Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31925 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Just Watcing

Cleveland, OH

#23958 Mar 29, 2013
vacation wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say they get 21 days vacation?
I thought they only had 3.
My kids get 1 day for New Year, 1 Day for Martin Luther King Day, 1 day for President's Day, 6 days for Spring Break, 1 day for Memorial Day, 1 day for Labor Day, 3 days for Thanksgiving Day, 6 days at Christmas

There is probably one or two others that I did not count, but that is 20. How many get that many standard days off in the private sector?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23959 Mar 29, 2013
U should change ur major wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers work 185 days genius, that's what they are paid for. And this is the reason teachers need unions, people with Math Majors logic get elected to school boards and make major decisions for education.
Tell us when they start and when they finish, I don't know.

Most folks that I know who work full time work 250 days per year with a couple weeks off.
U should change ur major

Mason, OH

#23960 Mar 29, 2013
They start the first day of school and finish one day after the students are out. I thought you were smarter than that JW? If you want teachers and your children to work and go to school longer talk to your politicians, they are the ones who control that, not the teachers.
Question JW

Mason, OH

#23961 Mar 29, 2013
Just Watcing wrote:
<quoted text>
My kids get 1 day for New Year, 1 Day for Martin Luther King Day, 1 day for President's Day, 6 days for Spring Break, 1 day for Memorial Day, 1 day for Labor Day, 3 days for Thanksgiving Day, 6 days at Christmas
There is probably one or two others that I did not count, but that is 20. How many get that many standard days off in the private sector?
Teachers are only paid for days they are contracted for. They do not get paid for any of those days you mention nor do they get paid in the summer.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23962 Mar 30, 2013
U should change ur major wrote:
They start the first day of school and finish one day after the students are out. I thought you were smarter than that JW? If you want teachers and your children to work and go to school longer talk to your politicians, they are the ones who control that, not the teachers.
August..........3 days
September....19 days
October........22 days
November....19 days
December....14 days
January.........21 days
February......19 days
March..........16 days
April..........21 days
May..........21 days
Total..........175 days

175 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1268.75 hours of instruction per year

Paid Lunch 175 days x .5 hours per day = 87.5 hours of paid lunches

1268.75 - 87.5 = 1181.25 hours of instruction per year

Normal full time employment is 52 weeks x 40 hours per week = 2080 hours per year

How much do our teachers make per hour based on their hours of instruction per year?

$33,500 / 1181.25 =$28.36/hour of instruction

$48,000 / 1181.25 =$40.63/hour of instruction

$60,000 / 1181.25 =$50.79/hour of instruction

$75,000 / 1181.25 =$63.49/hour of instruction

How much would you make if you worked a full time job in the private sector at the same rates

$28.36 x 2080 =$58,988/year

$40.63 x 2080 =$84,510/year

$50.79 x 2080 =$105,643/year

$63.49 x 2080 =$132059/year

Living on food stamps? Underpaid? Not up to community standards?

I think not.
Get Real

Cincinnati, OH

#23963 Mar 30, 2013
Question JW wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers are only paid for days they are contracted for. They do not get paid for any of those days you mention nor do they get paid in the summer.
While many of us are working this week, often TWO part time jobs, meaning shifts scattered throughout the week and on weekends;
Aren't our Springboro teachers enjoying Spring break, Monday through Friday; and isn't their paychecks set up to receive payment throughout this week that they are on Spring break;
even though they do not come to the classroom?

Perhaps public school teachers would be compensated for their work more equally with the private sector, IF teachers were simply paid an hourly rate for each hour they are in the classroom? And why should teachers be PAID vacation for the holidays when school is closed, or be paid for spring and summer break, IF they are not in the classroom?
U should change ur major

Mason, OH

#23965 Mar 30, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
While many of us are working this week, often TWO part time jobs, meaning shifts scattered throughout the week and on weekends;
Aren't our Springboro teachers enjoying Spring break, Monday through Friday; and isn't their paychecks set up to receive payment throughout this week that they are on Spring break;
even though they do not come to the classroom?
Perhaps public school teachers would be compensated for their work more equally with the private sector, IF teachers were simply paid an hourly rate for each hour they are in the classroom? And why should teachers be PAID vacation for the holidays when school is closed, or be paid for spring and summer break, IF they are not in the classroom?
You have no CLUE. Teachers are paid an hourly rate and they are only paid for those hours. Do some research genius. Having their checks stretched out to cover 26 weeks is not a benefit.
Get Real

