Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#123 Jul 23, 2011
all legend. none of this is accurate. simon chaple is the one and only suspect in these killings. he died ranting a raving about 'the reds' and kennedy. this was close friend of mine's thesis project. the case is will never resolve and simon chaple is dead, end of story.

he admitted everything and defended himself by saying everyone he killed was a commie out to kill him, and that it was self defense and yet, there was evidence that two of the victims had parts with bites taken out of them. the rest of the story is pretty shadey and there isn't much documentation. the police were helpless.
Read It

Beckley, WV

#124 Jul 30, 2011
I read two paperback books from the Raleigh County Library about unsolved murders and what not. They are awesome and the Butcher Murders story is in it too. Check it out. You wouldnt believe the stuff that happened years ago and around here to beat it all.
native

Oak Hill, WV

#125 Jul 31, 2011
Read It wrote:
I read two paperback books from the Raleigh County Library about unsolved murders and what not. They are awesome and the Butcher Murders story is in it too. Check it out. You wouldnt believe the stuff that happened years ago and around here to beat it all.
yes, I would. I am almost 60 years old and grew up here and lived through all this stuff.
REMIX

Jersey City, NJ

#126 Aug 2, 2011
cool

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#127 Aug 2, 2011
People have been killing people all over the world since the dawn of man. It is interesting to think about a sleepy old community like Oak Hill having a serial murderer. From what I've read, it changed people a lot. Doors started getting locked every night and people kept their kids in sight.
amanda

Oak Hill, WV

#128 Aug 2, 2011
curious wrote:
Where was the Lights store located in Oak Hill and the Nottinghams house.I don't know a lot about the old Oak Hill area? I also have wondered about the old boarding house location? My heart is so conflicted about even talking about this topic ,going on only things that seem not right and hunches,and items that were found in cleaning process,her stories and no solid things to back all my questions,just things that seem to "fit" together to form a puzzle.I would never want to open old wounds and pain.I am just overwhelmed with a feeling of "what if" and a resolve to try and see what taunted this lady her entire life.I owe her this much to try.
....

i know harold and melody bragg i went to school with their son Morgan and used to live across the street from them in glen jean they now live over in beckley... not sure where but in raleigh county! ill see what i can find out!
amanda

Oak Hill, WV

#129 Aug 2, 2011
oh and his name isnt harold its George bragg their son Morgan is now a Police Officer

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#130 Aug 2, 2011
The Mad Butcher murders of WV surrounded a diner in Oak Hill called The Four Minute Lunch. The serial killer guilty of these crimes was also linked to murders in Texas and Ohio by the FBI. It is believed to be Simon Chapple but he could never be linked enough to prosecute. He is supposedly dead now and died in an asylum in Ohio.

From having read the evidence against him, I believe wholeheartedly he was the guilty party having been proven to have been in the areas where all the murders and disappearances took place during the time they took place. He was a regular at the Four Minute Lunch and lived down in the London/Gauley Bridge area.
Mike R

Bob White, WV

#131 Aug 7, 2011
Beowulf54 wrote:
The Mad Butcher murders of WV surrounded a diner in Oak Hill called The Four Minute Lunch. The serial killer guilty of these crimes was also linked to murders in Texas and Ohio by the FBI. It is believed to be Simon Chapple but he could never be linked enough to prosecute. He is supposedly dead now and died in an asylum in Ohio.
From having read the evidence against him, I believe wholeheartedly he was the guilty party having been proven to have been in the areas where all the murders and disappearances took place during the time they took place. He was a regular at the Four Minute Lunch and lived down in the London/Gauley Bridge area.
Simon Chapple is a pseudonym dude. Re-read the Unsolved Murders book. George Bragg even makes mention of this TWICE. Once about concealing suspect identities. The second in his conclusion about the primary suspect, in which he says the name is prominent to Fayette County and has family in State politics and police. Simon Chapple's real name is Hugh Montgomery, who's family founded Montgomery. Whenever you are reading of Simon Chapple? It's actually Hugh Montgomery.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#132 Aug 8, 2011
Mike R wrote:
<quoted text>
Simon Chapple is a pseudonym dude. Re-read the Unsolved Murders book. George Bragg even makes mention of this TWICE. Once about concealing suspect identities. The second in his conclusion about the primary suspect, in which he says the name is prominent to Fayette County and has family in State politics and police. Simon Chapple's real name is Hugh Montgomery, who's family founded Montgomery. Whenever you are reading of Simon Chapple? It's actually Hugh Montgomery.
Yes, probably due to the fact that the author didn't want to be sued because 'Simon Chapple' was never proven to be the culprit. It is just highly likely that he was the killer. Though they never explain why they use pseudonyms, that is just most likely the reason.

The point is not the real identity of the pseudonym, but that the case is considered unsolvable because 'Simon Chapple' confessed but nobody knows whether his confession was insanity or insanity made him kill the people. It's a very strange tale.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#133 Aug 8, 2011
Also, it might be worthy to note that the book mentioned was published in Glen Jean WV and its contents are contested as inaccurate. It's basically all legend. In fact, one of the victims listed in the book is thought to be alive and well in Chicago.

I really don't know the real identity of 'Simon Chapple'. It has been said on Topix in several different posts that it is Hugh Montgomery but I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere. All that is fact about the case is the FBI believes that the assailant was one person in several different states and that the murders stopped when this guy confessed and was put into an insane asylum.

Yes, it is suspicious that charges were never brought on the person. But the case is basically unsolvable since DNA and many new science evidence abilities were not available at the time. The details are sketchy and all that remains are archived newspaper articles and local's memories to piece it together with.

It does make one heck of a scary story to tell. But I don't think I would put much stock into a book published from home. That book just gives a round about idea surrounding the actual facts and plays loose with the truth.
littlebelle

Pratt, WV

#134 Aug 26, 2011
Beowulf54 wrote:
Also, it might be worthy to note that the book mentioned was published in Glen Jean WV and its contents are contested as inaccurate. It's basically all legend. In fact, one of the victims listed in the book is thought to be alive and well in Chicago.
I really don't know the real identity of 'Simon Chapple'. It has been said on Topix in several different posts that it is Hugh Montgomery but I haven't been able to confirm that anywhere. All that is fact about the case is the FBI believes that the assailant was one person in several different states and that the murders stopped when this guy confessed and was put into an insane asylum.
Yes, it is suspicious that charges were never brought on the person. But the case is basically unsolvable since DNA and many new science evidence abilities were not available at the time. The details are sketchy and all that remains are archived newspaper articles and local's memories to piece it together with.
It does make one heck of a scary story to tell. But I don't think I would put much stock into a book published from home. That book just gives a round about idea surrounding the actual facts and plays loose with the truth.
go check the old newspapers in the archives department at the cultural center. you don't put much stock in a book published from home? you mean their ( the bragg's) home? or west virginia? what makes you the expert? just asking. you sound like you know so much.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#135 Aug 26, 2011
littlebelle wrote:
<quoted text>
go check the old newspapers in the archives department at the cultural center. you don't put much stock in a book published from home? you mean their ( the bragg's) home? or west virginia? what makes you the expert? just asking. you sound like you know so much.
I do put stock into the Bragg's book because it is based on the newspaper articles. I didn't mean they were lying. What I meant was a lot of information in the papers linked crimes to the Mad Butcher but the FBI later discounted the links. There are really only 3 factually linked murders. The papers were releasing initial information and never recanted when the FBI later thought that one fellow in the Bragg's book was involved in a bar fight and hit by a car as he walked home. Another victim in the book is believed to be alive in Chicago. So the Bragg's did research it well because the papers linked the crimes, but nobody is really sure about a few of the victims in the Bragg's book.

I did not intend to insult them. Just upon an interest in crime, I looked into it and there are some discrepancies. However, all the articles in old newspapers do link a lot of crimes in that time period to the Butcher when in fact, they were unrelated. To get down to the nuts and bolts, everyone was scared and when bad things happened it was automatically linked to the Butcher. A lot of the Butcher stories are more legend than fact.

My opinion is that 'Simon Chapple' was in fact The Mad Butcher but he had a copy cat that was active into the early 70's.
FYI

Huntington, WV

#136 Aug 26, 2011
I remember being a kid in the early to mid 90's that it was said that the mad butcher had gotten out of the hospital and was heading back to Fayette County, does anyone remember that??

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#137 Aug 27, 2011
FYI wrote:
I remember being a kid in the early to mid 90's that it was said that the mad butcher had gotten out of the hospital and was heading back to Fayette County, does anyone remember that??
Well, I know even in the 70's there were rumors and ghost stories that came from the events. I remember every disappearance or murder in WV people would tell the kids it was The Mad Butcher. I think it became a ghost story type of thing that carries on to this day.

I heard so many things when I was a child that it is hard to say what was true and what was legend. It is probably one of the creepiest things to ever happen in the area.
littlebelle

Pratt, WV

#138 Aug 27, 2011
Beowulf54 wrote:
<quoted text>
I do put stock into the Bragg's book because it is based on the newspaper articles. I didn't mean they were lying. What I meant was a lot of information in the papers linked crimes to the Mad Butcher but the FBI later discounted the links. There are really only 3 factually linked murders. The papers were releasing initial information and never recanted when the FBI later thought that one fellow in the Bragg's book was involved in a bar fight and hit by a car as he walked home. Another victim in the book is believed to be alive in Chicago. So the Bragg's did research it well because the papers linked the crimes, but nobody is really sure about a few of the victims in the Bragg's book.
I did not intend to insult them. Just upon an interest in crime, I looked into it and there are some discrepancies. However, all the articles in old newspapers do link a lot of crimes in that time period to the Butcher when in fact, they were unrelated. To get down to the nuts and bolts, everyone was scared and when bad things happened it was automatically linked to the Butcher. A lot of the Butcher stories are more legend than fact.
My opinion is that 'Simon Chapple' was in fact The Mad Butcher but he had a copy cat that was active into the early 70's.
i see what you are saying. i read some articles from the archives. weird stuff. the papers do have a tendency to sensationalize.
hey, would you be refering to that guy at gauley bridge that lived out in the boonies and the police found body parts some cooking on the stove) and at least one whole body in his house. this happened between the spring/summer of 1972 and the late summer of 1975. my mother told be about this.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#139 Aug 27, 2011
littlebelle wrote:
<quoted text>
i see what you are saying. i read some articles from the archives. weird stuff. the papers do have a tendency to sensationalize.
hey, would you be refering to that guy at gauley bridge that lived out in the boonies and the police found body parts some cooking on the stove) and at least one whole body in his house. this happened between the spring/summer of 1972 and the late summer of 1975. my mother told be about this.
I will have to look into that. I know there was a body discovered in the 70's down around Montgomery and it was discarded along the road. Very similar to the Butcher's style. And there were some happenings in that area that resembled the Butcher, but I am unsure as to the details. I know some people have linked some Northern WV stuff to the Butcher's style too and that was from 70 - 73. I believe the FBI excuses that as a copy cat but they remain unsolved.

So the real question here is, did 'Simon Chapple' have a partner or did he have a copy cat? It is very intriguing because WV really doesn't have a history with serial killers. OR, is it that the FBI didn't do a good job linking these crimes and WV has had at least two or three?
Mister

AOL

#140 Aug 27, 2011
quite a few years ago, Bill Lairds uncle or cousin escaped from a nervous hospital,it was reported and law was very nervous about this because they suspected he was the butcher,This I heard from the police chief.and was part of the bolo. That is a FACT! no matter what you guys say after this post I do know what I heard and was no lie. At that time I was a person in the know on matters like this.
lived with mike rogers

Charleston, WV

#141 Aug 27, 2011
i would like to talk to curious ,that talks about a women that died and left him in charge of her estate.he thinks it was some one else that was the mad butcher.maybe there where 2
littlebelle

Pratt, WV

#142 Aug 28, 2011
Beowulf54 wrote:
<quoted text>
I will have to look into that. I know there was a body discovered in the 70's down around Montgomery and it was discarded along the road. Very similar to the Butcher's style. And there were some happenings in that area that resembled the Butcher, but I am unsure as to the details. I know some people have linked some Northern WV stuff to the Butcher's style too and that was from 70 - 73. I believe the FBI excuses that as a copy cat but they remain unsolved.
So the real question here is, did 'Simon Chapple' have a partner or did he have a copy cat? It is very intriguing because WV really doesn't have a history with serial killers. OR, is it that the FBI didn't do a good job linking these crimes and WV has had at least two or three?
wow, i didn't know about those. that does raise some questions. it makes you wonder doesn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
drug dealers beware 16 min Minden at nite 26
Delfino's Pizza 1 hr Observer 1
Vote YES for the school bond. 4 hr FromFayetteco 50
Zack NEIL Woodson 11 hr Justice 7
Melissa Dorsey- Missy 13 hr Mike 8
collins lock down 23 hr weird news 4
Bars Fri Thirsty 4
More from around the web

Oak Hill People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]