Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 200,980

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206553 Aug 2, 2013
sheesh wrote:
<quoted text>
All aspects of our society have not been friendly toward homosexuals up until quite recently.
Our affections for our boys in uniform go back to the thought of the military engaging in worthy battles for the general good of our nation. We've had many examples of this. Unfortunately they've also been sent to do battle in locations where our motives are justifiably suspicious. I don't hold our foot soldiers responsible for the mistakes of our leaders.
I will harbor no ill will to youth who enter a branch of the military for reasons I may or may not understand. Opportunity, necessity, patriotism, the desire to do something meaningful, avoid incarceration, etc. Any way you look at it, they're willing to make the ultimate sacrifice. The default position for me is to respect them unless they do something to lose that respect. A few do, most don't.
Iraq and Afghanistan vets may be getting the best treatment, but many still get neglected by the system. I would like to believe that all of us have learned something from the eventualities of engagements like Viet Nam. Unfortunately we've still got a bit of ground to cover.
Having one of them come home makes me smile to the core, whether I know them or not.
The wars that we have been involved in, since WWII, have been increasingly about America throwing her weight around. Viet Nam, it seems to me, was nothing more than a "weapons testing ground" that exacted a horrible toll on the youth of the time. I was younger, and more idealistic, than I am now, and see the "worthy battles" being replaced with global bullying. Wish I'd seen it earlier, but we have not been as altruistic as we once were. At one time, we were considered the "heros", but not anymore. As for the treatment of veterans, this country has not used the vitality and patriotism of the men and women well, nor have the men and women been treated well upon their return. The "Welcome Home" for the returnees from Desert Strom was a chance for the country to make good on the treatment that the VN vets were given. Not that such a stain could ever be erased. We've been used, as VV noted, to bully other countries, and the collateral damage that we've inflicted upon non-combatants has been shocking. The propaganda machines have been working overtime to justify some of our actions, and this mortifies me. However, the service has taken me places that I might not have gone to, and enabled me to do some pretty amazing things. All in all, I wish that our country was a better one, and that the global community had some respect and love for us, as they once did, instead of viewing us as the rich kids on the block, in need of dressing down. It'd be hard to sum up the experience of service, to any who haven't served, without posting an encylopedia. The next time you see a vet at the store, maybe offer to pay for his or her stuff, and thank them. They'll appreciate it more than words can express. We can't thank them enough.
The Judge

