Ohio Town Mulls Becoming Immigrant Sa...

Ohio Town Mulls Becoming Immigrant Sanctuary

There are 182 comments on the www.wcpo.com story from Nov 13, 2008, titled Ohio Town Mulls Becoming Immigrant Sanctuary. In it, www.wcpo.com reports that:

Illegal immigrants should be able to seek help from police or fire departments without fear of being turned over to federal agents, according to a proposal that would make this college town an immigrant ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.wcpo.com.

First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#1 Nov 14, 2008
If your town becomes an illegal immigrant sanctuary, don't ask for Federal or State aid when your budget surplus disappears especially since the country is in a recession, you'll be on your own!

Unless of course you R A P E the towns law abiding American taxpayers paycheck by increasing property taxes like Long Island does.......
Ohio No

United States

#2 Nov 14, 2008
Stop the madness...why do you want to be a Sanctuary city. Didn't Ohio just loose about 9500 jobs thru DHL?

Why Ohio? Why threaten Americans with Illegal Assylum when the country or your state does not have the funds to house illegals. Why are we becoming a third world cesspool...DEPORT THEM BACK TO THEIR COUNTRY! Their country needs to see for their rights.

We are fighting Sanctuary status in Los Angeles. We cannot afford iimgration in America. WE have many un-employed beings legally here whom need to work and feed our families....WHY ARE ALL YOU STATES DOING THIS. LOCAL GOVERNMENT MUST BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE. Don't stop contacting your representatives.
Bob

Van Wert, OH

#3 Nov 14, 2008
The town is making a huge mistake. I moved out here from NJ which is a sanctuary state. The quiet little beach town I grew up in now looks like a 3rd world barrio. While they are generally nice people, they are illiterate peasants, and they live like peasants. It's common for them to live 30 to a 2 bedroom house. They have to sleep in shifts. On trash day the street looks like the county dump. Then the tent cities pop up. I know people in Lakewood, NJ, who's dogs went missing. Later on somebody finds dog bones in the woods. The only people who benefit from illegals are the tax dodging, slave wage employers, and the local slumlords. I wouldn't be surprised if the idiots trying to pass this law have some kind of financial interest in keeping the illegal slave workers around Oberlin.
asian guy

Ang Sila, Thailand

#4 Nov 14, 2008
if they are illegal, they have no business in america.

if americans don't put their foot down, and stop this unfair and unjust switch to being a "sanctuary city", they will essentially GIVE away the future of their children to illegal aliens.

in a time of high unemployment, and financial collapse, I don't understand the logic of GIVING our money to illegal aliens.

WHY???
American

North Olmsted, OH

#5 Nov 15, 2008
Residents of Oberlin and Lorain County, you must speak up and be heard. Stop the madness. Look at the sanctuary cities. The crime and cost to the tax payers. If Oberlin City Council approves this resolution, they are stating it is ok to ignore our federal immigration laws. Since when is it ok to pick and choose what laws are enforced? If the Oberlin City Council approves this resolution, they should be charged with harboring criminals!!
Democrats are in control

Stony Brook, NY

#6 Nov 15, 2008
Fed up Suffolk Taxpayer wrote:
If your town becomes an illegal immigrant sanctuary, don't ask for Federal or State aid when your budget surplus disappears especially since the country is in a recession, you'll be on your own!
Unless of course you R A P E the towns law abiding American taxpayers paycheck by increasing property taxes like Long Island does.......
Now that the dems are in control of the country I'm sure the town will get the funding at the expense of the middle class.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#7 Nov 16, 2008
We are a small group of LEGAL CITIZENS who intend to go to the city council meeting and protest this resolution. Is anyone else interested in joining us?

