Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 Full story: www.cnn.com 201,186

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Full Story
Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183427 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you don't force your ideas on gay marriage on my beliefs of traditional marriage and those who see marriage as historical & traditional form of union between a man and woman.
No one is forcing tyranny on you, but you are forcing others to change their views to fit yours. If all it is to you is a piece of paper, why not go to these other cultures and get married, why seek to do it with in the government ?
Because its not about wanting to prove your love legally it's about insurance and other types of benefits.
This is the land of the free, you are free to get married in any form you want, but you cannot change the governments views or the majority of the peoples views and we are free to vote that the traditional and historic view of marriage stay the way it is without you forcing your views on us.
That's why your view of marriage was voted out. Yet you want to bypass the will of the people and use liberal gay judges with bias to change the vote.
Now that is tyranny, the few forcing the majority to conform to their views and way of thinking, forcing their version of political correctness. You think if you yell loud enough you can throw out the votes of the majority!
The will of the majority? 3 states,Washington,Maryland and Maine! But the bottom line and the fact remains that a majority cannot vote away the rights of any minority,especially in the case of California where gays had the right to marry(over 18,000)and it was then taken away unjustly and thus,Prop 8 was ruled Unconstitutional not once but twice! And come this June the Supreme court will make marriage equality the law of the land and they will also strike down DOMA as Unconstitutional! I know lets take a popular vote and vote away a couple of your rights,I suppose you think that just too? NO,you'd be on here protesting that it is Unconstitutional to do,just like the gays are! Oh and don't forget,gays are tax paying citizens supplementing your marriage rights while at the same time being denied those very same rights that you enjoy! That's just plain wrong and when DOMA falls will be rectified! Glad I could help!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#183429 Mar 15, 2013
Wring is in the air wrote:
<quoted text>
Marriage is an institution that developed to bring straight couples together so they can then be intimate and bear offspring not out of wedlock. With partners who make a lifelong commitment to them and their potential offspring. Having young girls going around making babies without a male partner for financial and moral support is chaos. Just look at the inner ditties where up to 70% of the children born with in the minority communities are born out of wedlock, then end up on government support. Marriage did not come out of existence for same sex people to get together for life. There would be no need for this commitment.
Zzzz...
When you get to the topic of gay marriage, let us know.
Wring is in the air wrote:
And they gay movement to have marriage arouse so that their partners could be claimed on their medical insurance and such. It had nothing to do with love but a need to be able to get medical treatments and benefits.
If that was all they wanted, they could just marry a friend of the opposite sex...
Duh.
Wring is in the air wrote:
The fact is gay partnership is not the same as straight partnership. Couple get married yes because they are in love, but straight couples are getting basically a certificate to bear children without being labeled illegitimate.
Many straight couples marry who have neither the desire nor ability to spawn. This is a non issue when it comes to allowing people to marry.
Wring is in the air wrote:
There is no need for such a certificate or licensee for gay couples and there never will be. Straight couple don't want to be accused of living together in sin,
LOL! And here I was, thinking were were living in the 21st Century. My bad.
Wring is in the air wrote:
meaning having sex without the consent of parents or their church, in case the woman was to get pregnant then have an illegitimate child out of wedlock.
LOL! Come on. Hey, father, can I bang my man?
Wring is in the air wrote:
A gay couple can never bear children of their partners DNA. They may bear illegitimate children, but a marriage license with their gay partner will never fix that status married or not. Fact is that a child will be the biological child of a person they did not marry!
Even adoption by a second husband of a straight couple will not make a child legitimate if that child's mother was not married to the biological father.
Gays can adopt, and they can marry, but all that gets them is a piece of paper, it does not help their child to establish legitimacy only the biological parents marriage before they were conceived can do that. This is why marriage ceremonies and traditions came to be. It has nothing to do with gays and their wanting legal avenues to benefits given to married straight couples. It's the insurance policies they need to change not the marriage institution.
Poe's Law...
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183431 Mar 15, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, D, we are not forcing our views upon you, we are telling you that your ideas do not fit the mold. Your side is forcing its views upon the rest of us, and forcing us, the majority of taxpayers, to witness the diversion of our majority of funds, to go toward supporting an already stipulated minority.
Yes you are, you are working to force Same Sex couples to not be married even though over 100,000 other same sex couples in this country already are married.

No one is trying for force anything on you, why are you denying them?

What if it was you, what if this was coalition to deny some right of yours? That others like you have?
Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183432 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
I have never seen the government step in and deny any gay couple from getting married in and church or venue of their choice, by any one they choose, in any faith they choose. Their human right to get married are NOT being denied. They are just NOT LEGALLY recognized in the traditional form of marriage between a man and a woman, as is also the same view of the majority of Americans. Trying to beat others over their heads with your beliefs will not make it true, and trying to devalue the votes and beliefs of others because you don't like it is not equality, you are then stepping on my rights to vote and make that vote count! That is tyranny of the few to overthrow the rights of the many! Standing up for what is the value of society at this point in time is not bigotry!
Well then,I guess you haven't seen the all the latest national polls which are in fact now in favor of marriage equality by 52%! And how about reading the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and get back to us! You simply represent the tyranny of the majority and think that your personal beliefs should be able to circumvent the rights afforded us all in the Constitution and Bill of rights!

The Constitutional reasons why Prop 8 and other bans on marriage equality are in fact Unconstitutional!

www.afer.org/our-work/our-arguments

The summery of the Iowa Supreme court decision overturning the ban in that state and why the ban was in fact Unconstitutional!

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/D... (read the section entitled"Equal protection clause"
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183433 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are confused. You can get married and may gays do in their own ceremonies, its just not recognized in the traditional form of marriage between a man and woman legally. No one is stopping you from getting married. True values and views change as did the right to vote for women, but you are not being denied the right to vote or being forced to be a salve to anyone, but you/gays are trying to bypass what Americans views are of traditional marriage in this point and time in history and bypass their right to cast a vote and have it count. And no where has producing children ever been a requirement for for straight couples to get married nor is it for you!
Big D you are projecting your own views and political view of correctness on a society who's majority says NO gay marriage is not a legal form of traditional marriage! You want freedom but yet you want to beat the majority of Americas over their heads with four version of freedom! We all voted No, obviously this view has not changed in this point in time so for now we the people say NO!
You seem to be behind the times, we now have 10 states where same sex marriage is already recognized, and one district, and another state that recognizes same sex marriages performed in other states.

Not only are they having the "ceremonies" be it in churches that promote it, or by a justice of the peace, they are indeed legally married in the eyes of the law.

I don’t give a darn about tradition, traditionally Christians were murdered for sport and entertainment, women were denied the vote, black people were slaves.

Just because something is a tradition does not mean it is a good thing.

I am projecting the swiftly gaining majority view.

The real question is why do you want so badly to deny rights to other Americans? I thought this was the land of the free. What harm is their happiness doing to you?

There are 18,000 legally married same sex couples in California, it certainly has not harmed my heterosexual marriage in any way at all, how has it harmed yours?

