Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,210)

Showing posts 24,181 - 24,200 of31,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

THERE IS HOPE FOR OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE BY
SUPPORTING OUR SUCCESS AND KEEP OUR CHILDREN FIRST BOARD REPRESENTATIVES WORKING FOR US ....

The time has come to VOTE FOR SUCCESS in November 2013!

Say YES to Springboro Schools Renewal Levy!

Yes for renewal levy means keeping our Springboro schools Strong and Affordable!

Keeping Our Springboro Schools both Strong and Affordable means Keeping Dr. Kelly Kohls working as Springboro Board Representative, for our school children and community!

Thank You, Dr. Kohls, for helping Springboro be a WAY BETTER place to live! work! learn! and play sports! G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Got Hope wrote:
Got Hope?..... or do you have a status quo dream of throwing Springboro students "back under" the bus in November?
Good Lord, it finally makes sense! All this time, I was wondering how anyone could believe that reducing funding for schools would actually help our children to succeed, and now I get it! Reducing funding for school buses LOWERS the chances that our children to be thrown UNDER a bus.
Just Imagine

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Good Lord, it finally makes sense! All this time, I was wondering how anyone could believe that reducing funding for schools would actually help our children to succeed, and now I get it! Reducing funding for school buses LOWERS the chances that our children to be thrown UNDER a bus.
Such a silly goose is this christopherritter (but quite amuzing).

Just imagine how much sillier are those who actually pay for this "civic innovation design" of christoperritter.
greener pastures

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe it's a fact that America spends more money on education than any other country in the world, but yet this country still lags behind other countries in performance. MONEY ISN'T FIXING THE PROBLEM.

Springboro, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

greener pastures wrote:
I believe it's a fact that America spends more money on education than any other country in the world, but yet this country still lags behind other countries in performance. MONEY ISN'T FIXING THE PROBLEM.
I'm with you there, though I believe the health care debate showed us that most Americans aren't interested in solving the problem so much as they believe that government shouldn't be in the health care business; and I believe by extension, more Americans are coming around to the idea that government shouldn't be in the education business either. That it's why we see more focus on corruption and failure than we do opportunities to improve a broken system.
greener pastures

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

government ALWAYS screws things up... you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to healthcare...ultimately those that are working with be paying higher premiums (already happening now) to cover this so called "great deal" from Obama...it's a disaster. quote from nancy pelosi.."you have to pass the bill in order to understand it"....what kind of nonsense is that ??
Learn More About It

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

greener pastures wrote:
government ALWAYS screws things up... you haven't seen anything yet when it comes to healthcare...ultimately those that are working with be paying higher premiums (already happening now) to cover this so called "great deal" from Obama...it's a disaster. quote from nancy pelosi.."you have to pass the bill in order to understand it"....what kind of nonsense is that ??
Isn't common core in Education the same kind of nonsense?
It appears that school district leaders and parent don't even
understand what is in "common core standards?

Thank goodness for our Springboro School Board President, who
brought to public attention at the last board meeting, the need to "slow down" implementation of common core, until our school district leaders better undertand common core standards, and invest time in further study to decide if this is the best plan for Springboro students' success in higher individual achievement.
Dr. Kohls is to be commended for her hard work and invested time in the best interest of our students' academic success.
Thank you, Dr. Kohls.
Faith and Charity

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
Amen
A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything you have.
-Gerald Ford - Address to Congress, August 12, 1974

Help Stop the growing addiction of government's tax and spend and tax and spend. Vote NO additonal levies in November!
spend and on and on.
and on. VOTE NO ADDITIONAL LEVIES IN NOVEMBER 2013!
Question

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Question wrote:
I looked on the booster spreadsheet that Holtrey put together and could not find anywhere on the thing in basketball or football where all that Split the Pot money went Does anybody know cause I looked in the 300 account printouts and could not find it there either. I know at basketball games they have those girls running all over with those ticket collecting a few hundred dollars per game. Where does that go and who counts that?
Any Answers from Anybody In the Know...
dribble

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Support Our Success wrote:
THERE IS HOPE FOR OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE BY
SUPPORTING OUR SUCCESS AND KEEP OUR CHILDREN FIRST BOARD REPRESENTATIVES WORKING FOR US ....
The time has come to VOTE FOR SUCCESS in November 2013!
Say YES to Springboro Schools Renewal Levy!
Yes for renewal levy means keeping our Springboro schools Strong and Affordable!
Keeping Our Springboro Schools both Strong and Affordable means Keeping Dr. Kelly Kohls working as Springboro Board Representative, for our school children and community!
Thank You, Dr. Kohls, for helping Springboro be a WAY BETTER place to live! work! learn! and play sports! G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!
! Dr
I think you dribbled a little on your chin, there Kelly! It's getting deep in here!

