Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
179,101 - 179,120 of 200,336 Comments Last updated 56 min ago
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<Big D wrote:
NO I am talking about Vets because I happen to know quite a few, some married women that had cancer and had it removed that made them sterile. Or half a dozen other reasons they could not have children
I know to Kimare says they are just not married because they are sterile
Bullcrap, and I would like to introduce Kimare to these Vets who would have something to say to him.
Likely make him sterile if he kept belittling their marriages>

What say, sport? For you, I'd travel... I'll get a run out there, what do you say?
Semper Paratus, right Fascist D?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

well wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee thanks I think...why did you feel the need to insult others with this post?
Why do you and your little friends make jokes about the abuse of children, is it really funny to you?
Thanks for admitting you were wrong...
We all insult each other in here, it's the coin of the realm.
I make no jokes about the abuse of children, but I occasionally play into the morgue humor of this room. Like when Rose-NoHo told a poster to "go back to giving [your] children pearl necklaces"..no one called her on that, so, I figure "what the hell?"
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

well wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee thanks I think...why did you feel the need to insult others with this post?
Why do you and your little friends make jokes about the abuse of children, is it really funny to you?
Thanks for admitting you were wrong...
I almost forgot, You're welcome, and no-one else will admit to being wrong, but I am a little different.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah. My son was in Desert Storm. It wasn't easy. Rather have been there myself than worry about him. He was 18 a few months out of high school. He kicked ass and came home a man.
It was a little hot and dusty... Great place to work on a tan, though..
:-D
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell yeah!
I'm a little worried, but "What a tiger!"
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW, we're old enough we can stop calling it "my wee-wee" aren't we?
But are we old enough to know where it doesn't go, Stain Grrrrrl?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
VV explained why in a very long winded post. I dozed off halfway through and never did get the gist of it. Something about why should he since all SSM supporters are right whatever they say.
Yeah, I've sensed the reluctance to chide one of their own, like the example I keep referring to, Rose-Noho telling a poster to give their kids pearl necklaces. Not one of the sleazy b@st@rds told her "foul".
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
So that's:
Joanie is full of boloney? Yes, 4. No, 0. You'd think Jizzy or Big D would stick up for him. We know VV won't.
...Sounds about right...
laughing man

Pulaski, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Rocky Hudsony wrote:
<quoted text>
We all insult each other in here, it's the coin of the realm.
I make no jokes about the abuse of children, but I occasionally play into the morgue humor of this room. Like when Rose-NoHo told a poster to "go back to giving [your] children pearl necklaces"..no one called her on that, so, I figure "what the hell?"
Damn, did it really say that?

