Plan to repair Wildwood Boardwalk with rare lumber raises envir...

Full story: The Morning Call

New Jersey 's most popular beach town is about to make a decision that has been criticized by environmentalists around the world -- using wood cut from Amazon rain forests to repair a section of its boardwalk.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Forest

Saint John, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2009

Is Troiano really comparing the "nightmare" for the merchants that sell $2 t-shirts to the devastation of the rainforests? The reason people aren't accepting of a plastic boardwalk is because they are unaware of the ramifications caused by cutting down trees in the Amazon.
marie

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2009

The trees have already been cut, too late to save them. I'd like to find a shirt for $2.00 in Wildwood. The merchants make a living from these stores, and if the boardwalk does not open as expected, it would be devastating to the economy in that area. These kinds of issues should be dealt with prior to the trees being cut, not after.

Since: Feb 07

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2009

I don't believe this story. They should take this up with the supplier of the black locust wood. There is no more of the black locust available? Otherwise, I would think that using a composite would be more cost-effective in the long run. Look on the bright side - composite material isn't going to give anybody splinters in their feet!
Mr Splinters

Easton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

I think the environmentalist should move down to South America and live in ipe tree houses. This way they can protect the trees they love and I can go to the board walk with out it costing me more in taxes.
get real

Whitehall, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2009

These enviornmental extremists are ruining this country. Everytime we try to produce they interfere. The trees are cut for heavens sake!
They are the reason, along with excessive union demands, that we are losing jobs, don't make anything here, and will be at the mercy of the middle east for our oil. It is time for the people and the politicians to say enough of the nonsense to this group of unreasonable whiners.
Mike Huffman

Yellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2009

I may not have any business speaking of a New Jersey issue, but being a timberman for close to thirty years here in my home state of Arkansas, I know a thing about trees and logs. A tree is a plant, no more, no less, it requires a proper harvest, if you don't harvest, the tree's will never get the proper nutrients from the ground, you'll have a woods full of stunted trees. If you let a tree go too long, it'll start rotting from within, I can't count the trees we've brought into the sawmill to cut, only to have to throw three quarters if not all to the slab pit. You aren't doiung the trees any favors by not letting them be cut,I hope Atlantic City gets these trees.

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2009

Mike Huffman wrote:
I may not have any business speaking of a New Jersey issue, but being a timberman for close to thirty years here in my home state of Arkansas, I know a thing about trees and logs. A tree is a plant, no more, no less, it requires a proper harvest, if you don't harvest, the tree's will never get the proper nutrients from the ground, you'll have a woods full of stunted trees. If you let a tree go too long, it'll start rotting from within, I can't count the trees we've brought into the sawmill to cut, only to have to throw three quarters if not all to the slab pit. You aren't doiung the trees any favors by not letting them be cut,I hope Atlantic City gets these trees.
It's always good to learn something new. Thanks for your imput!
Mike Huffman

Yellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2009

I'll say this in all honesty, you can go the other extreme and clear cut, which is just as dangerous as not cutting at all, when this happens, unless more trees are planted, your ground will turn dry and rocks will come up, at least here in Arkansas. One of the dangers in the south, is if you go in an area not cut for several years, is that snakes develop. I used to wear waist high chaps, I've had copperheads bit into the leather, if I hadn't had them on, I wouldn't of made it out of these backwoods. Rural Arkansas doesn't have hospitals the next block, if you don't know the backwoods, it can be deadly, having and living in lots of trees and brush, isn't always a plus, I'd like to think in some small way, I did some hunters, campers, and hikers a favor by clearing out timber.

Lehighton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2009

Mike Huffman wrote:
I'll say this in all honesty, you can go the other extreme and clear cut, which is just as dangerous as not cutting at all, when this happens, unless more trees are planted, your ground will turn dry and rocks will come up, at least here in Arkansas. One of the dangers in the south, is if you go in an area not cut for several years, is that snakes develop. I used to wear waist high chaps, I've had copperheads bit into the leather, if I hadn't had them on, I wouldn't of made it out of these backwoods. Rural Arkansas doesn't have hospitals the next block, if you don't know the backwoods, it can be deadly, having and living in lots of trees and brush, isn't always a plus, I'd like to think in some small way, I did some hunters, campers, and hikers a favor by clearing out timber.
Very interesting, Mike. The little bit I've seen of cutting down trees, the more I realize how dangerous it can be. Do you use specialized equipement?
Mike Huffman

Yellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Kelly7 wrote:
<quoted text>
Very interesting, Mike. The little bit I've seen of cutting down trees, the more I realize how dangerous it can be. Do you use specialized equipement?
We never did, we had top of the line chainsaws, usually 24 inch bar or bigger, a skidder, which in my dad's day, they used mules to pull logs, I'm almost 50, in my younger days, I loved it, I seen baby deer being born, but I also seen men get their legs cut, I've seen trees fall wrong, I've carried men out with broken legs, thank God they weren't killed, I cut wood for my farm, but my logging days are done.