Monrovia, CA

#206554 Aug 2, 2013
Pope:'Who am I to judge' gay people?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206555 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Who cares what you think? Not I. Maybe your mama does. Ask her.
His post wasn't even worthy of a response.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206556 Aug 2, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't put a gun in my hands and go to war. For one, they didn't accept gay people in the military when I was of an age that they would take me. Furthermore, I think I've been pretty clear that I wouldn't put a gun in my hands, period.
I went to school and became a social worker. Please feel free to make jokes about it.
I have spent the better part of my adult life helping the sick, elderly, poor, and needy. And I'm damn good at it. I've waded into people's lives that were train wrecks--some of them veterans. I've made shit happen that no one else around me has been able to do.
Example... Early in my career, I worked in an ER. A man was brought in who had suffered a heart attack. He was admitted to the hospital and scheduled for quadruple bypass surgery. He was the primary breadwinner in his family of three. His wife was a waitress at Shoney's. His son was 14. They lived up in the mountains in a rented trailer. He worked in a factory that made souvenir pottery. He didn't have insurance. They were transplants from up north, so they didn't have family here.
He'd not been to a doctor in years. He couldn't afford it. He didn't know that he was diabetic. This was likely related to the heart attack he suffered.
In the week following his surgery, his blood sugars and blood pressure were out of control. He ended up having a stroke which left him totally blind in both eyes.
Needless to say, with his massive cardiac problems and new blindness, he would never work again.
Not sure if you know this, but getting someone their Social Security benefits can take a long time. And even though blindness puts you on a fast-track to getting your benefits, it can take months to get your income started.
In the meantime, his family had bills to pay. The electricity, gas to and from the hospital, food, rent, medicine that his wife took--all of these needs were piling up.
I got on the phone and called everybody--landlord, the utilities company, etc... I shamed our hospital into paying for a motel in Knoxville so that his wife could be close by. I called dozens of churches to get enough money together for food and medicine. For days, I spent hour after hour on the phone trying to meet this family's immediate needs. And every day I called Social Security--insisting that they move faster--get his application approved.
At the first of the month, his bastard of a landlord gave them a 30 day notice. They lived in a small community. There wasn't an eviction process that would allow them to appeal. They were seriously looking at being homeless.
It seemed like every day I saw these people a new nightmare sprung up.
Finally, I reached the end of my rope. I knew something had to be done.
In a moment of creativity, I thought, "This kind of shit happens to people all the time. I wonder if the newspaper would do a story about how easy it is to go from being independent to homeless due to illness?"
So, I called the local paper. They came out and did a story on this guy.
Within hours the floodgates opened. People were calling from all over to help this family. They wanted to send money, food, clothes; anything to help. The hospital established an account for donations. Within days we had raised over $10,000. And it was still pouring in. The most amazing gift was when a guy GAVE this family a house. It was a small place, but it was nice. It had been his mother's.
This happened around Christmas. After he went home, we kept on receiving gifts. The day before Christmas, two other social workers and myself loaded our three cars to the hilt and drove up to their new place.
I've done this kind of stuff hundreds of times over my career. Maybe I didn't go t war, but I think I've contributed to society. I've earned my rights.
I'll make no jokes, I'm sure that you are a good man, apart from what we say in here. That is a great story. Good for you. Doing what you did is no small accomplishment.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206558 Aug 2, 2013
veryvermilion wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm probably busting Frankie's chops more than I should. I've never had the opportunity to speak to a veteran of war candidly. I've worked with plenty of them in my career. But I was usually involved with them in another capacity.
When I was a kid, my dad used to take me hunting. He would kill squirrel, rabbits, quail... And every time he killed something I cried. I hated the sound of the gun. And I hated that something died. I'm sure it embarrassed him, especially when we were hunting with his friends.
As I grew up and learned more about being a Christian, I could never understand why people fought wars, killing one another; even though killing is a sin.
So, the idea of killing to me is so foreign; I just can't wrap my mind around it. I'm not above protecting myself from physical harm. But I've never bought a gun. I think I said this before; my grandfather's gun is in my possession; a graduation gift from my dad. But it's been dismantled since I got it nearly 25 years ago.
I understand that people do feel compelled by many different reasons to join the military. And I guess I can feel a certain degree of empathy for them; especially those kids who go in order to meet some need (like finances) in their lives. And to be drafted--that would be tough. We're so engrained to believe that if you're drafted, you go; no questions asked. And if you don't go, you've done the worst possible thing an American can do.
But if you know that going into the military you are going to face another human being--someone with kids, a promising future, hopes and dreams--and try to kill him or her; I don't understand how a person can do that.
Look at the Nazis... Were they being patriotic by following their German leaders as they rounded up the Jews, gays, prisoners, gypsies, etc. and murdered them by the millions? From our perspective it would seem like a no-brainer that you simply do not do such things.
But there was a period in our history where we--U.S. citizens--rounded up Native Americans and did pretty much the same thing. Then there was slavery. People here and around the world thought we were barbarians for doing these things. But we did them.
Frankie's right... I do get off on tangents sometimes (not always).
But somehow it fits with this discussion.
