what would you do
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#1 Nov 20, 2012
I'm just curious, what would you do if you had a close family member living in your
home & you caught them stealing from you? I'd like to know what you would do...
Only serious comments, please.
YUP

United States

#2 Nov 20, 2012
Well this is just me but i would confront them and ask why they thought they had to steal from me when all they would of had to do was ask and I would have let them have or borrow what they needed. Unless it was money for drugs or something like that.
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#3 Nov 20, 2012
I did confront them & they lied about it , and knowing I seen them get it. I think it's a
shame that your own family would steal from you. After all I've done for them. And
now I don't trust them either. They lie & steal, and they sure are not the person I use
to know, that's for sure. And this is really bad because they are family. And we would
have let them borrow it , if he would have only ask.
Well

Natural Bridge, VA

#4 Nov 20, 2012
Most of the time, people only steal money when they are using it for drugs or something illegal. If you allow this to go on, then you are only enabling them to continue with their habit, whatever that may be. Let me just say that this is not always the case, but most times, sadly it is. If I were you, I would forgive them one time and one time only. If it happens again, don't allow them to live with you or have access to your things. If they do and they can't find money to steal, they will find something else that is valuable and take it. I know this from experience. I had a cousin who lived with me for a few months. I had no idea he was stealing but when I found out, I let him know that I would forgive, but only one time. It happened again and I ended up losing alot of family jewelry that I can never get back. Not sure why your family member is stealing but I can guarantee you it's for something bad. Hopefully they will see how hurt you are by this and stop but odds are, they will find someone else to take from if they can't take from you. This is just my opinion though and I may be totally wrong. I wish you the best of luck and hope that things work out for you and your family.
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#5 Nov 20, 2012
Well wrote:
Most of the time, people only steal money when they are using it for drugs or something illegal. If you allow this to go on, then you are only enabling them to continue with their habit, whatever that may be. Let me just say that this is not always the case, but most times, sadly it is. If I were you, I would forgive them one time and one time only. If it happens again, don't allow them to live with you or have access to your things. If they do and they can't find money to steal, they will find something else that is valuable and take it. I know this from experience. I had a cousin who lived with me for a few months. I had no idea he was stealing but when I found out, I let him know that I would forgive, but only one time. It happened again and I ended up losing alot of family jewelry that I can never get back. Not sure why your family member is stealing but I can guarantee you it's for something bad. Hopefully they will see how hurt you are by this and stop but odds are, they will find someone else to take from if they can't take from you. This is just my opinion though and I may be totally wrong. I wish you the best of luck and hope that things work out for you and your family.
Yes, I am very hurt by this, because they are family. And you don't ever want to
think this about your family. And I wonder how they could do this? But they have
and ii can not be changed & they know they did this, too. Life has been pretty
hard for me the last few years & this sure don't help things. Thanks for your
opinion. And anybody else that has anything to say. Feel free to say it .Again
thanks.
Well

Natural Bridge, VA

#6 Nov 20, 2012
No thanks needed. It's actually refreshing to have a decent discussion on here! I'm sorry you are going through this...I've been there. It's just as hard on the family as it is the person with the habit, trust me. I've seen both sides. Thankfully, all that is behind me now and has been for many many years. One thing I will add is please don't turn your back completely. It's because of my family that my life was turned around. I mean, don't get me wrong, it took alot of work on my part but my family stuck by me and supported me....emotionally. It's hard to do but financially, you have to cut them off. They will manage and if they don't, you know what they need to survive, the basics, food, shelter, clothing. Nothing wrong with helping a person out but don't just hand over money or allow them to steal it. Again, I'm sorry you are having to deal with this. You will never get a straight answer now but sometimes, even they don't know why they do these things. It's tough but hang in there.
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#7 Nov 20, 2012
Because it is family, is why it is hurtful. If it was someone else, it wouldn't be as
bad.... And they are a close family member, I just can't see how their life has got
this way. But it has, & I wish it would turn around, but that's doubtful & wishful
thinking. It's just so sad & like I said the last several years have been very hard
for me too. thanks for listening. And I know what you mean about a decent talk
on here. I wish people would have more things to talk about & talk in a way that
you could actually have a decent conversation with them. I mean, that really is
what this site is all about.,isn't it ? Or should be.....
Well

Natural Bridge, VA

#8 Nov 21, 2012
Yep it should be that way but it seems like more and more people are only getting on here to trash another person. You're right, it hurts worse when a family member betrays you...and your trust. My momma always told me that no matter what you go through, God will never put things on you that you can't handle. And I have found that is so true! Hopefully you all can move past this and get the trust back that was broken. I will keep you in my prayers. Best of luck to you...:)
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#10 Nov 22, 2012
Thank you so much, it's good to know someone cares. Seems like I need all the prayers I can get. Everyone needs prayer. And yes I hope that things can work
out because of it being family. And people need to get on here & have a decent
conversation, I really think it would make this site much better.
Curious

Noblesville, IN

#11 Nov 22, 2012
If anyone has any feedback I would like to hear it. And I hope everyone had a
Happy Thanksgiving & eat lots of turkey!!
miner

Norton, VA

#12 Nov 25, 2012
Curious wrote:
I'm just curious, what would you do if you had a close family member living in your
home & you caught them stealing from you? I'd like to know what you would do...
Only serious comments, please.
Sounds like they might have a drug or some kind of problem and all you can do is ask them in a nice way
Bill

Christiansburg, VA

#13 Nov 26, 2012
I would borrow seemingly trivial amounts of money over a few weeks, until the value of your stolen property was accumulated. Then I would tell them that you will return their money if they return your stolen property, or a monetary equivalent.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mercy 15 hr evil devil 6
Rusti McGraw!! (Jun '15) Sat Guest 5
Inline hockey Sat 170Eeu 1
Cash for ladies Sat Horny 4
Lost daughter Sat Not racist 6
summer coffey (Jul '11) Jun 24 Mr_C 5
Who is he? Jun 23 Friend of a friend 4
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norton Mortgages