Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments (Page 8,071)

Showing posts 161,401 - 161,420 of200,201
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
If you people would simply read the Loving v Virginia decision you MIGHT, and I say might because many of you aren't that bright, understand why this decision has NOTHING to do with the current issue.
Loving V Virginia dealt with racial discrimination. The court was clear as to why it came to the decision it did.
" The clear and central purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment was to eliminate all official state sources of invidious racial discrimination in the States."- Loving v Virginia
tehn you might explain that to the attornies arguing the cases before the judges then. it was referenced even in SCOTUS yesterday.

Since: Nov 12

Wilton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I would add a few more
Blue eyed people
Brown eyed people
Other eyed people
People over 5'10"
People under 5'11"
People with Blond hair ( natural only, artificially coloring does not apply )
People with brown hair
People with grey hair
People with Red hair
and then have a policeman standing by to make sure everyone uses the right drinking fountain.
that will make the point
Yes you did explain yourself just fine. Add in it was the evil white race that killed the natives and started wars.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Mkay.......... wacko. Who is calling for sending bigots to re-education camps? Is it the same boogey man that you use for every other excuse... this nebulous, un-named liberal?
Are those re-education camps anything like Faux news and learning history in Sunday school? ;)
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

RiccardoFire wrote:
<quoted text>Yes you did explain yourself just fine. Add in it was the evil white race that killed the natives and started wars.
No.. all I was pointing out is how silly separate drinking fountains were... you have a problem with that too? I knew you were a bigot toward homosexuals, I didnít assume you were a racist as well.

Could be my fault I prefer to assume the best of people
Tom Pappas

Irvine, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

You phaggets are not going to get your wish. Sorry.

You'll still have to gulp male loads and scissor other bitches behind closed doors.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>Much more nefarious, I'm sure.
It always shocks me that is exactly how uninformed people are here, Sunday School versions of history and Faux news commentary for misinformation on current issues.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

From what I am seeing today, it looks like DOMA is going away.:)

We will find out in a couple of months

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. Never been a problem.
If ss friendships deserve those benefits without ever being capable of mutual procreation and it's special needs, then legally EVERYONE deserves them.
Apparently you think two men need the protection and provision that women and children do... Man up VV, man up!!!
So let me get this clear...

You're saying that sterile couples, elderly couples, and couples who will never have children SHOULD NOT get tax breaks and other tax benefits that families with children currently get?

You do understand that the woman suing against the federal government's Defense of Marriage Act is basing her case on the fact that she has had to pay over $300,000 in inheritance taxes don't you?

And based on what your posting seems to be saying, then no couple who doesn't have children (including you, since your children no longer live in your home) should be able to receive property from their spouse after a death without paying taxes. So if you die and your have a piece of property in your name or have an item that isn't considered joint property, then your wife would have to pay taxes on that property. And you're OK with that?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
From what I am seeing today, it looks like DOMA is going away.:)
We will find out in a couple of months
do you have a link to the transcripts? have they been loaded for viewing as yet?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
In my town, there are two public drinking fountains. One says "whites only", the other says "non-caucasians". The fountains are the same, the water is the same. Only the label is different.
Orrrrrr....In my town there are two rest rooms, one for men, one for women. Neither one restricts on the basis or orientation. Just like marriage, single union of one male plus one female, no restriction on orientation.
WinstonSmithAKAs heesh

Springfield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

akpilot wrote:
<quoted text>
Not far from true.
Lincoln quotes you never saw in the history books:
""I will say then that I am not, nor ever have been in favor of bringing about in anyway the social and political equality of the white and black races - that I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race. I say upon this occasion I do not perceive that because the white man is to have the superior position the negro should be denied everything."
"My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause."
"Do the people of the south really entertain fears that a Republican administration would, directly or indirectly, interfere with their slaves, or with them, about their slaves? If they do, I wish to assure you, as once a friend, and still, I hope, not an enemy, there is no cause for such fears."- Letter to Alexander Stephens
Other little Lincoln tid-bits you didn't hear about in school:
- July 1861- General Freeman declares martial law in Missouri, declares all slaves held by owners whom oppose the Union are free. Lincoln cancels the order. As a result Congress passes the Confiscation Act.
-May 1862, General David Hunter issued an order declaring all slaves in Georgia, Florida and South Carolina to be free. Lincoln again revokes the order. Congress again responds by passing the SECOND Confiscation Act.
They also won't tell you that Lincoln felt that the freed slaves should be COLONIZED elsewhere. Yup, he was looking to send the black out of the US. Congress even passed a bill to spend $100,000 to :
"to be expended under the direction of the President of the United States, to aid in the colonization and settlement of such free persons of African descent now residing in said District, including those to be liberated by this act, as may desire to emigrate to the Republic of Haiti or Liberia, or such other country beyond the limits of the United States as the President may determine."
Yeah, Lincoln the "great emancipator".
Any idea what we can make out of the peanuts & lemons we're getting?
heartandmind

Moline, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Orrrrrr....In my town there are two rest rooms, one for men, one for women. Neither one restricts on the basis or orientation. Just like marriage, single union of one male plus one female, no restriction on orientation.
no, pietro.

try reading the Prop 8 SCOTUS transcripts - they deal with homosexuals not being allowed to marry because they're same sex. and so far, it's not looking good for you side, buddy.

good luck.
It Is a Conspiracy

Anonymous Proxy

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Logical actually. If one does not believe in the orthodoxy of the left, in this case, SSM, one must be sent to a "reeducation camp" as has been established in the past by leftist, often communist regimes. There the non believers are "reeducated". So gay people who disagree with redefining marriage for the same reason(s) that some straight people do, marriage is about husband and wife and by extension their children, should be sent to "reeducation camps" to correct their thinking. After all any gay person who opposes SSM is automatically a traitor to the cause, self loathed, and/or ignorant.
<quoted text>
What's that comrade, some are more equal than others?
<quoted text>
Sparkle
<quoted text>
Oh but of course.....it's always the other side that's not tolerant.
If some people, straight or gay, get married for companionship or money, which happens all the time, then should they not be allowed to get married?