This will not only effect Oberlin, but the entire area. Illegals are as mobile as the rest of us and they will not STAY in Oberlin.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#8 Nov 16, 2008
Bob wrote:
The town is making a huge mistake. I moved out here from NJ which is a sanctuary state. The quiet little beach town I grew up in now looks like a 3rd world barrio. While they are generally nice people, they are illiterate peasants, and they live like peasants. It's common for them to live 30 to a 2 bedroom house. They have to sleep in shifts. On trash day the street looks like the county dump. Then the tent cities pop up. I know people in Lakewood, NJ, who's dogs went missing. Later on somebody finds dog bones in the woods. The only people who benefit from illegals are the tax dodging, slave wage employers, and the local slumlords. I wouldn't be surprised if the idiots trying to pass this law have some kind of financial interest in keeping the illegal slave workers around Oberlin.
I have read stories like yours, and worse, from all over the nation. I live near this area and I am going to do all I can to stop this. This is crazy! This area already has an 8.5% unemployment rate! The LAST thing we need is competition for the measly jobs that are left from people who don't even BELONG in this nation...not to mention all the other problems associated with illegals.
Referee

Winter Haven, FL

#9 Nov 16, 2008
Unemployment is at a 25 Year High and these people want to bring in more illegal aliens to further exacerbate the problem?

Lorain County Catholic Action Commission members should be identified and publicly routed from the town.

The very idea that the people of this country should need to seek a court order prohibiting any action which impedes Law Enforcement Agencies from properly enforcing the existing immigration law is ludicrous.

Illegal Immigrants are criminals and should be treated as such.

Employers who hire them should be put out of business.

Landlords who rent to them should have their property siezed just as if they were trafficking in drugs and then the Landlords should be prosectued for facilitating a crime.

The laws are not unclear.

ENFORCE THE LAW!
Poster

AOL

#10 Nov 16, 2008
Sanctuary cities equates to treason against the American people.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#11 Nov 16, 2008
Poster wrote:
Sanctuary cities equates to treason against the American people.
Americans are required to obey our laws, and that's a GOOD thing. This is ridiculous to think that an American town can refuse to cooperate with other law enforcement officials which will have a negative effect on American citizens who belong here. This has to be stopped.

Americans don't get to choose which laws they obey and which ones they find "inconvenient" and that's as it should be.

Why these people think it makes them so "progressive" to enact resolutions to ignore certain laws is beyond me.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#12 Nov 16, 2008
American wrote:
Residents of Oberlin and Lorain County, you must speak up and be heard. Stop the madness. Look at the sanctuary cities. The crime and cost to the tax payers. If Oberlin City Council approves this resolution, they are stating it is ok to ignore our federal immigration laws. Since when is it ok to pick and choose what laws are enforced? If the Oberlin City Council approves this resolution, they should be charged with harboring criminals!!
Are you willing to go speak out with us? We are gathering people who are willing to let their feelings be known.

I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but I was hoping you'd be willing to join us.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#13 Nov 16, 2008
Referee wrote:
Unemployment is at a 25 Year High and these people want to bring in more illegal aliens to further exacerbate the problem?
Lorain County Catholic Action Commission members should be identified and publicly routed from the town.
The very idea that the people of this country should need to seek a court order prohibiting any action which impedes Law Enforcement Agencies from properly enforcing the existing immigration law is ludicrous.
Illegal Immigrants are criminals and should be treated as such.
Employers who hire them should be put out of business.
Landlords who rent to them should have their property siezed just as if they were trafficking in drugs and then the Landlords should be prosectued for facilitating a crime.
The laws are not unclear.
ENFORCE THE LAW!
With our unemployment rate being so much higher here than in most areas of the nation...which are also very high, this just doesn't make sense on that level alone. There are so many other levels on which this is wrong and those American cities adversely effected by this already know what we're facing here if this goes through. What a mess!!
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#14 Nov 16, 2008
Fed up Suffolk Taxpayer wrote:
This is such a mess. After reading about what's going on all over the nation with regards to illegal immigration, I am heartsick that it is now coming to my area. We have such a high rate of unemployment as it is and now it will only get worse as American citizens compete for jobs with people who shouldn't even be here. Seventy percent of the working people in this county do not have medical insurance. SEVENTY PERCENT...and yet, we will be forced to pay for people who should not even be in our nation. County taxes will go up to pay for welfare benefits for illegal aliens, property taxes, already too high, will be jacked up even more to pay for illegal aliens and all the social services they KNOW how to get. This has to be stopped!!
Darlene

Littleton, CO

#15 Nov 16, 2008
Mary I wish you and your group much success. Take your U.S. flags with you......just a suggestion. Look at DHL in Ohio, just the latest effecting Ohio jobs.

