Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage

Aug 4, 2010 | Posted by: Topix | Full story: www.cnn.com

A federal judge in California has knocked down the state's voter-approved ban on same-sex marriage, ruling Wednesday that the state's controversial Proposition 8 violates the U.S. Constitution.

Comments
158,461 - 158,480 of 200,331 Comments Last updated 2 hrs ago
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
You are nitpicking technicalities to avoid the real argument. Which is I support marriage equality and you do not.
I think you are not clear about how "Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage" has nothing to do with your argument.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>If you think anybody's mind has EVER been changed by a Topix post, you are Queen Naive. Puh-leez..... a guilt trip?
More ad hominem dopiness.

Anything to avoid the slippery slope argument which is easily countered, But you are too dumb to do it.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
Your arguments against equal protection for polygamists are dumb and ineffective. Try a different tack maybe?
Except I haven't made any. Try a different strawman, maybe?
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are not clear about how "Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex marriage" has nothing to do with your argument.
I dont think the Brown case has anything to do with Prop 8

You are right
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL I didn’t actually look the Brown's up, that is funny, as I was saying, most of these religious poly types are NOT looking for government recognition.
That would defeat several reasons for Poly marriage, particularly with government assistance programs.
HA HA! So funny! A criminal case against someone based on their choice of who to marry and love. What a riot.

Brown said "There are tens of thousands of plural families in Utah and other states. We are one of those families. We only wish to live our private lives according to our beliefs. While we understand that this may be a long struggle in court, it has already been a long struggle for my family and other plural families to end the stereotypes and unfair treatment given consensual polygamy. We are indebted to Professor Turley and his team for their work and dedication. Together we hope to secure equal treatment with other families in the United States.”

On 1 June 2012, the criminal case against the Browns was dropped. However the suit filed by the Browns remains active after a federal judge refused to dismiss it, saying "strategic attempt to use the mootness doctrine to evade review in this case draws into question the sincerity of [the Utah County Attorney’s] contention that prosecution of plaintiffs for violating this statute is unlikely to recur".
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
Except I haven't made any. Try a different strawman, maybe?
He already tired the sister argument but that didn’t go over so well
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are not clear on the slippery slope created by the judge's decision.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
More ad hominem dopiness.
Anything to avoid the slippery slope argument which is easily countered, But you are too dumb to do it.
The slippery slope argument is a logical fallacy. It's Logic 101.

The Slippery Slope is a fallacy in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any argument for the inevitability of the event in question. In most cases, there are a series of steps or gradations between one event and the one in question and no reason is given as to why the intervening steps or gradations will simply be bypassed.
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>If you think anybody's mind has EVER been changed by a Topix post, you are Queen Naive. Puh-leez..... a guilt trip?
I don't. But Big D's and your attempts to shout me down and censor me seem like you do.

I argue there is a slippery slope. You scream and whine there isn't and offer nothing to support that. Except the off topic card. It's not off topic and you know it.
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
I dont think the Brown case has anything to do with Prop 8
You are right
It's their way of hijacking the thread, because it will all be over in a few months and they know they're gonna lose big time. Wouldn't it be wild if the SCOTUS decision covers the entire 9th Circuit?
Frankie Rizzo

Union City, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Big D wrote:
<quoted text>
He already tired the sister argument but that didn’t go over so well
Why can't I marry my sister? You refuse to say.

Your "marry my goat" argument was a real doozy!
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are not clear on the slippery slope created by the judge's decision.
And there it is folks!

The reason Frankie constantly brings up Poly, the slippery slope argument used against Same Sex Marriage!

First same sex marriage, next dogs and cats will start having Dats ( or is it Cogs )

You going to start being honest about it now?
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Clear enough to know that a slippery slope argument, whatever the details, is a fallacious argument.

The Slippery Slope is a fallacy in which a person asserts that some event must inevitably follow from another without any argument for the inevitability of the event in question. In most cases, there are a series of steps or gradations between one event and the one in question and no reason is given as to why the intervening steps or gradations will simply be bypassed.

hehehe

you tickle me.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Because she doesn’t want you, ask your goat
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
HA HA! So funny! A criminal case against someone based on their choice of who to marry and love. What a riot.
Brown said "There are tens of thousands of plural families in Utah and other states. We are one of those families. We only wish to live our private lives according to our beliefs. While we understand that this may be a long struggle in court, it has already been a long struggle for my family and other plural families to end the stereotypes and unfair treatment given consensual polygamy. We are indebted to Professor Turley and his team for their work and dedication. Together we hope to secure equal treatment with other families in the United States.”
On 1 June 2012, the criminal case against the Browns was dropped. However the suit filed by the Browns remains active after a federal judge refused to dismiss it, saying "strategic attempt to use the mootness doctrine to evade review in this case draws into question the sincerity of [the Utah County Attorney’s] contention that prosecution of plaintiffs for violating this statute is unlikely to recur".
Here we go again..... you are so defective.

The Browns went on tv and ADVERTIZED the fact that they were breaking Utah law. Charges were brought and dropped. The Browns are attempting to get that law overturned. They are NOT SEEKING LEGAL RECOGNITION OF THEIR "MARRIAGE" So spare us the martyr to the cause dog&pony show.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok you want a serious answer?

Start a petition to put it on a ballot, it will be like taking a survey and you will get a LOT of answers.:)

Have your sister there with you when you do it too, that will make it a LOT funnier, please take video, get Google-glass because we will want to see the feed direct.

Make sure you tell people about the slippery slope and that you are asking because of Same Sex Marriage

My opinion doesn’t matter, get a general public opinion.

( but please get Google-glass first, we want to watch )
Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't. But Big D's and your attempts to shout me down and censor me seem like you do.
I argue there is a slippery slope. You scream and whine there isn't and offer nothing to support that. Except the off topic card. It's not off topic and you know it.
I didn't make up the rules in Logic. It's Logic 101.
The slippery slope argument is what it is.

let's try this ploy:

In most cases, there are a series of steps or gradations between one event and the one in question and no reason is given as to why the intervening steps or gradations will simply be bypassed.

In most cases, there are a series of steps or gradations between one event and the one in question and no reason is given as to why the intervening steps or gradations will simply be bypassed.

Xavier Breath

Hoboken, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Frankie Rizzo wrote:
<quoted text>
We love free speech. Think of us as FactCheck.org
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Xavier Breath wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't make up the rules in Logic. It's Logic 101.
The slippery slope argument is what it is.
let's try this ploy:
He has been denying the whole "slippery slope" as the reason for his bringing up poly ( and his sister ) thing from the beginning, and now he embraces it.

Maybe we can finally set aside his dishonesty if he is going to start being honest about his position on SSM now.
Big D

Modesto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2013

Judged:

Slipery slope

----------

The heart of the slippery slope fallacy lies in abusing the intuitively appreciable transitivity of implication, claiming that A leads to B, B leads to C, C leads to D and so on, until one finally claims that A leads to Z. While this is formally valid when the premises are taken as a given, each of those contingencies needs to be factually established before the relevant conclusion can be drawn. Slippery slope fallacies occur when this is not done—an argument that supports the relevant premises is not fallacious and thus isn't a slippery slope fallacy.

Often proponents of a "slippery slope" contention propose a long series of intermediate events as the mechanism of connection leading from A to B. The "camel's nose" provides one example of this: once a camel has managed to place its nose within a tent, the rest of the camel will inevitably follow. In this sense the slippery slope resembles the genetic fallacy, but in reverse.

----------

Hence my waiting for the goat argument, as SSM so obviously leads to people marrying goats.

He has already gone from Poly to Sister, Goats have to be next on the list

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Oakdale Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••