Topix Chitown Regulars

Since: Jun 09

Verona, WI

#69959 Jul 26, 2012
L1: I'm bothered by Prudie's advice because she didn't ask if she should take back her husband. I agree that it's probably best if she not take back the nanny, but I can see the difference between taking back hired help and a spouse. The type of relationship most people want with their spouse is one that involves complete trust and loyalty. With a nanny, you basically want someone who will give your kids the best care. The downsides include that a person who will have an affair with a married person is not exactly setting the best example. If she was otherwise a good example and good caretaker to your children, then it would be fine to let her care for your kids. However, note that your relationship with her may be difficult.

In other words, it's probably best if you find another nanny, but if she was good for your kids, then that's what is important.

L2: You are seriously damaged, and I agree with Prudie that you need a new therapist. You didn't have to agree to the surgery, but I think you traded compliance for appeasement and a college education. You really need to learn to stand up to your parents. If that requires estrangement after waiting until you graduate, then you should learn the skills necessary to separate. I'm sorry that your parents effed you up so bad.

L3: I feel sorry for your husband. I'm gonna bet that you don't work outside the home and you expect your husband to do a large portion of the chores. Your lucky he doesn't dump you.

Verona, WI

#69960 Jul 26, 2012
Is no one going to post the columns? We have some strict policies at work regarding copyright violations, and I could potentially get in trouble. Otherwise I would.

Since: Mar 09

Miami, FL

#69961 Jul 26, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish I could take credit, but I usually take them straight from the website.
Ha! I never noticed.

I'll grab the girls now that I have a minute.
Sam I Am

Palatine, IL

#69962 Jul 26, 2012
You're a column.

Miami, FL

#69963 Jul 26, 2012

“I Am Mine”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#69964 Jul 26, 2012
j_m_w wrote:
<quoted text>
Ha! I never noticed.
I'll grab the girls now that I have a minute.
Can you post the columns when you're done?

Miami, FL

#69965 Jul 26, 2012
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Can you post the columns when you're done?
Sure, it usually only takes a few minutes under these circumstances.
;)

Verona, WI

#69966 Jul 26, 2012
Thanks for posting!
Stina

Saint Petersburg, FL

#69967 Jul 26, 2012
Prudie:

LW1: You are crazy. What would you be telling your kids? And do you really want someone with such a shabby moral fiber to help rear your children? Nice!

LW2: Prudie's right

LW3: A gift that is forced is not really a gift at all. And the LW is a self-absorbed, shallow beyotch. Her husband should dump her.

LW4: Drives me nuts too. Don't answer.

Verona, WI

#69968 Jul 26, 2012
Stina wrote:
Prudie:
LW1: You are crazy. What would you be telling your kids? And do you really want someone with such a shabby moral fiber to help rear your children?
Why do people think she will have difficulty explaining this to her kids? I mean surely she gave some vague, innocuous reason about her leaving, so her re-appearance would not likely warrant some detailed discussion.

Since: Feb 10

Location hidden

#69969 Jul 26, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
L1: I'm bothered by Prudie's advice because she didn't ask if she should take back her husband. I agree that it's probably best if she not take back the nanny, but I can see the difference between taking back hired help and a spouse. The type of relationship most people want with their spouse is one that involves complete trust and loyalty. With a nanny, you basically want someone who will give your kids the best care. The downsides include that a person who will have an affair with a married person is not exactly setting the best example. If she was otherwise a good example and good caretaker to your children, then it would be fine to let her care for your kids. However, note that your relationship with her may be difficult.
In other words, it's probably best if you find another nanny, but if she was good for your kids, then that's what is important.
L2: You are seriously damaged, and I agree with Prudie that you need a new therapist. You didn't have to agree to the surgery, but I think you traded compliance for appeasement and a college education. You really need to learn to stand up to your parents. If that requires estrangement after waiting until you graduate, then you should learn the skills necessary to separate. I'm sorry that your parents effed you up so bad.
L3: I feel sorry for your husband. I'm gonna bet that you don't work outside the home and you expect your husband to do a large portion of the chores. Your lucky he doesn't dump you.
1. Yup
2. Yup
3. Yup
4. I'm just amazed at how many people seem to be so tightly clenched that they can't just say "hey, a little privacy, please"

