because anybody disputes whether microorganisms cause disease, but because all of it together is an *EXPLANATION* for facts.

Just remember that when say "the theory of X"....that does not mean "the disputed fact of X"...it means "what explains X, or is explained BY X."

The theory of gravity is NOT the "dispute over whether gravity exists" (that is not in question)...it means "what explains gravity or what is explained BY gravity"

The theory of evolution is NOT the "dispute over whether evolution exists" (that is not in question)...it mean "what explains evolution, or what is explained BY evolution."

Ditto on the photon theory of light, the atomic theory of matter, the plate tectonics theory of geology, the heliocentric theory of the solar system and on and on and on.

A theory is NOT an unproven fact or unproven law. A theory is simply the explanation for facts.

This is why the Theory of Evolution is taught in school and Creationism isn't. Evolution is factual, Creationism is just a belief based on a single religion out of THOUSANDS of different religions around the world. Schools are built to teach facts, not beliefs. Churches are built to teach beliefs.

Level 6

Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Wow - I didn't know that about "theories".

Christianity is a giant institution that you can find just about everywhere in the US - you'd think they'd use that wealth and support towards activities other than influencing the government.
My 2 cents

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

3

2

2

I use to , Until They started changing things like in GOD WE TRUST , And taking the pledge out of our schools. All because some one cries , It's my right.. I believe that they should not have let this happen.. They should have said , If you don't like our country the way it is ..Then get the He-- OUT... GOD COME FIRST...

FDG

“Have facts, will travel!”

Level 7

Since: Feb 08

The Big Town!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Sep 15, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

My 2 cents wrote:
I use to , Until They started changing things like in GOD WE TRUST , And taking the pledge out of our schools. All because some one cries , It's my right.. I believe that they should not have let this happen.. They should have said , If you don't like our country the way it is ..Then get the He-- OUT... GOD COME FIRST...
I certainly am glad our Founding Fathers didn't see it your way. Your outlook on life is scary and somewhat disturbing. I imagine you would do quite well living in a theocracy.
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Sep 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Steph wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, forcing usually doesn't go over too well. religion is a VERY personal and subjective choice/belief and it should remain that way.
I totally agree- it should be a person's choice. Thing is, I never thought of prayers in school or references to God in political speeaches as people being forced to practice Christianity. That if people were given the choice of participating in the prayers or not that they had their religious freedom. But, evidently, not many people see it that way.
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Sep 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

2

1

FDG wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, that's the good thing about facts. It doesn't matter if you believe in them or not, they are still true.
Evolution isn't an Atheist belief. It is simply scientific fact. A truth. Something that has been proven time and time again and can't be denied.
The first thing you are doing is confusing the origins of earth and evolution. These are two distinctly different concepts and should never be interchanged. No one knows how the Earth got here. That is the only factual thing we do know. There are a lot of guesses out there by MANY different groups that give their opinion, but not is really backed up by solid science. However, this isn't the same case with Evolution. You are having trouble distiguishing the difference between the common man using the word theory, and a scientist using the word theory. They are different and have a VAST different meaning. I will explain...
FDG, I admit that I don't know as much about science as I should but I think I understand the basics. Scientists use the Big Bang theory to explain the origins of the universe. They use the theory of evolution to explain the origins of life, right?

From my understanding, there are no laws in evolution. If I decide to live in the ocean for the next 20 years, there's no guarantee that I'm gonna grow fins. There are no guarantees that anything will evolve. So if you don't include laws in the theory of evolution then all you're left with are facts- the same as any other theory. I can't help but think of all the conspircy theories out there about different things. Yeah, the theories may contain many facts- impressive facts even- but that doesn't necessarily mean the theory is true or correct. At the end of the day, a theory is nothing more than a belief- what you believe to be true-your explanation of things. So why is Evolution any better than Creationism?

No matter how I look at evolution- whether I look at it as a theory explaining the facts or facts supporting a theory- it just doesn't make sense to me. It just doesn't add up. Think about it.... here the planet is with no life on it. Suddenly, there's this little living "thing" that appears. How did that thing reproduce? Or let's say that a bunch of "things" appeared, well, if they all were created by the exact same "ingredients", wouldn't they all be female or all be male? That's just the beginning of the questions I have about evolution. Think you could answer it for me?
My New Name

Hurricane, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Sep 16, 2012
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Awesome_Steve_Monkey wrote:
Wow - I didn't know that about "theories".
Christianity is a giant institution that you can find just about everywhere in the US - you'd think they'd use that wealth and support towards activities other than influencing the government.
I don't entirely disagree with your post but I do have to ask.... do you think it's wrong for Christians to stand up for their beliefs?

Level 6

Since: Jul 12

Pineville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Sep 16, 2012
 

Judged:

1

1

1

But public school and political speeches aren't about God. Counting the number of times "God" is mentioned is some sort of score keeping by Christians. Do you feel that people are intolerant of your religion during your "real life" interactions with society? Or, is this intolerance towards Christianity something you see on TV or has been suggested to you by the media?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of130
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

13 Users are viewing the Oceana Forum right now

Search the Oceana Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 5 hr Goat Man 51,933
Plastic flowerrs 6 hr Oceana 5
Money 7 hr Pete 2
Single men 7 hr Bill 3
subway ???? 7 hr Bill 9
Need a job?? 8 hr Bill 24
Drop a word, Add a word (Dec '10) 9 hr bored2tears 1,297
•••
•••
•••
Oceana Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Oceana Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oceana People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Oceana News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oceana
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••