Penn State grad has a love story that spans the globe

Full story: The York Daily Record

Bob and Adine Hepburn spend time together twice a day at the nursing home in Northport, Ala., in which Adine resides.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Sep 18, 2010
Penn State Proud

Gettysburg, PA

#1 Sep 11, 2010
Thanks for doing a great and positive hunan interest story. Thanks to Bob for all his service and inspiration. It does a lot for Hanover and Penn State pride.
American Nationalist

Red Lion, PA

#2 Sep 12, 2010
This is a beautiful. Thanks for sharing.
Sybil in Tuscaloosa

Tuscaloosa, AL

#3 Sep 13, 2010
This article has been shared with our Sunday school class. Bob and Adine have been members of this class for several years at Forest Lake United Methodist Church. All of us are very fond of this couple and we thank you so much for telling their story. What an example for the young couples of today!
Lydia

Tuscaloosa, AL

#4 Sep 13, 2010
A great story about a very special couple. I'm blessed to have the gift of their friendship.
Laura Hunter

Tuscaloosa, AL

#5 Sep 13, 2010
To the reporter of the Hepburn article.
You captured the faithful, unconditional love that Bob and Adine have shared all these years. We in Tuscaloosa at Forest Lake United Methodist Church love the two of them.
I commend you on handling a lot of material, a number of years, and centering on the most important part of Bob's live. Penn State football, yes. Max the dog, yes. But Adine, unquestionably so.
Thank you for a heart-warming human interest story.
Molly C McGregor

Birmingham, AL

#6 Sep 18, 2010
Hey Frank:
Bob called me tonight to tell me about this article. He was going to send me a hard copy through the mail. I realized you probably had it on the web, so I sent the link to his daughter, Janet.
I met BH when I was a freshman at the University of Toledo. Bob was the University YMCA director. He influenced my life in a huge way. We have stayed close over the years, 42 at last count.
I later became a YMCA director myself, after graduating from the University of Toledo and being introduced to the YMCA by Bob and his encouragement. He even helped me to attend a World Council of YMCAs in Kampala Uganda, Africa in 1973. I retired from the YMCA in 2000.
Remarkably, my first job (after Toledo) was with the YMCA in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He had no idea I was applying and I had no idea Adine was from there. In fact, Bob Hepburn never told me much about himself, because he was always about other people. I never learned he had a purple heart until I saw it on his wall in 1999 when I visited him while at a swim meet with my son in Tuscaloosa.
He is one of the most unselfish men I have ever known, and truly a bonifide member of the Greatest Generation. My favorite memory of him is during "Kent State" in the spring of 1970 when he worked through the crowds at night on the campus during candle lit gatherings to keep them calm and be there to listen to them (you know, hippies and antiestablishment folks) while our fellow MAC conference students suffered at Kent State. He was a major reason why UT students did no worse than gather and protest the Vietnam War....it could have been much worse.
Thank you for your unselfish act of seeking him and Adine out and make their day by writing this article. I am sending it to those I know who knew Bob and his adult leadership during a tremendous time of turmoil.
In watching Paterno this past weekend, I could not help but think about the generation that produced people like Joe and Bob. They are leaders and achievers who don't want the glory, just want to do their job as long as God lets them.
Now Bob's job is not sitting in the Beer Stube sucking down 3.2 beer with us college students and listening to our stories (I never understood how Adine tolerated his late nights after YMCA meetings), his job now is hold Adine's hand as she drifts between life in a nursing home and the life God has promised her.
Bob will not be long in following her, as I am sure you could tell when you interviewed him. His ticker is not strong, but his heart is focused on her.
Bob read the epistle at my wedding in 1977. My husband passed away this past spring at the young age of 61. To have had the presence of BH, just down the road in T-town was a very important rock to lean on. You see, in many ways BH (that was my nick name for him)was a Dad to me and a source of support for all these years just like he was when I was only 18. The same age he was when he started his life at Penn State.
Thanks and Roll Tide
Molly McAvoy McGregor
mcgregors1@charter.net

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Abortion doctors restrictions take root in South 9 hr Ms_Julie 8
AL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Alabama i... (Oct '10) Thu TDS 214
Why does Alabama continue to elect dishonest Se... Aug 10 Morbious 2
Heather McCulllar Jul 31 Leanna 2
Just needed some opinions Jul 31 Spell Check 2
Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jul '14 Give Him a Brain 84
Review: CUB Cadet Of Tuscaloosa Jun '14 PAUL SHYKORA art... 2
•••
•••
•••

Northport Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Northport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••