Tech school another five million, com...

Tech school another five million, come on!

Posted in the Nortonville Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Observer

Greenville, KY

#1 Jun 19, 2012
The paper says the sinking tech school is going to cost another five million (additional) dollars to shore it up.

But if you can believe this, the paper quoted one of the consultants as saying "everything observed at the site indicates that the soil will CONTINUE to move over a period of time."

Well, that's just dandy, five million now, maybe another seven million in a couple years, then maybe another eight million couple years after that, etc...

Darn good planning people!

The paper also, states "Had the collective team known before construction started what they know now, a different foundation would have been included as part of the construction work" (this quote from the same consultant).

So, why didn't they know? they certainly knew they were building on old abandoned mined property. Seems like SOMEBODY would have said "Hey, wait a minute, this may not be the best place."

Or maybe someone did say that, and a consultant said "shut up, we got a good price on the land."

Was there not an insurance policy taken out for this kind of stuff, or was a claim made and the adjuster said, this was forseeable?

Who is going to step up and take responsibility for this? who is going to say, geez, we sure messed up?

Sinking schools, ballparks in wetlands, vetrans memorial on a hill with no parking, idiotic art around town, a courthouse that cost millions but will have to be closed sporadically cause they don't have the money to pay the people who work there, etc...

What other projects do our leaders have in the works for "the people?"

I'd just as soon they leave us alone and quit doing stuff for us.
Amen

United States

#2 Jun 19, 2012
Wow
Layman

Greenville, KY

#3 Jun 19, 2012
Dont engineers know this stuff? Why didnt they have an engineer and not just an architect to make it look good. And, if they are 5 million into it and insurance is gonna pay 5 million, knock it over, sell the scrap, and get NEW planners to start a new one at a new location with the money. This one will always have a stigma. If this happened to your house and you got all the money back from insurance wouldnt you want to just build from scratch. Noone who is responsible with this one should have anything to do with it getting fixed. And any board member who makes excuses should be voted out. Looks like it was a matter of time before it sunk and many around here knew it. Hope the board is honest and dont try to cover it all up. All will come out on this one.... so they better fess up now.
Boardhasshoeinmo uth

Greenville, KY

#4 Jun 19, 2012
Didnt the head of the board say in the paper that you could barely tell there was a problem. $5,000,000 for barely a problem. I'm glad this wasnt a problem you could tell....it would have been 50 million.
uncle bob

Beaver Dam, KY

#5 Jun 19, 2012
Observer wrote:
The paper says the sinking tech school is going to cost another five million (additional) dollars to shore it up.
But if you can believe this, the paper quoted one of the consultants as saying "everything observed at the site indicates that the soil will CONTINUE to move over a period of time."
Well, that's just dandy, five million now, maybe another seven million in a couple years, then maybe another eight million couple years after that, etc...
The paper also, states "Had the collective team known before construction started what they know now, a different foundation would have been included as part of the construction work" (this quote from the same consultant).
So, why didn't they know? they certainly knew they were building on old abandoned mined property. Seems like SOMEBODY would have said "Hey, wait a minute, this may not be the best place."
Or maybe someone did say that, and a consultant said "shut up, we got a good price on the land."
Was there not an insurance policy taken out for this kind of stuff, or was a claim made and the adjuster said, this was forseeable?
Who is going to step up and take responsibility for this? who is going to say, geez, we sure messed up?
Sinking schools, ballparks in wetlands, vetrans memorial on a hill with no parking, idiotic art around town, a courthouse that cost millions but will have to be closed sporadically cause they don't have the money to pay the people who work there, etc...
You forgot about the coal truck the America in Bloom wants to display at exit 42. I am sure thousands will exit the parkway to see a coal truck.
Secret Keeper

United States

#6 Jun 19, 2012
Observer wrote:

You didn't mention all the empty factories, spec building.
Observer

Madisonville, KY

#7 Jun 19, 2012
Secret Keeper wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't mention all the empty factories, spec building.
Okay, you got me, I couldn't think of everything. Maybe I have a future as a "consultant."
Wanting to know

Owensboro, KY

#8 Jun 19, 2012
What happens to former economic developer. Guess he collected enough through the years to head south, probably the only smart decision he ever made.
Jesse

Madisonville, KY

#9 Jun 19, 2012
We need these great leaders to spend our money, we need them to tell us what to do, we need them to provide for us, we need them to think for us, we need them to do for us, we need them to get us a government program...
just saying

Owensboro, KY

#10 Jun 19, 2012
Sounds about right. Talk about a bunch of idiots who have nothing better to do than throw good money after bad. It's no wonder the area is in the shape it's in and I don't foresee any change
In the future.

