Review: Kaley Park Kennels

Review: Kaley Park Kennels

Posted in the Norton Shores Forum

jack mead

Cicero, NY

#1 Jul 29, 2010
looking for dog sitter
jack mead

Cicero, NY

#2 Jul 29, 2010
looking for dog sitter in muskegon mi. russel rd area
Lyndie

Holland, MI

#3 Jul 5, 2011
I called to inquire about pricing for boarding my dog here. The prices and walks per day were fantastic! However, I played phone tag for nearly a week and when I finally spoke with the owner, I felt like she was quite rude. Also, they don't operate on Sundays, and sounded as if there was absolutely no wiggle room on drop off/pick up times. I was looking to drop her off on a friday evening and pick her up on a sunday afternoon. However, you arent able to drop off after 4pm on Friday (I dont get out of work until 5) and you have to pick up by noon on Saturday. For wanting to go away for the weekend, this specific place just doesn't work.
Kyle

Traverse City, MI

#4 Oct 20, 2011
I'll add to above that she doesn't allow viewing of her kennels.
Rhonda Bailey Owner

Muskegon, MI

#5 Apr 2, 2012
I have been self owned for over 20 years and personally walk each dog a minimum of three times a day. The comment on playing phone tag works in both directions. I called numerous times and was unable to contact this particular person as well. Because of the constant walking and play time with each dog my hours are by appointment. As with most businesses, I am closed on Sunday, the only day I don't have office hours. I'm sorry this particular person felt I was rude, that was not my intent. I stand behind the quality, unrestrained time with each pet and overall love of what I do. The pets are my priority and for that I will not apologize.
Scott

Westland, MI

#6 Dec 17, 2012
Rhonda has always taken great care of my mother's dog when she is away. Wouldn't think of having anyone else take care of the dog. When she's not available on the phone it is because she's taking care of the dogs and she always calls bck.
Anonymous

Pontiac, MI

#7 Jun 22, 2013
I brought my dog in to this kennel a while ag for a short stay and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the way I was treated by the people I spoke with both before and after picking up my dog. They were very rude and extremely unhelpful. Also they do not allow you to see where your animal is kept which is very shady. I would recommend looking anywhere else to take yor animals to.
Rhonda Bailey- Owner

South Haven, MI

#8 Jul 8, 2013
Anonymous wrote:
I brought my dog in to this kennel a while ag for a short stay and I have to say I'm extremely disappointed in the way I was treated by the people I spoke with both before and after picking up my dog. They were very rude and extremely unhelpful. Also they do not allow you to see where your animal is kept which is very shady. I would recommend looking anywhere else to take yor animals to.
This statement is rather strange to me. If I was rude to you, which I highly doubt as I've been in business for over 20 years, then why would you make your appointment? If the experience on the phone disappointed you it makes no sense to me why you would make a reservation. As to viewing, no I don't allow people in the back with the other guests. This is discussed on the phone prior to the reservation. Again if this didn't please you before the reservation then you could have discussed this with me in more detail. Not allowing viewing is for the comfort of the animals. I maintain a quiet comfortable atmosphere and the constant viewing is very disruptive. Because of my non viewing policy there is no stress, no fear, and the pets are able to relax and enjoy their stay. This is offered to all my clients and I don't feel it's fair to jeopardize a kennel full of happy pets for the curiosity of a human. This may sound harsh, but my "kids" here rely on me to provide a safe, comfortable environment. When your pet is picked up you will know that he/she has had the upmost care and love... without the stress. I can't apologize for that. If you want referrals I have thousands, if you wish to discuss the matter, please call! I'm sorry if you were unhappy, but I can guarantee your pet was thrilled!
Jackie from Grand Haven