Lehighton, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Mike, all I can say is WOW! What an experience, thank you for sharing it with me. We had a friend (in the business) come and cut down an Oak tree for us. It was about 60 ft. high. It was quite an amazing thing to see! We also used a tractor chained to it the tree to guide the fall.
We've both had busted legs. I busted my left femur totalling my first Harley :( I've got a rod - doesn't set off metal detectors :)
My hubby has 2 broken legs, ankles, arms. His x-rays look like a sad erector set, lol! As such, I know just how painful being moved in such a state is. I realize that through a break that size you can bleed to death almost instantly. You must just love being in the woods!
Mike Huffman

Yellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Kelly7 wrote:
Mike, all I can say is WOW! What an experience, thank you for sharing it with me. We had a friend (in the business) come and cut down an Oak tree for us. It was about 60 ft. high. It was quite an amazing thing to see! We also used a tractor chained to it the tree to guide the fall.
We've both had busted legs. I busted my left femur totalling my first Harley :( I've got a rod - doesn't set off metal detectors :)
My hubby has 2 broken legs, ankles, arms. His x-rays look like a sad erector set, lol! As such, I know just how painful being moved in such a state is. I realize that through a break that size you can bleed to death almost instantly. You must just love being in the woods!
I love the outdoors, you can't put a price tag on seeing a baby fawn right after being born, years ago, I was running a bush hog, I came up on a baby deer that had lsot his mother, I was able to pick him up, take him home and raise him for clse to a year, fact is he was raised with a blue tick hound I had that was the same age, they bedded together at night, I couldn't believe it. I love to fish, if I was in the position, I'd summer and fish the lakes in Minnesota, and spend my winters in Florida where my wife hails, the geese have the right idea.
rein in the enviro wackos

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

It's time we rein in the environmental wackos. These people appear to have nothing better to do than create problems for society. I notice that most of their protests seem to be about getting attention for their damaged egos. "Thats right Alice, hold your protest sign higher so the television news cameras will see us." These mental cases need to be put in their place and quickly.
Dick Cheney

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2009

Anyone know where can I buy some of that Amazon rainforest lumber? I want to build a deck in my yard.

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Mike Huffman wrote:
<quoted text>I love the outdoors, you can't put a price tag on seeing a baby fawn right after being born, years ago, I was running a bush hog, I came up on a baby deer that had lsot his mother, I was able to pick him up, take him home and raise him for clse to a year, fact is he was raised with a blue tick hound I had that was the same age, they bedded together at night, I couldn't believe it. I love to fish, if I was in the position, I'd summer and fish the lakes in Minnesota, and spend my winters in Florida where my wife hails, the geese have the right idea.
I'm jealous! I'd love to raise a fawn (but then I'd want to keep it forever). I'm not surprised that the animals took to each other. I just tend to throw all of my critters together under the same room and feed whoever makes it until dinner time. So far, everybody has made it! It was surprising to see our one German Shepherd carry the cat around by his head. Seems they both kinda liked it though! Well, I don't think the cat was crazy about being all slobbered up, but he survived!
You can have Florida. Nice place to visit, but not "down to earth" enough for me. I live close to the Poconos. Surrounded by mountains and the Lehigh River. We had a bear wander through our yard around Christmas time. His hind paw print measured 6" across and 11" from claw to heal!

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Oops! "heel" Hee Hee!
Mike Huffman

Yellville, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 19, 2009

Arkansas is nice, but the economy never amounted to much, but, for better or worse, it's my home.
Amazing

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Wow, I've never seen more crap in my life and I work at a sewage plant. Are you people stupid or just ignorant? You do all know that the rain forest is the LARGEST PRODUCER OF OXYGEN in the world right? That all of those trees down there store and reduce the amount of carbon we put up into the air. So yea let us create a demand for the most important ecosystem on the planet and destroy the only thing that is stopping us from suffocation in our own exhaust. Nothing against Arkansas Mike but I'm pretty sure western Brazil is a lot different. It's amazing how you all seem to think that what happens down there won't affect us up here. Well it does and when your new beach house is underwater I hope you enjoy your Brazilian hardwood deck. Cheers!

Waltham, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Mike Huffman wrote:
Arkansas is nice, but the economy never amounted to much, but, for better or worse, it's my home.
Hey Mike! How are things?
Peg

Montclair, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2009

Judged:

Ocean City has a history with the use of rainforest wood and they never seem to grow in their ability to think beyond the money they make from the boardwalk businesses. They live in a world that is back in stonehenge where the environment is concerned.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of20
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ocean City Discussions

Search the Ocean City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
N.J. discussing smoking ban at beaches and parks 7 hr DarwinWasRight 27
Margate police investigate attempted luring Sat Josh 6
Atlantic City Country Club sold Apr 17 Josh 1
Egg Harbor GENUARDI'S sold to WHOLE FOODS (Jan '12) Apr 10 Josh 37
Bye Bye DO AC! Apr 9 Josh 11
608 East 16th Street, OC is a GREAT BUY! Apr 7 E.G. 7
warlocks mc (Sep '07) Apr 2 uhuh in florida 277
•••
•••