Springboro, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

greener pastures wrote:
government ALWAYS screws things up...
Should have quoted you on my previous post. People who say the government can't do anything right always crack me up, especially when they share it on the Internet.
Reject Forced Unionism

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2013

Judged:

Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
It's sad that you believe this. Union leaders are the worst people ever? With all the terror going on all over the world you think Union members/Leaders are the worst people around. This Far right thinking and people who are Far Left thinkers is the reason our country is going through what it is. Unbelievable!
The hero of the OEA–Saul Alinsky described his plans in 1972 to begin to organize the white middle class across America. The necessity of that project became his book Rules for Radicals which Vicki and the OEA unions certainly gobbled up nearly word for word in their activist practices. Alinsky believed that what President Richard Nixon and Vice-President Spiro Agnew called “The Silent Majority” was living in frustration and despair, worried about their future, and were ripe for a turn to radical social change. Alinsky desired to create social mechanisms to entice The Silent Majority into becoming politically active citizens. Even if Vicki Villamagna does not have Rules for Radicals on her book shelf, she has been taught the concepts instructed in that book under different names by her labor union—who widely adopted Alisnky as their prophet for radical change in America. This is what progressive labor unions have done in our public schools, and what their part in the “WAR” is all about. Saul Alinsky feared that the middle class could be driven to a right-wing viewpoint if progressives failed in their task,“making them ripe for the plucking by some guy on horseback promising a return to the vanished verities of yesterday.

If you want to learn more about the strategy of community activists, the check out
Rules for Radicals at the public library. Alinsky’s techniques and teachings influenced generatins of community and labor organizers, inlcuding the church-based group hiring a yound (Barak) Obama to work on Chicago’s South Side in the 1980s…
Alinsky impressed a young (Hillary) Clinton, who was growing up in Park Ridge at the time Alinsky was the director of the Industrial Areas Foundation in Chicago.”
-Chicago Sun-Times

Lest we forget at least an over-the shoulder acknowledgment to the very first radical; from all our legends, mythology leaves off and history begins-or which iw which), the first radical known to man who rebelled against the estrblishment and did it so effectively that he at least won his own kingdom—Lucifer.
-Saul Alinsky
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the low voter turnout, I have hope that there is only a small percentage of this anti-community sentiment, whose only power is to turn every conversation into a disgusting sludge that only appeals to their kind. Of course, they're is power in their rage as their leaders simply need to summon the spectre of unions to activate their vote. What we need is a means for more citizens to directly interact with the decision making process, to attract more people who want to collaborate on the future of our city than those who wish to destroy it.
Pray tell how it was anti-community to vote against bloat in the public employment ranks, against a government body taking substantially more than it needs, against the obfuscation of factual data, against back door maneuvers in unneeded hiring, against a campaign filled with half truths, threats and innuendo?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope some day people like this will no longer exist. You're not happy with your life so you decide to jump on the bandwagon and bash unions and say how bad they are. You my friend are the exact reason why teachers need a union. Morons like you can get elected to the school board and then YOU get to make million dollar decisions for school districts. Teachers need protection from idiots like you who win a seat on school boards. Quit blaming the unions and call your state representative and tell him or her you are fed up with the way schools have to be funded. That's the real solution to the problem, not teacher bashing and saying no to the only way a school can generate the funds it needs to run properly.
And how exactly is the presence of a union aiding in our children's education?

I see a good deal of time being spent looking for the union label and not much being spent on the 2000 plus children in this district who are not getting the education the taxpayers are funding.

Perhaps we should ask the union to come up with a few strategies that actually impact our children's lives and their education that can be implemented within the given the financial constraints that we must all live and toil under.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
It's sad that you believe this. Union leaders are the worst people ever? With all the terror going on all over the world you think Union members/Leaders are the worst people around. This Far right thinking and people who are Far Left thinkers is the reason our country is going through what it is. Unbelievable!
My only problem with union leaders is that they are superfluous in today's employment environ.

Where once tenure and unions were required to right a wrong, today's myriad of employment laws have addressed the issues that once were the purview of the unions. Note the decline of the unionized workforce in the private sector from a high tide mark of 33.9% in the 1940's to today's 7.6% participation.

