Lark Theater pulls its support of documentary on teen sex

The Lark Theater in Larkspur pulled from its calendar an award-winning, locally produced documentary on teen pregnancy and the abstinence-only movement after two of the nonprofit venue's board members objected to it, allegedly arguing that it wasn't relevant for Marin audiences. Full Story
Outraged

Hayward, CA

#21 Nov 12, 2010
While I don't share the same point of view as the films producers, it is just wrong not to show this film!
homelessinmarin

San Rafael, CA

#22 Nov 12, 2010
I don't understand the intention here. Is this article a local PR stunt? Its so unbelievable, I'm stunned anyone would even care to put this much effort into banning a film. I could understand if this article was written in the local small town paper somewhere in the mid-west, but not a small town paper 10 miles away from a major metropolitan city...

Plus...isn't the spirit and purpose of independent theaters to show films w/ controversial content to spark intellectual discussion...or is the goal of this particular theater a way to show movies only those board members deem in the "best interest" of marin audiences?

Why is this film not geared toward the Marin audience? Who is "the Marin audience" anyway? I cannot figure out if this is liberal or conservative censorship, but either way, it's bogus. Let the people who live here decide what art is in their best interest to experience.

WTH??

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#23 Nov 12, 2010
This type of documentary is an art form as well as a historical perspective. PLEASE join me in boycotting the Lark Theater until the two board members are ousted and the board creates a policy on how to deal with these controversial issues in the future.
Keep away

Novato, CA

#24 Nov 12, 2010
I also will never give one more DIME to the lark theater. I have supported it for many years and now i will boycott.
black hawk

San Francisco, CA

#25 Nov 12, 2010
Hmm wrote:
Is this what happens when you populate a board with the aim of diversity instead of intelligence?
I bet they wont even be able to put their objections in a succinct 4 sentence statement.
They owe that to the filmmakers and the donors.
typical liberal elite remark. do you need to wear a condom when watching this film? is the popcorn lubricated? no one cares about this film, film maker, or the lark! when is "full metal jacket" going to play?
R U Kidding me

San Rafael, CA

#26 Nov 12, 2010
Did the board members forget that the audience has the right to say no but not buying a ticket? It kills me when people object to what is in a movie, on tv or the radio. Just don't watch or listen and let tose who want to have the chance. Don't tell me I can't.
Savage

San Rafael, CA

#27 Nov 12, 2010
F--- the LARK !!
24 fps

Mill Valley, CA

#28 Nov 12, 2010
The Lark director's comments on the Facebook page are worth noting: http://www.facebook.com/DaddyIDo Seems to me he has issued a clear mea culpa: "We messed up." Miscommunication can happen within non-profits, as in every place else. Before boycotting the the Lark or damning the "liberal bastion" of Marin, this might be worth a read.
Batman

San Rafael, CA

#29 Nov 12, 2010
liberals solution
by all means don't talk about values that's judgemental
having sex?
just be sure you are on birth control
and of course if needed an abortion is available
Lark is done

San Rafael, CA

#30 Nov 12, 2010
Boycott censorship now!
Ned

San Rafael, CA

#32 Nov 12, 2010
The board should reflect the makeup of the community that attends movies there, donates money to the theater and lives nearby.

I seriously doubt that the welfare barnacles at Marin City or the Hispanics in the Canal are doing any of the three, so why are they on the Board of Directors?

The Lark Theater better clarify this issue if they want any more support from the authentic community that uses it.
San Rafael Parent

San Anselmo, CA

#33 Nov 12, 2010
I am glad it was pulled. I have seen the movie. It is very anti- abstinence and does not paint a complete picture. I am for teaching all methods of birth control, but if the adults teaching these methods immediatley express their doubt that abstinece can work what kind of message is that sending to our kids? Peolpe rise to the level of expectation. I am a male, got married at 29, and was a virgin. It is possible, if one is committed and not making excuses to allow them to do whatever they want.
MarinLocal

Ross, CA

#34 Nov 12, 2010
San Rafael Parent wrote:
I am glad it was pulled. I have seen the movie. It is very anti- abstinence and does not paint a complete picture. I am for teaching all methods of birth control, but if the adults teaching these methods immediatley express their doubt that abstinece can work what kind of message is that sending to our kids? Peolpe rise to the level of expectation. I am a male, got married at 29, and was a virgin. It is possible, if one is committed and not making excuses to allow them to do whatever they want.
Since the film hasn't played locally...where did you see it? From all the reviews I've read, they all say that it is a very balanced portrayal of the subject.
Jerry

United States

#35 Nov 12, 2010
San Rafael Parent wrote:
Interesting. Not my take at all. I thought it fairly represented two spectrums of abstinence, their effectiveness and their consequences.

And that is the point of (this) documentary filmmaking. To stir conversation and thought-this film does respectfully.

Agree to disagree, as we are here, but not censor, as the Lark is.
Re- San Rafael Parent

Reno, NV

#36 Nov 12, 2010
San Rafael Parent wrote:
Abstinence-ONLY programs are completely different from Comprehensive Sex Education, which according to the reviews the film is trying to support the latter. Are you aware that abstinence is included in comprehensive sex education? Abstinence-only education doesn't work. This is exactly why it is wrong to pull a film because you simply don't understand the issue and rely on your "value system". You are not the majority. Good for you for waiting until marriage. But when your children have sex before marriage, against your will. For the love of God, you'll hope they are educated.
P.S.- you might have outed yourself as one of the Board Members
Get out and Vote

Larkspur, CA

#37 Nov 12, 2010
I will not patronize the Lark in the future. They can show all the liberal junk they want, but when an important topic is presented in balance, then no go. And why do TWO members have the pull, when there are 11 on the Board. THEY are the minority--overidden by the others. Bad move Lark. Goodbye
rev jj

Houston, TX

#38 Nov 12, 2010
San Rafael Parent wrote:
I too have seen the film and did not find the film to be anti-abstinence, but more "anti-abstinence-only education". Your support of "teaching all methods of birth control" makes you "pro-comprehensive sex education" whether you admit it or not. Comprehensive sex education programs emphasize abstinence. "Abstinence only" programs are just that. They provide mis-information or no information about other methods of birth control.

As the research doctor in the film says, he feels abstinence is the "best" option for teenagers. The real problems arise when a kid who has been practicing abstinence falls off the wagon and has sex without any knowledge of birth and disease control options.

It is true that no method of birth and/or disease control other than abstinence is 100% effective, however it is also clear that the majority of kids who pledge abstinence end up having sex before marriage. No excuses, just the facts.
lumberjack

Alamo, CA

#39 Nov 12, 2010
How about a cartoon version of this controversial subject? Mickey and Minnie Mouse need work and they always wear gloves.
In Disbelief

Belvedere Tiburon, CA

#40 Nov 12, 2010
Memo to the commentators on the "diversity" of the Lark's Board of Directors:
You need to learn some critical reading and thinking skills. The reference in the IJ article to the single mothers pertains to the stories portrayed in the film, not to the members of the Lark's Board.
Call me a pointy head liberal intellectual if you like, but at least I try to understand something before I start calling names....
out of step with Marin

San Anselmo, CA

#41 Nov 12, 2010
to 24fps - I read the Lark Theater director's comments on the Facebook page. The comments did not, unfortunately, come across as a mea culpa.

This is a public relations disaster for the Lark Theater.

To salvage their reputation, the Board of Directors will have to issue a much more robust, heartfelt and BELIEVABLE mea culpa than what was posted on the Facebook site.

Any attempts to backpedal or paper -over the incident will not restore confidence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Novato Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 10 min Tina Kauffman 16,009
Like Lincoln and FDR, Obama faces nation in cri... (Nov '08) 11 hr yon 51
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) Mon El SupremoS 201,038
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) Sep 28 No Time for Tea 5,084
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Sep 27 Bucketeers 7,965
CA Jury reaches verdict in Oakland BART shooting t... (Jul '10) Sep 21 theos 2,275
Marin exhibit reflects renewal of Jewish art in... Sep 18 Spasoje Djukanovic 46

Novato News Video

Novato Dating

more search filters

less search filters

Novato Jobs

Novato People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Novato News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Novato

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]