Avalon beaches restored despite DEP s...

Avalon beaches restored despite DEP squabble

There are 2 comments on the CourierPostOnline story from Jul 30, 2008, titled Avalon beaches restored despite DEP squabble. In it, CourierPostOnline reports that:

The Mother's Day storm that rocked the coast tore a chunk out of the northern end of Avalon's beaches, decimating 10 blocks as summer approached.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CourierPostOnline.

Ken

Elizabeth, NJ

#1 Aug 2, 2008
I saw an ad in the local paper that encouraged Avalon Beachgoers to contact their representatives in order to support "engineered beaches" as opposed to "social engineering" (whatever they mean by "social engineering"?!

Well, I just enjoyed a week at the Avalon beach and it was one of the finest I have spent there in many years. I sailed a Hobie off of the Stone Harbor beach. My daughter and I had a blast body-surfing and boogie-boarding on the soft, fine sand and we enjoyed the slowly-sloping beaches that allow for fine swimming and calm waters without dangerous rip- or under- currents.

But this is a great time, when the US economy is in tough shape, when we now acknowledge that global warming is a reality, when gas prices and inflation are rising while the values of our homes are falling, to change our priorities. And the last thing we need to perpetuate is the falacy that we can maintain these lovely beaches.

The sad but true truth is that the US developed during a blip in time when he earth was huge, when all the resources we would ever need were at our fingertips for the asking, and the US economic engine carried our standard of living to the top of the heap.

Now, our earth is small and exploiting resources in the same manner is simply un-sustainable. The economic shift needed is huge and we must get our priorities straight. In this environment, beach re-plenishment in Avalon, NJ (i.e. welfare for the rich, a.k.a. government insurance for wealthy investors who took large risks) should not be a priority. This is the first thing that should be cut when the budget is examined.
SHBP

Culpeper, VA

#2 May 11, 2010
Stone Harbor is now "Cooler by a Kilometer" for sure!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocean City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
warlocks mc (Sep '07) Oct 2 keepitsimple 329
Ventnor Nutrition Site Sep '17 Lindamacyorky 1
Interested in Learning Taxes? Sep '17 JMPeel 1
Wait for it to hit the fan in Philly! Aug '17 chimera 2
News Police receive complaints about two more South ... (Aug '06) Aug '17 former employee 237
builder Aug '17 woodchucker 1
News Changes in the air at two radio stations (Aug '06) Jul '17 Lewis H 1,036

Ocean City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ocean City Mortgages