Gainsville Late 70`s

Posted in the Ocala Forum

Flabergasted

Gloucester, MA

#1 Aug 19, 2008
Hey Y`all .. I used to be manager/bartender at Snuffy`s Pub around 1977 to 1980. 1017 W. University Ave. Next door was a beer soaked pool bar can`t remember the name. I worked as a cook at Snuffy`s then became "bartender". The waitresses were always good looking girls and the Snuffy Burgers were excellent., Used to go to Nickels Alley, Dubs,Mama Lo`s,Cafe Gardens,the blues bar in the black section of town geez I can`t remember half the shit I did. I lived in Gainesville!! Getting high on the "reef"in Gainesville beach. Gainesville "green" if ya know what I mean. Anyway, anyone have any memories of G-ville form the 70`s ? I would love to hear ...
kgb

Delray Beach, FL

#2 Jan 29, 2009
Dude if you were the bartender at Snuffy's then you served me a lot! The burgers were great but the fries were better - some kind of special salt was on the them. I remember, I think, Wednesdays was a real deal on pitchers of Heineken. Never remember how I got home those nights. I liked the fish tank at the bar. Were you the guy with the long blonde hair and beard, totally laid back?
Cee

United States

#3 Apr 30, 2011
Oh yes... Snuffy's did have the best fries. Some kind of seasoned salt or something. Yummy. Loved sitting outside and watching the sidewalk traffic.

Went to all the places y'all named, too, and have been trying to think of the name of Mama Lo's for days now so THANKS. LOL.
Majik

Antioch, TN

#4 May 25, 2011
LMAO... memories.... that's about the time Betty Hurst had the beauty shop right there on the same block as Snuffy's...(can't for the life of me remember the name)
Was it the Purple Porpoise (the pool hall) too many years and too many beers ago!
Scooter

Portland, OR

#5 Sep 2, 2012
How much fun to stumble across this site. I was a bartender/manager at Snuffys from 1980 -86. Lots of fond memories of lots of great people. some i am still in contact with. I met my band mates from Poodles from Hell there, as well as my now ex-wife. Did my time at Mainstreet, Mama Lo's, the Porpoise, Lillians and the club that took over Nickles alley that had some serious concerts there. And best of all ...The Halloween Ball (when it took place at night). Then there was Robin Williams at gator growl. The alumni was not too impressed. Next year, Bill Cosby. The beauty shop was called Rays. I have 4 kids all born at Shands. We all now live in the Pacific Northwest. Gainesville. Forever in my heart...
dryrun

High Springs, FL

#6 Oct 2, 2012
snuffy's was the bomb
student

Gainesville, FL

#7 Oct 6, 2012
Its 2012 and gainesville green is still strong and so is micanopy (sp) madness..both still alive and well....hahaha awesome...40yrs strong whoot whoot
Sue Talian Green

Millersville, MD

#8 Oct 29, 2012
Who is scooter ? I was a waitress starting in 1984. Great times. Remember Becky and Paul( went to there wedding) can't for the life of me remember their last names. Then there was Jewel , a law student, mark , Fred, Eddie, Andrea. Best times. We went to st Augustine for an employer party. Dudley. Was the best !!!
Flabergasted

Danbury, CT

#9 Dec 30, 2012
No .. I am not the dude with long blonde hair and beard. That was Bill Kirk (from the Starship Snuffy). I was in my early 20`s with long brown hair. We had great times at Snuffys, used to go "shroomin" in the many cow fields outside Gainesville. I remember the Lamplighter,Nickels Alley,Lillians,The "Library" bar.Bob Hope was at the Gator Growl. The Great Southern Music Hall , saw some classic shows there back in the day.Gator Man was swimming with the gators at Lake Alice. What a classic time it was in G-ville back then !!
Cheri

Titusville, FL

#10 Apr 15, 2013
Flabergasted wrote:
I remember the Lamplighter,Nickels Alley, Lillians, The "Library" bar.....
Oh, man! I remember those days! I was a pizza delivery driver for Leonardo's Pizza; not the one near campus but the one further east. Do you remember the name of the Reggae bar? I spent many a weekend there, and for some reason, just can't remember the name!(I wonder why,...)

