Kroger meat department

Posted in the Oak Hill Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

Beckley, WV

#1 Apr 27, 2012
What's up with Kroger's meat department? I go in there after work around 5 and there isn't even hamburger in the case! I have noticed more and more that they are out of chicken and have empty spaces all over the case, and bloody paper in the bottom.

They need a new manager at that store! I hate to go to Wal Mart for meat for dinner because Kroger isn't taking care of business!
Not the Village Idiot

Mount Hope, WV

#2 Apr 28, 2012
Do you really think Topix is the best place to get an answer to your question, "What's up with the Kroger's meat department?" You know very well you're not actually seeking an answer here. If you really wanted an answer, you would have called the store manager and asked him. Also, you could have called their customers relations department in Cincinnati.

Out of curiosity, what kind of chicken and hamburger are you looking for? I've always found an abundance of chicken and hamburger at Kroger's.
Really

Beckley, WV

#3 Apr 28, 2012
You are obviously one of the managers or related to one of them. Topix is the perfect place to see if anybody else has noticed the problems in the meat department at Kroger.

I can find what I want in product, deli, and the grocery section, but when I get to the meat section it looks like they are going out of business or something.

The cases have maybe one package of meat with bloody paper under it. This didn't used to happen and I want it to change cause I would rather shop there than Wal Mart, but I usually wind up going there anyway because they are out of whole chickens or the steaks they have on sale, or rolls of ground beef.

It's the worst in the evenings and on the weekends. I have complained to the manager and even sent an e-mail to customer service but it hasn't helped.
Not the Village Idiot

Mount Hope, WV

#4 Apr 28, 2012
Dear "Really," I am not an employee of Kroger's. I have no friends or relatives employed by Kroger's. I am an ordinary consumer and frequent customer of Kroger's. I have never known the meat department to have the appearance of a store going out of business. I have never seen bloody paper under any package of meat.

My only disappointment with Kroger's is that on two occasions, fresh salmon steaks were not available in the evening. I just asked for a rain check and was able to purchase them at the sale price the next time I was in the store. I certainly did not voice my complaint on Topix just because I couldn't have what I wanted when I wanted it.

It's only 46 degrees and raining today. Will your next complaint be about the weather not being to your liking?
Really

Beckley, WV

#5 Apr 28, 2012
Dear "You are the village idiot",

Bite me
1 post removed

“Score Keeper Score Keeper”

Level 7

Since: Dec 11

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#7 May 8, 2012
Go to Tonys Meats in Beckley. Better meats, usually cheaper, and you know what you are getting. Stopped buying meats at any grocery store because they have dyes, hormones, and Lord only knows what unless you can afford 9 dollars a pound for Bison.I do go to Krogers for about everything else though.
Checkout

Beckley, WV

#8 May 8, 2012
Look at Foodland meats. Ick! That place is selling brown and green crap. I seriously hope nobody is buying that crap.
Edith Hawthorne

Cabin Creek, WV

#9 May 8, 2012
I was just there today and the whole display was full of chicken. As for the hamburger, they always have the rolls in stock, but if you want the fresh store ground packs, you need to get there early because it's ground once a day. Asked the butcher myself.
Edith Hawthorne

Cabin Creek, WV

#10 May 8, 2012
I hope no one is eating meat from Wal-Mart. We call it "embalmed meat" I've seen hamburger dated for 10 day ahead. My hubby was a butcher for 35 years and NO kind of fresh meat is good for almost 2 weeks. Plus over 30% of it is pink slime.

Level 7

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#11 May 9, 2012
Edith Hawthorne wrote:
I hope no one is eating meat from Wal-Mart. We call it "embalmed meat" I've seen hamburger dated for 10 day ahead. My hubby was a butcher for 35 years and NO kind of fresh meat is good for almost 2 weeks. Plus over 30% of it is pink slime.
I bought some hamburger there a few years ago, put it in the freezer and the meat stayed bright blood red it had so much dye in it, that was it for me ever buying meat there again.I think they put some kind of gas in the packages also for, ahem, freshness.
Agree

Beckley, WV

#12 May 9, 2012
I totally agree with all the comments about the ground beef at Wal Mart.... Kroger meat is very fresh and tastes fresh. I have noticed for many years about the Wally World hamburger. First off, it ALL comes frozen. It is then thawed on the shelves.... then most likely frozen again once brought home. Isnt that against safe handling methods? I worked for many years in the restaurant business and I know that is against safe handling procedures. Wow... I have not purchased meat from Wal Mart in years, and I will stay purchasing at Krogers. I have also purchased rotten smelling and tasting chicken legs at Wal Mart. The dates were correct, but it WAS rotten and had to be thrown away.
1 post removed
Kris

New York, NY

#14 May 9, 2012
Can anyone give me more info on Tony's Meats?

Level 7

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#15 May 9, 2012
Kris wrote:
Can anyone give me more info on Tony's Meats?
It's on Farmers Market road, sign there, dirt road down to it.

Level 7

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#16 May 9, 2012
Behind the Doctor Pepper Plant.
Kris

New York, NY

#17 May 9, 2012
Are the prices comparable to regular grocery stores? Any organic meat selection? Hoping to find a healthier alternative to the slime shit that WalMart & other mass retailers are selling.

Level 7

SCORE KEEPER !!!!!!!

#18 May 9, 2012
Kris wrote:
Are the prices comparable to regular grocery stores? Any organic meat selection? Hoping to find a healthier alternative to the slime shit that WalMart & other mass retailers are selling.
They say no hormones are in their meats. Prices are about the same, some things are cheaper, but they have specials. Meat sure is better. Make their own sausage too, breakfast sausage and Italian sausage.
Birddog

Mount Hope, WV

#19 May 9, 2012
Score Keeper The Greatest wrote:
<quoted text>They say no hormones are in their meats. Prices are about the same, some things are cheaper, but they have specials. Meat sure is better. Make their own sausage too, breakfast sausage and Italian sausage.
Try the unfrozen hamburger logs from Walmart. They come from Canada and have never contained the pink slime.
Crowded Shorts

United States

#20 May 9, 2012
I got plenty of meat, no need for somebody else's!!
lol

Charleston, WV

#21 May 9, 2012
This thread isn't about "cocktail weenies."
Bruce

Cabin Creek, WV

#22 May 10, 2012
Was at Tony's meat market today and they are much cheaper than Kroger or Wal-Mart. I got 2 packs of pork chops, 2 packs of ground round, a huge roast and 4 Rib eyes for less than 50 bucks. First time I've ever been there and now I won't shop anywhere else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 4 hr Dalai Lama 58,912
Samantha Legg (Aug '12) 4 hr DMC 60
annexation of oak hill and minden 5 hr butter 81
hollie tygrett 6 hr truth2 12
Word of the Day (Mar '12) 6 hr Crazy Jae 1,099
Let's Play One Word,...!!! (Mar '13) 6 hr Crazy Jae 1,372
Game of Three Words,... (Aug '13) 6 hr Crazy Jae 972

Oak Hill Jobs

Oak Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Oak Hill News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Oak Hill

Personal Finance