States consider adding military servi...

States consider adding military service to driver's licenses

There are 11 comments on the Florida Today story from Mar 1, 2012, titled States consider adding military service to driver's licenses. In it, Florida Today reports that:

State lawmakers across the U.S. are crafting legislation that would add military service to veterans' driver's licenses so they will not have to carry official discharge papers to prove their service.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Florida Today.

Skiznit

Guadalupe, Mexico

#1 Mar 2, 2012
Great, so now I can be discriminated against and frowned upon for NOT having Military Service on MY driver's license. You can say now it won't happen and try to offer generic assurance it will never happen, but just watch and see.
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#2 Mar 2, 2012
I am not sure I want my military status show for the world to see. I served proudly, two tours with the Navy but that was my choice and I am not so sure I want everyone looking at my drivers license to know my military status. Not everyone is proud of our military. Everyone has their own personal opinions and I am not too sure I want the police knowing. They sometimes have their own agenda and opinions. I remember my father carried a small plastic card which showed his military status and I think this is the way to go for privacy sake.
Proud VET

Raleigh, NC

#3 Mar 2, 2012
Skiznit wrote:
Great, so now I can be discriminated against and frowned upon for NOT having Military Service on MY driver's license. You can say now it won't happen and try to offer generic assurance it will never happen, but just watch and see.
So join up and serve. You picked to NOT do your duty.
Been there etc

Williston Park, NY

#4 Mar 3, 2012
Before an air trip, I went to the VA to get my VA issued picture ID. I figured the TSA would appreciate something "official" besides my New York State Drivers license (That you can buy on a streetcorner for fake ID). The TSA examiner let the VA id fall to the floor as he examined the NYS license.-- Put service status on the drivers license? Why not. Cops know how to deal with folks they stop. If you act like a jerk you will be treated like one. If you're not a Vet and you are polite, you get treated fair. If you are a VET and present an attitude, you will get taken down off your high horse. Just because you are a Vet doesn't mean you get a free pass to be an antisocial curmudgeon. It may explain some things, but if the cop is doing his job, who cares if you are a vet or not. It just means to vets we have one less card in our wallets to search for. Maybe the service record on the license could state a vets disability record.

All in all, if you are stopped or otherwise asked to present an ID, be courteous and it will go a lot further than any stigma or perceived "benny" from being a vet.
oakgroveftckyhan gover

Nashville, TN

#5 Mar 10, 2012
Skiznit wrote:

Dont sweat the small stuff brother, this will work both ways, like the one post said everybody has different opinions on military service some good some not, so having it on our license will only be (like one post said)one less card to carry.
hayoo

Fort Recovery, OH

#6 Mar 13, 2012
Amazing how U.S. citizens can be "profiled" on their license but illegals don't even have to show ID. NOT EVEN TO VOTE IN TX. We are living in an upside down world people!
Helopilot67-68

Choctaw, OK

#7 Mar 13, 2012
I am for it to be on Drivers license to me it would help on the fake Vets - make it harder to say he or she is a Vet.
I show my VA card now and my DOD card and happy to do so!
Read the NEWS to many fake veterans taking away from real vets daily!

Every state needs to do this with an op out if you do not wont it on your license!
The Mad Man

Glendale, CA

#8 Mar 13, 2012
Helopilot67-68 wrote:
I am for it to be on Drivers license to me it would help on the fake Vets - make it harder to say he or she is a Vet.
I show my VA card now and my DOD card and happy to do so!
Read the NEWS to many fake veterans taking away from real vets daily!
Every state needs to do this with an op out if you do not wont it on your license!
Now opting out I can live with. Most likely I would have my drivers license show that I am a vet because I am proud of that fact but I also have second thoughts and would like to have the option.
aavamphibs

Houston, TX

#9 May 13, 2012
Funny how something so painless and simple turns inside and out by antagonist. This is a great idea. The states started doing this because the Federal Government, such as yours truly the VA and Department of Defense have failed to provide proof of veteranship for veterans. So the states took it upon themselves to get the wheels turning. If you are a veteran and don't want the designation on your DL, I respect that but don't screw it up for those that want it. If you are not a veteran and don't like the idea, that is just too bad for you. Your point is moot. You didn't even serve. The designation is virtually cost free, its simple, and only money spent is very little ink to print the word "VETERAN". Some states even charge a buck and make more money over it. I live in Texas. Texas veterans license plates are FREE!!! If you want to pass up free license plates, that is your right. Don't tell me I'm stupid for having mine. You join facebook? I don't. I think you're stupid to point out your picture and friends, for all to see, I don't do it, but I don't care what you do. It is your right. I don't feel like carrying around a DD-214 when I can just whip out a card from my wallet. It's a good thing. It's simple. Not all veterans are enrolled in the va healthcare system, thus not all veterans can get that card. I think a DOD or VA issued ID card makes the most sense. It should never have been a DMV issue, but its a positive thing since that is all we got. Quit being so ignorant and jealous of veterans.
aavamphibs

Houston, TX

#10 May 13, 2012
I believe a federal document holds more weight. A veterans ID issued by the VA is an official federal document. It would be nice to have one. Not all of us can have one if we don't meet the va criteria for healthcare. Even green card holders have a federal document. What federal document do you have besides a passport? Have you ever had a military ID card? That is a great official U.S. government document. It goes a long way. If the U.S. ever goes to a national ID card system like most countries do, I prefer to have my veterans ID card. The card distinguishes me from the non-veteran for having served my country when 99 percent of the population has not served. I prefer to have that distinction. The drivers license is not an official government document, it is a state document. Better than nothing or having to carry a dd-214 around. It is an official document of the government, but not a photo ID.
ricsen

Sarnen, Switzerland

#11 May 29, 2012
It's like to wear yellow star of david's on the chest

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocean City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Quality Wee d / Hashes & Meds in Ocean City Mar 13 Fergie 1
News Berlin Shoe Box owner Jesse Turner is pictured ... Feb '17 Jeanie 1
Poll who's better in bed short women or tall women (Jul '10) Feb '17 nothing 127
News Arrests Made After Hostile Boardwalk Crowds Gather (Jul '16) Dec '16 Fitus T Bluster 2
all the sirens going on right now (Mar '08) Nov '16 Jenni4ever 6
yooo (Sep '14) Sep '16 thatdood 3
News 'White Lives Matter' T-shirt creator hooks into... (Aug '16) Aug '16 Killary 2016 2

Ocean City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ocean City Mortgages