Parasail death, injury brings neglige...

Parasail death, injury brings negligence lawsuit from girls' fa...

There are 115 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Aug 29, 2007, titled Parasail death, injury brings negligence lawsuit from girls' fa.... In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

The father of a 15-year-old girl who died after an Aug. 18 parasailing accident in Pompano Beach filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Broward Circuit Court.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Praying 4 U

Montgomery, AL

#111 Sep 12, 2007
I have just heard about this today on The Today Show. The lawyer said there is a petition that people can sign to make a law about parasailing. I want to help this family acheive this goal. I need the web address. Please respond if anyone knows it. Thanks. Our prayers go out to the family with such a great loss. May God Be with you and give you more of His Grace.
Mamabear10410

United States

#112 Sep 12, 2007
You can add my name to this list. I was on vacation with my family approximately five year ago. My, then 7-year-old daughter thought she wanted to go parasailing after we had been watching parasailers for a day or two from our condo on the Gulf of Mexico in Madeira Beach. I volunteered to go up since I had done it before years earlier and thought it was awesome. We found a company that advertised that their youngest parasailer was 18 months old. Obviously, some stupid parent thought it was a good idea to take their baby parasailing. Their parasailer was 80 years old. Well, here I am, 600 feet in the air and the boat quits. I plunge into the Gulf of Mexico. I had to pull myself using the rope to the boat. It took about an hour. My kids, along with my husband, were on the boat. My kids could not see me. They thought I had sunk. I had bruises all over my arms. I did not sleep for a week. The only thing thing the owner of the business had to offer me was, "Please don't sue me." Interesting enough, my husband is an attorney. Luckily, I was not close to shore. I could have ended up with broken bones, or worse. I almost had to beg to get my money back. The owner of the parasailing company had the audacity to ask my husband for (free) legal advice since he had recently bought the company a week earlier. After that I did much research about the parasailing industry. It is totally unregulated. I sent many emails around Florida to have that changed. I can't believe that after all these years, nothing has changed. I feel horrible that I did not follow this through years ago. Maybe I could have saved a life. I feel horrible.
Boca BItes wrote:
Some of the major incidents involving parasails in Florida:
APRIL 2004: Madeira Beachgoers rescue two Gwinnett County, Ga., teenage girls after their parasail tow rope snaps.
DECEMBER 2003: Two vacationing girls from Massachusetts escape with scrapes and bruises after their wayward parasail sends them into the side of a house in Bradenton Beach.
AUGUST 2001: A couple parachuting in the Florida Panhandle survive a 300-foot fall into Santa Rosa Sound after their parasail separates from a tow boat during a thunderstorm.
JULY 2001: A mother and her 13-year-old daughter from Kentucky are killed when the tow line breaks in stormy conditions and they fall 200 feet into 4 feet of water off Fort Myers.
NOVEMBER 1999: Three men parasailing off Clearwater avert injury when their rope snaps, sending them skyward. A gust of wind lifts them above the 20-story Crescent Beach Club and drops them safely into the gulf. "I thought we were going to die," one man says.
JULY 1997: Two Virginia teens survive a 150-foot fall into the water near Naples when lightning strikes their parasail and severs the tow line.
DECEMBER 1990: A security guard vacationing in Pinellas dies when his foot becomes tangled in the tow line and he is dragged across a Clearwater parking lot. Seven years later, a jury finds the parasail operator negligent and awards $4.5-million in damages.
Mamabear10410

United States

#113 Sep 12, 2007
Read my story above. I wish I would have been the b**** that went to the media before a tragedy happened.
Pouring into Eternity wrote:
Kind of hard to sue the rope company when it wasnt made for this kind of activity. Parasailing ropes hold up to 8500 lbs so it shouldnt have snapped. Maybe try retied and crappy maybe not the right rope. I think the mom is being greedy! Seriously what kind of b**** would go onto the media for an interview and have pictures of her kids in the hospital right after the accident??? Seriously! I think the dad is just trying to set everything straight! She is all in the media and he isn't!
Mamabear10410

United States

#114 Sep 12, 2007
Michelle, I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree with you. Parasailing HAS to become a regulated industry. Right now, any yahoo can buy a boat and the least amount of equipment and start up a parasailing business. It is so wrong.
Michelle wrote:
Amber is like my little sister and I think your comments about money are (to me nice)messed up! All that is trying to be done is to make LAWS to protect other peoples children! What would you do if given this? Would you want to protect other people or would you only think about yourselves! Amber would what to protect other people. If you don't know her or the family, then shove it! The only thing I don't agree with are the pictures, but I guess everyone has to know what really happened, and how she was when we all saw her last. If you have anything negative to say about people who are only trying to make laws so no one else has to see there child like this. Then I suggest you take a real good look at yourself!
Im not sorry