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183436 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you don't force your ideas on gay marriage on my beliefs of traditional marriage and those who see marriage as historical & traditional form of union between a man and woman.
No one is forcing tyranny on you, but you are forcing others to change their views to fit yours. If all it is to you is a piece of paper, why not go to these other cultures and get married, why seek to do it with in the government ?
Because its not about wanting to prove your love legally it's about insurance and other types of benefits.
This is the land of the free, you are free to get married in any form you want, but you cannot change the governments views or the majority of the peoples views and we are free to vote that the traditional and historic view of marriage stay the way it is without you forcing your views on us.
That's why your view of marriage was voted out. Yet you want to bypass the will of the people and use liberal gay judges with bias to change the vote.
Now that is tyranny, the few forcing the majority to conform to their views and way of thinking, forcing their version of political correctness. You think if you yell loud enough you can throw out the votes of the majority!
A breath of fresh air has just come in. Welcome.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#183437 Mar 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
In history Christians were murdered for fun and entertainment,
In history black people here were slaves
For a majority of our history women were denied the vote
Just because something was true a long time ago, doesn’t mean it should still be that way.
There is no link between the legal right to marry and procreation, I don’t care of you say it or some politician says it, it is still dead wrong.
You cannot force people to have children, you cannot deny people the right to marry based on if they can have children, the law does not automatically break apart any marriages based upon if they had children or not.
We have been over this already, it already failed in court and you have already failed here. Procreation is NOT and has NEVER been a requirement to get or be married.
Great post.
The simple fact is, you don't have to be able to procreate in order to marry. It's a non issue.
People will continue to procreate because doing so is a possible result of having sex. Gay marriage won't change this.
Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183438 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
Where does it say anything about gays in the constitution? Funny how your poll doesn't add up to how many voted against gay marriage being a legal status!
Hey OH great ignorant one the Constitution does NOT have to list gays! Gays are full citizens entitled to the very same rights as you do and our therefore covered the same as you in the Constitution! Try again,epic fail! Your personal moral beliefs are not nor have they ever been part of "Secular" society! Constitution trumps the bible and your personal morals! You are simply a one trick pony and your posts have been refuted and shown over and over to be Unconstitutional and insignificant as far as said Constitution and the guaranteed rights afforded by "OUR" Constitution! Again majority votes cannot remove Constitutional rights,the very same one's you enjoy whether gay or straight!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#183440 Mar 15, 2013
Randy -Rock- Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
But, D, we are not forcing our views upon you, we are telling you that your ideas do not fit the mold. Your side is forcing its views upon the rest of us, and forcing us, the majority of taxpayers, to witness the diversion of our majority of funds, to go toward supporting an already stipulated minority.
Bigfoot, nobody is forcing you to marry someone of the same sex. And gay people pay taxes, too, stupid. People are promised equal protection under the law, even if they don't "fit the mold".
Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183441 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
10 states, not quite the majority of the states, not even half, not as swift and as popular as you would like to believe or make other believe it is! That's only 1/5!
I'm not denying you any rights, there is your perpetuated lie, no one has actually stepped in at gunpoint or by force and stopped any gay couple from getting married.
This is the land of the free, and we were free to vote, and have our votes be counted and valued. But you stepped in and stomped all over our rights and vote. So be it, you want the same thing you want to deny others!
So you see even by your own admittance 18,000 gay couples have gotten married, no one was thrown in jail, denied the right to get married, or even denied by force to get married, it did not harm anyone nor did it stop their happiness. So you see your own point is mute! They are not being denied anything, their rights to marry are not being stopped in any way, nor has it taken away their happiness. Legally the voters said this is not their view as the traditional form of marriage between a man and woman!
But you go right ahead and beat your views over the majority of Americans heads! Makes us feel so free!
10 now! How many were there 10 years ago? And most likely a couple more this year! Coming to a state near you sooner than you think! Especially when the Supreme court again overturns DOMA and Upholds Prop 8 as Unconstitutional this June! What then? You won't have to like it but it will be a fact of life and you will have to live with it! Your logic and your critical thought processes are very flawed to say the least! You have an obviously bad take on "OUR" Constitution and Bill of rights! Again they are for all Americans and not just straight one's! How about you stop using gay taxes for your marriage benefits? LOL

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183442 Mar 15, 2013
Xavier Breath wrote:
You don't have two brain cells to rub together, do you?
Have you noticed how often gender segregation marriage supporters insult their political opponents? It's as if they don't care about other human beings; that's why we shouldn't let them change marriage laws.

Not to mention; ad hominem arguments are fallacies.

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#183443 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As long as you don't force your ideas on gay marriage on my beliefs of traditional marriage and those who see marriage as historical & traditional form of union between a man and woman.
No one is forcing tyranny on you, but you are forcing others to change their views to fit yours.
Nobody is trying to get you to change your stupid beliefs. You're too dumb and bigoted to be able to do that. Just keep them to yourself. OK?
Dont think straight wrote:
If all it is to you is a piece of paper, why not go to these other cultures and get married, why seek to do it with in the government ?
Stupid, this is the US, and the government is *obligated* to give all citizens equal protection under the law.
Dont think wrote:
Because its not about wanting to prove your love legally it's about insurance and other types of benefits.
If that were true, gay people could just marry friends of the opposite sex. Or get "mail order" spouses.
Dont think wrote:
This is the land of the free, you are free to get married in any form you want, but you cannot change the governments views or the majority of the peoples views and we are free to vote that the traditional and historic view of marriage stay the way it is without you forcing your views on us.
That's why your view of marriage was voted out. Yet you want to bypass the will of the people and use liberal gay judges with bias to change the vote.
Now that is tyranny, the few forcing the majority to conform to their views and way of thinking, forcing their version of political correctness. You think if you yell loud enough you can throw out the votes of the majority!
Seems you missed the news about states that voted in gay marriage by popular vote.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183444 Mar 15, 2013
Rose_NoHo wrote:
But then you argue against gay marriage, and that is saying there is something wrong with homosexuals and homosexuality....
No, there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality; the issue is about marriage laws, not sexuality. I've never advocated against sexuality; I've advocated against redefining marriage to satisfy sexual predilection.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183448 Mar 15, 2013
Pietro Armando wrote:
But Jones went further in his ruling, saying Nevada had a legitimate state interest in defining marriage as it did.

"The perpetuation of the human race depends upon traditional procreation between men and women," Jones wrote.

It is "conceivable," he wrote, that if gay marriage is legalized, "a meaningful percentage of heterosexual persons would cease to value the civil institution as highly as they previously had and hence enter into it less frequently ... because they no longer wish to be associated with the civil institution as redefined, leading to an increased percentage of out-of- wedlock children, single-parent families, difficulties in property disputes after the dissolution of what amount to common law marriages in a state where such marriages are not recognized, or other unforeseen consequences."

Jones added, "Because the family is the basic societal unit, the State could have validly reasoned that the consequences of altering the traditional definition of civil marriage could be severe."

Thanks! Great post!
Big D

Modesto, CA

#183450 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
10 states, not quite the majority of the states, not even half, not as swift and as popular as you would like to believe or make other believe it is! That's only 1/5!
I'm not denying you any rights, there is your perpetuated lie, no one has actually stepped in at gunpoint or by force and stopped any gay couple from getting married.
This is the land of the free, and we were free to vote, and have our votes be counted and valued. But you stepped in and stomped all over our rights and vote. So be it, you want the same thing you want to deny others!
So you see even by your own admittance 18,000 gay couples have gotten married, no one was thrown in jail, denied the right to get married, or even denied by force to get married, it did not harm anyone nor did it stop their happiness. So you see your own point is mute! They are not being denied anything, their rights to marry are not being stopped in any way, nor has it taken away their happiness. Legally the voters said this is not their view as the traditional form of marriage between a man and woman!
But you go right ahead and beat your views over the majority of Americans heads! Makes us feel so free!
Yes you are, there are over a hundred thousand legally recognized same sex marriages and you want to deny other same sex couples the same right.

Yes you are

In those 10 states, one district and one state that recognizes them preformed in other states, not one church was forced to preform anything, not one person was forced into a same sex marriage.

The tide is turning swiftly, come June at the least California will be the next state, and it will continue, because it is right, and just and it is a part of the freedom we celebrate in this country.

There is no turning back now, Same sex marriage is already legal, there are 18,000 of them in California right now, and over a hundred thousand of them across the nation.

Freedom, equality, Justice, every patriot should be on the same bandwagon

You are stuck on the vote? Mind if we vote on it again? because on the outside chance that the Supreme court comes down on the wrong side that is exactly what will happen, and the polls already show that same sex marriage would pass in a walk.

But that won’t happen, hundreds of major businesses have already petitioned the supreme court calling the recognizing of same sex marriage across all 50 states has become a business imperative, many conservatives are now backing same sex marriage, you ship has already sailed, never to return.

Don’t be too proud of that vote, a church organization saw a swiftly closing window and pushed money to have the vote at that time knowing that if voted upon later Prop 8 would fail.

I can get signatures of brown eyed people to deny blue eyed people the vote, and pass it with the majority of brown eyed people, it would be stuck down ( and rightly so ) just as prop 8 is being struck down.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#183451 Mar 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
Translation.... Just because you want freedom, equality, and justice, does not mean you should not respect my right to deny you freedom equality and justice. What a pile of crap
I disagree. I think the issue is state's rights, not freedom or equality. There is no gender equality right in the Constitution and you have the freedom to live as you please now; the issue is marriage law, not the individual.

“Vita e' Bella.”

