locate

London, KY

#1 Jun 17, 2012
Me and my wife currently live in London KY and we are looking to relocate to oak island.... i was down there a few year ago working at the military base working on the rail road. I loved it there and we was just wondering does any one have any suggestions as to jobs and finding a place to live.... She has her CNA and there isn't to much that i cant do... I would really appreciate the suggestion's plz
timesup

Damascus, MD

#2 Jun 17, 2012
Too late! Oak Island is going down the sewer, litteraly!

They will tax you for every breath you take!

Long time residents ar leaving like rats on a sinking ship!

Good Luck, go to the Outer Banks!
I know

Fenton, MI

#3 Sep 16, 2012
agree
Who Would Have Thought

Leland, NC

#4 Sep 17, 2012
locate wrote:
Me and my wife currently live in London KY and we are looking to relocate to oak island.... i was down there a few year ago working at the military base working on the rail road. I loved it there and we was just wondering does any one have any suggestions as to jobs and finding a place to live.... She has her CNA and there isn't to much that i cant do... I would really appreciate the suggestion's plz
I live in Oak Island and love living here. There is one hospital in Southport, several physicians offices in Oak Island/Southport and also a hospital at Shalotte/Supply. Your wife most likely could find employment.

There are always rental properties available and some condos have long term rentals.
OkiNotSoDoki

Lexington, NC

#5 Sep 26, 2012
You've heard the expression 'it's a nice place to visit, BUT you wouldn't want to live there'? Well, there you go. Like others have said, they tax you to death, a sewer tap is $4200, it's not unusual for a water bill to be $200 a month even if you hardly use none, the local politicians are crooked as you know what, wind insurance is through the roof, no-see-ums will eat you alive, thieves are rampant, the houses degrade FAST thanks to the being sandblasted by the salt & wind and need constant maintenance, local service providers rip you off, god-awful lousy restaurant food costs an arm & a leg, property is sky high, the locals are always in a pissy mood because of the tourists, the non-driving & drunken tourists trash everything, and everything you own made of metal will be rusted away to nothing in six months. Take some good advice and just take vacations there. You'll enjoy being a vacationer MUCH more than being a resident. Look around, there's a LOT of good reasons for all the 'for sale' signs.
OkiNotSoDoki

Lexington, NC

#6 Sep 26, 2012
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. There are absolutely NO jobs available, and if you do get lucky enough to find one, it's probably going to involve a long commute, low pay, and you'll be treated like sh*t by your employer because they all have the mentality that you're expendable and there's a hundred other people that want your job and will do it cheaper. They treat everyone like they're 'summer' help. One more thing to consider. You'll starve in the winter, because everything practically shuts down after the summer season.
You should also think about evacuation when there's a storm.
OKI Resident

Southport, NC

#7 Sep 29, 2012
yes, the sewer tap is $4200, but a lot are already paid for and if you do find a home to purchase, simply put it in your agreement that the owners will pay prior to closing. My water bill has NEVER been above $125(summer only,$100 usually) including sewer costs and that is 2 bathrooms, washing the boat down each week, washing the beach chairs off, washing cars and having multiply families in the summer visiting. Not ALL the restaurants close in the winter, just a select few. Wind insurance on my $250,000 house is $1400 a year. EVERYONE I have met on the island is wonderful. So what if you have to commute to work...the trade off is a wonderful, non crowded beach and all the beauty to comes with it. I LOVE living here on the island!!!
Bogus

Mount Morris, MI

#9 Dec 5, 2012
Read the "Pilot" Oak Island is the 5th most expensive place to live in NC.

Ocean Isle is 1st.

Unless you have more money than brains....STAY AWAY !!!
Private Party

Lincolnton, NC

#11 Dec 28, 2012
All damn yankees need to pack it and leave!
No longer OKI

Norwalk, OH

#12 Dec 28, 2012
Private Party wrote:
All damn yankees need to pack it and leave!


It's too late, Oak Island is scarred for life!

The "blue-collar" worker can't afford to live on the island any more!....Just look around at all the empty & foreclosed homes!

You have to pay for 2000 gals of water & 4000 gals of sewer every month, even if you don't use a drop!!!

PS: Did you know a meter reader told me that over 75% of homes use LESS than 2000 gals of water a month!!! RIP-OFF!!!

And the streets look like a patchwork quilt, and they will be that way for years to come!

Oh, how I miss Long Beach!
think think think

Wadesboro, NC

#13 Dec 29, 2012
My sister and brother in law tried this. Jobs are scarce, rental expensive, utilities outrageous; I could go on and on. Won't say it cannot work but better have as some serious money saved. Just think first!
Dave L

Louisville, KY

#14 Oct 21, 2013
I am from Vermont. The same thing happened there. The rich & greedy from NY, NJ & MA discovered us, jacked the prices up, ruined it, then fled. This is thier "M.O.(Modus Operandi)" wherever they go! Avoid these greedy people like the plague if they come to your neighborhood to buy. Do not let them settle in. They don't want to fit in or assimilate, just chage things to suit teir greedy selves, then they complain when things go down hill and pull up stakes - on to the next conquest!
Jay-D

Charlotte, NC

#16 Jul 27, 2014
I've gone to oak island 25+ times a year for the past 20 years. Now my child goes with me. I must say the locals are some cocksuckers nowadays. High flute drunks. On the beach they embarrass themselves every time we go out. "We're locals" Who gives a shit??? Tourist pay your rent and tip your stupid ass when they eat lunch. Please pass this along to the oak island mayor, if possible. I'm a local in charlotte, won't be a dick here! Come visit anytime!!