Nickel's Ally was The Lone Star for a while, I think. Won a few drinks riding that bull,=-)

Spent a lot of time at Dubs as my roomie was a waitress there. Ate at Buritto Bros a lot. Remember Robin Williams at Gator Growl, good times!!!
Terry G

Burnaby, Canada

#11 May 20, 2013
I worked in the kitchen at Snuffy's from about 1975 to 1977(?). What a blast! We always ended the shift smoking a joint under the exhaust fan and drinking cheap Heienken. And yes, the waitresses were smoking hot.
Bill Norwood

Melbourne, FL

#12 Oct 12, 2013
I worked there! Owner was Dudley, he was the laid back dude. Mgrs I worked with were Larry (bet he is "Flabergasted"?) and Scott Konrady (?). Moved from FL in '87 and just moved back this past year - over in Melbourne, FL. Own a car dealership, see www.nextcardeal.com . Hit me up through the website if you remember me.
Norah Rodriguez

Franklin, TN

#13 Feb 6, 2014
lol!! this is great stuff!! I lived in the area way back. god i loved gator growl!!!
Lake Alice

Atlanta, GA

#14 Feb 24, 2014
I lived in the area for a very long time too…Gainesville has a place in my heart forever…gamedays i will never forget
GreenGold

Marietta, GA

#15 Feb 27, 2014
I remember smoking a bunch of top quality weed with some crazy hot chicks from lamplighters big daddy's - those were some good times -- the chicks were wild!!!
Laura

Gainesville, FL

#16 Mar 16, 2014
Great memories of Gainesville. I was a waitress at Dubs and a Truc of America groupie Also worked in Aw Shucks. Does anyone remember the name of the club after Lone Star and Nichols Alley? Also, loved going to Buddy's on the water but can't remember where that was.
Rick

Tonawanda, NY

#17 Apr 6, 2014
Laura wrote:
Great memories of Gainesville. I was a waitress at Dubs and a Truc of America groupie Also worked in Aw Shucks. Does anyone remember the name of the club after Lone Star and Nichols Alley? Also, loved going to Buddy's on the water but can't remember where that was.
Was it Great Southern Music Hall?
I worked as a "carpenter" building the Harvey's Plaza across from the Univercity.
I came down from Buffalo on a visit and wound up staying for 4 years. I ate a lot at Snuffy's and almost always had a .burger with schrooms and bleu cheese dressing. I remember getting a lot of girl action there. When we finished the Plaza a salon opened in there and a gorgeous blonde cut my hair and I got a date with her...sweet time
BillK

West Palm Beach, FL

#18 Dec 9, 2014
kgb wrote:
Dude if you were the bartender at Snuffy's then you served me a lot! The burgers were great but the fries were better - some kind of special salt was on the them. I remember, I think, Wednesdays was a real deal on pitchers of Heineken. Never remember how I got home those nights. I liked the fish tank at the bar. Were you the guy with the long blonde hair and beard, totally laid back?
No, that guy was Bill Kirk. That would be me. Snuffy's is now called Mother's - same address but nothing like Snuffy's of old. It was a one of a kind place and we're not likely to see its like again. BTW - The salt on the fries was Lawry's Seasoned Salt. There were quite a few regulars who consumed a lot Heineken - who are you?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Univ Fl Calling For Donations For LGBT Community Feb 27 Denny 2
Feral cat plan on table again Feb 27 Stan 14
Enforcers Motorcycle Club Feb 27 pegginit 16
funk wrestling Feb 26 da weal fonyD-bag 1
tonyD-bag Feb 26 da weal fonyD-bag 1
What is Ocala Like (Jul '09) Feb 25 John j 152
Daytona Beach gang arrests: 33 in custody and m... (Jul '10) Feb 24 pegginit 30
Ocala Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web