Man sentenced in case involving boy

Man sentenced in case involving boy

There are 12 comments on the The Morning Call story from May 26, 2007, titled Man sentenced in case involving boy. In it, The Morning Call reports that:

Robert C. Benson, who founded the Northampton Animal Shelter, told a judge he ''failed miserably'' when he had a sexual relationship with a teenage boy.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Morning Call.

confused in northampton

Bear, DE

#1 May 26, 2007
A few months ago there was a woman in the paper from around the area who got jail time for having a affair with a younger boy, that was consenual between the two of them, how come this woman went to jail and Mr Benson gets a slap on the wrist, were is the justice here, just because he made a plea bargain that means he gets off easy. Is it because he's a known person in the community, that should not make a difference. I beleive the laws should be the same for all sex offenders.

“WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND”

Since: Apr 07

Whitehall

#2 May 26, 2007
confused in northampton wrote:
A few months ago there was a woman in the paper from around the area who got jail time for having a affair with a younger boy, that was consenual between the two of them, how come this woman went to jail and Mr Benson gets a slap on the wrist, were is the justice here, just because he made a plea bargain that means he gets off easy. Is it because he's a known person in the community, that should not make a difference. I beleive the laws should be the same for all sex offenders.
and his mother was ok with the plea??? she must be on crack....i just dont get this one.

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#3 May 26, 2007
I dont freakin get it..Hes getting off with a slap on the hand..What a wonderful judicial system...
DENNIS

Kennett Square, PA

#4 May 26, 2007
I AGREE WITH ZEPHYR;WHY IS THIS GUY ALLOWED TO SKATE;THE LAW IS THE LAW.
bob

Scranton, PA

#5 May 26, 2007
Once again the DA gives a sweet deal and a Judge nods. When will the deals end for sex offenders and sentences reflect the damage done to young minds. At his age right from wrong shold be clear. Smack on the wrist is not the way to go. Hard time is.

“DIRTY BIRDY”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#6 May 26, 2007
bob wrote:
Once again the DA gives a sweet deal and a Judge nods. When will the deals end for sex offenders and sentences reflect the damage done to young minds. At his age right from wrong shold be clear. Smack on the wrist is not the way to go. Hard time is.
Castration is the way to go..For all sex offenders...Maybe then they would learn that we are not going to tolerate it...
KY Nurse

Louisville, KY

#7 May 27, 2007
This is absolutely pathetic. As a former resident of the Lehigh Valley I cam completely outraged that public officials (whom the people elect) would support a probation deal for a sex offender. Obviously this man did not learn his lesson the first time around in 2001. The fact that he had contact with another young boy since then shows that he can not be rehabilitated. This man should never be allowed to walk the streets again. Consentual -whatever. Obviously the kid was manipulated by this freak. And unfortunately when this wacko does this again the focus will only be on him and not the Northampton County officials and judges who allowed this to happen.

Whether or not DA Morganelli was actively involved in this plea deal or not, as the head DA he is accountable for his subordinates actions. I would encourage the people of Northampton County to stand up and show your elected officials that this will not be tolerated. So much for them protecting the children!
NBAS Volunteer

Bangor, PA

#8 May 27, 2007
Bob, what has gotten into you? I can't believe you would do that! Think of what wil happen to the children at the shelter that volunteer! What will their parents do? They could take them away, and we need all the help we can get!
maggie

Whitehall, PA

#9 May 27, 2007
Nothing in this court system makes sense. a second dui in the course of 10 years brings you jail time, usually 2 years probation and all costs about $10,000 in the end for costs fees and fines and jail.
but you can have sex with a minor and have the judge say, "tsk tsk. don't do it again my friend."
KY Nurse

Louisville, KY

#10 May 28, 2007
maggie wrote:
Nothing in this court system makes sense. a second dui in the course of 10 years brings you jail time, usually 2 years probation and all costs about $10,000 in the end for costs fees and fines and jail.
but you can have sex with a minor and have the judge say, "tsk tsk. don't do it again my friend."
You're absolutely right. Nothing about this makes sense. We can not go back, but we can go forward. Will the people of Northampton County hold the DA's office responsible for approving this sweet deal? Everyone as an individual can be outraged about this, but unfortunately until you all stand up as a group and tell the DA's office, the judges, and the justice system that these deals with sexual offenders, including child predators (which is exactly what Benson is) are not okay and are not acceptable, it will continue to go on. What is more important - re-election or the safety and security of our citizens, especially the children?
NBAS volunteer

King Of Prussia, PA

#12 Jun 9, 2007
Are you a pedophile now or something?! seriously! i can't believe u would have a relationship with a child! ewww!! u r endangering the children who volunteer here! like i said that is disgusting! ewww!
tcjc

Myrtle Beach, SC

#13 May 22, 2012
I understand where everyone is coming from but do u know the whole story a lot of people judge things by what the media says well let me tell u dumb ***** the media is full of lies and decite they want their story to sell think about that before you judge because thoose who judge will be judged apon 7 fold so find out the facts before you run you're mouths

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 38 min R C Honey 310,472
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 46 min sonicfilter 1,274,451
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 14 hr Norbert of Norview 71,944
News Upside Allentown strengthens NIZ neighborhoods 18 hr silly rabbit 1
News Teen girl, boyfriend seek separate trials in mo... Wed silly rabbit 1
Is 40 Below the best club in the Lehigh Valley?? (Apr '08) Aug 25 Lucy 73
police officer robert busch Aug 25 silly rabbit 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Northampton Mortgages