Lady Lake, FL

#115 Sep 15, 2007
You people are quiet possibly the stupidest that I've ever had to deal with. That's really saying something too. Let me ask you, why oh why do people do "extreme" sports like parasailing/bungee jumping/hang gliding? I'll give you a hint, it's because of the adrenaline rush that you get. Does anybody know why you get an adrenaline rush? It's when you feel you're in DANGER. This is very simple, parasailing is dangerous...if you want to go then do so at your own risk. Otherwise shut the f*** up and stop whining!
TOS

Matthews, NC

#116 Sep 19, 2007
Im not sorry - I've tried to speak to you as calmly and as rationally as I know how but your views are intolerant and inflexible. It is often difficult to have a conversation with an autocrat because they are only interested in indoctrinating others rather than seeking the truth and truly communicating with other human beings. Nobody here is stupid for having an opinion, even those who speak negatively of this family. They don't have all the answers and probably never will. I have been in touch with Amber's father regularly since the accident and I still don't have all the answers. I know, as stated above by "Pouring into Eternity", that the father is trying to "set things right" and I back him 100% in his efforts.

All that being said I have to ask:
Why are you so angry?

What will all of this mean to you a month to a year down the road?

Why are you taking so personally what a handful of people you don't know say?

Can you see why I would take what you have to say personally and can you also see why I don't take it personally?

You mentioned in an earlier post that you hoped that the family members were not reading these comments. Well quit hoping and know they are paying attention along with several of her friends. Some are kids she went to school with. I am her Aunt and the lady you cussed out over her caps lock is Amber May's grandmother. Michelle went to school with her. I'm reaching here but Dennis lives in Illinois so I wouldn't be surprised if "Pouring into Eternity" knew him. Dennis, by the way since you asked so nicely, is Amber May's father and my mother types in all caps, despite me telling her not to, because she thinks it is prettier. While I apologize that this offends you, I find that endearing.

Like I stated before, I don't take your words personally and they don't anger me. I will however say that you have absolutely no clue what is going on here and I am not at liberty to enlighten you any more than you have been.

I would however feel guilty if I did not acknowlege the others I know who have been hurt by your words by throwing this tid-bit in:

You disagree, we get it. Repeating your opinion over and over isn't going to hypnotize others into taking your point of view and you can't force your idea of morality on others.

Are there not enough sleazy web sites out there where autocratic, bipolar, nonsensical, and classless behavior can be perpetuated without turning a discussion about a serious topic into a circus? How bouts you go find one?
what next

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#117 Sep 19, 2007
TOS wrote:
Im not sorry - I've tried to speak to you as calmly and as rationally as I know how but your views are intolerant and inflexible. It is often difficult to have a conversation with an autocrat because they are only interested in indoctrinating others rather than seeking the truth and truly communicating with other human beings. Nobody here is stupid for having an opinion, even those who speak negatively of this family. They don't have all the answers and probably never will. I have been in touch with Amber's father regularly since the accident and I still don't have all the answers. I know, as stated above by "Pouring into Eternity", that the father is trying to "set things right" and I back him 100% in his efforts.
All that being said I have to ask:
Why are you so angry?
What will all of this mean to you a month to a year down the road?
Why are you taking so personally what a handful of people you don't know say?
Can you see why I would take what you have to say personally and can you also see why I don't take it personally?
You mentioned in an earlier post that you hoped that the family members were not reading these comments. Well quit hoping and know they are paying attention along with several of her friends. Some are kids she went to school with. I am her Aunt and the lady you cussed out over her caps lock is Amber May's grandmother. Michelle went to school with her. I'm reaching here but Dennis lives in Illinois so I wouldn't be surprised if "Pouring into Eternity" knew him. Dennis, by the way since you asked so nicely, is Amber May's father and my mother types in all caps, despite me telling her not to, because she thinks it is prettier. While I apologize that this offends you, I find that endearing.
Like I stated before, I don't take your words personally and they don't anger me. I will however say that you have absolutely no clue what is going on here and I am not at liberty to enlighten you any more than you have been.
I would however feel guilty if I did not acknowlege the others I know who have been hurt by your words by throwing this tid-bit in:
You disagree, we get it. Repeating your opinion over and over isn't going to hypnotize others into taking your point of view and you can't force your idea of morality on others.
Are there not enough sleazy web sites out there where autocratic, bipolar, nonsensical, and classless behavior can be perpetuated without turning a discussion about a serious topic into a circus? How bouts you go find one?
This topic is over. Why do you keep responding? You've repeated numerous times that you "can't tell us anything". Drop it then. When all of this goes to court, we'll all be hearing about it over again anyway. Enough.
Im not sorry