Location hidden

#69970 Jul 26, 2012
Stina wrote:
Prudie:
LW1: You are crazy. What would you be telling your kids? And do you really want someone with such a shabby moral fiber to help rear your children? Nice!
LW2: Prudie's right
LW3: A gift that is forced is not really a gift at all. And the LW is a self-absorbed, shallow beyotch. Her husband should dump her.
LW4: Drives me nuts too. Don't answer.
I used to work with a woman who had a total melt-down (at work) because her fiance didn't send her flowers one Valentine's Day. He had just spent about 5 grand plus the cost of the ring to propose, a couple weeks earlier and didn't think the whole flowers-at-work-to-make-the-ot her-women-jealous was needed...he was wrong. The next day, she got 3 dozen roses, and the 15th of every month after that, she got 3 dozen roses. He put in a standing order and gave them his credit card, which he had set to auto-pay. There was NO thought to it after that first order, but she preened around for the rest of the time I knew her, gloating about the proof that he was always thinking about her.

It wasn't jealousy the rest of us felt, just pity that the poor guy was born without a spine.

Since: Jan 10

Location hidden

#69971 Jul 26, 2012
L1: "I hope you will consider giving your marriage another try." WTH? He slept with their nanny for several months. It wasn't a one-time thing. She's completely within her rights to decide that she can't get past it/forgive it.

L2: Don't pay them back. THey chose to pay for your college education. Finish school then get the hell away from those control freaks.

L3: Do YOU give HIM gifts like that once a month? Didn't think so. Buy your own shit.

L4: You don't have to talk BACK to these people. My god.

L4:

Location hidden

#69972 Jul 26, 2012
itser wrote:
<quoted text>
I used to work with a woman who had a total melt-down (at work) because her fiance didn't send her flowers one Valentine's Day. He had just spent about 5 grand plus the cost of the ring to propose, a couple weeks earlier and didn't think the whole flowers-at-work-to-make-the-ot her-women-jealous was needed...he was wrong. The next day, she got 3 dozen roses, and the 15th of every month after that, she got 3 dozen roses. He put in a standing order and gave them his credit card, which he had set to auto-pay. There was NO thought to it after that first order, but she preened around for the rest of the time I knew her, gloating about the proof that he was always thinking about her.
It wasn't jealousy the rest of us felt, just pity that the poor guy was born without a spine.
I worked with a woman whose sister got engaged at Christmas... then threw a tantrum with the fiance - in front of all the family gathered - because she didn't consider the ring to be a Christmas gift, and she was pissed he didn't buy her a separate christmas gift. I told my coworker, "That was his first sign that he needs to run far away from your sister, as fast as he can." She agreed.

“Where is Tonka?”

Since: Feb 09

Neda, stay with me! Charlie

#69973 Jul 26, 2012
The date (on the strip itself) says 7/25 I believe that date is put there by the author.
Mister Tonka wrote:
<quoted text>Douche? I doubt strip writers are sitting there handing in comics on a daily basis. They likely hand over a batch at a time and then the outlets control whether it gets posted/printed or not.

Location hidden

#69974 Jul 26, 2012
RACE wrote:
The date (on the strip itself) says 7/25 I believe that date is put there by the author.
<quoted text>
Tonka's right, they do their strips a few weeks in advance. That 7/25 date isn't the date he drew it, it's the date he planned for it to go to print (it avoids mistakes by newspaper editors).

But it's just weird. And there was ANOTHER strip officially released for yesterday for this. So why are there two? Did someone plagiarize? The comic guy is well into his 70s, so it just doesn't seem like something he'd do.

