Oak Forest Park District

Posted in the Oak Forest Forum

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
momof2

Oak Forest, IL

#1 Aug 4, 2010
I wish the Oak Forest park district had more to offer for children and adults.
In some burbs they have a bus that pick them up either in the early am or after school for extra cost. The kids were able to complete their homework plus have time to play with other kids. If they complain about space this was done in the gym.
I look through tinely park they have scrape booking for adults, crafts, music for kids and adults. I just wish Oak Forest had more to offer for their community instead putting my money into another park district where I do not live.
Is there anyone else out there who feels the same?
pbjotter

Oak Forest, IL

#2 Aug 4, 2010
I too feel the same. I have my kids parties at Crestwood it's not expensive the kids can swim and play sports. Joe the guy there is great with the young kids. It would be really great to go to your own park district but Oak Forest is always behind, maybe when my kids are in college or married they may change, for now we wait and spend our money outside our own community.
Randy

Oak Forest, IL

#3 Aug 5, 2010
Why don't you go the OFPD meeting and state your concerns there? There are advisory boards that you could job to address those issues also. They just added lacrosse. Maybe your kids would be interested in that? Ask the commissioners to add programs that is what they get elected to do! The only problem is that most of the commissioners are city employees and can't take a step without the city's OK.
which ones

Alsip, IL

#4 Aug 6, 2010
as a mother of young children and a crestwood resident, i can tell you crestwood park district offers no programs for young children, other than basketball at age 4. i myself wouldn't say joe is so wonderful either, but maybe it's who you are. i often use oak forest for programs for my children, although it is at times considerably more expensive for a non resident. every town can use improvement in some areas i guess though, depending on what you are involved with and have experience with. i do have to say though that the crestwood library has a great summer reading program for the children and offers many activities for them.
Park District Supporter

Oak Forest, IL

#5 Aug 6, 2010
Randy wrote:
Why don't you go the OFPD meeting and state your concerns there? There are advisory boards that you could job to address those issues also. They just added lacrosse. Maybe your kids would be interested in that? Ask the commissioners to add programs that is what they get elected to do! The only problem is that most of the commissioners are city employees and can't take a step without the city's OK.
There are two city employees on the park board, you are correct on that one. Your comment on them needing city approval is B.S. If it is not B.S., be specific, don't make charges that cannot be backed up. Exactly what issues have they needed approval from the city for.

Since: Aug 10

Chicago Heights, IL

#6 Aug 6, 2010
I totally agree with you momof2. I've stopped registering with the OF Park District and just automatically look to the TPPD for programs for my kids. Tinley has much more to offer. And I've never had the problem of classes being canceled like I had with OF. Several times I registered my kids for programs in OF, only to get a call an hour or so before the first session telling me the class was canceled. Very disappointing.
Randy

Hammond, IN

#7 Aug 6, 2010
Park District Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
There are two city employees on the park board, you are correct on that one. Your comment on them needing city approval is B.S. If it is not B.S., be specific, don't make charges that cannot be backed up. Exactly what issues have they needed approval from the city for.
Read the OFPD minutes for the last few months it has all the input from the city telling the park district how to run there agency. I would have thought that at the park, Mayor Kuspa would only be considered Mr. Kuspa, but when it is your boss and he tells you what to do it best to have the minutes state Mayor. Wow how the vine grows into all areas of Oak Forest! How do we kill that weed?
You want the back up read the OFPD minutes it is clear as day.

I once thought the Park District was a separate entity, guess I was mistaken.
Park District Supporter

Oak Forest, IL

#8 Aug 7, 2010
Randy wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the OFPD minutes for the last few months it has all the input from the city telling the park district how to run there agency. I would have thought that at the park, Mayor Kuspa would only be considered Mr. Kuspa, but when it is your boss and he tells you what to do it best to have the minutes state Mayor. Wow how the vine grows into all areas of Oak Forest! How do we kill that weed?
You want the back up read the OFPD minutes it is clear as day.
I once thought the Park District was a separate entity, guess I was mistaken.
My God, how ignorant. Of course the city and the Park District work together on many issues, the city needs the support of the P.D. on some issues, and visa versa. It is good that they work together. It is only due to the respect for the mayors office(not the individual) that people of all walks call him mayor. Why would you want it any other way? It seems you are a minority of one on this issue. The two city employees were both elected by the residents of Oak Forest to the P.D. in landslide victories last time they ran. Seems the vast majority of residents have a much different view than a minority of one. As far as reading the minutes is concerned, I think you have never read a set of minutes of the P.D. meetings. Where did you see them? Be careful, you can be checked on. You still have not shown one specific instance where the city influnced a P.D. vote.
Felix da Cat

AOL

#9 Aug 7, 2010
Park District Supporter wrote:
<quoted text>
My God, how ignorant. Of course the city and the Park District work together on many issues, the city needs the support of the P.D. on some issues, and visa versa. It is good that they work together. It is only due to the respect for the mayors office(not the individual) that people of all walks call him mayor. Why would you want it any other way? It seems you are a minority of one on this issue. The two city employees were both elected by the residents of Oak Forest to the P.D. in landslide victories last time they ran. Seems the vast majority of residents have a much different view than a minority of one. As far as reading the minutes is concerned, I think you have never read a set of minutes of the P.D. meetings. Where did you see them? Be careful, you can be checked on. You still have not shown one specific instance where the city influnced a P.D. vote.
Park does good job of putting the minutes on their web site. Park stays within their resources. Maybe Mayor goes to Park Dist. meetings so he can learn how to do it right?
Sideliner

Oak Forest, IL

#10 Aug 7, 2010
Felix da Cat wrote:
<quoted text>
Park does good job of putting the minutes on their web site. Park stays within their resources. Maybe Mayor goes to Park Dist. meetings so he can learn how to do it right?
Kelly and Gordon people all sound alike. They could not do enough damage during their terms so they continue to try on the blogs. Come on guys, the people spoke resoundingly about your time in office, your bitterness is evident.
Frugal Buggle

Oak Forest, IL

#11 Aug 7, 2010
It is interesting how many people want to stick their heads in the sand about all these coincidences! Blame everything on former administrations, when all these folks, park district and city all came from the same cloth!!
Sideliner

Oak Forest, IL

#12 Aug 8, 2010
Frugal Buggle wrote:
It is interesting how many people want to stick their heads in the sand about all these coincidences! Blame everything on former administrations, when all these folks, park district and city all came from the same cloth!!
What coincidences, what people? Be specific. You don't have a clue, you are just trying to stir up trouble for the city. You are surely a Gordon or Kelly supporter(failed administrations). The very few people who read your garbage are on to you, and don't care what you think. Kuspa will be one of the most popular mayors ever. I Bet that pisses you off, Ha,Ha.
seriously

Oak Forest, IL

#13 Aug 8, 2010
Randy wrote:
I heard the only reason lacrosse was added was because one of the commissioners kids was into it? Is that true?
Park District Supporter

Oak Forest, IL

#14 Aug 8, 2010
Lacrosse is an upcoming, growing sport with leagues all over the country. It is played in colleges, and high schools all around Chicago land. The P.D. just wanted to try it and see how it would work out here. It does no harm, and costs almost no money to the taxpayers. If it is successful it will be another program for the residents to enjoy.
Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#15 Aug 8, 2010
seriously wrote:
<quoted text>
I heard the only reason lacrosse was added was because one of the commissioners kids was into it? Is that true?
Is there something wrong with a commissioner seeing the popularity of a sport while watching his son play, and making the sport available to the Oak Forest residents? Where do you think the ideas should come from? I think it is great that a commissioner would take that iniative. If it is not popular the program can be canceled at no cost to the taxpayer. Bet you couldn't see that through your bloodshot negative eyes.
seriously

Oak Forest, IL

#16 Aug 8, 2010
not at all, however I do know that several other programs were asked for, targeted for kids and nothing happened. I wasn't sure if this was true or not, judging from your response I guess it is. Seem a little touchy, don't you. I don't know if the interest is actually there, from what I've been told, they are trying to drum up interest. I'm not all that involved anymore, my kids have kids of their own.
Parent

Oak Forest, IL

#17 Aug 8, 2010
If letting the community know they are offering the program is drumming up support I guess they are. The reason other programs may not have been instituted is they may have too expensive, or there was not a history in the area of support for them. The interest for this program is definitely there in surrounding towns, so why not offer it in O.F. Yes I am touchy when someone asks what sounded like a sarcastic question because a commissioner suggests a program that may be a good idea for the community. Your question smelled like you thought the commissioner was getting something no one else could get. I read your posts on other threads, and I have never read one that gives credit to Oak Forest, or the Park District.
momof2

Oak Forest, IL

#18 Aug 9, 2010
why do people have to stick politics into the mix? I was stating something I believe about the PD that they do not offer any good programs for kids and adults. Tinley has so much on there web site for everyone and variety.
Rollo

Hammond, IN

#19 Aug 9, 2010
momof2 wrote:
why do people have to stick politics into the mix? I was stating something I believe about the PD that they do not offer any good programs for kids and adults. Tinley has so much on there web site for everyone and variety.
I think you may be correct about the programs of Tinley Park vs. OF, but I think it is up to parents like you to go to the meetings and address to the commissioners what types of programs you want to have added! If you are an OF Citizen you surely are paying taxes for this organization. Up and coming items are not always the best programs to add, since people may have been waiting for other programs much longer than the up and coming items. The commissioners are voted in to address the needs of all the citizens, it is their responsibility to figure cost effective approaches to add programs, not just up and coming ones that may just serve a few folks. Up and coming was a skate park and with the donation from a city concern it happened, but as many times as I have walked by it there is not the utilization that up and coming program might warrent. Your point is a great one, but you need to address it to these commissioners at their meetings during each month, press them and the Director of Programs that is what they should be doing!!
Resident

Oak Forest, IL

#20 Aug 21, 2010
I heard Lacrosse is messing the Raiders field up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Oak Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
People are rude, mean, ignorant and selfish why? 5 hr Chuck 3
Jack Hille Handicap Parking 22 hr Burned up 1
District 142 half days (Feb '15) Tue Oh boy 9
Popularity caused by school (May '14) Tue Oh boy 16
Jack Hille- the worst school in Oak Forest (Oct '10) Tue Super 69
Bengal Football.., (Aug '14) Mon Ron 79
Toland/Raiders Aug 31 Oak Forester 47
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Oak Forest Mortgages