Lark Theater pulls its support of doc...

Lark Theater pulls its support of documentary on teen sex

There are 109 comments on the Marin Independent Journal story from Nov 11, 2010, titled Lark Theater pulls its support of documentary on teen sex. In it, Marin Independent Journal reports that:

The Lark Theater in Larkspur pulled from its calendar an award-winning, locally produced documentary on teen pregnancy and the abstinence-only movement after two of the nonprofit venue's board members objected to it, allegedly arguing that it wasn't relevant for Marin audiences.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Marin Independent Journal.

Sad

Mill Valley, CA

#87 Nov 13, 2010
How sad for The Lark. Hopefully, the larger board will remove these board members and replace them with two board members who actually live in the real world and not the fantasy that can be Marin.
Disgusted with the Lark

Petaluma, CA

#88 Nov 13, 2010
"The Lark continues to extend an invitation"???????? How about an apology and THEN request to show the film? And your board allowed TWO members of ELEVEN to make your choices for you? Guess that shows you that money talks.. Screw the two board members--THEY are not relevant in Larkspur. There should be ZERO public funds from any source for 1) poor management by the "Board" (read good friends one and all) and 2)lack of vision- which in a visual business is the death knell.
Ken Tuckie

Berkeley, CA

#89 Nov 13, 2010
Sounds like a publicity set up. How many of you had even heard of the movie before this flap. Now a lot more people are going to see this movie. Nothing like negative press to promote a product.
Whats the Problem

Novato, CA

#92 Nov 13, 2010
All movies that do not follow the liberal agenda should be banned from all movie theatres including the Lark. Congratulations to the "brave" members of the board for making such a courageous descision on banning freedom of speech.

Now if we can only get another peek at the kooky Al Gore's masterpiece "An Inconvinient Lie" we can all feel better about our rich and privelaged Marin County lifestyles.
Fed Up

San Francisco, CA

#93 Nov 13, 2010
Chris Albinson Lark Board wrote:
The Lark continues to extend an open invitation to Daddy I Do  to screen. We hope the film maker will change her mind and pick a date to show her film. The Lark Board does not make program decisions and did not in this case.    The Lark is a community based non-profit supported by volunteers.  Sometimes we make mistakes and in this case communication/role mistakes were
 I would invite the community to express their support/views on Daddy Do I on Cassie's Facebook page below it is important that we support our young film makers. We hope Cassie will change her mind and call Bernice to pick a date to screen her film.  I want to see it!
Http://www.facebook.com/DaddyIDo
Your offer to screen the film is a little hollow, since your Board has already decided to NOT promote it, should the film makers decide to rent the facility for a screening. Please name the Board members who "decided" on behalf of the community the film wasn't relevant? Does the Board realize that by deferring to these two members, that you've alienated a huge percentage of your supporters?

PLEASE allow the community to decide whether something is relevant or not. Do not assume we're not interested and do not make choices for us. It was my understanding the Lark would show films that were not main-stream -- and the fact that the film makers are local WOULD make this film a good choice. To me, the film seems more relevant than Harry Potter, which could be seen at any chain-theater in the area.
Liveright there

Ross, CA

#94 Nov 13, 2010
Those 2 board members just did a huge disservice to the theater they are supposed to foster. Terrible. It disgusts me that 2 women would think their opinion of a movie entitles them to decide whether a whole community can watch it. Their entitlement is now more important than freedom of speech, freedom of press, and freedom to chose whether or not to go watch a movie. I hope the backlash is large and they are removed from their posts.
PurpleHaze

Mill Valley, CA

#95 Nov 13, 2010
I think you all missed the story. A 20 something woman gets money from mommy and then goes and makes a film over 2 years. Great game to travel with a tax write-off. Now, had the daughter done it on her own on her own dime, I might think differently. A NOTHING film that no one would go to see. They should have screened it for a couple of weeks and let it die it's own death. It couldn;t even make the cut for the MV film festival.
movies in marin

Boulder Creek, CA

#96 Nov 13, 2010
Just to clarify - the Lark has no relationship with CFI or MVFF, they don't use it as a venue during the festival and haven't done so for a long time (since they opened the Rafael).
My guess is that the film was submitted to the festival but rejected on one of two counts: either it had already screened at a Bay Area fest which would make it ineligible, or it didn't make the cut. They get tons of doc submissions so not necessarily an indictment of its quality. Either way, though, that doesn't mean CFI wouldn't show the film at the Rafael. I hope the filmmaker is knocking at their door as we speak, they'd probably be only too glad to show and promote the film.
BTW, while everyone is digging around on the Lark, word on the street was that they were showing some films without a license last year (like the Hurt Locker). Wonder if their board members are aware of that or if they had any "objections" to hosting an Oscar party without permission from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences......
1st and ten

San Rafael, CA

#97 Nov 13, 2010
all you really need to know is that this film was shown in kansas but couldn't get past the marin nazi contingent...to those who are considering boycotting the lark theatre, count me in
Larkspur Soccer Moms

San Anselmo, CA

#98 Nov 13, 2010
Unbelievably Lame! This is what is happening in Southern Marin: Soccer Moms and their lame Stock Broker husbands are ruining Southern Marin. There really should be some kind of a ban on finance types and their breeder wives, as they have taken formerly cool, artistic towns like Mill Valley and turned them into Stepford towns. Now you have to move to Fairfax if you want to find cool, laid back people.
Larkspur Soccer Moms

San Anselmo, CA

#99 Nov 13, 2010
Timmy wrote:
Should the Lark play a movie about the sexual mores of Pygmy women in Africa? Why not?
Because that has nothing to do with Marin, that's why. A movie about some breeders is good for the hood but not Marin.
Are you kidding? Southern Marin is breeder central! Soccer moms and their little breedlings are everywhere!
Larkspur Soccer Moms

San Anselmo, CA

#100 Nov 13, 2010
If these two board members have such strong convictions, and really do not think this is a good movie for us to see, why are they afraid to come out publicly and say who they are and what they believe? They feel strongly enough to censor what movies we can see, but are ashamed or embarrassed they feel this way?
mstephenj

Richmond, CA

#102 Nov 13, 2010
Unbelievable. I guess even in Marin we find idiot no-nothings who are afraid that the truth about the failure of Palin-esque abstinence-only programs will somehow be made public. Throw these free-speech-opponents off the board!
To the young film maker

San Rafael, CA

#103 Nov 13, 2010
These fools gave you $1,000,000 worth of free publicity. Everyone i talk to wants to see your documentary. My very best to you from everyone at the college of marin. We hope the rafael picks up your great documentary.
Steph

Mill Valley, CA

#105 Nov 13, 2010
Larkspur Soccer Moms wrote:
Unbelievably Lame! This is what is happening in Southern Marin: Soccer Moms and their lame Stock Broker husbands are ruining Southern Marin. There really should be some kind of a ban on finance types and their breeder wives, as they have taken formerly cool, artistic towns like Mill Valley and turned them into Stepford towns. Now you have to move to Fairfax if you want to find cool, laid back people.
the riff-raff is already invading Fairfax i'm afraid, but it's still enough of a freak-show to keep the true Yuppies away. you're not allowed into Peri park unless you smoke weed. i was watching a child at the park one day and laughed as i saw hippy moms snickering at the one lonely yuppie mom. roll reversal. ahhh, i remember when Mill Valley was cool...no need to go there anymore.
Steph

Mill Valley, CA

#106 Nov 13, 2010
Chris Hates Everybody wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, and the buy it with Mommy and Daddy's money, then run the Mercedes into a telephone pole. I know because I went to school with them.
Redwood High parties? Kegs! Us poor SR kids never had kegs....but the rich Redwood brats? All on Cocaine.
haha, totally. when i was in high school in the late 80's, i remember all the Redwood kids were coked out - they got it from their parents. all the good drugs were in southern marin. up at Novato high, it was more like speed and acid. and of course Keystone Light or Natty Ice. not so many kegs.
What

San Rafael, CA

#107 Nov 13, 2010
They should call it "I do Daddy".

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#109 Nov 14, 2010
I have encouraged and urged those women who answer the phone at the Lark Theater to read all of your comments and to think hard and deep about what the cancellation of this film has meant to the image of the venue.

All of these comments have relevance to what the insensitive and inconsiderate actions of a few can do to harm the goals and hard work of the many.
The Facts

Los Gatos, CA

#110 Nov 14, 2010
TRAILER:
http://www.jayebirdproductions.com/daddyido.h...

Be holy, for God is holy.
MVis Great

Mill Valley, CA

#111 Nov 14, 2010
Larkspur Soccer Moms wrote:
Definition of "cool, laid back people": They smoke dope with their kids. Why is it that liberals profess to be open minded but denigrate anyone that doesn't agree with them?

"Breeder wives"? You hate children too? Glad your in Faifax where all the trash lives.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Novato Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens (May '09) Mon Minimum wage 2,651
News KitchenWorks in San Rafael shrinks staff, hit w... (May '09) Dec 2 Well Well 132
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Nov 26 Tired of the Lies 490
News Marina s immigrant community reacts to Trump win Nov 20 spytheweb 2
News Marin bench loses another judge to retirement (Jan '10) Nov 19 RICKY RAT 38
News Marin students protest Trump victory with walkouts Nov 16 Sicklecell Supporter 10
News California bans threatening noose displays (Aug '09) Nov 12 Seeg Highl 41

Novato Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Novato Mortgages