8 students suspended after fight at O...

8 students suspended after fight at Oak Hill High School

There are 23 comments on the Register-herald.com story from Sep 14, 2007, titled 8 students suspended after fight at Oak Hill High School. In it, Register-herald.com reports that:

“You never know how these things can escalate. We hope everybody settles down and moves on.”

A melee at Oak Hill High School this week left eight students suspended and police facing extra duty on the campus to make sure normalcy reigns when classes resume Monday. via Register-herald.com

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Register-herald.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“Last Smoke @ 5:30a.m 9-11-07”

Since: Sep 07

Up All Night In Oak Hill, WV

#1 Sep 17, 2007
I've heard that this broke out due to what happened to Megan Williams. Can't say if it's true or not just what I heard that is was a racial riot starting.
britt2008

Grundy, VA

#2 Mar 2, 2009
It was a racial fight. I don't remember exactly what happend beacuse I was in the gym when it broke out in the lunch room. I think it was something about a white kid calling a black kid the "n" word. It was a total war for a bout a week or two. What are you talking about what happend with Megan Williams?
wow

United States

#3 Aug 29, 2009
yeah, Ashley Adkins told me it was real bad, ppl getting searched and like total lockdown for a while
wow

United States

#4 Aug 29, 2009
course thats just what she told me
dean

Oak Hill, WV

#5 Aug 31, 2009
what you think would happen if all the kids from mt.hope,fayetteville,midland, oak hill were put in one school
larry

Bastrop, TX

#6 Aug 31, 2009
well I think it would be better than moving fayetteviile and mount hope into the existing oak hill high school.regardless mount hope is moving into oak hill anyway so it would be better for a much larger school with more room and 10 times the classes and athlitics and clubs to keep these kids out of trouble.
dean

Oak Hill, WV

#7 Aug 31, 2009
what about the kids from mount hope who cant affoed a ride for all these extra activities,,,,anybody ever stop to think about that??????????
Fred

Sophia, WV

#8 Aug 31, 2009
Good point. That would apply for all surrounding areas including Pax and the Midland Trail area. It would be a lot of extra expense for the students and the parents.
Gas is going to get a lot more expensive if and when the economy improves. Of course the BOE members would rather not talk about that. Those school buses use a lot of gas.
Larry

Bastrop, TX

#9 Aug 31, 2009
they are implamenting activity buses for all of these after school activities like nicholas county has.check with schools like webster co or pocahantus co that travel a lot futher than any of our kids in fayette co
Fred

Sophia, WV

#10 Aug 31, 2009
FYI. I don't have the slightest interest in Nicholas, Webster or Pocahontas Counties.
joe

Beckley, WV

#11 Aug 31, 2009
Fred,I have been watching your comments as well as someone named sally on here and personally i dont think either one of you care about anything but yourselves and putting down others.You are just some of those people that like stiring up things just to be doing something.If you dont want to vote for this bond to help our kids thats ok,but dont critisize something that you dont have a clue what you are talking about just to make it seem so bad.if you really want to help our school system say a prayer that god will help us do the right thing.everyone has their own opinions but few have the True Facts.If you had to pay for all of the schools in fayette county yourself,would you have 23 rundown schools,NO! you would try and put some of them together in a better cost effeciant facility to save money.would you spend $1000 over 25 years or less to make 48 million for youself?YES.So dont be so negative about everything.I dont think the plan the county boe has is a good one either however it sure does beat the one the state boe has and will probably cost us less by passing this bond.the only reason that steve bush changed his mind about this bond is because he is up for re-election and has the district with the most voters in it and he was afraid that he wouldnt get re-elected.
Fred

Sophia, WV

#12 Aug 31, 2009
Let me get this straight. You want me to ask god how I should vote?
JOE B

Bastrop, TX

#13 Sep 1, 2009
Hey fred look into todays paper at all the west test scores for Fayette county as well as others and you say we dont need to get with the 21st century.This bond will bring great education as well as 21st century technology to Fayette county like it has in Raleigh and other counties.All of you over there in fayette county better get with the program and support your children and their education.Mt Hope High 28% on the west test WOW!
Fred