Since: May 12

Location hidden

#183452 Mar 15, 2013
Prop 8 Unconstitutional wrote:
<quoted text>
Well then,I guess you haven't seen the all the latest national polls which are in fact now in favor of marriage equality by 52%! And how about reading the 14th Amendment to the Constitution and get back to us! You simply represent the tyranny of the majority and think that your personal beliefs should be able to circumvent the rights afforded us all in the Constitution and Bill of rights!
The Constitutional reasons why Prop 8 and other bans on marriage equality are in fact Unconstitutional!
www.afer.org/our-work/our-arguments
The summery of the Iowa Supreme court decision overturning the ban in that state and why the ban was in fact Unconstitutional!
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/assets/pdf/D... (read the section entitled"Equal protection clause"
But in his August 8 ruling Judge Alan C. Kay, a Reagan appointee, found that Hawaii’s legislature had a legitimate interest in legislating on behalf of traditional marriage.“Throughout history and societies, marriage has been connected with procreation and childrearing,” wrote Kay in his decision, which ran to 117 pages.“… It follows that it is not beyond rational speculation to conclude that fundamentally altering the definition of marriage to include same-sex unions might result in undermining the societal understanding of the link between marriage, procreation, and family structure.” He added that “to suddenly constitutionalize the issue of same-sex marriage ‘would short-circuit’ the legislative actions that have been taking place in Hawaii.... Accordingly, because Hawaii’s marriage laws are rationally related to legitimate government interests, they do not violate the federal Constitution.”&#8232;
Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183453 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
As you do on the voting process and the rights of individuals to cast a vote and that it will be valued and upheld when it is the vote of the majority! Screw political correctness! If the minority can supersede the majority vote we as Americans are in trouble and that includes you, because it works both ways, what goes around comes around as the saying goes!
And again,the Constitution trumps majority vote if said vote is RULED Unconstitutional! The courts are doing their job and exactly what they are supposed to do! UPHOLD the Constitution! These facts can't seem to pierce that thick skull of yours! Majority doesn't mean squat if something is Unconstitutional! How very un american of you!

Since: Apr 11

Santa Monica, CA

#183454 Mar 15, 2013
Dont think so wrote:
<quoted text>
Again you are confused. You can get married and may gays do in their own ceremonies, its just not recognized in the traditional form of marriage between a man and woman legally.(snip)
There are dingleberries smarter than you. The issue is legal recognition, not performing private ceremonies.

Prop 8 Unconstitutional

Beacon, NY

#183456 Mar 15, 2013
Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you are, there are over a hundred thousand legally recognized same sex marriages and you want to deny other same sex couples the same right.
Yes you are
In those 10 states, one district and one state that recognizes them preformed in other states, not one church was forced to preform anything, not one person was forced into a same sex marriage.
The tide is turning swiftly, come June at the least California will be the next state, and it will continue, because it is right, and just and it is a part of the freedom we celebrate in this country.
There is no turning back now, Same sex marriage is already legal, there are 18,000 of them in California right now, and over a hundred thousand of them across the nation.
Freedom, equality, Justice, every patriot should be on the same bandwagon
You are stuck on the vote? Mind if we vote on it again? because on the outside chance that the Supreme court comes down on the wrong side that is exactly what will happen, and the polls already show that same sex marriage would pass in a walk.
But that won’t happen, hundreds of major businesses have already petitioned the supreme court calling the recognizing of same sex marriage across all 50 states has become a business imperative, many conservatives are now backing same sex marriage, you ship has already sailed, never to return.
Don’t be too proud of that vote, a church organization saw a swiftly closing window and pushed money to have the vote at that time knowing that if voted upon later Prop 8 would fail.
I can get signatures of brown eyed people to deny blue eyed people the vote, and pass it with the majority of brown eyed people, it would be stuck down ( and rightly so ) just as prop 8 is being struck down.
And as the old Jethro Tull song goes,"Thick as a brick" He seems to think that a majority vote that violates the Constitution is A-OK in his book! Thick as a brick! It wasn't until 1992 that the Majority of Americans came to believe that it's OK for inter racial marriage! Hard to believe but true! Thank god for Loving V Virginia! Great posts! Constitutionality spot on my friend!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oakdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Available for dating Bachelorette (Dec '13) Dec 20 KeS 2
New OAKDALE Fema Concentration camps being buil... (Nov '08) Dec 18 classified1234 12
Review: A & A Temporary Fencing (Jun '14) Dec 18 Matt Dalek 2
Obamaa s Action on Immigration Praised in Modesto Dec 3 stell88 1
1980's Restaurant; Rax or Arbies? (Jul '06) Nov '14 xsturgeonx 3
Turlock candidate has long history in Stanislau... (Oct '06) Nov '14 Joe 6
Walmart in Oakdale? (Aug '07) Nov '14 Riverbank resident 13
Oakdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oakdale News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oakdale

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:21 pm PST