Tommy Lauver Kidnapping in 1974

Posted in the Oakdale Forum

Elicia

Indianapolis, IN

#1 May 25, 2009
I just came across this story in People magazine (a 1974 issue) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/...

and am wondering what ever happened to the kidnappers? Does anybody know? I've tried searching the internet and can't find anything.

Also, if anybody knows what type of life Tommy Lauver had afterwards (any emotional damage or just a normal life) that would be of help too. For some reason, this story has just intrigued me immensely, and I can't find anything about what happened after he was found.

Any updates would be appreciated.

Thanks.
gam

Querétaro, Mexico

#2 Jul 4, 2009
Elicia wrote:
I just came across this story in People magazine (a 1974 issue) http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/...
and am wondering what ever happened to the kidnappers? Does anybody know? I've tried searching the internet and can't find anything.
Also, if anybody knows what type of life Tommy Lauver had afterwards (any emotional damage or just a normal life) that would be of help too. For some reason, this story has just intrigued me immensely, and I can't find anything about what happened after he was found.
Any updates would be appreciated.
Thanks.
I find it fascinating too. I was able to find that the parents divorced afterwards. Tommy went to live with his mother who re-married and they all live in the Las Vegas, Nevada, area. I read that he says he has no memory of the kidnapping and the family doesn't seem interested in publicity.
cousin

Palo Alto, CA

#3 Sep 13, 2009
your story is wrong. His father died of a brain aneurysm. then, his mother remarried. Tommy is happily married with children.
article

San Francisco, CA

#4 Oct 22, 2009
Hello,

how can i get to this article?? I tried pulling up the link you've posted and it takes me to an article on the Gettys.
sheila

Chowchilla, CA

#5 Nov 4, 2010
cousin wrote:
your story is wrong. His father died of a brain aneurysm. then, his mother remarried. Tommy is happily married with children.
I was a long time child hood friend. his dad was at my house the day he was taken and francis was stabbed in the side. The police called my house.Cousin, you may respond to e-mail a3pomsrule@yahoo.com
sheila

Chowchilla, CA

#6 Nov 4, 2010
I grew up with tommy in modesto. His dad was at my house at the time the call came in that tommy was taken and francis was stabbed. I do have way more info such as my parents and his parents were best friends at the time. cousin you may respond to my e-mail or pass it on to francis. a3pomsrule@yahoo.com
debbie coffey rush

Fairfield, CA

#7 Dec 14, 2011
my parents robert coffey and marjorie coffey are the ones that did this terrible thing and i have been in terrible misery my hole life living with the guilt of thier actions i loved him when he lived with us thinking he was my brother not knowing what they really did until the end i was 12 when they were caught i will be 50 in june and it seems like yesterday that they did this to him and his mother i have wanted to contact them my hole life for thier frogiveness my dad is dead and mother is in a board and care my sister and me suffered a lifetime of damage because of this event we will never forget the terrible act they did we loved him

Since: Jan 11

San Francisco, CA

#8 Dec 14, 2011
debbie coffey rush wrote:
my parents robert coffey and marjorie coffey are the ones that did this terrible thing and i have been in terrible misery my hole life living with the guilt of thier actions i loved him when he lived with us thinking he was my brother not knowing what they really did until the end i was 12 when they were caught i will be 50 in june and it seems like yesterday that they did this to him and his mother i have wanted to contact them my hole life for thier frogiveness my dad is dead and mother is in a board and care my sister and me suffered a lifetime of damage because of this event we will never forget the terrible act they did we loved him
Thank you for sharing. You have to know it wasn't your fault, you were just a child. What happened to your parents? Did they go to prison?
debbie

Fairfield, CA

#9 Dec 14, 2011
yes they did but not long enough as far as i am concerned because my sis and i had to go back with them and our lives were good while they were away but the system believes children should be reunited with the parents and that is not always the case
they treated him bad as they did us and for that i should have talked to a teacher, parent or someone and really wish i could turn back time

