Donald Lee Betts

Aug 23, 2007 Full story: The Morning Journal 74

Donald Lee Betts, 31, of Oberlin, died unexpectedly Tuesday, Aug. 21, 2007, in New Russia Township. via The Morning Journal

Full Story
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
A friend

Beverly Hills, CA

#1 Aug 31, 2007
I knew Don at Oberlin, or as he went by, "Felix". He was a spontaneous, creative, and adventurous guy and he lived his life to the fullest. He had probably experienced more in his short life than most people.
I hope that he has found rest now.
Felixs Aunt Tammy

Syracuse, NY

#2 Sep 3, 2007
What an amazing loving guy he was. He was wise beyond his years. You'll be sadly missed dude. I love you!
a concerned city dwellers

Canton, OH

#3 Sep 4, 2007
how did he die?
jimmy from oberlin

Canton, OH

#4 Sep 4, 2007
did you go to school with him at oberlin college?
Nicole Betts

Bedford, OH

#5 Sep 10, 2007
This is Felix wife. I loved my husband very much in the three years we were together we got married had two babies River and Slyvia and moved to two different states. He loved his family more then life it self and thought that we would be better off without him. His love was too much for this world. I never met someone like him and never will. I use to be so afraid of death but not anymore because I know now that in death there is peace and my husband is waiting for me. When he died I never felt so much pain. It is like dying but still being able to breath and walk but you see everything in a different light almost like a dream. Nobody will ever understand my pain and what he meant to me and my children. HE WAS MY WORLD. if anyone wants to write me my email is nicole_motivated@hotmail.com
Karen

Edinburg, TX

#6 Oct 4, 2007
My cousin was a great guy and loved his family dear. I will always remember all the good times we had together. He will always live in memory. To the concerned city dweller, how insensitive can a human be to post a comment like that, when his family and friends are using this blog in to remember such a wonderful person!
Tammy

Sorel, Canada

#7 Oct 19, 2007
In death comes peace? Only for Donnie. It was the only way he knew to get away and be at peace. His children will never know him now. I loved my nephew and really wish I could figure out what was going on in mind that last period of time when he moved to Ohio. Someday I will see him again and the truth will become clear. Until then, he will forever be spinnin' records in my heart!
Joey-His Brother

Knoxville, TN

#8 Dec 17, 2007
I miss my brother something awful. He and I have so many fond memories of all of our crazy antics and wild thing we used to do on a whim. I would have and still will do anything for him. It was nothing for me to drop anything and help him if needed WE did alot together although we lived in two seperate states. Donny was the FIRST person I ever told I was having a child because I knew it would make him proud and happy. I love him so and miss him very much. You will always be in my heart Donny...I love you Brother.
Donnys Aunt Tammy

Sorel, Canada

#9 Dec 26, 2007
He has been on my mind so much lately too. I wonder about the kids, River and Sylvia and how they are. I worry for them. Joey, if you ever want to talk to me, I was really close to donny. You can e-mail me missing.you.felix@gmail.com
Joey-His Brother wrote:
I miss my brother something awful. He and I have so many fond memories of all of our crazy antics and wild thing we used to do on a whim. I would have and still will do anything for him. It was nothing for me to drop anything and help him if needed WE did alot together although we lived in two seperate states. Donny was the FIRST person I ever told I was having a child because I knew it would make him proud and happy. I love him so and miss him very much. You will always be in my heart Donny...I love you Brother.
Felixs Aunt Tammy

Sorel, Canada

#10 Dec 26, 2007
He has been on my mind so much lately too. I wonder about the kids, River and Sylvia and how they are. I worry for them. Joey, if you ever want to talk to me, I was really close to donny. You can e-mail me missing.you.felix@gmail.com
Nicole Betts

Bedford, OH

#11 Jan 24, 2008
Your brother loved you very much and we were both happy for you about the baby. He use to always say my baby brother this and my baby brother that. He was always proud of you saying that even at a young age you had a good job and a steady life, he admired you for that. He his still in my heart and mind. I will always love him but I know that he would have wanted me to move on and to be happy again not only for me but for my children. Through me he to shall live. My children will know who there father was. I just wished we could have gotten him help sooner. I don't know if I believe in life after death but if there is I hope he is waiting there for me. We are all doing fine including Don who has really stepped up and is helping me raise two wonderful kids. I love you baby bro.
Joey-His Brother wrote:
UGH

Rochester, NY

#12 Feb 17, 2008
Yes, he would have wanted you to MOVE on and be happy. But not with his dad! That's why he's gone!
Nicole Betts

Avon Lake, OH

#14 Mar 19, 2008
UGH wrote:
Yes, he would have wanted you to MOVE on and be happy. But not with his dad! That's why he's gone!
You have no idea what you are talking about not even I know why he did what he did. And what kind of person are you to talk like that to a woman who just lost her husband. If you really loved him you wouldn't be putting me and my children through this. Don and I are taking care of the kids the best way we can. He was there to pick up the pieces and make we believe that tomorrow will be a better day and he is giving my children what they lack and that is a father. Donny loved his children but he left them, Don on the other hand has been there from day one and I love him for that.
And lastly

Williamson, NY

#15 Apr 16, 2008
This conversation is getting too out of hand for the internet. And for broadcasting my wonderful nephews business and my "Jerry Springer" family. The only rebutal I have for you is that I did love Donnie, still do and always will. I would have loved to be part of HIS kids lives. Bare in mind that karma is a bitch and what comes around goes around. We are not to judge for we will all be judged in the end.