Since: Jul 14

Charlotte, NC

#17 Jul 28, 2014
Well first of all let me say that OKI is my second home. I have been visiting there ever since I was a very small child and I am 51 years old now. I have seen a lot of changes take place. Some good and some not so good. In my opinion it's all in how you choose to react to it. Some of the comments here are negative and some positive. With the negative comments if you live there on the island wouldn't it be more productive to express your feelings and opinions in a more constructive way than to air it out on here? Take it to Town Hall. If you just visit from time to time you really don't have a dog in this fight.....just saying!
Winston-Salem NC

Lexington, NC

#18 Jul 29, 2014
While I appreciate your view, I'm really thankful I came across this forum. I've been down looking at lots and now it makes a lot more sense to me why there are so many abandoned homes on the island. My uncle is a builder and lives in Southport so he was going to build my home. We're not rich by any means and I knew about the sewer assessment, just not all the "special" assessments every year. Added to all the bickering and in-fighting among residents, what I thought looked like paradise now seems like a possible hell hole.
OakIslandGirl03 wrote:
Well first of all let me say that OKI is my second home. I have been visiting there ever since I was a very small child and I am 51 years old now. I have seen a lot of changes take place. Some good and some not so good. In my opinion it's all in how you choose to react to it. Some of the comments here are negative and some positive. With the negative comments if you live there on the island wouldn't it be more productive to express your feelings and opinions in a more constructive way than to air it out on here? Take it to Town Hall. If you just visit from time to time you really don't have a dog in this fight.....just saying!
Sophia

Lincolnton, NC

#19 Aug 1, 2014
Let the damn Yankees have it and fence them in!!!!!
Long Beach Dreamer

Ashburn, VA

#20 Sep 2, 2014
Sad, I have been keeping my eye on Long Beach since I left in 2001. Brunswick county will always be home to me. I always wanted a house in Long Beach or in Southport. It seems that my childhood dream may not happen. Southport and Oak Island have changed and not all for the better. It is cheaper to rent but that's not saying the rent is cheap lol.$1000+ a month for a decent place. There are not many to choose from either. Even less if you have pets. Not a very pet friendly rental area. Most jobs are going to be a commute. That doesn't bother me too much. As a healthcare worker, what bothers me are the lay offs and forced early retirement of Dosher hospital employees.
Sally

Waynesboro, VA

#21 Sep 10, 2014
I would say look elsewhere. A town council loaded with realtors and developers pushed through the sewer system so they could develop lots that wouldn't perk. Some of these losers are bankrupt or jailed. Now we're stuck with a sewer system covered with foreclosed homes as far as the eye can see. The town needs to restructure this debt, but don't count on it.
about had enough

Southport, NC

#22 Nov 4, 2014
OKI Resident wrote:
yes, the sewer tap is $4200, but a lot are already paid for and if you do find a home to purchase, simply put it in your agreement that the owners will pay prior to closing. My water bill has NEVER been above $125(summer only,$100 usually) including sewer costs and that is 2 bathrooms, washing the boat down each week, washing the beach chairs off, washing cars and having multiply families in the summer visiting. Not ALL the restaurants close in the winter, just a select few. Wind insurance on my $250,000 house is $1400 a year. EVERYONE I have met on the island is wonderful. So what if you have to commute to work...the trade off is a wonderful, non crowded beach and all the beauty to comes with it. I LOVE living here on the island!!!
I have not found insurance for wind and hail below $2700 with $2500 deductible per incident. The underwriter is the state of north Carolina, no insurance company will insure. The house is on pilings and worth $250k also. And if you own unimproved property the sewer district fee is over $700 a year (and rising) plus property taxes. Lot tax valued at $150k cost over $2000 a year in taxes and fees. In 1982 when I purchased, the total tax was $19.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Island Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Debate: Gay Marriage - Southport, NC (Jan '12) Mon . 15
yaupon/OKI pier Mar 11 Bill Gage 2
beware of lisa dawn tackett (Sep '10) Mar 9 KDMC 51
News One-Woman Protest Against Wal-Mart (May '07) Feb '15 angierobin 8
The homeless litterbug on Horse Island Feb '15 Ralph 1
Review: Al Fulford Heating and Air (Oct '12) Feb '15 Cupcakes 3
News 2 NHC men sentenced in $4.5 million bank fraud ... Feb '15 Teaser 1
Oak Island Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Oak Island People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]