Phoebe Prince Update: Nine Teens Charged in Girl's Suicide

Mar 29, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: CBS News

NORTHAMPTON, Mass. Nine teenagers face charges for allegedly hounding and harassing 15-year-old Irish immigrant Phoebe Prince, bullying her to the point where she hanged herself to end her misery.

Comments
1 - 20 of 787 Comments Last updated Mar 26, 2013
First Prev
of 40
Next Last
Luke Easter

AOL

#1 Mar 30, 2010
Phoebe Prince (R.I.P.)

LaVena Lynn Johnson, Jamie Leigh Jones, what’s been happening since?
Josie Lou Ratley and the end of innocence for 15 year-old Phoebe Prince,
To those who pushed this girl to suicide I say murder in the first degree,
And during plea-bargaining negations nothing less than the max felony.

The first three mentioned had different circumstances in their own right,
However, what makes this unique is that it did not happen over night,
There was a continual pattern of harassment by bullies in high school,
On at least one occasion it was witnessed by students & a teacher too.

Exactly what must these administrators, teachers and their parents do?
To stop these students from imitating life found in the Metro Park Zoo,
By the way, speaking of administrators & parents not one of them knew?
Oh but wait, there were some in the upper echelon who did have a clue.

Arriving from Ireland it started last September, the girl never had a chance,
Tragically found hanging at home two days before the high school dance,
Enough became too much as she sadly ended her life this past January 14,
Nine will face charges of statutory rape, assault and others, six were teens

Back to those in charge who were aware of the in person and online abuse,
What kind of message are they sending, how about this one, what’s the use?
This wasn’t a job after graduation where everyone has the status of an adult,
Neither was it in some hide away camp, commune or serect religious cult.

Not a remote island off the radar neither a far away galaxy did it take place,
South Hadley Massachusetts which is located in the good old United States,
Primarily conducted at school during school hours as classes were in session,
I Yahooed, Googled, you name it but no where could I find this in any lesson.

It was so devesatating that her brokenhearted parents just had to move away,
Wondering why none came forward so they could see their child another day,
Here’s a question, whose son or daughter is being bullied right now and where?
Hopefully in future instances those in charge will do more than say,“we care.”

Earlier this month Massachusetts Legislature passed anti-bullying legislation,
If that is really the case then how did this young lady die from strangulation?
There’s an age old question,“if a tree falls in the forest does it make a sound?”
Here’s a new 1,“if a law’s passed & U R a victim anyway why have it around?”

by Luke Easter
amy

Grand Junction, CO

#2 Mar 30, 2010
These morons should rot to death in jail.
Laura

Grand Junction, CO

#3 Mar 30, 2010
Hope they suffer long and hard.
amy

Grand Junction, CO

#4 Mar 30, 2010
As I wrote in another post - what kind of parents raise these morons? Where were they? I truly hope that these kids and their families suffer. Nothing will bring this girl back, but Karma can bring its own justice.
Pure

Keratsíni, Greece

#5 Mar 31, 2010
it seems to me that Phoebe was a sick person. I mean she was 15, she moved to a new town, a new country, and she already having sex with so many guys!! at 15!!

then she commits suicide in her closet because kids harrassed her and called her a slut.

I dont feel bad for her. I dont defend the kids that harrassed her either. but it was her decision to die, it was her decision to sleep with two guys. i mean you are in high school with teenagers. there is bullying going on around all the time. she should have complained or gone to court or something. I am all for laws against bullying and hazing. But pleeeease now. Stop with this "poor innocent little Phoebe" thing!!

Judged:

18

17

9

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
pucker up and kiss

Englewood, CO

#6 Mar 31, 2010
Pure wrote:
it seems to me that Phoebe was a sick person. I mean she was 15, she moved to a new town, a new country, and she already having sex with so many guys!! at 15!!
then she commits suicide in her closet because kids harrassed her and called her a slut.
I dont feel bad for her. I dont defend the kids that harrassed her either. but it was her decision to die, it was her decision to sleep with two guys. i mean you are in high school with teenagers. there is bullying going on around all the time. she should have complained or gone to court or something. I am all for laws against bullying and hazing. But pleeeease now. Stop with this "poor innocent little Phoebe" thing!!
No, your the sick person. The rational that she asked for it because she was, as you perceive it, permicious, is draconian by the standards of kids in that area. She was a vulnerable kid in not just a new town, but a new country just trying to fit in. You don't know if they pressured her to sleep with the boys, or if one of them raped her. So what if she slept with 2 guys? So what if she slept with 100! These kids did not have the right to knock books out of her hands, push her, hit her, or call her names, because they were jealous that she was a pretty, exotic girl dating the star athlete and they were not. Some of this bulling was going on in front of teachers. Several teachers who did not even open their mouths to say "stop"! Her parents did complained to the school, and still not one teacher acted to defend her. As one who knows, as an person who has lived in several countries, in a new country, you are not always aware of your local rights. They may not have known or had the money to hire a lawyer. I hope that the parents are able to use their grief to sue the crap out of this school and the families of these thugs. They should never have a shot of ever attending any university because of what their parents have saved for them. If the money is takien and thrown up in the air, those thugs should not keep it.
PrettyinPink

Flushing, NY

#7 Mar 31, 2010
Pure wrote:
it seems to me that Phoebe was a sick person. I mean she was 15, she moved to a new town, a new country, and she already having sex with so many guys!! at 15!!
then she commits suicide in her closet because kids harrassed her and called her a slut.
I dont feel bad for her. I dont defend the kids that harrassed her either. but it was her decision to die, it was her decision to sleep with two guys. i mean you are in high school with teenagers. there is bullying going on around all the time. she should have complained or gone to court or something. I am all for laws against bullying and hazing. But pleeeease now. Stop with this "poor innocent little Phoebe" thing!!
Those pathetic looking boys that taunted her - they're lucky any girl looks twice at them - were they gay? I heard they were.
Pure

Keratsíni, Greece

#8 Mar 31, 2010
"pucker..." my point is that she really had sthg wrong in her head to commit suicide because of this. I mean a normal person wouldn't commit suicide because he/she is being bullied. That was my point. Now everybody victimises her but you to me this girl wasn't normal in the first place. For committing suicide and for hurting her parents and her family the way she did.
Another thing, she moves to a new town, a new country, and within a few months she manages to sleep with not one but two football guys. It doesn't surprise me that she was bullied by the girls in her high school. I am not defending the girls that were harrassing her, but you know you're talking about kids in high school. Did you see the pictures of the girls being accused? they're kids!! Let alone that Phoebe was just 15 years old, and already sleeping with many senior high guys. To me that's not normal, even by US standards that is a very young age. Enough of this victimizing, she is the one who decided to end her life. I am not religious, but I think the Bible says you go to hell when you end yoru life.
From what I read nobody forced her to have sex, am I wrong? It was "statutory rape" because the guy was 18 and she was just 15. Sick...
Professor

Bronx, NY

#10 Mar 31, 2010
Pure-- You are a very stupid person to say the things you have said or you are just plain evil,
maybe both. This poor girl was terrified. Have you no shame?
Sarah

Grand Junction, CO

#11 Mar 31, 2010
For these kids, their families, and everyone at the school who knew about these actions - may they NEVER rest in peace.

“We Have A Lot Of Work To Do”

Since: Feb 10

Brecksville

#12 Mar 31, 2010
Pure wrote:
"pucker..." my point is that she really had sthg wrong in her head to commit suicide because of this. I mean a normal person wouldn't commit suicide because he/she is being bullied. That was my point. Now everybody victimises her but you to me this girl wasn't normal in the first place. For committing suicide and for hurting her parents and her family the way she did.
Another thing, she moves to a new town, a new country, and within a few months she manages to sleep with not one but two football guys. It doesn't surprise me that she was bullied by the girls in her high school. I am not defending the girls that were harrassing her, but you know you're talking about kids in high school. Did you see the pictures of the girls being accused? they're kids!! Let alone that Phoebe was just 15 years old, and already sleeping with many senior high guys. To me that's not normal, even by US standards that is a very young age. Enough of this victimizing, she is the one who decided to end her life. I am not religious, but I think the Bible says you go to hell when you end yoru life.
From what I read nobody forced her to have sex, am I wrong? It was "statutory rape" because the guy was 18 and she was just 15. Sick...
Your IP says you're from Greece, so I'll assume you're not an American with extensive knowledge of our culture and how things work. People usually don't kill themselves because they are bullied, but the thought of killing oneself is very common among teenagers in America. Add onto that the fact that this girl was bullied much worse than most people experience. I don't feel she was sick or demented or anything like that. She was pushed to the point where she felt there was no other way out, and that means she was pushed pretty far.