Finally, I will e-mail you from my e-mail address if you have anything left to say to me or want to try to explain why it is that Donnie left us all. I'm done posting on this tread.

For anyone else that may come across this tread, I loved my nephew and it is truly a sad time whenever anyone leaves this world. I miss him, my daughter misses him, my parents miss him, and I only hope that he is at peace now. Unfortunely, as with most deaths in a family, this DID NOT bring the family closer. It ruined it. The death of a family is truly a sad event as well. And as with any death, the one of this family can never brought back to life either.
Amanda Betts

Murfreesboro, TN

#16 Apr 16, 2008
I only met Donny one time. Him and the family came to Nashville to visit on the way to Ohio.
In the little time that I knew him he was full of energy and loved to laugh! He had some kind of system in his van that he actually put together himself....now that is some real talent!! John (Joey)really adored Donny and has so many great stories to share about their experiences and trips.
I hope for all the family members, that your wounds have begun to heal and the pain has subsided. May Donny's soul rest in the presence of the Almighty.
Nicole Betts

Bedford, OH

#17 May 6, 2008
I'll always love him. He is never far from me, I think about him everyday. I hope there is a God and that he is watching over me and the kids. He is missing so much. Why did he have to leave us? Why?
Joey- Baby Brother

United States

#18 Jun 15, 2008
Happy Father's Day Brother. I miss you dearly. I love you bro. Think of you all the time. Love you,

Joey
Sandy Betts

Childersburg, AL

#19 Jun 17, 2008
Well I just happened to find this blog today or I would have already been posting my thoughts on here. I was Donny's sister-in-law for almost 8 years. I am Joey's ex-wife but I am still very much Joey's friend and recently befriended his new wife Amanda.

I had many experiences with Donny and to me Donny was never loved the way he deserved to be. He had a big heart and yes he went through more in his short life than most of us ever will. Donny was in our wedding and that was probably the only time in his life he ever wore a tux! LOL! We were there when he and Nicky got married in New York and I remember thinking that he could have not found someone who loved him more. They were so truly happy that day. It wasn't long after that we got a call saying a baby was on the way. Joey drove to New York and helped move them down to Knoxville. River came along and had the biggest and bluest eyes ever. We went up and visited and Nikki and I made a book for Donny of baby photos of him and all his brothers.

Donny was always a hard worker and he knew what it was like to have nothing but the streets. He loved his wife more than anything and his kids. I know that when he met Nicky and they had River he was happier than I had ever seen him.. Joey and I divorced and I never got to meet Sylvia. However, Donny and Nicky told me that I was still welcome and that they still loved me even after my divorce from Joey. Donny knew that I loved him and that I had always loved his brother.

Donny did truly love Joey and used to always tell me that he would kill for Joey and I'm sure he meant that literally...LOL!

The day I found out Donny had passed away. It was like a sword in my side. I was so heart broken that he was in such pain that he died the way he did. Plus, I had been his family for almost 8 years and I could not even go to the funeral and show my love and respect for him. It is my understanding that a lot of the photos that were at the funeral were photos I had taken and that Donny was wearing his favorite jeans which were a pair of JNCO jeans I had bought Joey years ago. SO, I guess in some way I was there. I loved Donny like my own brother for years and still do. I pray for his family and only God knows what the future holds .

I love and miss Donny and I wish more than anything someone could have taken his pain so that he could have had joy instead!

Donny you are always in my heart!!!!

Sandy Betts
Sandy Betts

Childersburg, AL

#20 Jun 17, 2008
Nicole Betts wrote:
I'll always love him. He is never far from me, I think about him everyday. I hope there is a God and that he is watching over me and the kids. He is missing so much. Why did he have to leave us? Why?
Nicky,
All I can say to you is that Yes, there is a God and he has a plan larger than ours. I dont think the pain of losing Donny will ever go away but you will learn to adjust. Just try to remember the good things about Donny and help his children to know the man he was. He lives on through them. You cannot change the past and you cannot live for tomorrow so live for today and make each day the best you can for his kids. One day at a time!
Sandy Betts

Childersburg, AL

#21 Jun 17, 2008
I remember picking Donny up from the bus station here and we had Desi with us. She was so little she was maybe 3 at the time. We went to the Parkway Place Mall and it was so early that none of the stores were open. He chased her around the mall forever and lifted her up on his shoulders. I remember he had on a white tank top, black cut off jeans to the knee and some red and black striped socks and a kangol hat....we were laughing at him telling him his socks looked like a Jester's....He always had his own sense of style! He didn't care what anybody thought of it either. That was a fun time, he rode with us down to Jacksonville, FL and the whole way down there he was sitting on a bean bag in our car because we had 3 kids in the back seat and didnt have another seat...LOL! It was cramped but it was a blast! He played with the kids the whole way doen there and the girls argued over who got to wear his necklace and over who got to hold his Felix stuffed cat...:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oberlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
U.S. senator seeks national caffeine powder ban Dec 13 footnote TYPICAL ... 7
blank scripts Dec 13 jayzie2014 3
Family of powdered caffeine-overdose victim mee... Dec 12 Typical Dick 3
Oberlin College Cancels Classes after Person in... (Mar '13) Dec 10 chrishateskkk 2
NO CANADA OIL to TX-OK! Dec 8 NO CANADA OIL TO ... 1
Fight at RC's Saturday night Nov '14 Peaceful parter 1
Jon DeWitt Jul '14 mee 1
Oberlin Dating
Find my Match

Oberlin People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oberlin News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oberlin

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News