Obion County to have fee-base fire se...

Obion County to have fee-base fire service

There are 48 comments on the WEHT-TV Evansville story from Oct 18, 2010, titled Obion County to have fee-base fire service. In it, WEHT-TV Evansville reports that:

There will be countywide fire protection available in Obion County next year. A vote Monday morning by the Obion County Commission approved a subscription fire service.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WEHT-TV Evansville.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
patriot

Afton, OK

#1 Oct 18, 2010
Raising taxes again.

Yes, it's a new tax. It is yet a new 'fee' we have to pay, where most of had no fee previously.

So where is the logic in this? Dude does not pay for fire protection in one of the THREE fire districts in Obion County which which require subscription. His house burns down. So to solve this problem, now the county commission concludes that it will make us ALL PAY??

Contact our bone-headed county commissioners and tell them NO!!
Philip

Miami, FL

#2 Oct 19, 2010
They probably broadened the fee in preparation for the lawsuits that will follow.
stupid

Union City, TN

#3 Oct 19, 2010
i know you probly have new clothes you dont wear, cell phone, house phone, internet, cable, smoke, drink, etc.. so?? why u complain bout paying for service that can save your house that harbors all of this?? tell me why?? support your community bone head, its FIRE PROTECTION!!!
rider

United States

#4 Oct 19, 2010
Boot all these sorry commissioners out!
Curious Citizen

Union City, TN

#5 Oct 20, 2010
If more than 5 citizens had shown up at the meeting in which it was voted in, maybe you could have swayed more of the commissioners into voting NO. As it is, the Obion County residents have only yourselves to blame due to your apathy in letting the commissioners know how you feel about the pay to spray fee for service in rural Obion County. Maybe more of you will speak up for adding the cost to your property tax when you are able to vote for it in 2012. You can be sure that the increase to most residents property tax bills will be a lot less than the $75 you will need to pay by July 1, 2011.
guhhh

Shelbyville, TN

#6 Oct 20, 2010
support fire protection for all - it's the right thing to do
fire fighter

United States

#7 Oct 20, 2010
Obion County has had fee based fire protection service in rural areas for years. This is NOT new. Just pay the damn fee and you'll be protected. No one is entitled to FREE fire protection. Fire fighters spend hrs of time training and risking their lives. So stop all the whining. No one else is expected to work for free so why should fire fighters?
Curious Citizen

Union City, TN

#8 Oct 20, 2010
As I understand from what the Hornbeak Fire Chief stated, the 5 city departments that did not have subscription service would respond and send a bill. So those people did have fire protection - without paying in advance. I can not find anything under this new policy that was just voted in as to how the fire departments will react if a rural resident has a fire and has not paid their fee. Starting next July, every department in Obion County will have to check the roll to determine if the fee has been paid. Currently, only 3 departments do.

The county wide fire protection paid for through property taxes is in my opinion the best policy. The Hornbeak Chief even stated that it took several years before the 3 subscription departments had 70% participation in subscribers - so if these other 5 start off slow and less than 50% participate, there will actually be fewer people covered for fire protection than there is now.

I can't wait to hear if the entire county is going to respond only to those people on the list.
worried

White Plains, KY

#9 Oct 20, 2010
stupid wrote:
i know you probly have new clothes you dont wear, cell phone, house phone, internet, cable, smoke, drink, etc.. so?? why u complain bout paying for service that can save your house that harbors all of this?? tell me why?? support your community bone head, its FIRE PROTECTION!!!
Chances are the fire department would not be able to save a rural home on fire. But when I pay the 75 dollars on time i will not have my home owners insurance canceled, ahd I will have access to the fire department. Simply put, if this guy had just payed his 75 dollars we would not be facing an increase in our fire protection fee. He probably will end up making us all pay big time!!! This is ignorance plain and simple on his part!!! Having fire protection for my rural home was a priviledge to me. I don't have the money to throw around but I feel strongly about this. But if the fire protection fee goes up...I am very worried because I am on fixed income.
resident of obion county

Medon, TN

#10 Oct 20, 2010
under the new plan. the fire departments will only respond to a subscriber. no response for a non subscriber.so if you want a fire dept, you need to pay the 75.00 thanks to our county commissioners
Fireman

Memphis, TN

#11 Oct 20, 2010
resident of obion county wrote:
under the new plan. the fire departments will only respond to a subscriber. no response for a non subscriber.so if you want a fire dept, you need to pay the 75.00 thanks to our county commissioners
Well You asked for it funniest shit ive ever seen...
Duh