Wyoming, MI

#9 Jul 25, 2013
Ok, people complaining about the owner not allowing you to see the kennels, in which your beloved pet will be staying while your on Vacation.....
My, advice is to get over it! The reason she doesn't allow it is because it stresses your pet out when strangers walk in. Your pet is in an unfamiliar environment and by having strangers come in to see those kennels, freaks them out, I SHOULD KNOW, and here is why.....
I went on vacation last year for the first time in 3 years since I got my dog, he is 4 now. I had my dog stay at a kennel up north, because my cousin suggested it.(My dog is a poodle)(dogs in the past - German Shepard's)
It was a place where you could go in and see the kennels, all the dogs were barking so loud I could barely hear the young lady checking him in. When I returned a week later, my poodle had greeted me like he was going to bite me, growling and snarling at me. I was freaked, thinking, what happened to my sweet doggie. He also had blood shot eyes and his hair was falling out. PEOPLE, POODLES DO NOT SHED! Any way the point of this story is, my dog was stressed out majorly from the barking.
I just got back today from Vacation. I stopped at Kaley Park Kennels to pick up my dog. The owner was out walking him on the wooded side of the drive way. I pulled up, got out and said to the owner, " Here comes the real test "! My dog ran to me with his tail wagging and was kissing me! I couldn't believe it! No guilt for leaving him there, and very excited to plan my next vacation.
The owner is VERY professional in what she does, so STOP WHINING AND LET HER DO HER JOB! JUST TRUST THE PROCESS! And go on vacation and have a GREAT SUMMER!
Rhonda Bailey- Owner

South Haven, MI

#10 Aug 16, 2013
Jackie from Grand Haven wrote:
Ok, people complaining about the owner not allowing you to see the kennels, in which your beloved pet will be staying while your on Vacation.....
My, advice is to get over it! The reason she doesn't allow it is because it stresses your pet out when strangers walk in. Your pet is in an unfamiliar environment and by having strangers come in to see those kennels, freaks them out, I SHOULD KNOW, and here is why.....
I went on vacation last year for the first time in 3 years since I got my dog, he is 4 now. I had my dog stay at a kennel up north, because my cousin suggested it.(My dog is a poodle)(dogs in the past - German Shepard's)
It was a place where you could go in and see the kennels, all the dogs were barking so loud I could barely hear the young lady checking him in. When I returned a week later, my poodle had greeted me like he was going to bite me, growling and snarling at me. I was freaked, thinking, what happened to my sweet doggie. He also had blood shot eyes and his hair was falling out. PEOPLE, POODLES DO NOT SHED! Any way the point of this story is, my dog was stressed out majorly from the barking.
I just got back today from Vacation. I stopped at Kaley Park Kennels to pick up my dog. The owner was out walking him on the wooded side of the drive way. I pulled up, got out and said to the owner, " Here comes the real test "! My dog ran to me with his tail wagging and was kissing me! I couldn't believe it! No guilt for leaving him there, and very excited to plan my next vacation.
The owner is VERY professional in what she does, so STOP WHINING AND LET HER DO HER JOB! JUST TRUST THE PROCESS! And go on vacation and have a GREAT SUMMER!
Well Jackie, I think you summed up why I stopped viewing. I know it's difficult to trust someone with your beloved pet, but after 20+ years I think I've figured out what is best for the pets. I am so glad your little boy enjoyed his stay with us, and hope you bring him back soon! A calm dog is always happier than one that has been subjected to things it's not use to. Trust the process, I love that statement! Thank you so much!
Oakley5630

Mattawan, MI

#11 Jul 12, 2015
jack mead wrote:
looking for dog sitter
Stay away from Kayley Park Kennels they are rude say they walk your dogs but u have been there several times and have never seen them walking a dog they aren't even on the property! Takes days even weeks to contact them by phone is if you ask to see where your dog is staying they tell you no, REALLY? Are they hiding something?

Since: Jul 15

Mattawan, MI

#12 Jul 12, 2015
I agree they are rude, also there drop off and pick up times are very inconvenient for people that are going away for a weekend, not sure why they won't let you pick up on Sunday, you should be there walking and feeding the dogs anyway, maybe just a way to get that extra money for an extra night if lodging:/

