Why do people treat coal miners like ...

Why do people treat coal miners like heroes?

Posted in the Oak Hill Forum

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Carol

Glasgow, WV

#1 Dec 25, 2012
First off before anyone say's anything, I'm not a hippie. I'm not a tree hugger or Obama supporter.

But why do people act like miners are heroes? People cheer them on. People get signs like "coal miner's wife". Why would a coal miner's wife be more proud than any other working man's wife?

I don't know anyone who got into coal for anything other than money.

And there's nothing wrong with that.

But why idolize them like they're doctors, firefighters, etc?
Carl

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Dec 26, 2012
Because a majority of people in West Virginia are retarded.
zappy

Beckley, WV

#3 Dec 26, 2012
Carol wrote:
First off before anyone say's anything, I'm not a hippie. I'm not a tree hugger or Obama supporter.
But why do people act like miners are heroes? People cheer them on. People get signs like "coal miner's wife". Why would a coal miner's wife be more proud than any other working man's wife?
I have no idea why a coal miner is considered better than everyone else here in WV. And I see coal miners strutting around in their work outfits even when they aren't working. They look ridiculous! What is the matter with West Virginians? I've lived here all my life and still can't figure this out.
1 post removed
Pam

Columbus, OH

#5 Dec 26, 2012
It's true, they have a hard, dangerous job, but so do utility linemen, police officers, EMS workers, firemen, etc. I think a lot of it gets started after a disaster, such as Upper Big Branch, where the industry gets a lot of attention, and some just keep playing on that...and some get a little carried away.
Coal miners daughter

Montgomery, WV

#6 Dec 26, 2012
My hero is a coal miner! Every man in my family is a coal miner and there isn't anything wrong with it! AT least they work and don't expect the state to take care of them! I have VERY HIGH RESPECT for any coal miner!!! No one in my family goes around in their mining clothes or has their trucks covered in coal mining decals. They are hard workers that goes to work everyday with a mountain on their head. I do respect police officers, firefighters, miltary men and women, loggers,truck drivers, plant workers and utility workers!! Just they way I see it is even if they made a penny an hour I would still respect them!!!Also what's the difference if a coal miner does stop in a gas station or wal mart before or after work in thier uniform. What about anyone else that goes places in thier uniforms? At least They are covered they don't have body parts hanging out that no one wants to see!
just saying

Glenwood, WV

#7 Dec 26, 2012
Its cslled being proud of what u do and have achieved just like anyother that put stickers or plates on their vehicles about their job. Yes I will stop at a gas station or any other store if its on my way home and you feel free to do the same on your way home from your job and to everyone who cries about this grow up how does either of these things really affect you put pill pics on your back glass or whatever your into but dont hate on a man for being a hard worker
Red

Decatur, IN

#8 Dec 26, 2012
Coal miners are dick heads. I ought to know because my brother is one.
just saying

Chicago, IL

#9 Dec 26, 2012
Thats the same thing the 30 families thought when our mine pulled together and bought Christmas for their kids who wouldnt have had christmas otherwise
1 post removed
OMG

Summersville, WV

#11 Dec 26, 2012
Well I love my coal miner he works hard and makes damn good money. He doesn't act any different than anyone else; at least he works for a living instead of collecting a check from the state. If you can't respect a working man then you must not be a hard working person yourself!
bendrinking

Oak Hill, WV

#12 Dec 26, 2012
carol your jast mad cause they dont make a sticker with your job on it so ill have one made for my car that says PILLS THEY KEEP THE BLUE LIGHTS ON
Carol

Glasgow, WV

#13 Dec 26, 2012
I do respect working men, why are you people getting so defensive?

I just don't get why they're heroes and people brag about being coal miner's wives, etc.

It's not any more noble than any other job,they just make better money.
Hello

Mount Hope, WV

#14 Dec 26, 2012
Because they risk their lives everyday to keep your lights on. I think that's pretty close in running with a fireman. No offensw, juat my opinion.
Carol wrote:
get real

Summersville, WV

#15 Dec 26, 2012
Hello wrote:
Because they risk their lives everyday to keep your lights on. I think that's pretty close in running with a fireman. No offensw, juat my opinion.
<quoted text>
Sorry but they don't risk their lives to keep my lights on, they work as a coal miner to make that big money. And no, they're not even near in running with a fireman. Sorry, but miners do it for the money plain and simple. I have had miners in my family and have known miners all my life and never the first time did any of them say it was to keep our lights on.... it was because the money was good, plain and simple!
Miner

Oak Hill, WV

#16 Dec 26, 2012
I am a miner. I stop in stores on my way to work and on my way home. Last time I check Its a free country. My job requires office work and somtimes work underground. I do not always get dirty. There is alot of Miners that work in the office that wear there mining clothes that dont even get dirty.
maybe these miners that you see struting around might be the miners that work in a office. Or maybe they are getting off work after 12 or 14 hrs and picking stuff up from the store. But it really piss's me off somone this stupid would start a topic like this. I didnt know America Had a Dress Code. Just like people Do not want God in schools!!!
thats what you People remind me of. yes I have Miner stickers on my truck and car so what, if you dont like it then mind your own dam busniess. Sounds Like These People are so jelous they can't see straight, My job pays my bill's Pays for my kids clothes, There toys for christmas, Birthdays,
food. Roof over there head and a nice Safe Car.
and a nice 401k retirement. So while your still on here bit*hing about miners i spoke my mind and I have a family to attend to and not waste no more time of what your thinking about a coal miner. if your that jelous go work in a coal mine yourself
and quit living off a state check or welfare that the coal miners pay for!! later looser's
Hello

Mount Hope, WV

#17 Dec 26, 2012
So what, they still risk their lives. Everyone works for the money, lol.
get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but they don't risk their lives to keep my lights on, they work as a coal miner to make that big money. And no, they're not even near in running with a fireman. Sorry, but miners do it for the money plain and simple. I have had miners in my family and have known miners all my life and never the first time did any of them say it was to keep our lights on.... it was because the money was good, plain and simple!
Les

Beckley, WV

#18 Dec 26, 2012
Well "Carol", if that's your real name. You must not know anyone in the mining industry or would understand. They start their day while you are just starting to get into a deep sleep. Then their day is over about the time you are going back to your comfy bed. They rarely get to see their family's, children or some even their own bed except on the weekends. They work in every type of weather. 100 plus heat,freezing rain, blizzards, pouring rain, wind, sleet...you get it. No, they are not the only ones who do this. State road workers, linemen, etc..have these type jobs as well.They should all be commended for having a job, period! What does your husband/wife do for a living? Just curious.
Hello

Mount Hope, WV

#19 Dec 26, 2012
Also wanted to add i was answering the question that was asked. Why do people treat coal miners like heroes? Because their job is very dangerous. Just because they do it for the money doesn't mean we should praise them any less.
Hello wrote:
So what, they still risk their lives. Everyone works for the money, lol.
<quoted text>
hmm

Summersville, WV

#20 Dec 26, 2012
Have I have read all this and nobody has said anything about are military over seas, yeh I bet coal is just as hard huh, and are veterans get no praise but coal miners people kiss there ass...
sheez

Oak Hill, WV

#21 Dec 26, 2012
if they bother you people that bad how about when your out one day and make these remarks to a coal miner. Or are you to afraid what will happen. I figured you would be to afraid of getting your own foot shoved in your azz..
just saying

Chicago, IL

#22 Dec 26, 2012
hmm wrote:
Have I have read all this and nobody has said anything about are military over seas, yeh I bet coal is just as hard huh, and are veterans get no praise but coal miners people kiss there ass...
im a veteran of foreign war also so you probly shouldnt asume we dont care about the miltary

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dirty Old Man's Sister BUSTED for Child Neglect 1 hr Poor Kid 1
WOAY Building Haunted 1 hr naysayer 2
sam escue 1 hr bad tatts 30
Let's Play One Word,...!!! (Mar '13) 3 hr End Times 1,626
steven toney 15 hr Lauren 4
WOAY History 15 hr gun owner 17
trouble makers 20 hr Diggler 2
More from around the web

Oak Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE