Del Castle demolition OK'd

The Ocean Springs Board of Aldermen voted 4-3 on Tuesday to allow demolition of Del Castle, a home on Davis Bayou reputed to be the hideout of legendary gangster Al Capone. Full Story
Lisa Howell

Nampa, ID

#1 Oct 5, 2006
Kudos to Mayor Moran- Her zeal to save our historic buildings, balanced with a progressive long term vision for our city- it's just what we need right now. Let's get that vetoed!
Preservation

Atlanta, GA

#2 Oct 9, 2006
I agree that historic homes need to be preserved and remembered. Come to www.storyofmyhome.com , go to the Biloxi page and tell us what you know!
lisa segarra

United States

#3 Mar 30, 2007
Lisa Howell wrote:
Kudos to Mayor Moran- Her zeal to save our historic buildings, balanced with a progressive long term vision for our city- it's just what we need right now. Let's get that vetoed!
I also support our mayor, Ms Moran. I too would like to see the nature of our quaint seaside town preserved as much as possible. Do you still do portraits, lisa?
Chip Roullette

Ocean Springs, MS

#4 Apr 5, 2007
I drove by Del Castle today. Love what they've done with the place.
Sam

United States

#5 Apr 7, 2007
that s--ks
taz

Gautier, MS

#6 May 20, 2007
Back in January 07, another OS home, an old 1850's summer cottage, in a family for generations, was demolished before the ink was dry on the deal selling it. Apparently, there was no notice advertised as required by local law for 50+year old homes, and the historical committee approved it. Dewey Ave. home not damaged by Katrina. Sad but true.
Glenda

Memphis, TN

#7 May 22, 2007
Historic homes should be preserved. However, just an idea, what if someone could rebuild the home, from photos, to the historic condition, as a museum (specifically Del Castle)? Does anyone think that would be a good thing? I do but just wanted to see if anyone else thought it might be a good idea. It would help revive the history of the area, and of the homes, even those destroyed by Katrina.
Chuck

Nashville, TN

#8 Jul 3, 2007
We are a custom homebuilder who believe we have a plan for re-creating the Del Castle in a manner that would benefit the community. We are seeking input and informaton. We can be reached via e-mail at delcastle@powerhouse-partners. com We welcome all input and any referrals to local historical societies.
Hapless Hound

Ocean Springs, MS

#9 Jul 5, 2007
Are you planning on recreating Del Castle on the original site?
Chuck

San Carlos, CA

#10 Dec 4, 2007
Didn't want you folks to think we had forgotten you. We are in the process of putting together a foundation dedicated to raising money to re-create the Del Castel.

You can read more at www.DelCastleRestoration.org

We are still in the process of writing our business plan. We expect to raise some $12 million from private investors and hisotrical foundations. We are designing this project to be self financing, with no expectation of asking taxpayers or governments to subsidize the project.

We welcome community input and we lok forward to hearing from interested parties.

We look forward to hearing from you.
GPE

Gulfport, MS

#11 Feb 13, 2008
Well the last post is the only one that makes economic sense. I hate to see del castle go, but come on people, do you really like the government telling you what to do with your property. That building need massive repairs and made no sense finacially for the owner to do it. So you you want it back then fork out the cash
Chuck

Napa, CA

#12 Feb 20, 2008
GPE wrote:
Well the last post is the only one that makes economic sense. I hate to see del castle go, but come on people, do you really like the government telling you what to do with your property. That building need massive repairs and made no sense finacially for the owner to do it. So you you want it back then fork out the cash
We are still seeking such things as photographs of the old Del Castle building, inside and out, to give our architects something to work with. If anyone has a source, please put them in contact with us:

http://www.delcastlerestoration.org/Contact.h...

We appreciate your interest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocean Springs Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Biloxi's A.J. Holloway is coast's highest paid ... (Sep '14) 3 hr Point Lifer 7
legit pain P.I.L.L.S n m/ar.iju/an.a 11 hr ocean springs guy 1
cattle ranchers Wed SUSAN PAGE 1
tax return Mar 3 this yr 1
Air Conditioning (Jun '14) Mar 3 kody 10
Tato Nut Doughnuts (Jan '10) Mar 2 greyhoundfan 24
Anybody know anything about Dixie Mafia involve... (Jul '09) Mar 1 rupurt pupkin 86

Freeze Warning for Jackson County was issued at March 06 at 3:23PM CST

Ocean Springs Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Ocean Springs People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:22 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:22AM
Colston, Saints Agree to New Contract