Cruel and Unusual Punishment or Justice Served?

Dec 8, 2012 Full story: www.wvnstv.com 9

Posted: Dec 07, 2012 5:36 PM EST Updated: Dec 07, 2012 5:36 PM EST

By Annie Moore, Reporter - email

A Fayette County woman is sentenced to wear a sandwich sign saying she is a welfare thief outside the county court house.

Candi Keith, 27, failed to disclose spousal income after signing up for welfare assistance earlier this year, her probation officer Jonathan Kessler said Friday.

When her crime was discovered, he said she was ordered by Fayette County Judge John Hatcher to serve hard time.

But according to Kesler, Keith was given another option because she had two young children at home: do the time or wear the sign.

She chose the sign.

Onlooker Mike Walbrown supports the move. "Commit the crime, pay the time."

But while some say the sign fits the crime, others say it stigmatizes convicts beyond recovery.

"If it's going to keep others from doing it, then maybe it's the right thing to do. But to say it's cruel? I just don't know. I just want to know what works," adds onlooker Kenny Parsons.

Read more
Justice Served

Summersville, WV

#1 Dec 8, 2012
Maybe some of the others out there committing welfare fraud will think twice and heed this warning!

As far as the quote 'stigmatizes convicts beyond recovery.' They should have thought about that BEFORE committing the crime.
wanda

Oak Hill, WV

#2 Dec 8, 2012
does she live on terry ave??? how long she going to do this??
Justice Served

Summersville, WV

#3 Dec 8, 2012
wanda wrote:
does she live on terry ave??? how long she going to do this??
The article didn't indicate how long she had to do this. If I know Judge Hatcher, she didn't get off easy and may have to do this for some time.
Average Citizen

Fayetteville, WV

#4 Dec 8, 2012
Tom Woodrum was the biggest thief of public funds in the history of Fayette County. He stole $54,000 of public funds while being the chief tax deputy in the sheriff's office. His sentence was only a lenient 90 days of prison time. Tom Woodrum should have been ordered to wear a sandwich sign that said "I am a thief. I stole YOUR tax money!" Considering the severity and boldness of his crime, he should have been ordered to wear the sign in front of the court house day after day for all of his 90 day sentence.
another average citizen

Mount Hope, WV

#5 Dec 8, 2012
You are so on target with your comment; what is outrageous and a slap in the face of every citizen is the fact that Mrs. Woodrum continues in her job in the Courthouse; you know she is a probation officer and her reports help the judge to determine sentencing. If she condones theft by her husband, what does that say for her character?
another average citizen

Mount Hope, WV

#6 Dec 8, 2012
and then Karen Brandstetter gets 120 days of jail time? and Judge Hatcher is harsh? the Fayette County judicial system is a broken joke. Judge Hatcher won't be reading these comments though, because he believes social media is an "abomination". What a great and powerful Wizard of Oz we have on the bench!
Pity

Summersville, WV

#7 Dec 8, 2012
Average Citizen wrote:
Tom Woodrum was the biggest thief of public funds in the history of Fayette County. He stole $54,000 of public funds while being the chief tax deputy in the sheriff's office. His sentence was only a lenient 90 days of prison time. Tom Woodrum should have been ordered to wear a sandwich sign that said "I am a thief. I stole YOUR tax money!" Considering the severity and boldness of his crime, he should have been ordered to wear the sign in front of the court house day after day for all of his 90 day sentence.
Too bad he didn't have Judge Hatcher on his a$$. Hatcher is tough... but fair.

“Do unto others before”

Since: Apr 10

They do unto you

#8 Dec 8, 2012
somebody needs to take some pics of this and post them here.
we all could use a good laff or two.
kookie

Fayetteville, WV

#9 Dec 8, 2012
I have the greatest respect for Judge Hatcher. Prior to his appointment and subsequent election to the bench, he demonstrated integrity and good morals when he refused to represent drunk drivers.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Oak Hill is a great community and has so much t... 21 min LadyLove 3
Neck Of Red 43 min LadyLove 20
Mike Myles and robin 2 hr Wow 9
Pretty girl 5 hr Pekaboo 10
Pregnant teens? 5 hr Team 1
I'm looking for my first job 5 hr Billy Bob 19
Dirty Rotten Old Man Done Got Caught Slandering... 6 hr DIRTY ROTTEN OLD MAN 23
Oak Hill Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web