If you've ever read anything about suicide, you'll realize that the people considering it are not thinking about the people around them. They only focus on themselves and how everything is dark and terrible for them. No thought on their mind concerns how this will make their family or friends feel because they can't get past their own pain. If you've ever tried to talk someone out of committing suicide, you'd know one strategy to use is so mention family and friends that truly care about the person and talk about how this person's death would impact them.

Being new in an area is very hard for a lot of people, especially for teenagers. A person in a new place looks for acceptance in any way they can get it, so I'm not surprised that she slept with these guys. If the girls took the time to try and understand why Phoebe did what she did instead of just making fun of her for it, Phoebe could have found some healthy acceptance and would not have needed to have sex with guys to feel accepted. Teenage girls are cruel when they are attacking another girl. Yes, they may be kids, but no one with a heart should attack another human being to the point where they feel suicide is their only means of escape. Jealousy and cruelty turn kids into monsters.

Let's clean up a few loose ends here. If the guy was 18 and she was 15, he should face statutory rape charges. For US standards, 15 is young to have sex, but that age is not out of the ordinary and is becoming more and more common. Yes she decided to take her own life, but people pushed her to that point. A person is truly a victim when others make it their goal to make your life a living Hell. As far as the whole Hell thing goes, the Bible needs to be interpreted, not taken word for word in every sense. Many people do believe if you commit suicide you will go to Hell. That belief was especially strong in the Middle Ages. However, let's go with the whole 'don't judge other people unless you want to be judged' thing and let God decide where she ends up. That's not our call and we really don't do anyone a favor by speculating.
pucker up and kiss

Englewood, CO

#13 Mar 31, 2010
Pure wrote:
"pucker..." my point is that she really had sthg wrong in her head to commit suicide because of this. I mean a normal person wouldn't commit suicide because he/she is being bullied. That was my point. Now everybody victimises her but you to me this girl wasn't normal in the first place. For committing suicide and for hurting her parents and her family the way she did.
Another thing, she moves to a new town, a new country, and within a few months she manages to sleep with not one but two football guys.,
There are people who will kill themselves not matter what. But there can be intervening circumstances that can cause someone, especially that young to see the problem as having only one final solution. At that age, emotions are so liable all it takes is a little pushing. She did not mean to hurt her parent. In fact, in her young head she may have thought that if she was dead it would be better for her family.
Now many kids are bothered at school and never kill themselves, but you never see the kids who get psychiatric treatment before they kill themselves or those who make suicide gestures with wrist cutting or taking too many aspirin's. Everyone does not have the same strength to endure.
Hanging is so final that she saw no other solution to her problem. It is one of the methods that is normally reserved for Men. Men tend not to gesture, they tend to be successful at killing themselves. Teen girls tend to gesture. This was no gesture.
Two boys in 6 months is in the norm today. 26% of girls her age have had sex. Most women have an average of 9 partners in a life, with the majority of partners in the first year of sexual activity. Men adverage 32 partners. Big difference! Remember that people under report on their sex life, so the adverage may be more. You must be well over 50 or not have kids to not know this. Even in Greece, where there is far more restrictions on sexual activities for girls due to the restrictions of leaving the home unaccompanied by a male relative or older woman, and yet the numbers of partners are still almost the same in Greece as the states. Always thought that was so funny, since there are no restrictions for boys, who in the hell are they sleeping with?! I doubt that you would keep coming back to kid's sex life if this was a boy. Her parent likely thought that she would adjust better if she just gave her a little "space", never knowing that that was the last thing she needed.
Yes, the kids that did this to Phoebe were young, but if they took a gun and put it to her head, would they be less responsible? It was against the law to cyber stalk her in their town. It was against the schools policy, the one that was not enforced. We are not talking about 5 year old, we are talking about teens who should have known better. People chose how they torture not just because it is the only method avaliable, it is because it is the things that they know would hurt them. The things that would drive them crazy. This girl had no psych history before this. She had not attempted to harm her self prior to this. All roads lead to her being bullied.
Think of it like this. If every day you went to work and your boss slapped you, and your co workers poured coffee on you. Then you logged in to your computer and there were lies about you posted on the company site present. Then you went home to work and your were bombarded with IM's calling you names. The CEO and personnel director heard what was happening and never intervene in spite of your complaints for 6 mos to a year. You would begin to feel hopeless and helpless. Even as an adult, it would drive you to desperation. Now do you get it?
Pure

Markópoulo, Greece

#14 Mar 31, 2010
I am currently in Greece. I am not Greek but I am not American either!