Union City, TN

#12 Oct 20, 2010
Curious Citizen wrote:
As I understand from what the Hornbeak Fire Chief stated, the 5 city departments that did not have subscription service would respond and send a bill. So those people did have fire protection - without paying in advance. I can not find anything under this new policy that was just voted in as to how the fire departments will react if a rural resident has a fire and has not paid their fee. Starting next July, every department in Obion County will have to check the roll to determine if the fee has been paid. Currently, only 3 departments do.
The county wide fire protection paid for through property taxes is in my opinion the best policy. The Hornbeak Chief even stated that it took several years before the 3 subscription departments had 70% participation in subscribers - so if these other 5 start off slow and less than 50% participate, there will actually be fewer people covered for fire protection than there is now.
I can't wait to hear if the entire county is going to respond only to those people on the list.
The ONLY "fewer" people to have fire protection will be those who don't want it! It's not rocket science. It's just like your cable tv or electric. If you want it; you pay for it. If you don't, don't worry about. Just don't bitch when you have a fire. I don't understand the trouble with this issue. You don't mind paying your bills but you expect fire protection to be free.
Get the facts

Memphis, TN

#13 Oct 20, 2010
This plan was in the works long before the house burned in south fulton. What you people dont understand is that if you are in the areas where you are required to pay a subscription fee your insurance company can raise your premium or cancel you all together if you have a fire and have chosen not to pay this fee. Im not saying this fee is fair but im just saying it is a fact so if you live in these areas and you want the fire dept to respond if you need them then just pay the fee & quit bitching. Its too late to bitch when your house and all your belongings are gone. The man in south fulton had the choice to pay the fee and he ignored it therefore they did not respond. Its not the fireman that dont want to respond but they get their orders from the mayor...
Curious

United States

#14 Oct 20, 2010
This is just for residents outside the city limits, isn't it? I just want to make sure I understand.
jack

White Plains, KY

#15 Oct 21, 2010
I am sorry about their home and pets. I always pay the 75 dollars every year and on time. That is money i could put toward my medication, I am on limited income. I struggle monthly to pay my bills. I rob peter to pay paul. But i follow the rules and try to do what is right. He and his wife have two social security checks, he a goodyear pension, and her a smaller pension so they have more money than me. it is not fair if the fire protection fee goes up because of the stupidity of these people. Why should I and many others have to pay because of their stupidity. If they keep it the same at 75 dollars and add it to our property taxes ...fine. But what about people who rent out in the rural area? What if I didn't pay my property taxes or the electric bill or my home owners??? What would happen to me????
not confused

United States

#16 Oct 21, 2010
These people are not impoverished. They said on National TV they just "didn't get around" to paying the $75 fee! That is NO excuse for ignorance. They let their own pets perish in the house and could have rescued them long before a fire truck could have arrived. Shame on the owners! Sorry if they get no sympathy from me and many others.
Annoyed

Cookeville, TN

#17 Oct 22, 2010
What kind of community are we when we fail to show compassion? Is it not possible that there will be older citizens who don't understand the new system or lose their bill? I live in Obion county and did NOT pay a subscription fee - it wasn't required by my local fire dept. I will pay the fee, but I worry about those who won't understand the new rules. I shake my head in embarrasment when I hear people saying that someone "deserved" to have their house burn unchecked. I hear people talk about our "Christian" community, but I don't see any sign of it.
Fire protection is NOT just like cable tv. It IS just like an ambulance or deputy. The county commissioners will have to live with these consequenses, and so will the people who defend them.
honestly

Owensboro, KY

#18 Oct 25, 2010
see the thing with this is they don't just send out a letter reminding people to pay. they call them an remind you several times an after several reminders they don't pay it why keep calling an sending them letters to remind them???
Robert

United States

#19 Oct 25, 2010
Thinks this is such bullsh*t i mean people like my grandma worked all their lived and drawing very little money a month and they wanna raise taxes.what kind of shyt is this the government took my grandmothers health insurance and she needs her medications and these idiots want to raise taxes.What has this world come i mean dont these @$$holes know the economy is bad right now?Some people cant afford this and u would think as much money they deduct from our payroll there fees would get paid.Guess thats life for u though government sticking it to the man!!
O lets see

White Plains, KY

#20 Oct 25, 2010
Maybe all Towns in Obion Co. should just stay inside the towns limits that way everyone would see how much it would take to give Co. people fire protection.HOW ABOUT THAT?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Obion Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sabrina McCurdy (Apr '15) 2 hr Mr Man 26
Obion 2 hr Mr Man 29
Loaded Grain Truck 8 hr The man 33
Roads 19 hr Trucker 12
New Obion Mayor 19 hr JED 7
Susie Warren Pollock Sep 20 Tim 4
Obion Revenue Sep 20 JED 6

Obion Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance