NAMI Walk Raises Awareness

NAMI Walk Raises Awareness

There are 11 comments on the WHOtv story from Oct 2, 2010, titled NAMI Walk Raises Awareness. In it, WHOtv reports that:

After Ed Thomas' death and her son's life prison sentence for killing Thomas, Joan Becker's life has a new purpose.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHOtv.

what a guy

AOL

#1 Oct 3, 2010
IT IS LIKE PUT A FOUR year old child out in the street --- and pray they make it that day ---- it is like walking on eggs and hope you don't crack one, cause that will crack the rest ==== it like loving
someone that does not know how to love back ==== it is like being in a hole that you are going down and no way to stop ==== but every day you seem to love this child more=== you do not want to get mad because because the child will start cutting them self ===== you do not want to take away the life they live but you watch them for anything that maybe a problem ==== you learn from them === most the time it is hard === but i do not think it is so bad --- having a 21 year old baby boy --- i will not take his likes of thing to do from him == it is his life -- i just along for the ride === yes i understand and no i do not understand, that his life. and i hope he is happy for ever==== love dad
Terri in Iowa Falls

United States

#2 Oct 3, 2010
This is the third year that Hardin County has attended the walk... Every year it gets more attention and we have a wonderful time... Mental Illness is not a crime, it is a way of life for so many diagnosed and undiagnosed... I cherish Mrs. Becker's insight, she is taking a very unfortunate situation and turning it into a HUGE learning experience for everybody... Let's hope everyone can look at the person next to them and learn from them before things have to become a tragedy... Life would be so much easier if there were no STIGMA!!!
Dave

Des Moines, IA

#3 Oct 3, 2010
Mark Becker's problems were due to METHAMPHETAMINE USE, not mental illness. Joan testified that he would become enraged and beat on objects and yell for hours on end (meth rage). Frankly, I'm sick and tired of Mark's family promoting him as an example of a "mentally ill person". They continue to perpetuate the stereotype that mentally ill people are unstable and can "snap" at any moment. Many people suffer from mental illnesses, often with great difficulty, through no fault of their own. Mark, on the other hand, burned his brain out on meth. There is a *BIG* difference. Joan should work with D.A.R.E. rather than NAMI.
Tim

Chanhassen, MN

#4 Oct 3, 2010
She's not a very good spokesperson since she did nothing to help her meth head son.
Jeanette Des Moines

Des Moines, IA

#5 Oct 3, 2010
According to the Journal of the American Medical Association, approximately 50 percent of individuals diagnosed with severe mental illness are affected by substance abuse. About 37 percent of individuals with alcoholism and 53 percent of individuals with drug addictions have at least one serious mental illness.

It's commonly called "self medication".

Two-in-five American families will, at some point, be affected by mental illness. Who will it be in your family?
Tyler

United States

#6 Oct 3, 2010
what the hell would this woman know about any of it? her kid is the one that did the slaughtering. it happened right under her nose. maybe she should have acted to help her son before he went totally nuts. sickening! what a worthless mother
Tyler

United States

#7 Oct 3, 2010
someone should toss her in the can with her son. the entire spectacle is sickening. don't you people have anything better to write about
Tyler

United States

#8 Oct 3, 2010
what is even more sickening is aaron thomas lecturing us about forgiveness. i wish someone would shut him up too.
heartbreaking

Spencer, IA

#9 Oct 4, 2010
having a bi-polar sister myself, they can't always understand that they have a disease, and they are likley to self-medicate - or not follow the medications given to them by professionals. As an adult, family can do little to help as we are not considered legal guardians. Parents struggle everyday to try to keep their bi-polar children safe from themselves and on track to as healthy a life as they can live. Don't judge others, you don't know the heartache that they go through every single day not knowing how to get their bi-polar adult child the help they need. There is no where to turn but to family and sometimes that is just not enough. There are no mental health centers which wouold take a high-functioning bi-polar person, there are little resources to help these families. That is what we need to focus on so that we can stop someone from hurting someone else, and so that we can help these families with children with mental illness get the help they need to help their child. Mental illness is a cancer that is stigmatized by people just like those above who know nothing about the disease. Bi-polarism with manic pyscotic episides are impossible to try and predict, there is no blame to place on anyone, just our society for not helping all these people who need help and don't know where to turn to get it. These families struggle everyday looking for help for these types of adult children. Instead of blaming them, why don't you help them find the help they need, becuase I can guarantee that they are not just sitting aroudn waiting for another manci episode to come along.. no one wants to be part of that stress and utter heartbreak.
To Tyler

Spencer, IA

#10 Oct 4, 2010
Tyler wrote:
someone should toss her in the can with her son. the entire spectacle is sickening. don't you people have anything better to write about
lol.. Tyler you are an uneducated idiot. I think YOU should be thrown in the can, the garbage can.
VSD

Roseau, MN

#11 Oct 4, 2010
Tyler wrote:
what is even more sickening is aaron thomas lecturing us about forgiveness. i wish someone would shut him up too.
I forgive you for your series of insensitive and hurtful posts.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norwalk Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Clinton Meltdown Jul 22 TRUMP YES 16
Danfoss Jul 14 Truth seeker 1
the truth about the jews and israel Jul 13 BUDD PRESCOTT 1
News Corrections board hires warden not knowing of O... Jun 27 What 3
News GOP congressman seeks to block changes to US cu... Jun '16 Just Saying 15
News Sarah Palin backs Donald Trump's 2016 bid (Jan '16) Jan '16 Kar 2
News Cruz has "problem" being a Canadian citizen: Trump (Jan '16) Jan '16 Cruz in a Teddy 1

Norwalk Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norwalk Mortgages