Why do people treat coal miners like heroes?

Posted in the Oak Hill Forum

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 119 of119
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Level 2

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2013

growing up black in oak hill back in the 70's and 80's, that was pretty much the only job a black man could get. my grandaddy and all the other men in our community worked in the mines. they came home blacker than they were when they left, but i could never remember a time when they considered themselves heroes; just doing a job to feed the family. it takes a special kind of person to go to a job every day, knowing it may be their last day on earth, no matter what your job description is! sadly, most of those men either died of black lung, or were crushed/killed underground. most of those mines have been shut down for decades, and if you don't know somebody, its hard to get your foot in the door. i think that's where all the hating is coming from. people can't stand to see others have a good job, a family and nice things, while they are sitting at home living off momma.
just saying

Charleston, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 2, 2013

everyone who is lucky enough to have a job, whatever it may be, has a job to do. some jobs are more dangerous, some are more stressful, and some are more recognized than others. with that being said... i raise a toast to each and every one of you. to answer the original question as to why some people may think coal miners are treated like heroes, has to due with the unfortunate tragedies that have occurred over the last decade which was so highly televised that it raised awareness to the dangers miners face each day. unfortunately, the media {i feel} has cashed in on these tragic events which has made coal mining a highly recognized, highly debatable topic for the general public...thus the added attention and recognition of this line of work.
Wonton

Mount Lookout, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2013

bendrinking wrote:
carol your jast mad cause they dont make a sticker with your job on it so ill have one made for my car that says PILLS THEY KEEP THE BLUE LIGHTS ON
Holy crap that is funny!
scott

Uniontown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2013

im a coal miner and i never expected any extra attention. i go to work just like every person trying to support their family and i was in the military as well. i work in a low coal seam, roughly around 50 inches which doesnt sound as low as some other miner but im 6'1. the reason the job is so highly paid and respected is because of the fact thst for one it takes alot of nerve to enter in that hole everyday knowing that anything can happen at any second that can prevent you from ever seeing ur family again. yeah we do what we can to prevent things from happening but mother earth isnt always predictable. ive had a football field worth of roof cave in 10 feet from me on a pillar line and u hope it stops falling where u want it to but nothings ever guaranteed. and its so enclosed with such large machines running around that one lever sticking unexpectingly could be a brutal thing. as far as the mining clothes to and from work...yess its either for the attention or alot of ppl do it because they dont want their clothes anywhere near the mne, its a really dusty, dirty atmosphere even on the outside of the mine. clothes will get ruined quick.
drema

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 9, 2013

because they like to work, and not lay, on their butts and stay on walfare and enjoying beating and rapeing thrie kids while they stay high !!!!!! i'm from a coal mainer family !!!that supports you jurks, and by the way don't mail your smarts remarks, say what you got to say and save a stamp, that you must have stold to mail.it..to hum this may concern !!!!!!!!!!
cigratazz

Williamson, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2013

Judged:

I dont treat them like heroes. I treat them like the retards that most of them are. Most coal miners don't have a 10th grade education. They are ignorant. I cheer and laugh when I hear of miners getting crushed and getting killed in the mines. I think it's awesome! I LOVE it when mountains fall on coal miners! That's what we need more of!!!
Concrete jungle

Scott Depot, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2013

That is sick know one should talk like that . I own a landscaping bussnes I'm not a miner butt that is nothing to be clowning about. Karma police Gona get you mos def! GDP
Educated Guy

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 29, 2013

Judged:

Ok..I have to weigh in on coal miners. My father and grand father were both coal miners. I worked for a coal mine..but not as a miner, but as the company treasurer. Coal mining IS an honest job and a hard one at that. Coal operators, especially in the Beckley area, are a bunch of crooked and dishonest people. My experience with coal miners? I would say about 90% are ignorant, stupid red necks. Most likely they were also the bullies you remember from high school. As far as good money? Sure..it pays good..for West Virginia. In other states, you can make more money working retail, without having to risk your life and limb doing so. The entire coal mining culture in WV is truly sad. Work in the mines until you get black lung, raise a tribe or chain-smoking red neck kids that most likely end up on welfare. Is it no wonder WV leads the country in depression, heart disease, obesity, tooth decay and pretty much every other non-flattering list you can think of. Why anyone would WANT to stay in that depressing state is beyond me. I got out..and anyone who reads this should get out as well. There are so many more opportunities in this country than wasting your life away in God Forsaken Oak Hill. I will go back to visit every year or so and I see people that I grew up with that look at least 10 to 15 years older than I do....older than they should. When people live in a depressed state like WV they don't take care of themselves..they waste away prematurely. Also, the women in WV are very homely looking too. What passes as "hot" in Oak Hill would be rated as "skank" anywhere else. Just my opinion :P
Miner

Fayetteville, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2013

Educated Guy wrote:
Ok..I have to weigh in on coal miners. My father and grand father were both coal miners. I worked for a coal mine..but not as a miner, but as the company treasurer. Coal mining IS an honest job and a hard one at that. Coal operators, especially in the Beckley area, are a bunch of crooked and dishonest people. My experience with coal miners? I would say about 90% are ignorant, stupid red necks. Most likely they were also the bullies you remember from high school. As far as good money? Sure..it pays good..for West Virginia. In other states, you can make more money working retail, without having to risk your life and limb doing so. The entire coal mining culture in WV is truly sad. Work in the mines until you get black lung, raise a tribe or chain-smoking red neck kids that most likely end up on welfare. Is it no wonder WV leads the country in depression, heart disease, obesity, tooth decay and pretty much every other non-flattering list you can think of. Why anyone would WANT to stay in that depressing state is beyond me. I got out..and anyone who reads this should get out as well. There are so many more opportunities in this country than wasting your life away in God Forsaken Oak Hill. I will go back to visit every year or so and I see people that I grew up with that look at least 10 to 15 years older than I do....older than they should. When people live in a depressed state like WV they don't take care of themselves..they waste away prematurely. Also, the women in WV are very homely looking too. What passes as "hot" in Oak Hill would be rated as "skank" anywhere else. Just my opinion :P
Good thing you got out of WV because I sure would hate to see come back here and run that c@ck sucker of yours to some of them skanks and what you call retard coal miners because one of homely girls might just beat the hell out of ya while one of them cross eyed crazy miners who make over $100,000 a yr. with medical, eye and dental insurance might just f*ck ya up the a$$ at the same time.
I want to know

