Remains of notorious gangster Charlie Pitts still elude those f...

Full story: TwinCities.com 9
This text is replaced by the Flash movie. A DNA analysis, a 38-year-old Pioneer Press and an old Henry rifle have helped researchers solve the mystery about a skeleton in Northfield and whether it belonged to a ... Full Story
Choices

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Feb 20, 2009
How not to be remembered:

A bit grusome, but I expect displaying the dead carcass after a crime spree is ended by a bullet - that would tend to discourage a life of crime.
Tony Rozycki

AOL

#2 Feb 20, 2009
About 40 years ago I took a bus to Northfield, spent one night at a hotel there, bought some photo postcards related to the infamous bank robery, took a test, & later left one stamped self-addressed postcard with a professor to mail me a final U of MN grade. Think I still have the postcard somewhere.
Anyway, it was a photograph purporting to be the fresh corpse of Charlie Pitts. He was lying in the dirt, apparently on the Northfield street where he was shot & killed shortly after some brave Northfield citizens surprised the James-Younger gang of bank robbers including Pitts. If I remember correctly, the picture may reveal a bullet hole in his belly or chest. It supported the proposition that "Crime doesn't pay!"
(About six years later I was chatting with a sharp, very old and respected lady friend of my parents who told me about a time when she was young & was offered a ride home from a party by Cole Younger. I think that was after he was finally released from Stillwater Prison.)
Tony Rozycki

AOL

#3 Feb 20, 2009
Now that I actually finished reading the article, I see Pitts apparently survived another two weeks after the Northfield robbery. Wonder where the picture was taken & who was the photographer? I don't think Charlie was wearing a shirt when he had his postcard picture taken. Can't remember any other bank robbers who worked bare chested.
Mrs H

Concord, NC

#4 Feb 20, 2009
It might be time to bury this man
newsjunkie

Mankato, MN

#5 Feb 20, 2009
I enjoyed this story. It was quite interesting.
cash

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Feb 20, 2009
Interesting story. Funny, in the photo of the body, the guy sort of looks like Brad Pitt. I just saw a movie staring him as Jesse James called the Assasination of Jesse James - good flick.

Since: Feb 09

Richfield

#9 Feb 23, 2009
Interesting
Tony Rozycki

AOL

#10 Feb 27, 2009
Cash of Mpls sees a resemblance between Brad & Charlie Pitt...

I read somewhere that many people with the surname Pitt are descendents of the ancient Picts.

I believe the Picts lived in northern Scotland even before the arrival of the Scottish Celts. I think Canadian author Farley Mowat has written about the Picts in "Farfarers: Before the Norse". The title also reminds me of Gary Larson's "Far Side" cartoons!
Tony Rozycki

United States

#11 Dec 30, 2010
Saw the excellent new version of the movie True Grit a couple days ago. Speilberg, Coen Bros & Matt Damon. Got an especially big kick near the end of the flick when, after several decades, the now mature heroine Mattie Ross meets Cole Younger at his Wild West Show. I couldn't resist telling some of the True Grit viewers nearby that Cole & I have a mutual friend from Minnesota. Maybe one of the Coen Brothers saw this blog & was reminded of the Younger & James brothers? Tho apparently Mattie doesn't have a very high opinion of Cole, tho by then Younger had served his time at Stillwater. Now where can I find the old Duke dvd? Remember the Smith Brothers, Trade & Mark?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northfield Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mr. Sannes, Principal, Sibley Elementary Nov '14 Concerned Parent 1
Review: CMH Trucking Oct '14 Lawlesstrucker 1
Minnesota GOP: Back from the brink (Oct '13) Oct '13 Marv 1
Northfield Wifi (Jul '10) May '13 Sean Stevens 10
Two Northfield Men Arrested in Minneapolis for ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Load of Crap 1
Feds won't act against journalist in US illegally (Oct '12) Oct '12 Dee Dee Dee 12
Arrested illegal immigrant journalist won't fac... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Bridgework 21
Northfield Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Northfield People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Northfield News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Northfield

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 2:50 pm PST

Bleacher Report 2:50PM