Hughson, CA

#10 Dec 14, 2011
debbie wrote:
yes they did but not long enough as far as i am concerned because my sis and i had to go back with them and our lives were good while they were away but the system believes children should be reunited with the parents and that is not always the case
they treated him bad as they did us and for that i should have talked to a teacher, parent or someone and really wish i could turn back time
We can't be responsible for our parents actions, especially as a child. Do you know if his parents are still living? Have you ever tried to contact Tommy? The People's magazine article said it looked ad though his legs were bound together do you know if that happened? Please try not to beat yourself up over this. It wasn't your fault. Do you have a relationship with your mother ?
debbie

Fairfield, CA

#11 Dec 19, 2011
Cali-gurl wrote:
<quoted text>
We can't be responsible for our parents actions, especially as a child. Do you know if his parents are still living? Have you ever tried to contact Tommy? The People's magazine article said it looked ad though his legs were bound together do you know if that happened? Please try not to beat yourself up over this. It wasn't your fault. Do you have a relationship with your mother ?
i really cant talk about that part of it i really cant thats way to much for me and i really wanted to just say to him and his mom how sorry i am personally for what my parents did and what i should have done my sis was to young she was 10 and really was devastated and as i said we were told he was our brother and no i have no more relations with her at all and will never again sometimes people never change
debbie

Fairfield, CA

#12 Dec 19, 2011
oh my GOD cali girl what do you mean it was in peoples magazine when what year and i cant believe that story was in there how embarassing i know it was in readers digest but not peoples magazine

Hughson, CA

#13 Dec 19, 2011
debbie wrote:
oh my GOD cali girl what do you mean it was in peoples magazine when what year and i cant believe that story was in there how embarassing i know it was in readers digest but not peoples magazine
Look at the first post. That's where I saw it and so I googled it and the link came up. It was an article printed in the 1970's. I live in Modesto so that's why this topic interested me. My parents remember this happening and tell me about it. I wasn't born yet.
Kathryn

Omaha, NE

#14 Dec 31, 2011
I remember this, too. My daughter was just 1 1/2. It worried me that someone could do that and I always locked my car doors after hearing about this. It was strange, too, because I think he had the same birthday as Patty Hearst and me(although different years).
debbie

Fairfield, CA

#15 Jan 7, 2012
well sometimes people are not okay in their heads and need professional help in order to think realistically
and although that is no excuse especially for those that take or harm children they try to rationalize and make excuses for their behaviors justifying what they have just done so they dont have to feel the guilt they leave that for their children to do
J Johnson

United States

#16 Apr 8, 2014
My cousin Carol and I once stayed at Debbie Coffee's house while Tommy was there. We asked to see him but were given an excuse of why we could not. Then for a few seconds we were allowed to see him lying in a crib. We all went to Burbank Elementary together and knew each other from school. We were all very surprised to hear of the kidnapping and I vaguely remember the day my mother told me about it. I remember telling her that Carol and I briefly saw Tommy in his crib. We were all in the 4th or 5th grade- I can't remember.
Old friend

New York, NY

#17 May 5, 2014
debbie wrote:
well sometimes people are not okay in their heads and need professional help in order to think realistically
and although that is no excuse especially for those that take or harm children they try to rationalize and make excuses for their behaviors justifying what they have just done so they dont have to feel the guilt they leave that for their children to do
Debbie, I'm so sorry you & Gigi were left to struggle through the aftermath of your parents' actions. I remember how excited you were to have a new little brother and how devoted you were to him. You have no reason to feel guilty. All you did was love him. We missed having your friendship.
Cousin Susan

Modesto, CA

#18 Jun 6, 2014
cousin wrote:
Actually, Tom & Frances did separate/divorce & then he later passed away.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oakdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Andrews Appliance Repair (Oct '13) Mar 18 Julia 3
News Scott Peterson family asking for donations (Jul '09) Mar 16 Cathy Odell 60
News $1.8 million mosque rising at Islamic Center in... (Feb '14) Mar 15 truthseekerss 34
Review: Northern California Cancer Center Mar 11 Anonymous 1
Review: Law Offices Of Ernie Spokes (Dec '13) Mar 7 jewelz 3
OAKDALE (NWO) FEMA CONCENTRATION CAMP being bui... (Nov '08) Mar 7 Riverbank resident 115
Review: Consolidated Reliance (Mar '13) Mar 3 Mod 5
Oakdale Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oakdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]