Since: Jul 15

Mattawan, MI

#13 Jul 12, 2015
Rhonda Bailey Owner wrote:
I have been self owned for over 20 years and personally walk each dog a minimum of three times a day. The comment on playing phone tag works in both directions. I called numerous times and was unable to contact this particular person as well. Because of the constant walking and play time with each dog my hours are by appointment. As with most businesses, I am closed on Sunday, the only day I don't have office hours. I'm sorry this particular person felt I was rude, that was not my intent. I stand behind the quality, unrestrained time with each pet and overall love of what I do. The pets are my priority and for that I will not apologize.
Sorry but I have to agree with the comments of rude and very difficult to get ahold of, really don't think the pets are your priority as you say
BaileysMom

Muskegon, MI

#14 Jan 2, 2016
I have to say I'm irritated by these comments! We have been taking our dog to Rhonda at Kaley Park Kennels for over 4 years now and I have never encountered the issues mentioned above. Rhonda runs a business -- you schedule an appointment just like anything else (haircuts, dentist, eye doctor) why should she be at your beck and call for pick up/drop off? She'd have to be there 12 hours a day. I too was a little apprehensive about dropping our dog off and not seeing the facility, but now when I ask Bailey if she wants to go see Rhonda she flies to the car! She goes crazy when we pull in the drive and she's always happy to see us when we return. Rhonda and her family truly care about the dogs they take care. I would much rather have someone taking care of my dog who is "rude" to me (which I don't feel anyone at Kaley Park Kennels is) than someone who is sugary sweet to me but neglects my dog. Bailey will be going to Rhonda every time we have to leave town and I love that I don't have worry about her while we're gone! Rhonda and crew - keep doing what you are!
KaleyParkKennels

Muskegon, MI

#15 Jan 25, 2016
I must say that I'm very offended by the comment of one person... even though they wrote as if there were multiple people!. I apologize if I can't answer every phone call as it rings but I am hands on with the animals. The amount of time it takes to care for animals far exceeds what someone not in the business may think. And yes, I do actually walk the dogs.. one by one! This time with the dogs is our time and I do not answer the phone when I'm with my clients. I rely heavily on the voicemail but always return the calls. To reference the Sunday hours, this is the only day I don't have office hours. Yes, the dogs are taken care of but I do not go in the office. I'm in the back meeting the individual needs of each pet. This is also my only day to catch up on personal things I may have neglected over the week or possibly spend a couple hours with my family. And this is done around my normal schedule at the kennel! The clients that select 5 walks a day for their pet get that! When doing the math it's about every 4 hours. And depending on how many animals are housed you can imagine the amount of time I'm outside. And this schedule is 7 days a week, every day of the year! So please, before you start assuming the worst please get your facts. I've loved this job for over 25 years and have had thousands of wonderful customers. But I do have to admit, the animals are my priority. Their needs come before mine, the phone, or curiosity. I make no apologizes for that. I'm sorry you feel the need to bash quality care but wish you and your pet the best!
And BaileysMom, you're why I do what I do! Thank you for the kind words. And yes the dogs will tell the story!
theresachalko

United States

#16 Apr 14, 2016
Oakley5630 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry but I have to agree with the comments of rude and very difficult to get ahold of, really don't think the pets are your priority as you say
I am sorry I was looking at these reviews out of curiosity. I have known Rhonda for about 7 years now as a friend and she is ALWAYS doing for the dogs. She's always talking about walking the dogs and caring for them and makes them a priority. She is one of the most dedicated and hard working people I have ever met with a zest and passion for her career that is rare to see and always a smile on her face. My husband and I are getting ready to book our very first family vacation with our kids and will be enjoying playing phone tag with our lovely friend about caring for our 3 dogs while we are gone. PS. She doesn't show the kennel to friends either. So deal with it already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Norton Shores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What happened to Joellen Coon? (Apr '13) Aug 26 SPLAT 21
Teen Challenge Exposed! (May '07) Aug 17 Mary 187
News Grand Haven man bound over in election forgery ... Aug 8 Go Blue Forever 1
Michael. Jackson and Michigan's Adventure (Feb '14) Jul '16 Someone 2
Looking for an old aquaintance Jun '16 D416MO 1
News Renewing Port of Muskegon: Michigan Regional Pr... Jun '16 used and abused 1
News Miss Michigan's platform to highlight diversity... Jun '16 Kelly 1

Norton Shores Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Norton Shores Mortgages