Cincinnati, OH

#23966 Mar 30, 2013
U should change ur major wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no CLUE. Teachers are paid an hourly rate and they are only paid for those hours. Do some research genius. Having their checks stretched out to cover 26 weeks is not a benefit.
Get Real and Get a Second Job, genius. That's what the rest of us do in the real world if we only get hired for 26 weeks!
Get Real

Cincinnati, OH

#23967 Mar 30, 2013
U should change ur major wrote:
<quoted text>
You have no CLUE. Teachers are paid an hourly rate and they are only paid for those hours. Do some research genius. Having their checks stretched out to cover 26 weeks is not a benefit.
It may be true that I have no CLUE.
But I have a job; and I am not bullying you to give me more of your money; Do you have a clue WHY teachers always whine that they are victims of their own choosing?
supportsea

Xenia, OH

#23968 Mar 30, 2013
I support the SEA in their negotiations!!
Anonymous

Xenia, OH

#23969 Mar 30, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Get Real and Get a Second Job, genius. That's what the rest of us do in the real world if we only get hired for 26 weeks!
You're crazy dude!
Just Watching

Lebanon, OH

#23970 Mar 30, 2013
August..........3 days
September....19 days
October........22 days
November....19 days
December....14 days
January.........21 days
February......19 days
March..........16 days
April..........21 days
May..........21 days
Total..........175 days

175 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1268.75 hours of instruction per year

Paid Lunch 175 days x .5 hours per day = 87.5 hours of paid lunches

1268.75 - 87.5 = 1181.25 hours of instruction per year

Normal full time employment is 52 weeks x 40 hours per week = 2080 hours per year

How much do our teachers make per hour based on their hours of instruction per year?

$33,500 / 1181.25 =$28.36/hour of instruction

$48,000 / 1181.25 =$40.63/hour of instruction

$60,000 / 1181.25 =$50.79/hour of instruction

$75,000 / 1181.25 =$63.49/hour of instruction

Food stamps? Underpaid? Not to community standards?

I think not
Just Watching

Lebanon, OH

#23971 Mar 30, 2013
How much would you make if you worked a full time job in the private sector at the same rates

$28.36 x 2080 =$58,988/year

$40.63 x 2080 =$84,510/year

$50.79 x 2080 =$105,643/year

$63.49 x 2080 =$132059/year
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23972 Mar 30, 2013
How much does a teacher make per hour?

$33,500/1181.5 hours per year teaching=$28.36
$48,000/1181.5 hours per year teaching=$40.63
$60,000/1181.5 hours per year teaching-$50.79
$75,000/1181.5 hours per year teaching=$63.49
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23973 Mar 31, 2013
August..........3 days
September....19 days
October........22 days
November....19 days
December....14 days
January.........21 days
February......19 days
March..........16 days
April..........21 days
May..........21 days
Total..........175 days

175 days x 7.25 hours per day = 1268.75 hours of instruction per year

Paid Lunch 175 days x .5 hours per day = 87.5 hours of paid lunches

1268.75 - 87.5 = 1181.25 hours of instruction per year

Normal full time employment is 52 weeks x 40 hours per week = 2080 hours per year

How much do our teachers make per hour based on their hours of instruction per year?

$33,500 / 1181.25 =$28.36/hour of instruction

$48,000 / 1181.25 =$40.63/hour of instruction

$60,000 / 1181.25 =$50.79/hour of instruction

$75,000 / 1181.25 =$63.49/hour of instruction

How much would you make if you worked a full time job in the private sector at the same rates