Sleeping with guys to feel accepted? At 15? Wow! Maybe I am too conservative, but for me that's just wrong! If that's the case then this girl really had major psychological issues as I said. Maybe her parents are to blame also.

I know the "mean girls" were a nightmare to her, but I maintain, I don't think they are responsible for her death AND I don't think they deserve to spend years in jail. They should be punished, yes definitely, but they also get a fair trial.

Sorry but I don't feel sympathy for Phoebe, killing yourself is something extremely evil. And having sex at 15 shouldn't be the norm. She wasn't that innocent for me.
just me

Springfield, MA

#15 Mar 31, 2010
"Pure" has a point. There's more here than meets the eye although none of it excuses extreme bullying of any kind. She obviously was deeply troubled on some level to begin with, had family issues and was promiscuous (15 is way to young to be sexually active, period). There's been stuff printed about her having problems in her home country - nothing is ever black & white. My guess is she made enemies of the mean girls by sleeping with their love interests. That's a sticky situation for school administrators to police to say the least and they can't do anything about what these kids do out of class - texting, cyber messages etc.
Pure

Markópoulo, Greece

#16 Mar 31, 2010
I totally understand your point. I am not 50 (I am much younger than that) but I do find it unusual to have so many sexual partners at such a young age, guy or girl. I see kids her age and I think you are still a child at 15. This shouldn't be the norm and the media should have said sthg about this. In the US you do have statutory rape laws for a reason. I am just trying to say that Phoebe was unusual even by US standards and according to me she wasn't normal.
If I were bullied at work, yes I'd be extremely depressed, but I would not take my own life. Maybe I'd think about it under extreme circumstances (like if i were at Abu Graib prison or sthg) then again I am not sure I would. I think teens are between innocence and adulthood, that's why they tend to be depressed. My point here is that this girl wasn't that innocent.
I dated a girl once that was suicidal, but let me tell you sthg she wasn't innocent. To me people that are like that, are people that hate themseleves, and they hate themselves because they aren't good. The girl was a cheater even and when I would point out the truth to her, and she would threaten to commit suicide. Actually I learned later that she tried to commit suicide while she was with another guy! She cut her veins and was sent to the hospital. All that the other guy did was tell her the truth, that she was a bad bad girl!
My point is that a good person doesn't commit suicide. I am sorry but I will stick to this.
Internet Junkie

Elizabethtown, KY

#17 Mar 31, 2010
I live in Kentucky and the way this has been handled by the school is obscene. While the bullys need to be prosecuted, I hope that the people in the area demand prosecution of the school officials who were aware of what was going on. They are equally culpable.

“what does it all mean?”

Since: Apr 09

somewhere in Bavaria

#18 Mar 31, 2010
Pure wrote:
I totally understand your point. I am not 50 (I am much younger than that) but I do find it unusual to have so many sexual partners at such a young age, guy or girl. I see kids her age and I think you are still a child at 15. This shouldn't be the norm and the media should have said sthg about this. In the US you do have statutory rape laws for a reason. I am just trying to say that Phoebe was unusual even by US standards and according to me she wasn't normal.
If I were bullied at work, yes I'd be extremely depressed, but I would not take my own life. Maybe I'd think about it under extreme circumstances (like if i were at Abu Graib prison or sthg) then again I am not sure I would. I think teens are between innocence and adulthood, that's why they tend to be depressed. My point here is that this girl wasn't that innocent.
I dated a girl once that was suicidal, but let me tell you sthg she wasn't innocent. To me people that are like that, are people that hate themseleves, and they hate themselves because they aren't good. The girl was a cheater even and when I would point out the truth to her, and she would threaten to commit suicide. Actually I learned later that she tried to commit suicide while she was with another guy! She cut her veins and was sent to the hospital. All that the other guy did was tell her the truth, that she was a bad bad girl!
My point is that a good person doesn't commit suicide. I am sorry but I will stick to this.
Yes, you do stick to your point unswervingly, and now I see why. You had a bad experience with a girl whose behavior reminds you of what you have read about Phoebe Prince and you transfer your hurt feelings to her. You seem to be grasping at all sorts of different accusations to smear the victim. You insist that the perps get a fair trial, but you have put the victim on trial and you have no intention of being fair, but you make a flurry of diverse accusations to discredit her. "Major psychological issues," and "evil" as well? And this: "I am not religious but..." and then you say she is going to hell??? That makes no sense, but I see clearly that making sense is not you aim, but only to vent your anger at someone who hurt your feelings by attacking Phoebe Prince.

“what does it all mean?”

Since: Apr 09

somewhere in Bavaria

#19 Mar 31, 2010
just me wrote:
"Pure" has a point. There's more here than meets the eye although none of it excuses extreme bullying of any kind. She obviously was deeply troubled on some level to begin with, had family issues and was promiscuous (15 is way to young to be sexually active, period). There's been stuff printed about her having problems in her home country - nothing is ever black & white. My guess is she made enemies of the mean girls by sleeping with their love interests. That's a sticky situation for school administrators to police to say the least and they can't do anything about what these kids do out of class - texting, cyber messages etc.
Thanks for pointing out that nothing excuses extreme bullying. It is of course possible that Ms Prince was troubled and had family issues. Bullies have a way of targeting people who are troubled, it seems to bring out their predatory instincts. Now, with the Internet, great power to do harm has been given to bullies, who can now reach more deeply into the lives of
their victims than ever before. If Ms Prince was indeed troubled, and the bullies knew this, doesn't that make them even more blameworthy?
However, I am always suspicious of these attempts to label someone as "troubled." It is easy to attach labels to people who exhibit behavior that is not approved by those in authority (including those cliques of mean girls who rule their little worlds as ruthlessly as a dictator). We will never know because Phoebe Prince is not here to defend herself, but what some might consider a psychological imbalance might also be considered an asset to society. What some might call "deeply troubled" might, to more sympathetic observers, be called "artistically gifted and sensitive." People label these things according to their own predilections, but usually the way we choose to judge others tells us more about the person making the judgment than about the one being judged.
menot there

Cork, Ireland

#20 Mar 31, 2010
Just because she slept with someone doestn mean she is a slut,whore or trollop you must know something about her life to say you are judging her ??? she did not deserved to have that done to her. Ya there is alot of bulling but people are afraid if they report it or may not be strong enough to stand up and say help. Id say your not that old by the way you talk stand back and take a look at your life and look at all the the horrible things you do sexually or not and judge yourself no one is perfect and if you think you are then god help you cause you need it...
Pure wrote:
it seems to me that Phoebe was a sick person. I mean she was 15, she moved to a new town, a new country, and she already having sex with so many guys!! at 15!!
then she commits suicide in her closet because kids harrassed her and called her a slut.
I dont feel bad for her. I dont defend the kids that harrassed her either. but it was her decision to die, it was her decision to sleep with two guys. i mean you are in high school with teenagers. there is bullying going on around all the time. she should have complained or gone to court or something. I am all for laws against bullying and hazing. But pleeeease now. Stop with this "poor innocent little Phoebe" thing!!
Pure

Athens, Greece

#21 Mar 31, 2010
gompertz, i think people the media should condemn suicide

you should do some research about the reasons why people become suicidal

yes i stick to my point

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 40
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Northampton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
MA Who do you support for Governor in Massachusett... (Oct '10) Aug 16 Kundrot dionkie 1,163
MA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Massachus... (Oct '10) Aug 2 Kundrot dionkie 4,699
Woods Hole Film Festival Gears Up for 23rd Year Jul 31 Cheryl D 1
life ruined Jul '14 insane 2
Massachusetts college selling campus house for $1 Jun '14 wichita-rick 2
Easthampton cocaine dealer Marcella Severance s... May '14 jamie mulolland 1
Smith College Students Continue Fight Over"Disc... Apr '14 Muscles28079 1
•••
•••
•••

Northampton Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Northampton People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Northampton News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Northampton
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••