Location hidden

#69975 Jul 26, 2012
RedheadwGlasses wrote:
<quoted text>
I worked with a woman whose sister got engaged at Christmas... then threw a tantrum with the fiance - in front of all the family gathered - because she didn't consider the ring to be a Christmas gift, and she was pissed he didn't buy her a separate christmas gift. I told my coworker, "That was his first sign that he needs to run far away from your sister, as fast as he can." She agreed.
But I'm guessing he wasn't bright enough to do that. AND if they did break up, I bet she would have then claimed that the ring WAS a Christmas present and she therefore did not have to give it back once the engagement was ended.

Verona, WI

#69976 Jul 26, 2012
At the risk of being judged mean or heartless, I just don't get the outrage at the strip. Is it in poor taste? <dunno, maybe> Do I care if other people do things that are in poor taste? NO.

Rather than being upset at something like this, I find other related things to be much more upsetting or outrageous.

Like I'm sick of letting wackos and isolated incidences dictate the behavior of innocent people. So now a cartoonist has to cancel his intended strip because it is loosely related to a tragedy? We've become so PC it's ridiculous.

I also don't get how it's fine if the media beats this to death with opinions and likely inaccurate assessments, but someone making a joke that probably wasn't even about the event somehow denigrates him to a douche.

While I'm ranting, I'm also highly annoyed at this quest for "why". What do you mean "Why"? Is it really that hard to figure out why someone would get fed up with people and lose his schit? Is it that hard to imagine when someone feels their life is spiraling out of control and they have unresolved anger that they would take it out on strangers? There's no magic "why" that's gonna save people in the future. We're animals. Animals sometimes act violently. Get used to it, and keep your hands of our guns.

Sorry, I feel better now.

Miami, FL

#69977 Jul 26, 2012
On a somewhat related note, have you guys seen the trailer for the movie Neighborhood Watch (Ben Stiller, Jonah Hill, etc.)? I know this movie was in production long before the Martin-Zimmerman fiasco, but the timing kinda sucks.

“reign in blood”

Since: May 09

Bronx, NY

#69978 Jul 26, 2012
cycle003 wrote:
At the risk of being judged mean or heartless, I just don't get the outrage at the strip. Is it in poor taste? <dunno, maybe> Do I care if other people do things that are in poor taste? NO.
Rather than being upset at something like this, I find other related things to be much more upsetting or outrageous.
Like I'm sick of letting wackos and isolated incidences dictate the behavior of innocent people. So now a cartoonist has to cancel his intended strip because it is loosely related to a tragedy? We've become so PC it's ridiculous.
I also don't get how it's fine if the media beats this to death with opinions and likely inaccurate assessments, but someone making a joke that probably wasn't even about the event somehow denigrates him to a douche.
While I'm ranting, I'm also highly annoyed at this quest for "why". What do you mean "Why"? Is it really that hard to figure out why someone would get fed up with people and lose his schit? Is it that hard to imagine when someone feels their life is spiraling out of control and they have unresolved anger that they would take it out on strangers? There's no magic "why" that's gonna save people in the future. We're animals. Animals sometimes act violently. Get used to it, and keep your hands of our guns.
Sorry, I feel better now.
It's insensitive and in poor taste. People died. People with loved ones and family. You don't make jokes about that.

And we are not animals, we are civilized humans. We are above animals.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Lawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 10 min VetnorsGate 1,745,679
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr Shh 12,231
Trump is A 1 hr Independent Thinker 614
Gay bar 2 hr Eddie and Jolly 4
Midlothian Police (Sep '13) 3 hr Magic Tow 65
Eddie Needs A Job In November 3 hr Bo Didley 7
Fire Alarm Procedure 5 hr Yo Mama 13

Oak Lawn Jobs

Personal Finance

Oak Lawn Mortgages