1 slain, 1 wounded in shooting in Bev...

1 slain, 1 wounded in shooting in Beverly neighborhood

There are 90 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jul 11, 2008, titled 1 slain, 1 wounded in shooting in Beverly neighborhood. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

One man was killed and another was critically wounded when a gunman began firing into their vehicle in the Beverly neighborhood on Chicago's far Southwest Side late Thursday, police said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Since: Nov 07

Chicago

#88 Jul 17, 2008
Northsider wrote:
Mount Greenwood is pure trash - urbanized hillbillies.
Call it what you want but their kids are going to school without being killed everyday. Their kids can ride their bikes without being killed for them. Mt Greenwood has the lowest crime on the entire Southside, if that's hillbilly count me in and give me a bandjo!
Paco

United States

#89 Jul 17, 2008
mike wrote:
man you are all bogus as hell that was myneighbor that died.
Dont listen to these people on here,there ignorant!These people who comment on here are nosey,and dont know what there talking about 9 times out of 10.Half of them aint even from Chicago and the other half think they know it all when in fact they dont know shyyt about Chicago street's.Sorry to hear about you're neighbor.May the good lord be in his family's corner during these hard time's.
noneoftheabove

Melrose Park, IL

#90 Jul 17, 2008
New East Beverly Resident wrote:
Some of these posts are freaking me out. I'm white and recently bought a pretty expensive home east of Wood precisely because of the racial diversity (I know several other white couples who did the same, at least up to Prospect). I think the neighborhood is stably integrated, not changing for the worse. I particularly liked that white and black children visibly play together on the streets. Frankly, I think this is the best model for the future of city neighborhoods. Running from blacks is last generation's mistake. Anyhow, since middle class blacks have the same aspirations as whites so they will always be looking to move into stable communities with good schools also, so once or twice a generation the whites will have to pick up and move to some ugly suburb even further away from the city. I'm sympathetic to concerns about crime but I really think if the white residents didn't freak out and go running that things would stabilize and change very little. All of my black neighbors are well educated, friendly, and keep up their properties and mind their own business. That's all I care about.
It's never the initial blacks that come into a white neighborhood, it what follows them! We lived in South Shore many years ago and to see how that neighborhood has been destroyed is heartbreaking. But my condolences on your choice of living where you do because if you have kids, safety will become a bigger issue and you'll eventually have to move to a safer neighborhood.
And with the like of "reverend" Wright out there teaching to hate white people and blaming white people for everything wrong in their lives - I feel you're fighting against the current
New East Beverly Resident

Woodridge, IL

#91 Jul 17, 2008
noneoftheabove wrote:
<quoted text>
It's never the initial blacks that come into a white neighborhood, it what follows them! We lived in South Shore many years ago and to see how that neighborhood has been destroyed is heartbreaking. But my condolences on your choice of living where you do because if you have kids, safety will become a bigger issue and you'll eventually have to move to a safer neighborhood.
And with the like of "reverend" Wright out there teaching to hate white people and blaming white people for everything wrong in their lives - I feel you're fighting against the current
You might be right. I hope not. One thing to remember is that it's not 1975 anymore. In some predominantly black areas many whites are moving in (Bronzeville, Woodlawn, Oakland, etc.). Other areas are really stably integrated (Hyde Park, I thought East Beverly). In other areas there is black flight with many Hispanics moving in. Overall I think the landscape is changing quite a bit, not so simple anymore as the old white flight model. Also, where could you flee to, central indiana? There are LOTS of middle and upper-middle class blacks who are free to move wherever they choose and will eventually spread throughout the suburbs as well. Best to just stay put, get along, and enjoy the neighborhood.
Hmm