How Orwellian can they get?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice to see your true colors coming out Gustypants.
My sister, mother and aunt (mother's sister) all have had breast cancer. Mom is 97 and doing well, my aunt passed in her late 80s from an unrelated cause, and my sister is probably going to lose her battle with it one day as she's stage four. As a result of personal experiences, namely all the women in my immediate family (not there is a clue there about my cancer free self) have had breast cancer, I raise funds for the American Cancer Society. Apparently my balls are a bit larger than yours as I'm willing to take all the ribbing that comes with a man wearing a dress in order to raise a few bucks for a good cause. My wife's side of the family has seen their fair share of it too.
I'd raise funds for AIDs too, but I'm devoting my efforts to the American Cancer Society, the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, and a local camp for underprivileged children. I'm a bit skint after that.
Now don't you feel silly mocking good works?
BTW, that gay man inside your scared little self really wants to see me in a dress so he can whack off in the bathroom.
Speaking of good works...
"Hey, sailor, want a date?" LOL
:-D
Good for you.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I was surprised to see the "Oh yeah? You're gay!" schtick out of him too.
A little disappointing..
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Big D is a particularly nasty piece of work.
That's putting it mildly. I'd walk a mile just to k!ck him in the nuts...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you a veteran? Are you of an age that you could have gone to Vietnam? What about the Iraq or Afghanistan wars? You seem to fairly emotional about this. I'm just wondering if you are a veteran too?
Yes, I am. Not Viet Nam.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
All aspects of our society have not been friendly toward homosexuals up until quite recently.
Our affections for our boys in uniform go back to the thought of the military engaging in worthy battles for the general good of our nation. We've had many examples of this. Unfortunately they've also been sent to do battle in locations where our motives are justifiably suspicious. I don't hold our foot soldiers responsible for the mistakes of our leaders.
I will harbor no ill will to youth who enter a branch of the military for reasons I may or may not understand. Opportunity, necessity, patriotism, the desire to do something meaningful, avoid incarceration, etc. Any way you look at it, they're willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. The default position for me is to respect them unless they do something to lose that respect. A few do, most don't.
Iraq and Afghanistan vets may be getting the best treatment, but many still get neglected by the system. I would like to believe that all of us have learned something from the eventualities of engagements like Viet Nam. Unfortunately we've still got a bit of ground to cover.
Having one of them come home makes me smile to the core, whether I know them or not.
The wars that we have been involved in, since WWII, have been increasingly about America throwing her weight around. Viet Nam, it seems to me, was nothing more than a "weapons testing ground" that exacted a horrible toll on the youth of the time. I was younger, and more idealistic, than I am now, and see the "worthy battles" being replaced with global bullying. Wish I'd seen it earlier, but we have not been as altruistic as we once were. At one time, we were considered the "heros", but not anymore. As for the treatment of veterans, this country has not used the vitality and patriotism of the men and women well, nor have the men and women been treated well upon their return. The "Welcome Home" for the returnees from Desert Strom was a chance for the country to make good on the treatment that the VN vets were given. Not that such a stain could ever be erased. We've been used, as VV noted, to bully other countries, and the collateral damage that we've inflicted upon non-combatants has been shocking. The propaganda machines have been working overtime to justify some of our actions, and this mortifies me. However, the service has taken me places that I might not have gone to, and enabled me to do some pretty amazing things. All in all, I wish that our country was a better one, and that the global community had some respect and love for us, as they once did, instead of viewing us as the rich kids on the block, in need of dressing down. It'd be hard to sum up the experience of service, to any who haven't served, without posting an encylopedia. The next time you see a vet at the store, maybe offer to pay for his or her stuff, and thank them. They'll appreciate it more than words can express. We can't thank them enough.
The Judge

Covina, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Pope:'Who am I to judge' gay people?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what you think? Not I. Maybe your mama does. Ask her.
His post wasn't even worthy of a response.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't put a gun in my hands and go to war. For one, they didn't accept gay people in the military when I was of an age that they would take me. Furthermore, I think I've been pretty clear that I wouldn't put a gun in my hands, period.
I went to school and became a social worker. Please feel free to make jokes about it.
I have spent the better part of my adult life helping the sick, elderly, poor, and needy. And I'm damn good at it. I've waded into people's lives that were train wrecks--some of them veterans. I've made shit happen that no one else around me has been able to do.
Example... Early in my career, I worked in an ER. A man was brought in who had suffered a heart attack. He was admitted to the hospital and scheduled for quadruple bypass surgery. He was the primary breadwinner in his family of three. His wife was a waitress at Shoney's. His son was 14. They lived up in the mountains in a rented trailer. He worked in a factory that made souvenir pottery. He didn't have insurance. They were transplants from up north, so they didn't have family here.
He'd not been to a doctor in years. He couldn't afford it. He didn't know that he was diabetic. This was likely related to the heart attack he suffered.
In the week following his surgery, his blood sugars and blood pressure were out of control. He ended up having a stroke which left him totally blind in both eyes.
Needless to say, with his massive cardiac problems and new blindness, he would never work again.
Not sure if you know this, but getting someone their Social Security benefits can take a long time. And even though blindness puts you on a fast-track to getting your benefits, it can take months to get your income started.
In the meantime, his family had bills to pay. The electricity, gas to and from the hospital, food, rent, medicine that his wife took--all of these needs were piling up.
I got on the phone and called everybody--landlord, the utilities company, etc... I shamed our hospital into paying for a motel in Knoxville so that his wife could be close by. I called dozens of churches to get enough money together for food and medicine. For days, I spent hour after hour on the phone trying to meet this family's immediate needs. And every day I called Social Security--insisting that they move faster--get his application approved.
At the first of the month, his bastard of a landlord gave them a 30 day notice. They lived in a small community. There wasn't an eviction process that would allow them to appeal. They were seriously looking at being homeless.
It seemed like every day I saw these people a new nightmare sprung up.
Finally, I reached the end of my rope. I knew something had to be done.
In a moment of creativity, I thought, "This kind of shit happens to people all the time. I wonder if the newspaper would do a story about how easy it is to go from being independent to homeless due to illness?"
So, I called the local paper. They came out and did a story on this guy.
Within hours the floodgates opened. People were calling from all over to help this family. They wanted to send money, food, clothes; anything to help. The hospital established an account for donations. Within days we had raised over $10,000. And it was still pouring in. The most amazing gift was when a guy GAVE this family a house. It was a small place, but it was nice. It had been his mother's.
This happened around Christmas. After he went home, we kept on receiving gifts. The day before Christmas, two other social workers and myself loaded our three cars to the hilt and drove up to their new place.
I've done this kind of stuff hundreds of times over my career. Maybe I didn't go t war, but I think I've contributed to society. I've earned my rights.
I'll make no jokes, I'm sure that you are a good man, apart from what we say in here. That is a great story. Good for you. Doing what you did is no small accomplishment.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm probably busting Frankie's chops more than I should. I've never had the opportunity to speak to a veteran of war candidly. I've worked with plenty of them in my career. But I was usually involved with them in another capacity.
When I was a kid, my dad used to take me hunting. He would kill squirrel, rabbits, quail... And every time he killed something I cried. I hated the sound of the gun. And I hated that something died. I'm sure it embarrassed him, especially when we were hunting with his friends.
As I grew up and learned more about being a Christian, I could never understand why people fought wars, killing one another; even though killing is a sin.
So, the idea of killing to me is so foreign; I just can't wrap my mind around it. I'm not above protecting myself from physical harm. But I've never bought a gun. I think I said this before; my grandfather's gun is in my possession; a graduation gift from my dad. But it's been dismantled since I got it nearly 25 years ago.
I understand that people do feel compelled by many different reasons to join the military. And I guess I can feel a certain degree of empathy for them; especially those kids who go in order to meet some need (like finances) in their lives. And to be drafted--that would be tough. We're so engrained to believe that if you're drafted, you go; no questions asked. And if you don't go, you've done the worst possible thing an American can do.
But if you know that going into the military you are going to face another human being--someone with kids, a promising future, hopes and dreams--and try to kill him or her; I don't understand how a person can do that.
Look at the Nazis... Were they being patriotic by following their German leaders as they rounded up the Jews, gays, prisoners, gypsies, etc. and murdered them by the millions? From our perspective it would seem like a no-brainer that you simply do not do such things.
But there was a period in our history where we--U.S. citizens--rounded up Native Americans and did pretty much the same thing. Then there was slavery. People here and around the world thought we were barbarians for doing these things. But we did them.
Frankie's right... I do get off on tangents sometimes (not always).
But somehow it fits with this discussion.
Does a wounded veteran--someone who is unable to have children--have more rights to marry than someone who is gay; especially if the argument being thrown around is that gays shouldn't be able to marry because they are "sterile", as "Kimare the Stain" likes to say?
I think that's how we started this conversation...
Something we have in common. To this day, I won't hunt. Life IS precious.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to feel like the bond they have with friends is more "special".
Thy don't have the "I'm married and you cant be" way to feel "special" anymore so they have to fall back on a different one.
Why don't you just dry up?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 2, 2013

Judged:

lides wrote:
<quoted text>
100% of the time, eh?
Why is it that marriage equality keeps on winning in the courts, and even in public referendums?
Could it be that your "statistic" has no basis in fact or even reality?
Because your polls are lies. Reality is a little different. Subversion and infiltration are the name of the game. You've been told before.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oakdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••