Does a wounded veteran--someone who is unable to have children--have more rights to marry than someone who is gay; especially if the argument being thrown around is that gays shouldn't be able to marry because they are "sterile", as "Kimare the Stain" likes to say?
I think that's how we started this conversation...
Something we have in common. To this day, I won't hunt. Life IS precious.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206559 Aug 2, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
They need to feel like the bond they have with friends is more "special".
Thy don't have the "I'm married and you cant be" way to feel "special" anymore so they have to fall back on a different one.
Why don't you just dry up?
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206560 Aug 2, 2013
lides wrote:
<quoted text>
100% of the time, eh?
Why is it that marriage equality keeps on winning in the courts, and even in public referendums?
Could it be that your "statistic" has no basis in fact or even reality?
Because your polls are lies. Reality is a little different. Subversion and infiltration are the name of the game. You've been told before.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206561 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
What a lame disrespectful post. "They" includes you moron. Unless you are lying about your service. Which wouldn't surprise us at all.
He claims to have been a Coastie. At home while the battles were elsewhere. Rear with the gear. IF he even served, which I doubt. Just a REMF, at best...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206562 Aug 2, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
It was an intentional oxymoron, asstroll. Geez you guys are stupid.
A "cleverly constructe trap", eh? Your intellect is truly.......baffling.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206563 Aug 2, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Better to have intention than just being one, like you. Calm down fruit loops, you weren't even being addressed.
No, you were. By Laughing Man and Frank, who showed you your ass.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206564 Aug 2, 2013
laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but he slapped you around all the same, stain boi.
Woot! High Five!!
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206565 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Anyone have any good Jizzy jokes? Here's one-
Jizzy is such a moron he went to a gun fight and got stabbed.
Funny!
You forgot the punch line:
Then, he pulled his pants up...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206566 Aug 2, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Oooh did he really? Funny I haven't read anything intellectual from him. But you were stomped to a bloody pulp pappy, gonna cry about it? Or depend on your little troll friends to help you? BTW the only 'stain' on here is you skid mark.
You just got 2 pink palm-prints, delivered to either cheek.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206567 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Mikey calls airport. "How long does it take to fly to London?"
"Just a sec," said the rep.
"Thank you." Mikey said and hung up.
Damn, son, you're on a [role] today...
:-D
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206568 Aug 2, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
#1 Because I am an American, I actually believe in the land of the free and the home of the brave, I am against an intrusive government that tells you who you can marry and who you cannot. I defend Americans, regardless of race, creed, color, sex, religion, orientation or national origin.
#2 The common man is not you, a growing majority of people in the US are in favor of same sex marriage, businesses are rejecting people that are homophobic and will not tolerate it in the workplace.
#3 explained in #2, you are the one not accepted, except at Chick a Fill ( chuckle )
Shuddup, you lying Fascist coward.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206569 Aug 2, 2013
POOF wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi, just want to say a few things. War, good or bad is and will be part of mankind. I think that you need to understand a few things. Freedom is not free. In 1776, a war was needed to become the Nation that we have strived for. Many times through out our History, war has been a turning point. The War of 1812, the Civil war, WW1, WW2.
I will conseded that often we act as the worlds police force. That is not the problem of the men and women who serve for our country. That needs to be addressed with Congress and The President. Please don't disrespect the very people who choose to protect your freedom.
Rocky approves of this message.
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206570 Aug 2, 2013
Mikey wrote:
<quoted text>
Somebody has to speak out against your's and the trailer trash's hubris, might as well be me.
Rocky does NOT approve of this message.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#206571 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Aw shucks. No problem. It's fun!
I'll bet...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206572 Aug 2, 2013
Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
You're accepted at Starbucks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =cn2QcpyYjewXX
Now, THAT was funny.$7 for that ...
Rocky Hudsony

Wooster, OH

#206573 Aug 2, 2013
laughing man wrote:
<quoted text>
Nowhere in that flag waving,(or was it script reading?) did you mention Folsom Street and How Berkeley can YOU be and the other decadence that goes on at "pride" parades, etc.
And you're damned straight the Common Man is not me. I pride myself in logic and recognizing there are consequences for our actions, which you apparently haven't a frickin' clue. You wanna leave such a world as Folsom Street for your descendents, shitferbrains?
Your third little attempt at humor proves you're only schoolgirl age. You don't have any family. You're just here because you're a decadent imbecile.
Setting the fool STRAIGHT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oakdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 40 min Flaggstaff 5,083
Pet Vet: Fleas become resistant to typical trea... 2 hr Seth Ashford 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 9 hr surfboards 7,957
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sun theos 2,276
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Sep 18 Pizza 16,000
OAKDALE (NWO) FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMP being bui... (Nov '08) Sep 16 🙈🙈 99
michael walker? Sep 15 meh 1
•••
•••

Oakdale Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Oakdale News, Events & Info