Sophia, WV

#14 Sep 1, 2009
I looked at the test scores JOE B. No surprises there. Historically, students from higher income areas are usually going to have higher test scores. Fayette County is a low income area when compared to Raleigh County. Not much we can do about that. An extra burden on Fayette County taxpayers will only make things worse. Mt Hope has been a problem for many years. Most teachers will avoid Mt Hope like the plague. Go ahead and move them to Oak Hill, that would be a good move. Otherwise the Fayette County BOE has been a failure. Where is all of the money that they save by closing schools? It went to higher salaries for the BOE members. They use buzzwords like '21st Century' and 'globallyintelligent' to fool taxpayers into believing that they are actually accomplishing something. We are not impressed. I predict the people of this county will show their displeasure with the BOE by defeating the bond issue and replacing the BOE members in October.
sally

Oak Hill, WV

#15 Sep 1, 2009
very well said,FRED. JOE AND JOE B. is probably one of the kinfolk of the boe set to make a fortune on the construction side of this deal,,,
Fred

Sophia, WV

#16 Sep 1, 2009
joe wrote:
Fred,I have been watching your comments as well as someone named sally on here and personally i dont think either one of you care about anything but yourselves and putting down others.You are just some of those people that like stiring up things just to be doing something.If you dont want to vote for this bond to help our kids thats ok,but dont critisize something that you dont have a clue what you are talking about just to make it seem so bad.if you really want to help our school system say a prayer that god will help us do the right thing.everyone has their own opinions but few have the True Facts.If you had to pay for all of the schools in fayette county yourself,would you have 23 rundown schools,NO! you would try and put some of them together in a better cost effeciant facility to save money.would you spend $1000 over 25 years or less to make 48 million for youself?YES.So dont be so negative about everything.I dont think the plan the county boe has is a good one either however it sure does beat the one the state boe has and will probably cost us less by passing this bond.the only reason that steve bush changed his mind about this bond is because he is up for re-election and has the district with the most voters in it and he was afraid that he wouldnt get re-elected.
Hi Joe, I asked God about the bond referendum and he instructed me to tell taxpayers to kill the damn thing. Sorry.
JOE

Bastrop, TX

#17 Sep 1, 2009
did you hear what you just said fred.why does higher income counties have better test scores.could it be that they have better schools and curicullum due to the fact that they have less schools and spend their money on better edcucation.webster county is one of the most poverty counties in our state and they even scored an average of 62% on their west test,so that being said dont think that you are entirly correct however i am with you on replacing most of the boe members.We need some people in there that cares about all of the kids not just the ones playing sports.
sally

Oak Hill, WV

#18 Sep 1, 2009
maybe some teachers need replaced too,,,,4 new walls wont make any difference.
Fred

Sophia, WV

#19 Sep 1, 2009
Then lets build schools without athletic
facilities. They are far to expensive and do nothing for a student's education. I could be supportive of that. The school system has gotten far too complicated and expensive.
joe

Beckley, WV

#20 Sep 1, 2009
sally finaly something we can agree on.I to think that there needs to be something done with some of these teachers that just want to earn a paycheck and not teach properly.I know for a fact that at certain high schools in our county that you can go into a few of the teachers rooms anytime of the day 5 days in a row and 3 out of the 5 days at least the students are absolutly not doing anything.I dont ahve anything against unions however I believe no matter how long a techer has been teaching they to shold get educated to teach the new things of today. there are some great techers that have been teachinging for 20+ years however they might not be educated to teach what these kids to day need to know.It amazes me how kids at st peter and paul catholic school and mt view christen are so far ahead of most of the county schools and I might had yes we give both of those schools money as well but I think they just invest it in better new modern education material.The new school will however ahve to have new teachers for all of the new programs that they will have to offer which will mean that we will have more available classes and we will get more speciality teachers that will come and teach in fayette co.If you have looked at the state report you will find that one of the major problems we have is that we dont ahve speciality teachers that are certified in these fields.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Hill Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Fayette man convicted in murder trial 2 hr fam 1
Gary Jennings 3 hr Defeater 4
Courtney shepherd 3 hr I had sex with her 5
Lori jasper 4 hr TJZ 1
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 5 hr UTrashy 1,481
Ace Whitewater Rafting Racist 6 hr out of towner 38
Tabby Cox Is Now Clean. 7 hr Doc 13

Oak Hill Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance