What is wrong with the Keshequa Schoo...

What is wrong with the Keshequa School District

Posted in the Nunda Forum

Wondering

Spencerport, NY

#1 Jan 28, 2009
I wanted to post this question on the KPTSA site but it seems like someone took it down so I'll settle for this forum. Why weren't the local schools, specifically Keshequa, closed today? Is it because the Regents testing was occurring? Wasn't the weather bad enough? My child had to walk (because I work) to school in this mess because the HS students are not to be in the school unless they have a test. So I guess it was safer for my child to walk in the blinding snow than to close school and postpone the tests for a day? I know, I know, we can't have everybody working harder than they should but I took the following directly from Keshequa's newsletter where our phenomenal super said the following:

"The decision to close school is made on the
basis of weather conditions at the time of our bus runs and on the information available to us at that time. The safety of our students is always the critical component in the decision-making process. In the early morning hours we
take into consideration the current and predicted state of the roads, visibility, wind chill,
and snowfall forecast. When conditions before 6:00 a.m. indicate that the journey to school may be hazardous we will close or delay school and provide notification to everyone in a timely
manner."

6-12 inches of snow with wind isn't hazardous enough? Even with the wind chill below 0 a couple of weeks ago, the schools weren't closed (I think local tests were being given that week). What kind of safety plan is in place where weather is concerned? Do we have an alternate bus pick up plan in place for all of the kids who walk on these really bad weather days? I'm asking these questions here because I can never get a straight answer from school officials so I'm hoping someone "in the know" can share.
Nunda lifer

Rochester, NY

#2 Feb 10, 2009
They can't get the state money if kids aren't in school and goodness knows the administration needs their money.
Wondering wrote:
I wanted to post this question on the KPTSA site but it seems like someone took it down so I'll settle for this forum. Why weren't the local schools, specifically Keshequa, closed today? Is it because the Regents testing was occurring? Wasn't the weather bad enough? My child had to walk (because I work) to school in this mess because the HS students are not to be in the school unless they have a test. So I guess it was safer for my child to walk in the blinding snow than to close school and postpone the tests for a day? I know, I know, we can't have everybody working harder than they should but I took the following directly from Keshequa's newsletter where our phenomenal super said the following:
"The decision to close school is made on the
basis of weather conditions at the time of our bus runs and on the information available to us at that time. The safety of our students is always the critical component in the decision-making process. In the early morning hours we
take into consideration the current and predicted state of the roads, visibility, wind chill,
and snowfall forecast. When conditions before 6:00 a.m. indicate that the journey to school may be hazardous we will close or delay school and provide notification to everyone in a timely
manner."
6-12 inches of snow with wind isn't hazardous enough? Even with the wind chill below 0 a couple of weeks ago, the schools weren't closed (I think local tests were being given that week). What kind of safety plan is in place where weather is concerned? Do we have an alternate bus pick up plan in place for all of the kids who walk on these really bad weather days? I'm asking these questions here because I can never get a straight answer from school officials so I'm hoping someone "in the know" can share.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nunda Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kayaker drowns in Blue Heron Lake (Jun '06) Jul '15 curiosity 5
Genesse Valley Construction Jun '15 Bernie 1
News Canaseraga tops Upstate New York's student acce... Jun '15 Be proud of your ... 1
mount morrris code enforcer (Apr '07) Jun '15 luad 39
News Drinking arrest at footbridge park in Massena l... Apr '15 wow 9
News Mt. Morris man facing burglary, arson charges Apr '15 AubreyIsLesbian 1
niall horan (Feb '15) Feb '15 Anonymous 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nunda Mortgages