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Who cares wrote:
Wv coal does not keep our lights on... None of west virginias coal is consumed here... We get our power from hydroelectric stations.. Most of our coal goes to china or out of the state hence the huge barges full of coal going down the kanawha to the ohio to the gulf to the rest of the world.. I respect coal mining and it has made my family very wealthy.. But it is a candle almost burnt out as the epa is determined to abolish burning of fossil fuels... So get ready and get your kids in school so they can leave this junk and junkie filled place in their rearview...
I am an Engineer and do a lot of coal sales. You sir are an idiot! Much of our coal is sent out of the US, but not "Steam" coal. Most nations have coal deposits which they use for power generation giving no need for the import of a product without Cokeing properties. The reason our coal is sent out of the US is for the Met properties. Yes most countries have , and widely produce, coal, but few have coal of the quality needed for steel production. The reality is that the only coal leaving the US is either Met or PCI quality. Steel production is why there is a worldwide market for our coal not power generation. I know I may be way over your head, but don't make quotes you really know nothing about. Yes we may stop using coal for power generation, but our notion is not anywhere close to even being able to consider this for some time. As for Met/PCI products there is no solution for steel production without these products. So for anyone who has a car, drives over a bridge, walks into a shopping center, has a cell phone or computer, wears makeup, and about a thousand other products i don't have time to name, shut up and learn to love coal miners. For all the jack holes who read that list and get confused, please research how and what the use of cokeing byproducts are before making yourself look stupid.
A nice guy

Scott Depot, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 5, 2013

Red wrote:
Coal miners are dick heads. I ought to know because my brother is one.
lol no no no my good friend thats called being "BROTHERS" haha
Rhonda1962

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 6, 2013

My nephew is in Iraq , USMC their theme is 1 Shot, 1 Kill . So how many WV men and woman in the armed forces ? Now there's your hero's!
Wife

Oak Hill, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 16, 2013

I have a sticker that says coal miners wife,because I seen it in a store. They also make "military wife" stickers. It's not our fault they don't make ones that say "dr's wife, lineman's wife, truck driver's wife, CEO wife, etc. If they do, I haven't seen them. I'm sure you can find a site that will be happy to make you one to suit ur occupational needs.
Really

Beckley, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Judged:

I want to know wrote:
<quoted text>
I am an Engineer and do a lot of coal sales. You sir are an idiot! Much of our coal is sent out of the US, but not "Steam" coal. Most nations have coal deposits which they use for power generation giving no need for the import of a product without Cokeing properties. The reason our coal is sent out of the US is for the Met properties. Yes most countries have , and widely produce, coal, but few have coal of the quality needed for steel production. The reality is that the only coal leaving the US is either Met or PCI quality. Steel production is why there is a worldwide market for our coal not power generation. I know I may be way over your head, but don't make quotes you really know nothing about. Yes we may stop using coal for power generation, but our notion is not anywhere close to even being able to consider this for some time. As for Met/PCI products there is no solution for steel production without these products. So for anyone who has a car, drives over a bridge, walks into a shopping center, has a cell phone or computer, wears makeup, and about a thousand other products i don't have time to name, shut up and learn to love coal miners. For all the jack holes who read that list and get confused, please research how and what the use of cokeing byproducts are before making yourself look stupid.
Great post!
just saying

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

I agree to an extent carol but if u dont work in the mines ,its min wage,welfare,or retired.
your homo

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

cigratazz wrote:
I dont treat them like heroes. I treat them like the retards that most of them are. Most coal miners don't have a 10th grade education. They are ignorant. I cheer and laugh when I hear of miners getting crushed and getting killed in the mines. I think it's awesome! I LOVE it when mountains fall on coal miners! That's what we need more of!!!
f**k you. I wish I knew who u are. I'd knock u out and run u over again and again and again.
Mossy

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

Yea most of u just mad u must have a lazy man or can't get a job mining. It's nice to get out of high school go straight into the mines making 100k a year with no collage. So what are wives are proud of us. Will keep the lights on 4 u.
Mossy

Sioux City, IA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 18, 2013

cigratazz wrote:
u must be a sorry pill head get a job u sickooooi
Coal miners Wife

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2014

Red wrote:
Coal miners are dick heads. I ought to know because my brother is one.
just because your brother is a coal miner and a dickhead doesn't make all coal miners a dick head.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 119 of119
|
next page >
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

26 Users are viewing the Oak Hill Forum right now

Search the Oak Hill Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Contractors House Burns 7 min jennifer22 9
message for MDH 11 min her 13
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 26 min Billy 52,134
republic energy 3 hr ya right 13
Comac Becky Lewis 3 hr curious 9
not 4 hr So ur 3
where are u tiffany newman 5 hr Lobo 3
•••
•••
•••
Oak Hill Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Oak Hill Jobs