Lark Theater pulls its support of documentary on teen sex

The Lark Theater in Larkspur pulled from its calendar an award-winning, locally produced documentary on teen pregnancy and the abstinence-only movement after two of the nonprofit venue's board members objected to it, allegedly arguing that it wasn't relevant for Marin audiences. Read more
First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Hmm

Bangkok, Thailand

#1 Nov 11, 2010
Is this what happens when you populate a board with the aim of diversity instead of intelligence?
I bet they wont even be able to put their objections in a succinct 4 sentence statement.
They owe that to the filmmakers and the donors.
Unreal

San Rafael, CA

#2 Nov 11, 2010
We'll find out soon enough:

Board of Directors

Christina McArthur - Chairman
Heidi Hillenbrand - Vice Chair
Karen G. Lee - Secretary
Bernice Baeza - Treasurer
Chris Albinson
Mary Clyde
Bruce Fullerton
Lisa Graeber
Claude Jarman, Jr.
Eliza Haskins Koeppel
Vickie Soulier
Dhyl Doh

San Francisco, CA

#3 Nov 11, 2010
What's all the fuss about? They couldn't be more right about average Marin audiences; Rich, white, and gets their drawers in a bunch when any kind of ethnicity or lower socio-economic possibility gets too close to Magnolia Blvd. The funniest thing is it's ONLY A MOVIE FOLKS!!!!
Being There

Novato, CA

#4 Nov 11, 2010
Let's hope these 2 women aren't on the library board or they'll be burning books next.
legendpiper

Anchorage, AK

#5 Nov 11, 2010
I bet religion has it's unwelcome nose under the tent flap
WOW

Sunnyvale, CA

#6 Nov 11, 2010
Unbelievable! Tolerant Marin?! Board members that are probably so far removed from "real" life get to make decisions for the rest of us! I feel so enlightened!:P "Stupid is as stupid does."
Joseph Stalin

United States

#7 Nov 11, 2010
This is all part of my plan.
Question

Gilroy, CA

#8 Nov 11, 2010
Were the Board members opposed to teen sex or were they opposed to abstinance?

Let's get real - this has ZERO to do with ethnic issues, but everything to do with values.
Amazed415

San Rafael, CA

#9 Nov 11, 2010
Well you know they're afraid of something. It's interesting that Marin parents continue to believe their children are "different" than children in other areas and yet they drink and take drugs and self injure as much as teenagers anywhere else.

I say show the movie and if the two narrow minded board members don't like it, show them the exit door. Somebody has to have some cajones here...
Got-to-be-kiddin g

Mill Valley, CA

#10 Nov 11, 2010
This is just an another incident that confirms that we who live in Marin live in a bubble. People on this board want to keep it that way. God forbid, we should be exposed to the real world!
Barty

San Francisco, CA

#11 Nov 11, 2010
Is that Claude Jarman Jr. the famous actor?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Jarman,_J... .
MarinLocal

Ross, CA

#12 Nov 11, 2010
check out this review of "Daddy I Do" that was recently posted at RH Reality Check....i would love to see this film!

warning: spoiler alert
http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2010/11/10...
Danagamer

Ross, CA

#13 Nov 11, 2010
Wow, I am seriously considering never patronizing the Lark theater because of this censorship.
out of step with Marin

San Anselmo, CA

#14 Nov 11, 2010
the original Marin IJ article about the film.
http://www.marinij.com/ci_16254242

Here Cassie speaks out on Facebook.(see link below)

I'm guessing that the film is something of an indictment of abstinence education. At the same time, the film is fairly balanced, according to the original IJ article.

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php...

http://www.facebook.com/DaddyIDo

Per the IJ article, Cassie and her mom are former Christian evangelicals, so they definitely have cred and insight.

A couple of board members shouldn't be allowed to throw their weight around and censor content. Hello! Adults here.

Also - the full board isn't meeting to discuss this situation until NEXT WEEK, thus allowing the scandal to fester for DAYS, an eternity in Facebook/Twitter/social media time.

Again - hello! Lark Theater board. It's called an emergency. Damage control anyone?
me too

San Anselmo, CA

#15 Nov 11, 2010
yep, I'm seriously considering not patronizing the Lark, too. . and agree with Amazed415 re: there's a cajones shortage on that board.
Paula P

Mill Valley, CA

#16 Nov 11, 2010
The argument "not relevant to Marin audiences" -- what exactly does that mean? This is the epitome of arrogance. Girls are having sex here, just like they do everywhere else. Are these board members trying to destroy the Lark after so much struggling to stay open? How do two board members have so much power over the rest? Gotta say, not the right way to run a nonprofit, people.

Since: Nov 10

Discovery Bay, CA

#17 Nov 11, 2010
Censorship at The Lark? The Indie/film festival/hip cool theater goes home school. I never would have thunk it. We're not talking an Amazon/Pedophile How To book. This kind of censorship should not be tolerated, especially over what looks to be a good movie. Do these 2 Board members know that we teach evolution in our schools here?

I am SO glad that my Novato city council just gave away our old theater on Grant to Ms. Baeza for $50k to make a Lark 2. I hope she'll stick with Board-approved films there as well.

Actually in order to keep it, she needs to do what she did at the Lark, and raise a million dollars to get it functional. Something tells me the fund raising for that is going to take a hit. Unless of course she auctions it off...those who give the most, get to sit on the Board and be the censors.
another rider

San Francisco, CA

#18 Nov 11, 2010
The idea that Marin is some kind of bastion of liberalism and forward thinking is a ridiculous joke. People in Marin are horrified by anything that threatens to breach their narrow little conclave. Cross a bridge sometime, you might be amazed at what's out there.
Former co-worker

San Jose, CA

#19 Nov 12, 2010
Barty wrote:
Is that Claude Jarman Jr. the famous actor?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Jarman,_J... .
Yes, he's the child actor who played a major role in the movie "The Yearling", playing the boy who befriends a deer. He's a long time resident of Marin - I worked with him in the early 80's.
Fed Up

San Jose, CA

#20 Nov 12, 2010
So why didn't the other board members overrule them? It seems strange that only two members can put a stop to showing the film. If the locals aren't interested in the subject matter, the Lark board will know soon enough by the response at the box-office.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Novato Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Latest product recalls (Apr '08) 22 hr WINDOW TINT 25
News Aryan Nations recruiting again in northern Idaho (Apr '09) Fri Commander Bunny 418
News State orders audit of Marin family court (Jul '09) Mar 26 Very Concerned 870
News Child dies at Ala. air show as wind topples tents (Jun '08) Mar 26 Commander Bunny 14
News Ellen: Kids are not in star couple's future, El... Mar 25 Commander Bunny 10
News Founder of Angel Island ferry services dies at 92 (Jan '08) Mar 24 Commander Bunny 3
News Kosher plant manager facing life on fraud charges (Apr '10) Mar 19 swedenforever 9
Novato Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Novato People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]