In the area where you can vote yourself in union friendly paymasters, participation has grown in the private sector from 7% in the 1940's to nearly 37% today.

The basic plan is simple enough, elect enough union friendly officials that can show their gratitude by opening up the public coffers to the union. Once the unions are negotiating with themselves, the sky is the limit. No need to worry about profits because the taxpayers will keep the money flowing via fiat.

Remind me again, who is underpaid and working in hellish conditions?
apparently

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
My only problem with union leaders is that they are superfluous in today's employment environ.
Where once tenure and unions were required to right a wrong, today's myriad of employment laws have addressed the issues that once were the purview of the unions. Note the decline of the unionized workforce in the private sector from a high tide mark of 33.9% in the 1940's to today's 7.6% participation.
In the area where you can vote yourself in union friendly paymasters, participation has grown in the private sector from 7% in the 1940's to nearly 37% today.
The basic plan is simple enough, elect enough union friendly officials that can show their gratitude by opening up the public coffers to the union. Once the unions are negotiating with themselves, the sky is the limit. No need to worry about profits because the taxpayers will keep the money flowing via fiat.
Remind me again, who is underpaid and working in hellish conditions?
Apparently, both teachers and administrators are......they are leaving in DROVES. Second Business Manager in two years, another building principal. Plenty of early retirements. This should not be happening in a district like Springboro. Its either pay or working conditions I would imagine causing this. And my guess is, it may be more the latter. Employees are truly not appreciated up there. When you have a BOE member who actually says during teacher appreciation week - "maybe we should also have taxpayer appreciation day" (or something to that effect) that sends a bad message.(Not that tax payer appreciton day is not a good idea - maybe it is - but you don't say that during a week that is supposed to be dedicated to a large percentage of your employees.) He could have mentioned or suggested that at the next BOE meeting and that could have been appropriate.
Accountibility

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Just Watching wrote:
Answer wrote:
There are, according to the high school's website, 9 fall sports (football, boys soccer, girls soccer, girls volleyball, cross country, boys golf, girls golf, girls tennis and cheer leading).
There are 6 winter sports (boys basketball, girls basketball, wrestling, swimming &diving, ice hockey, and competition cheer).
There are 5 spring sports (baseball, softball, boys track, girls track and boys tennis).
That gives us a total of 20 different sports at the High School, with 20 different coaches and many assistant coaches.
Per board policy 6610, all funds are to go through the school treasurer. http://www.neola.com/springboro%2Doh/
Looking at the FINSUM report in the Fiscal information on the schools website for the latest month posted (january 2012) http://www.springboro.org/files/district/cfo/ ...
The only sports that are on the books are cheer leading (fund 300-905B), ice hockey (fund 300-915B) and competition cheer (fund 300-914B).
To summarize. There are 20 high school sports. There are 20 high school paid head coaches and numerous assistant coaches. Of those 20 high school sports, only 3 have been properly following Board Policy 6610.
Coaches were asked to bring their records and bank statements to the Treasurer. Four of the coaches, from the sports that generate the most fund raising activities have refused to turn over records or bank statements and have retained an attorney.
I do not know if the remaining 13 coaches have turned over bank statements and records to the school Treasurer.
It is against ohio law for Coaches to have these accounts. All funds are to go to the school treasurer. If it is a booster activity, then all funds should go to the boosters. There is no reason for camp flyers to have parents send the payment to the coaches home address.
Lack of putting these funds on the books shows a failure of responsibility by the Treasurer. Starting with Dettwiller, then Beaver ( briefly) and now Tracy Jarvis. This is done in ALL schools. The treasurer should be doing this.
This is also a failure of responsibility by the Administration, including the Principal, the Superintendent and even the Board.
It all comes back to the same question: Where is the MONEY?
<quoted text>
Some questions just never go away. This is from September 9, 2012, since then Mr. Wilhite complied.
Last board meeting the new supplemental contract was approved
for the basketball coach (along with assistant coach). Do you know if Springboro Sports are now working in cooperation with school policy and by laws?
Springboro parents and taxpying voters cannot allow our school administrators to drop the "ball" again, after all the hard work and successful efforts being made by our board representatives
budget transparency.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Leaving in DROVES huh, let's look at this a bit and see how it really works out.

Business Manager Jeff Madden, wanted to be a principal again. He did a good job as business manger, but that was not his cup of tea. He wanted to stay and work with the kids again. The Superintendent felt he needed him more in the business office. Jeff was given the opportunity in Fairfield and he took the job he wanted.

Ms Cook, promoted to central office by the Superintendent.

Mr. Lewis, retires.

Mr. Malone, retires.

This is what is called normal, eventually everyone leaves. Be it through promotion, retirement, or jobs they want that are elsewhere.

This nonsensical thought that people should die at their desk because we are a district like SPRINGBORO is a tad egocentric and childlike.

Everyone of those people who are retiring, being promoted, or pursuing other options at one time replaced other people who either retired, were promoted, or pursued other options.

New people come along and fill the roles everyday in a host of occupations, the sun still comes up, the world still turns, and life goes on.

While we may forget sometimes, it is the taxpayer who provides the funds for al of these employees. None of the employees of this district are volunteering their time and energy, all are paid employees, paid with the taxes provided by the taxpayers of this community.
apparently

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
Leaving in DROVES huh, let's look at this a bit and see how it really works out.
Business Manager Jeff Madden, wanted to be a principal again. He did a good job as business manger, but that was not his cup of tea. He wanted to stay and work with the kids again. The Superintendent felt he needed him more in the business office. Jeff was given the opportunity in Fairfield and he took the job he wanted.
Ms Cook, promoted to central office by the Superintendent.
Mr. Lewis, retires.
Mr. Malone, retires.
This is what is called normal, eventually everyone leaves. Be it through promotion, retirement, or jobs they want that are elsewhere.
This nonsensical thought that people should die at their desk because we are a district like SPRINGBORO is a tad egocentric and childlike.
Everyone of those people who are retiring, being promoted, or pursuing other options at one time replaced other people who either retired, were promoted, or pursued other options.
New people come along and fill the roles everyday in a host of occupations, the sun still comes up, the world still turns, and life goes on.
While we may forget sometimes, it is the taxpayer who provides the funds for al of these employees. None of the employees of this district are volunteering their time and energy, all are paid employees, paid with the taxes provided by the taxpayers of this community.
Glad someone is a tad egotistical about this district....since you clearly dislike it and have much disdain for it. Except for your buds on the BOE. And haven't you argued in the past that people would die to work here? We have had 900 applications in the past, people should be happy with their jobs here in the district. Again, you always talk out of both sides of your mouth when the argument suits you.

And yes, the sun will come up when people leave. Typically, however, it isn't such a mass-exodus as we are seeing currently.(You forgot to mention the other building principal that is leaving.) They must not have called you yet about that one.

Good leaders would probably step back and ask.....why so many leaving right now? Oh, just must be the natural order of things. Carry on.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 14, 2013

Judged:

apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
Glad someone is a tad egotistical about this district....since you clearly dislike it and have much disdain for it. Except for your buds on the BOE. And haven't you argued in the past that people would die to work here? We have had 900 applications in the past, people should be happy with their jobs here in the district. Again, you always talk out of both sides of your mouth when the argument suits you.
And yes, the sun will come up when people leave. Typically, however, it isn't such a mass-exodus as we are seeing currently.(You forgot to mention the other building principal that is leaving.) They must not have called you yet about that one.
Good leaders would probably step back and ask.....why so many leaving right now? Oh, just must be the natural order of things. Carry on.
Au contraire mon ami, not everyone has the same wants and desires as yourself. Some people operate under entirely different sets of expectations and needs than you. Hard to believe, but it is true.

We have an inordinate number of people who would like to work here as is evidenced by the plethora of resumes we receive with each job posting. Are all of the caliber we would like, the obvious answer is no, but enough of the remaining have just what we are looking for in education.

Ms. Stratton or Ms. Johnson? Of which do you speak?

In combat, leaders, particularly front line lieutenants, are lost at an alarming rate. Somehow the system manages to replace those leaders and continue on with their mission. Education is a far cry from the front lines of a battlefield where real life actions have consequences that can be catastrophic and immediate.

Given the circumstances involved here, I think we will manage just fine. The sky is not falling.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 24,181 - 24,200 of31,000
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Oakwood Discussions

Search the Oakwood Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
looking for a text buddy (Nov '12) 7 min julian 39
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 17 min toomanymistakes 18,494
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 7 hr Pope Che Reagan Christ I 28,457
The White House has its eye on Dayton 9 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
Why can't we post photos any more? 19 hr The Hack Checker 1
17-year-old boy indicted for knock-out game Wed The Hack Checker 1
Family of robbery suspect says he was gullible Jul 5 The Duke of Hazard 6
•••
•••
•••
•••

Oakwood Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••