Jupiter, FL

#118 Sep 19, 2007
I don't really care what names you call me or how you try to insult me, although I find it interesting that you say everybody is entitled to their opinion blah blah blah and in the next sentence you proceed to attack me personally...lol. If you wanna attack me fine, but don't claim to be above me.
I'm really not angry, more frustrated. I'm frustrated that your family has/is placing a price tag on amber's life, something I'm sure she wouldn't appreciate. Frustrated that in today's society every single accident is immediately followed by a lawsuit. Frustrated that a man that had that accident is gonna be crucified for it. I'm sure he feels badly enough and is going to have to live the rest of his life in guilt, but now he's going to do so under i-95. As I've said before, you keep saying that the family is just trying to "set things right" well how much money does that entail? How much $$ does it take to make the pain go away?
Why are you taking this all so personally?
I still stand by my previous statement, I truly do hope that her close family and friends have stayed away from this forum and have no knowledge of what has been said here. But it's not my responsibility to censure myself simply because your family wants to take part here. Any fool should know that this would be a hot topic and full of controversy.
I really don't care if your mother thinks its pretty or not.
If you don't like what I have to say here then I'll give you some advise. Top right corner of your computer monitor there's a little red x. Click it and I'll never bother you again. As far as your continued insults, I really don't care. As for finding a website...I think I've already found one that'll do nicely thanks. I believe that you and yours have turned this into a circus.
Michelle

Auburndale, FL

#119 Sep 25, 2007
Thank you, atleast someone on here agrees with me. when i was still being nice. i got a lil pissed in my last few, cause i think these people are stupid. Shannon doesn't want money, she wants other people to keep their lives. I don't think thats such a bad thing. and all this should be about is the wonderfull memory of Amber May, and the little girl whos life she saved. the pettion website is http://www.leesfield.com/CM/News/Amber-May-La...
Mamabear10410 wrote:
Michelle, I couldn't have said it better. I totally agree with you. Parasailing HAS to become a regulated industry. Right now, any yahoo can buy a boat and the least amount of equipment and start up a parasailing business. It is so wrong. <quoted text>
Michelle

Auburndale, FL

#120 Sep 29, 2007
And yet again a little kid flew into power lines today in Florida while para sailing, i wonder if ya'll will think the same about his parents??
tall bit

Broussard, LA

#121 Mar 6, 2008
thats so sad
Anon

Boca Raton, FL

#122 Apr 15, 2008
In regards to Sandi:
"no money will bring her back. her last day was spent doing something she wanted to do."

what are you talking about ?
Read the story again dumb ass..

" No money will bring her back no shit....but on the other hand the family should sue for the funeral and medical costs its only fair, they are not trying to settle for millions.
joe

Medford, MA

#123 Jun 3, 2008
Good..sue the bastards and get all you can..it's not making money off a child...it's called Justice.
AnOnYmOuS

Durham, NC

#124 Jun 11, 2009
NOTTHEMAMA and The Other Sister are the same people and are totally unrelated to this case and family.
Personal Injury Attorney

Tallahassee, FL

#125 Nov 13, 2010
TinyTerror wrote:
I would file a lawsuit also in this case. These people who provide these types of recreational activities must be liable for whatever is done while people are in there care.
I would have called David Frank for help with personal injury law. http://224help.com/

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ocala Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: CREWS TREE SERVICE (May '10) Jul 20 Lynn S 13
News Boy run over on beach remains in serious condition Jul 20 former lifeguard 1
Felon registered as A Democrat Jul 20 Jerry T Boner 1
~ Paige Beck, the Hottie ~ (Sep '06) Jul 19 Reagan 40
Guy in Ormond By The Sea that yells at God Jul 18 whats up 6
Trouble At Stonecrest (Oct '12) Jul 18 Monica 47
pedophile on news in park discussing protecting... (Nov '16) Jul 16 P H bowen 2

Ocala Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ocala Mortgages