Can you point to any reputable social scientist who opines that gay parenting is somehow harmful to children? I think not.

Since: Dec 09

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Pietro Armando wrote:
<quoted text>
Sexual intercourse, aka coitus. Serious VV, both genders are needed for that. Legal ssm doesn't suddenly change the meaning of such words.
<quoted text>
Are both genders listed on the license?'Nuff said.
<quoted text>
Do I need to be crudely explicit here and speculate as to what ss sexual act, male and female, would substitute for coitus?
<quoted text>
Did your Dad ever have "the talk" with you? If he had, I doubt you'd make a statement like that.
<quoted text>
I never said it would. Don't start acting like Big D, and claim I did. We've had a respectual discussion and debate here VV, capeesh!?
1.) First off you try to equate the terms "sexual intercourse" and "coitus". They are not the same words.
"Sexual intercourse" takes place between two people of any gender. Do you deny that same-gender couples have sexual intercourse? I don't think you do.
"Coitus" very specifically refers to the "sexual union between a male and a female involving insertion of the penis into the vagina." (from the on line dictionary "Farflex" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coitus ).
You may think I'm splitting hairs. But it's important for you to understand that there is a very distinct difference.

2.) Marriage licenses in states that recognize same-gender marriage have removed gender and replaced it with "person" or "applicant".

3.) You don't have to explain all of the various sexual acts. We're all adults.

4.) I'm in no way trying to be disrespectful. I just wanted to paint the picture of the police busting down a couple's door and forcing them into divorce court, because word had gotten out that they had never consummated their marriage.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
no, pietro.
try reading the Prop 8 SCOTUS transcripts - they deal with homosexuals not being allowed to marry because they're same sex. and so far, it's not looking good for you side, buddy.
good luck.
From what I have seen so far today, I donít see how DOMA can survive this

it wonít shock me if they do the same thing with Prop 8, determine there is no standing to bring action to attack the appeal.

That would mean both DOMA and Prop 8 would be defeated

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Well Brian, you seem to avoid conversations. Is it because you really have no ability to debate?
Here's a post you didn't/couldn't respond to:

For the love of pete, Brian, I have never had a conversation with someone that was more exasperating than one with you. I asked you to explain yourself and all you do is repeat the same statements with absolutely no supporting argument. You don't seem capable of elaborating on anything with any degreeof intelligence.
You keep mentioning gender apartheid and segregation look up the definition of things before you use them:
gender apartheid (also called sex apartheid) is economic and social sexual discrimination against women, including strict sex segregation, as well as an "absence of justice for women in much of the non-Western world." Practices deemed instances of gender apartheid include the legal killing of wives for adultery in Syria and Haiti, wife beating in Nigeria, women needing their husband's consent for divorce in Israel, and legal kidnapping and marriage of women in Guatemala and Lebanon. Aspects of the treatment of women under fundamentalist Islam, Christianity, Judaism and Buddhism have also been described as gender apartheid.
segregation: the separation or isolation of a race, class, or ethnic group by enforced or voluntary residence in a restricted area, by barriers to social intercourse, by separate educational facilities, or by other discriminatory means
Now, one last time, try explaining just what it is youíre trying to claim instead of just repeating yourself. No group is being isolated. In fact one group is asking for inclusion and people like you insist on the continued isolation of them. If anyone is promoting apartheid it is you.

~~~~~~~~~~

While you're avoiding a response to that perhaps you can avoid a response to this...

If same sex marriage leads to all these destructive things why wouldn't same sex unions lead to them? Why no forced same sex unions in prison? Why no gender apartheid? Whatever it is you mean by that. Why no segregation?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Mkay.......... wacko. Who is calling for sending bigots to re-education camps? Is it the same boogey man that you use for every other excuse... this nebulous, un-named liberal?
So are you saying that gay people who disagree with legally redefining marriage for the same reason straight people do are "bigots"......nice. That must be from the Al Sharpton school of political activism.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

heartandmind wrote:
<quoted text>
no, pietro.
good luck.
Actually homosexuals can marry in every state in the union, and have their marriage valid in all fifty states. What is being asked is that marriage redefined, from a legally recognized exclusive union of husband AND wife, to one of "spouses for life, regardless of gender composition".

“Vita e' Bella.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

It Is a Conspiracy wrote:
<quoted text>
If some people, straight or gay, get married for companionship or money, which happens all the time, then should they not be allowed to get married?
if a man and a woman, one straight one gay/bi marry for the same reasons you posted, should they be allowed to marry?
Can you point to any reputable social scientist who opines that gay parenting is somehow harmful to children? I think not.
Can you point to any reputable social scientist who opines children should not be raised by THEIR OWN married biological mother and father in a stable home?
Randy -Rock- Hudson

Wooster, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 27, 2013

Judged:

endocannabanoid system wrote:
<quoted text>
you bigots havn't ever succeeded in presenting a rational arguement as to WHY you think homosexuality is wrong...
the rest of us DO NOT think of it as WRONG....but simply as a preference, and a civil rights issue.
you claimimg some sort of moral high ground, with your bigotry is laughable!!!
I appreciate your attempt to obfuscate here, but....never said homosexuality was wrong. Did say it wasn't a proper relationship upon which which to bestow the title of "Marriage". Thank you for clouding the issue, but it was unnecessary, and set straight.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 161,401 - 161,420 of200,201
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oakdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••