Beware of Allen and Sons

South Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2008

So my gas dryer had no heat on 6/5/2008 and I called Allen & Sons Appliance Repair in Canoga Park, California and was told they could come look at it for free and if I didn't want them to fix it, the charge would only be $29.99.
Here is the catch, if you decide not to have them fix it, they will not tell you what is wrong with your appliance. So needing my dryer repaired in a hurry I bent over and had them fix it.
Get this, I was charged,$192.89 including labor for a fuse and thermostat that I later looked up on the internet using the part number on the old parts the repairman left behind and the total cost with shipping for both parts combined was $24.
The repairman was here for 15 minutes, so that works out to a labor rate of $771.56 an hour! and get this, included in the $192.89 was a $6 surcharge I didn't catch when I paid the bill.
Do not trust these guys, they will rape you and put you in a position to choose between being charged $30 for them just walking in your door ($45 for certain appliances) and then force an outrageous fee on you if you have them fix your appliance.
I understand you are paying for their labor and knowlegde but for parts that cost $24 and a repair that took less than 15 minutes from their arrival to departure, this is fraud.
You have been warned! Call someone else.
Allen & sons appliance repair are cheats
Calabasas, California
Evangaline E

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 26, 2008

Judged:

I don't know about the previous comment about Allen and Sons but my experience was pleasant as well as cheap. Timing was great and I would definitely use their services again.
jba0017

Inglewood, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 27, 2008

Judged:

Allen & Sons of Canoga Park stole an item from my home as they left.
Dont use this company

Long Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 14, 2008

We had two appliances that broke at the same time, a dishwasher and a microwave. They came over to assess these and order the appropriate parts. Once the parts arrived, they came back to do the repairs, but were only able to repair one of the appliances, stating they ordered the wrong part for the other appliance. One week went by and they returned to fix the second appliance. They failed to reassemble the microwave back together completely, and then when they asked for payment they tried to raise the price from what was originally quoted. After some arguing, they agreed to accept the originally quoted amount, and then left abruptly, steeling an item of personal value that was located by the front door as the abruptly exited.
After one week of the repair of the microwave, it again malfunctioned. I contacted Allen & Sons to come back. I scheduled an appointment and they called to confirm the appt two times the day prior. I called back to reconfirm. My husband waited at home all day and they never showed up. Turns out they left me a message on my cell phone at and b/c I didn't return their call to again reconfirm their appointment they just didn't show up. I called back to spoke with the manger to request a refund. I spoke with a secretary who confirmed a refund would be issued to me within 2 weeks. They I requested a call from a manager directly to confirm this, and when he called back he stated this was not true and that they can not refund my money. So after 4 visits, we are out $135 and our microwave still does not work.
elipp

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2009

these guys are a ripoff. I had them out to fix a refrigerator and they ended up breaking my icemake and refused to fix it. The part they did fix, they had told me they replaced a certain part and 6 months late its broken. I had GE come out and they said they whoever said they replaced this part, did not.
Doe

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 27, 2009

I called them regarding my refrigerator. I was very happy with the service call. Technician came after 2 hours and did incredible, wonderful and quick job. I recommend this company to my friends
santa monica

El Segundo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2009

Judged:

Allen & Sons is unprofessional, unresponsive and unqualified. They suck you in with their "only $29" service fee but then wildly inflate parts charges and overcharge for shoddy labor.
Cheri Woods

Las Vegas, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 1, 2010

I called this company only because they had a coupon advertised in a local mailer for $55. If you don't look closely, you will not see the fine print that reads "up to" before the $55. They have other coupons next to it for lesser amounts that do NOT say "up to." Fraudulent advertising!
The service tech was a very nice guy. I was extremely happy with him. He repaired my icemaker promptly. However, the next day I discovered it was still leaking. I called the company and he was right back out again, and fixed it properly. I would trust him in my home any time.
My only problem was their failure to honor their own coupon. This dispute was over the phone with the company (not the tech) who only offered me a mere $10 discount, the bill still amounting to more than Sears would have charged me WITHOUT a coupon! I am now having to dispute it with my credit card co. & BBB.
Tammy

La Mirada, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

My experience with Allen & Sons was not a good one. I would never use them nor recommend them to my worst enemy.
Gil

North Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 14, 2011

Still waiting...the tech comes for 5-10 mins & says that he'll have to ask his manager if he can fix my microwave door but hel. Cal us the next day. No call. I call back later that week, Leslie guarantees either he or she will call back. Guess what? No call. I call back a month later to see whats going on or getmy refund. Michelle offers me a sr tech but no refund. You wanna bet he won't be able to fix it???? Don't call them. You'll get swindled! Btw she said they don't have a CEO weird eh?
Angelina

La Habra, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 2, 2011

hi guys I used this company and had no problems.
http://www.myappliancerepairwoodlandhills.com... check it out. I think he's just one guy and not a huge company charging crzy prices.
Almost Duped

Canyon Country, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 17, 2011

I had the same experience. I was quoted $189 when my dryer quit heating. I had done some reasearch prior and new the thermal fuse was under $30 at retail. I asked the guy if he really planned to carge me $150 for 15 minutes labor. He said there was a $135 min labor charge. I told him I would fix it myself, and he said he would call his office. He then asked what I was willing to pay. I said $30 for the part,$30 for the call and $30 for the labor. He agreed and I paid $90. These guys are all crooks. But to me $90 was reasonable. If I had not questioned it, I really would have been taking advantage of.
Beware of Allen and Sons wrote:
So my gas dryer had no heat on 6/5/2008 and I called Allen & Sons Appliance Repair in Canoga Park, California and was told they could come look at it for free and if I didn't want them to fix it, the charge would only be $29.99.
Here is the catch, if you decide not to have them fix it, they will not tell you what is wrong with your appliance. So needing my dryer repaired in a hurry I bent over and had them fix it.
Get this, I was charged,$192.89 including labor for a fuse and thermostat that I later looked up on the internet using the part number on the old parts the repairman left behind and the total cost with shipping for both parts combined was $24.
The repairman was here for 15 minutes, so that works out to a labor rate of $771.56 an hour! and get this, included in the $192.89 was a $6 surcharge I didn't catch when I paid the bill.
Do not trust these guys, they will rape you and put you in a position to choose between being charged $30 for them just walking in your door ($45 for certain appliances) and then force an outrageous fee on you if you have them fix your appliance.
I understand you are paying for their labor and knowlegde but for parts that cost $24 and a repair that took less than 15 minutes from their arrival to departure, this is fraud.
You have been warned! Call someone else.
Allen & sons appliance repair are cheats
Calabasas, California
OReilly

Pasadena, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2011

Called them on 7/14..said they would come out on 7/15 between 6-9 a.m. They called shortly after 8a.m. and said where I live is "too far out" and they were not coming. However, I told them where I live they day before when we set the appt.
Very shoddy customer service. Owner or the scheduler is either a moron or just lazy.
The refused to come out as promised AFTER we waited for 2 hours on them! Don't use them. I cannot imagine what their service is like considering how they treat their customers!
Almost Duped too

Hermosa Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 25, 2012

Called them for a repair of a GE built-in 48" fridge. A&S quoted $969 in part,$300 in labor, total was $1,269. I can almost buy a new fridge for that. Called another company, got the repair done for $412. Do not use Allen & Sons. They are dishonest.
tyler

Azusa, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2012

These guys screwed me too. My grandmothers dryer would not heat. not having time to fix the thermostat myself I called Allen and sons. guy shows up dose estimate wants to charge me 200 dollars for 5 mins of work. If I say no he's going to charge me 50$ just for looking at my dryer for 2 min. so i called the office they they gave me 10 off and literally could not tell me why they charge so much for 5 mins of work. needless to say my grandmother was mad i paid them, she said u don't ever pay for an estimate because this is exactly what happens your put over a barrel. then she told me a "fool and his money are soon separated".:( sooooo take it from grandma DONT call these guys!
evas

Simi Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

I have a Samsung Inductive stove I had one little problem with one burner. Allen & Sons came out and replaced every board in the unit and when they lift I had two new problems, worse than the 1st.
The they called and asked if the service was ok and I said I hadn't checked the stove yet and they put down it was OK.
when I called to talk to a manager he didn't call back and after a week I called. He was very rude and told me to call a 2nd company.
Bad Service

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 2 hr Toppings 200,565
Napa quake damage to private homes, businesses ... 13 hr Wine 1
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) Wed Donny B 7,922
Judge OKs Court-Appointed Attorney For Lead Def... Tue Maria 2
Review: Northridge Dental Works Tue texasfilings 1
Text me I'm horny (Apr '12) Tue hornygirl56 20
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) Tue matches lighters 15,961
•••

Northridge News Video

•••
Northridge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Northridge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••