“peace...”

Since: Apr 12

Madisonville, Ky

#11 Jun 19, 2012
Layman wrote:
Dont engineers know this stuff? Why didnt they have an engineer and not just an architect to make it look good. And, if they are 5 million into it and insurance is gonna pay 5 million, knock it over, sell the scrap, and get NEW planners to start a new one at a new location with the money. This one will always have a stigma. If this happened to your house and you got all the money back from insurance wouldnt you want to just build from scratch. Noone who is responsible with this one should have anything to do with it getting fixed. And any board member who makes excuses should be voted out. Looks like it was a matter of time before it sunk and many around here knew it. Hope the board is honest and dont try to cover it all up. All will come out on this one.... so they better fess up now.
Rain Man...what do you say now?
Whydoit

Owensboro, KY

#13 Jun 20, 2012
I just dont get the numbers. WE have spent 5 million so far. They expect to collect 5 million is insurance and litigation. And anything that cost 5 million is significant. "Fixes" like this have risks, and it MIGHT NOT work. Why are WE allowing them to spend OUR money to put OUR kids in a significantly patched building. If they are honest about the numbers, we are at zero, which is starting over. If they have spent 5 million and we get 5 milllion, start over. Get a new design team, new project team, build the same building, after checking the engineering, on a new location. I mean whats the hurry, they have already admitted THEIR mistake delayed opening of this school for 1 year, whats one more to make sure its right.
curious

United States

#14 Jun 20, 2012
does this debacle hurt bonding ability for the district? does this push a new hanson even farther down the road? i think so
teachers

United States

#15 Jun 20, 2012
layoff... cutback.... no raises... but james lee can find 5 million hoping its recovered. what if it is not.
Geologist

Boone, NC

#16 Jun 20, 2012
This is one of the most insane wastes of public money ever. Nobody is mentioning the extra liability insurance or the future change order work that will have to come into play. This is a mess.
Crazy

Clifty, KY

#17 Jun 20, 2012
It is apparent that the school board/superintendent made huge mistakes here. Maybe in who they believed, who they hired, or getting too excited and overlooking the forest for the tress. How can they just decide how to spendt another 5 million without being held responsible. County taxes are high because of the school tax. I'm sorry, but I dont think we should have to pay for these huge mistakes that any competent person would have seen from the get-go.
I think anyone who has to do with this should manup, and resign. Employees, consultants, site based, planning committee, you name it.
Question

United States

#18 Jun 20, 2012
If the city and government officials can't/won't intervene, maybe the governor needs to step in and take a look at what is happening. This might not constitute fraud, but it certainly sounds like mismanagement of public funds.
Samurai

Cadiz, KY

#19 Jun 20, 2012
They should of known how it was gonna be by the shape of the road that is going towards Earlington. That land will never settle. I just hope the Sports Complex doesn't sink.
Jumper

Owensboro, KY

#20 Jun 20, 2012
Crooks all of them!
Look

Powderly, KY

#21 Jun 20, 2012
Samuria is right. Look at the road to Earlington. Look at the road in front of Groves. Both are like a roller coaster. How could they NOT know. Who designed this? I blame Stevens, but some designer should have said no. If they had never worked on reclaimed land they should have found somebody who had.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Nortonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Joey Pleasant 1 hr karma 39
just be happy jwp 7 hr Eye C U 2 3
His 9 hr Outlaws 1
Rachel Levy Silverstein 9 hr ansdmf 6
Stone Been Outed 10 hr Eye C U 2 181
Cow wrestling John Wayne Murdoch 10 hr Spiffy 1
Hey it's me! 14 hr Never give up 124
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Nortonville Mortgages