$28.36 x 2080 =$58,988/year

$40.63 x 2080 =$84,510/year

$50.79 x 2080 =$105,643/year

$63.49 x 2080 =$132059/year
Irish1158

Cincinnati, OH

#23974 Mar 31, 2013
Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
While many of us are working this week, often TWO part time jobs, meaning shifts scattered throughout the week and on weekends;
Aren't our Springboro teachers enjoying Spring break, Monday through Friday; and isn't their paychecks set up to receive payment throughout this week that they are on Spring break;
even though they do not come to the classroom?
Perhaps public school teachers would be compensated for their work more equally with the private sector, IF teachers were simply paid an hourly rate for each hour they are in the classroom? And why should teachers be PAID vacation for the holidays when school is closed, or be paid for spring and summer break, IF they are not in the classroom?
As a teacher on "vacation" I have spent everyday writing reports, planning for the 14 school days left till the OAA's, writing a story using sight words that the kids need to know by the end of the year. So, if you think all teachers go to Florida on vacation you don't really know for a fact what the teachers do during their "vacation" do you? Please don't generalize and put all teachers in the same category. Drive by the schools over the week-ends and 10 to 1, especially the elementary schools, you will see cars in the parking lot. We may only contractually have to be in the building for 7.25 hours but I don't know of many teachers who are not there at least 1/2 hour before and about 45 minutes later and then bring work home with them. Can't tell you the last time I watched a TV show. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize.
observer

Lebanon, OH

#23975 Mar 31, 2013
what happened to posts 23973, 23972, and 23970?

They were on how many hours the teacher's contrt dictated and how much that broke down in hourly wages.
One was a new teacher, one was $48K, one was $60K, and one was $75K. Pretty good hourly wage I would say.
Good Work

Cincinnati, OH

#23976 Mar 31, 2013
Irish1158 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a teacher on "vacation" I have spent everyday writing reports, planning for the 14 school days left till the OAA's, writing a story using sight words that the kids need to know by the end of the year. So, if you think all teachers go to Florida on vacation you don't really know for a fact what the teachers do during their "vacation" do you? Please don't generalize and put all teachers in the same category. Drive by the schools over the week-ends and 10 to 1, especially the elementary schools, you will see cars in the parking lot. We may only contractually have to be in the building for 7.25 hours but I don't know of many teachers who are not there at least 1/2 hour before and about 45 minutes later and then bring work home with them. Can't tell you the last time I watched a TV show. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize.
Please keep up the good work; A fair day's pay for a fair day's work. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize that ALL Springboro School district voters OWE the school district's union employees NEW MONEY for increased salaries and more benefits.

As parents (both working to earn money to support our household needs and pay our taxes), we would love the "workplace freedom" of taking our work "home" where our children are!
Get Real

Cincinnati, OH

#23977 Mar 31, 2013
45066sense wrote:
<quoted text>
You're crazy dude!
Ah-ha... there you go again, oh bully one of the union-indoctrination mind. Same old tactics to ridicule and silence any post on this blog with thoughts are not of the "collective union" severely misguided mind. Get yourself a job and stop your bullying for dollars!
Irish1158

Cincinnati, OH

#23979 Mar 31, 2013
Good Work wrote:
<quoted text>
Please keep up the good work; A fair day's pay for a fair day's work. So PLEASE DO NOT generalize that ALL Springboro School district voters OWE the school district's union employees NEW MONEY for increased salaries and more benefits.
As parents (both working to earn money to support our household needs and pay our taxes), we would love the "workplace freedom" of taking our work "home" where our children are!
I do take my work home where my children are.....and do their homework with them and help them become better citizens who understand that you would not be where you are today without teachers who cared enough about you, sometimes more than your own parents do, so you could be where you are today. Oh wait, perhaps you didn't have caring teachers and that is why you are the narrow minded bigot that you are today. Perhaps if Ohio would start funding schools the legal way they are supposed to we wouldn't be in the mess we are. We have been working on the same contract for 5 years so you have gotten a bang for your buck. We are still excellent with distinction, not because of you narrow-minded bigots but because we care period, end of statement.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oakwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
vote for trump 11 hr sameolddems 5
Join my Disadvantaged American Victims charity! 16 hr Loony Lib 3
Sec. of Defense Ash Carter is not among the sma... 16 hr The Old Cold Warrior 4
Lakewoods Apartments, 980 Wilmington Ave, ( BED... (Oct '12) Thu Bedbugz 937 10
Why Donald Trump is hated in Scotland... Thu Fan of Leon The Man 7
George Will and so-called "conservatives"... Thu Fan of Leon The Man 5
Boofuckinhoo! What will Trump and me and you do... Thu Fan of Leon The Man 7

Oakwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oakwood Mortgages