“Assimilate & Speak English!”

Since: Jan 07

Lansing, IL - now: Pomp Bch FL

#16 Nov 16, 2008
I cannot believe *any* town would consider this -- at the obvious expense of citizens. So what if an illegal is afraid to report a crime? Anyone who is breaking the law *should* be afraid. Citizens who break the law are afraid!

This is right on par with saying if you go to buy drugs and the drug dealer takes your money or gives you sh*t for it, you should be able to go tell the cops and not get arrested for your participation in illegal activity. WTF?! Citizens would be afraid to do this, but illegals are exempt from being afraid? Why are they so much better?

Here's a novel idea: if they do not want to be afraid, GO HOME! Problem solved.
ex-pitcher

Henderson, NV

#17 Nov 16, 2008
I would urge you people of this area, IF YOU ARE BREATHING, to band together and demand by any way possible that your politicians end this idea now!!! I will guarantee you, if you don't, what you've seen and heard about all over this nation will be in your back yard!!! Not only will your jobs go away, barrios will form, services will become strained and even fail, schools overcrowded, gangs with graffiti sprayed on any thing vertical, and in the end you will be forced to move or leave the area because you will not be able to exist in the middle of all the changes you'll see around you!!! STAND UP NOW!!!
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#18 Nov 16, 2008
Darlene wrote:
Mary I wish you and your group much success. Take your U.S. flags with you......just a suggestion. Look at DHL in Ohio, just the latest effecting Ohio jobs.
That's a good idea, Darlene. I find it difficult to believe that with the huge outcry in this nation against this invasion that Oberlin would even consider this. They consider themselves "progressive". How is inviting a group of third world people to illegally invade our nation "progressive"?
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#19 Nov 16, 2008
ex-pitcher wrote:
I would urge you people of this area, IF YOU ARE BREATHING, to band together and demand by any way possible that your politicians end this idea now!!! I will guarantee you, if you don't, what you've seen and heard about all over this nation will be in your back yard!!! Not only will your jobs go away, barrios will form, services will become strained and even fail, schools overcrowded, gangs with graffiti sprayed on any thing vertical, and in the end you will be forced to move or leave the area because you will not be able to exist in the middle of all the changes you'll see around you!!! STAND UP NOW!!!
That's exactly what a small group of us intends to do Ex Pitcher. Wish us luck! I know you've seen the horribly negative effects that happen when these sanctuary laws are passed and areas are overcome with illegal aliens. Keep us in your prayers.

I'm thinking of writing a letter to the editor of our small, local newspaper to see if we can get more supporters for the rule of law.
Mary

Vermilion, OH

#20 Nov 16, 2008
Rebel wrote:
I cannot believe *any* town would consider this -- at the obvious expense of citizens. So what if an illegal is afraid to report a crime? Anyone who is breaking the law *should* be afraid. Citizens who break the law are afraid!
This is right on par with saying if you go to buy drugs and the drug dealer takes your money or gives you sh*t for it, you should be able to go tell the cops and not get arrested for your participation in illegal activity. WTF?! Citizens would be afraid to do this, but illegals are exempt from being afraid? Why are they so much better?
Here's a novel idea: if they do not want to be afraid, GO HOME! Problem solved.
Hey Rebel! You know how I feel about this. I'm just sick that a town so near mine would even THINK of doing this. This entire area/county/state has suffered enough!! And just to add insult to injury...here comes Oberlin with this mess.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oberlin Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lisa Marie Sexton/Missing since 1981 (Dec '09) Feb 7 amos 194
News Ariel gears for Black History Month - 8:25 pm u... Feb 2 Tyronne 2
searching (Jan '16) Jan 30 Still searching 3
News Woman, 60, run over by semiWoman listed in seri... Dec '17 Joyce McKenty 2
News V-Teck: Proving that after 30 years, local radi... Dec '17 Bill Cripple 4
News Physician Somnath Roy is accused of sex crimes (Nov '07) Dec '17 Big Red 72
News City unfair to only gay bar in Lorain County, OH (May '06) Nov '17 Steve P 24

Oberlin Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oberlin Mortgages