Tonie

Scottsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 17, 2009

I am looking for information on the Ocala Caverns. I believe they were open in the mid to late 1960s.
my email is sntavery@yahoo.com
ANY help is appreciated.
blessings
tj
madmattfl

Kissimmee, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2009

Ocala Caverns are on Hwy 441 just North of Belleview. At their "peak" they were ran by Samuel Hesser, known as "Man Mountain Dean" in the pro wrestling world. As with many of the old time wrestlers Dean was a Carnie and ran his park in that manner. He had plans to put a pro wrestling museum there at one time. Dean helped to get a Vietnam memorial built in front of Belleview City Hall. At the park there are two caves. at the wet cave i have been told you paid a fee, got in a rowboat, Dean would kick the boat out so you could look, then pull you in by a rope. The entrance to the wet cave is covered by a small concrete pyramid, said to be part of a movie set, though some say that was just hype. The property has been for sale so long the real estate sign faded and fell down. While the property sits atop the florida aquifer, one local has said that their sixty foot well near the property ran dry, another sign of progress.
Tonie

Scottsburg, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 13, 2009

Is there anyone still around that would have known Samuel Hesser while he was still alive?
Do you have any other information on Samuel Hesser or his time in Ocala?
Feel free to email me at sntavery@yahoo.com
Thx
TJ

“Unions are still scum ”

Since: Dec 07

Atlanta

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 15, 2009

Tonie wrote:
Is there anyone still around that would have known Samuel Hesser while he was still alive?
Do you have any other information on Samuel Hesser or his time in Ocala?
Feel free to email me at sntavery@yahoo.com
Thx
TJ
Yeah and the loser stole so much from the good folks around that most are glad to see he is gone.
Sanford

Saint Cloud, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

Yeah that boy owes me as well.
MSO4 and Sanford

Barnesville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

MSO4 and Sanford please email me at
sntavery@yahoo.com
MATEO

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 20, 2009

Judged:

OCALA CAVERNS IN CLOSED!!! Ocala police dept is turning into a DRUG DOG training facility. Now not ony do we have one less caveto explore we have more dogs sniffing for pot....Could Ocala geyt any worse?
Jim Beam

Palm Coast, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2010

Judged:

MATEO wrote:
OCALA CAVERNS IN CLOSED!!! Ocala police dept is turning into a DRUG DOG training facility. Now not ony do we have one less caveto explore we have more dogs sniffing for pot....Could Ocala geyt any worse?
The grammar and our school systems are certainly going down hill :)

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 30, 2011

Ocala caverns is open provided you make arrangements with a local caving club, probably the FSS. FOr those interested in caves and can keep their locations secret, I invite you to join the Terranaut Corps on Face Book and you can help us with our cave near Belleview.
railriderstv

Bristol, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2012

My friend and I walked down in it when it went dry early '80's.....I was 12 when went in boat in '69....he went with you.
The jon boat leaked.....underwater lights worked to...was really neat...I finally wised up and left the area....area has really turned to c.r.a.p. over the yrs......IDIOTS in city/co. gov.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2012

railriderstv wrote:
My friend and I walked down in it when it went dry early '80's.....I was 12 when went in boat in '69....he went with you.
The jon boat leaked.....underwater lights worked to...was really neat...I finally wised up and left the area....area has really turned to c.r.a.p. over the yrs......IDIOTS in city/co. gov.....
True about the idiots in charge. They violated two agreements with my tribe and now are refusing to acknowledge.
railriderstv

Bristol, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 24, 2012

omegaltd wrote:
<quoted text>
True about the idiots in charge. They violated two agreements with my tribe and now are refusing to acknowledge.
No surprise to me....
Who owns the caverns now?
What shape are they in?......
Is it full of water once again up to the steps?
Thanks....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2012

railriderstv wrote:
<quoted text>
No surprise to me....
Who owns the caverns now?
What shape are they in?......
Is it full of water once again up to the steps?
Thanks....
Ocala Caverns is owned by people in Tampa. the local caving club put a new gate, cleaned it up and made arrangements for the Moron County Police to use the grounds for K9 training so don't even think about trying to trespass. It does have water. At one time, there were boat tours.

Update on the county assholes, the Justice Department refuses to prosecute them criminally for the violation of our Constitutional and civil rights, violation of two state laws, fraud, extortion and other criminal acts performed in the line of duty. They are going to seize our lands and we are probably never going to be able to finish digging out our cave, map it or full explore it.
Bigs

Summerfield, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 24, 2012

omegaltd wrote:
<quoted text>
You keep saying your tribe. I would like some info on that if you could. Ncca967@gmail.com please and thank uou
railriderstv

Bristol, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 15, 2012

omegaltd wrote:
<quoted text>
Ocala Caverns is owned by people in Tampa. the local caving club put a new gate, cleaned it up and made arrangements for the Moron County Police to use the grounds for K9 training so don't even think about trying to trespass. It does have water. At one time, there were boat tours.
Update on the county assholes, the Justice Department refuses to prosecute them criminally for the violation of our Constitutional and civil rights, violation of two state laws, fraud, extortion and other criminal acts performed in the line of duty. They are going to seize our lands and we are probably never going to be able to finish digging out our cave, map it or full explore it.
Thanks,...
I remember when it was going stong....was a neat place..there was a motorcycle salvage yrd. just up from it....
joe dee

Palm Harbor, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2013

does anyone know who the caving club is that put up the fence and allows access to the caverns? thanks.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

joe dee wrote:
does anyone know who the caving club is that put up the fence and allows access to the caverns? thanks.
Contact the Florida Speleological Society. They go to Ocala Caverns alot and are responsible for its new gate and clean up. The county trains its dogs there so you have to go with them.
joe dee

Saint Petersburg, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 30, 2013

thank you omegaltd, i appreciate the answer and you taking the time to reply.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 31, 2013

joe dee wrote:
thank you omegaltd, i appreciate the answer and you taking the time to reply.
It is no problem. A member who lives in Ocala gives tours of White Cliffs Cave at the Brick City Adventure Park ( which is a few miles north of Ocala Caverns).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ocala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
FL August 23 Florida Primary Election: Will you vote? (Aug '10) 13 hr Simson 2,454
rude/hateful owner 15 hr carousel Fine Fur... 1
Debate: Marijuana - Ocala, FL (Aug '10) Wed T.K 54
need apartment Wed Mary NY 2
SB Vice Chair Angie Boynton knows what she's ta... (Feb '14) Wed Calling it as it is 2
Ocala... a technology hub? Wed Calling it as it is 2
FL 2010 Florida Governor Race Election Results a "... (Nov '10) Wed Liberal forever 2,940

Search the Ocala Forum:
•••
•••
•••

Ocala Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ocala People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ocala News, Events & Info