Warrenville, IL

#92 Jul 17, 2008
New East Beverly Resident wrote:
Some of these posts are freaking me out. I'm white and recently bought a pretty expensive home east of Wood precisely because of the racial diversity (I know several other white couples who did the same, at least up to Prospect). I think the neighborhood is stably integrated, not changing for the worse. I particularly liked that white and black children visibly play together on the streets. Frankly, I think this is the best model for the future of city neighborhoods. Running from blacks is last generation's mistake. Anyhow, since middle class blacks have the same aspirations as whites so they will always be looking to move into stable communities with good schools also, so once or twice a generation the whites will have to pick up and move to some ugly suburb even further away from the city. I'm sympathetic to concerns about crime but I really think if the white residents didn't freak out and go running that things would stabilize and change very little. All of my black neighbors are well educated, friendly, and keep up their properties and mind their own business. That's all I care about.
I applaud you sir (or madam).

No reason to freak out. This is just the usual near-sighted racism. I say you enjoy your home with all your good neighbors.
the north side guy

United States

#93 Jul 17, 2008
Paco wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont listen to these people on here,there ignorant!These people who comment on here are nosey,and dont know what there talking about 9 times out of 10.Half of them aint even from Chicago and the other half think they know it all when in fact they dont know shyyt about Chicago street's.Sorry to hear about you're neighbor.May the good lord be in his family's corner during these hard time's.
This is true....
reality check

Chicago, IL

#94 Jul 17, 2008
noneoftheabove wrote:
<quoted text>
are you saying gangbangers and crazies go to church and then come out to exact violence on white people?

what about the white guys that traffic drugs across the border
in their planes....and the white guys that traffic guns to black idiots?

are those white guys motivated by a hate their white brothers and sisters in rev. white church?
too short

Chicago, IL

#95 Jul 17, 2008
I think alot of people are simplifying white flight and what happens to black neighborhoods. if white people start taking a loss and sale their homes to slum landlords and real estate speculators who do you think is going to move in?
now property values go down and middle class blacks simply follow the middle class whites.
on top of that, lower middle class blacks and whites pay more insurance, pay more for health care, pay more for mortgages, etc...becuase upper class white folk would rather give a break to their mediocre family members and buddies than qaulified over-educated minorities....so where does the disposable income go for lower class minorities to keep their property looking spiffy and how do middle class blacks keep up with middle class whites and their superiority complex?
so over time, after white flight, the tax base become worthless and therefore the schools go to crap...so you have the next generation growing up trapped in a cycle of poverty and no access to quality education.
noneoftheabove

Melrose Park, IL

#96 Jul 18, 2008
reality check wrote:
<quoted text>
are you saying gangbangers and crazies go to church and then come out to exact violence on white people?
what about the white guys that traffic drugs across the border
in their planes....and the white guys that traffic guns to black idiots?
are those white guys motivated by a hate their white brothers and sisters in rev. white church?
From what I've seen of "reverend" Wright and the people attending, I'd have to say yes to your first question
I don't live near the border so I don't have any idea of what you're talking about.
Are you seriously blaming white people for allowing blacks to own guns? I guess you subscribe to Wright's views and like to play the victim.
On your line of logic, Why don't you blame the black people in Africa who sold their brothers to the white slave traders? They're the ones who provided the slaves to the white slave traders.
reality check

United States

#97 Jul 19, 2008
Noneoftheabove can elegantly comment on africans selling africans during the slave trade but he/she can't comment on who is bringing drugs into the country in modern day America?....lol

Are you one of Rev. Wright's operatives? BTW, he does have alot of white friends and supporters..are you one of them? I guess they have self-hate issues..You know your country has problems but you shouldn't hate it so much yourself..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Lawn Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 1 min Guest 1,481,919
Joe Gatrell's vaunted slate 2 min Betrayed by BIIP 122
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 11 min loose cannon 234,270
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 32 min Susanm 10,089
Double Word Game (Dec '11) 34 min They cannot kill ... 3,542
FRIDAY 1/20/17 PRESIDENT TRUMP. Democrap Tota... 50 min Man OR Superman 10
2017 Alsip Municipal Election 1 hr Alsipneedschange 23

Oak Lawn Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oak Lawn Mortgages