Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing i...

Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing in Southern Indiana

There are 77 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 9, 2013, titled Indianapolis archdiocese downsizing in Southern Indiana. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

The archdiocese of Indianapolis says it will decrease the number of parishes in southern Indiana from 30 to 20 due to shifting populations in area communities.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Since: Feb 13

West Lafayette, IN

#1 Jun 14, 2013
I read in the Star last weekend that St Gabriel's was on the "endangered" list and its future would be reevaluated in another year. Is it because the membership has dropped considerably or just because Connersville itself has shrunk in numbers? I would think closing the church would be devastating to the town for any number of reasons. Surely that would mean the school would also be closed? I just can not imagine that.
Survey

Madison, IN

#2 Jun 14, 2013
A lot of the parishioners have complained about the current priest at St. Gabes in the past. This may have something to do with it.
Zznuts

United States

#3 Jun 14, 2013
St Gabs is raising money with pledges and spending lots of money. New heating, air conditioning fixing pews and kneelers, new carpet
It wont close. If they could get current priest out, they would have more members but he has another year, some jubilee (50 years of priesthood).
On line article does not mention endangered list...

Since: Feb 13

West Lafayette, IN

#4 Jun 14, 2013
That's good to hear. It WAS in the actual newspaper article. Sorry to hear about the priest situation though. That can happen. The church is beautiful and historical so I hope the parishioners can hang in there another year.
Trish

Redkey, IN

#5 Jun 17, 2013
JCPTM wrote:
That's good to hear. It WAS in the actual newspaper article. Sorry to hear about the priest situation though. That can happen. The church is beautiful and historical so I hope the parishioners can hang in there another year.
Are you sure it is the St. Gabriel's in Connersville they were talking about? There is also a St. Gabriel's Catholic Church in Indianapolis.

Since: Feb 13

West Lafayette, IN

#6 Jun 17, 2013
They didn't say St Gabriel's, the article named a few towns and one was Connersville. I knew ST G was the only Catholic church in C'Ville.
Catholicism is a Cult

Muncie, IN

#7 Jun 17, 2013
The bottoms of many boys will be spared with less priests around.

The Catholic Church is the most connected and organized pedophile ring in the world. Its front as a religious organization is just a ruse.
Lord Xenu

Connersville, IN

#8 Jun 18, 2013
I found something that changed my life, Dianetics by L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology. Many people call Scientology a cult but, for me, it saved my life. Before I became "clear" I too had all So, this Sunday stay home and study some Scientology.
a Lutheran

Connersville, IN

#9 Jun 18, 2013
Catholicism is a Cult wrote:
The bottoms of many boys will be spared with less priests around.
The Catholic Church is the most connected and organized pedophile ring in the world. Its front as a religious organization is just a ruse.
Your am idiot. Did you know that one in five US citizens get their healthcare from a Catholic hospital? Did you know that the Catholic congregations in the US are the single largest contributors to charities? I could keep going on but I feel it would be a waste of my time, as you are obviously an uneducated bigot.
Grand Dragon

Cincinnati, OH

#10 Jun 21, 2013
a Lutheran wrote:
<quoted text>
Your am idiot. Did you know that one in five US citizens get their healthcare from a Catholic hospital? Did you know that the Catholic congregations in the US are the single largest contributors to charities? I could keep going on but I feel it would be a waste of my time, as you are obviously an uneducated bigot.
Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
Mary

Batesville, IN

#11 Jun 21, 2013
Grand Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
You and "a Lutheran' are probably
related. don't agree with your thinking.
a Lutheran

Connersville, IN

#12 Jun 22, 2013
Grand Dragon wrote:
<quoted text>
Your words about the healthcare are great but you can't deny that there is a huge problem with the priests preying on boys. Get your head out of the sand.
Unfortunately I would have to agree with the priest issue. I was simply trying to get across to the moron that the catholic church is not a cult. They are actually a great service to our society. They do have a ways to go to mend there fences with the pedophile issues. With that being said some of the most "Christian" folks I know are Catholics.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#13 Jun 22, 2013
a Lutheran wrote:
<quoted text>Unfortunately I would have to agree with the priest issue. I was simply trying to get across to the moron that the catholic church is not a cult. They are actually a great service to our society. They do have a ways to go to mend there fences with the pedophile issues. With that being said some of the most "Christian" folks I know are Catholics.
The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#14 Jun 22, 2013
There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world.

The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society.

I hardly think that Catholicism fits the description of 'cult'.
TheChurchLady

Connersville, IN

#15 Jun 22, 2013
Fundamentalist Christians are the true cult! Think about it!

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#16 Jun 22, 2013
Catholicism is a Cult wrote:
The bottoms of many boys will be spared with less priests around.
The Catholic Church is the most connected and organized pedophile ring in the world. Its front as a religious organization is just a ruse.
Pastor arrested for raping mentally handicapped child
Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Tammy Curtis, Staff Writer

A Cave City pastor was arrested on Jan. 25 for felony rape following an investigation that began with an emergency call on Jan. 15. The 911 call was from the mother of a 15-year-old female victim regarding an incident of alleged sexual contact between the pastor and the young woman who is mentally handicapped.

So this AUTOMATICALLY means that ALL protestant pastors rape mentally handicapped women! Right? I thought so.
a Lutheran

Louisville, KY

#17 Jun 22, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.
see lady rivers quote below. Seems you are the one that should be fact checking. At least learn the definition before you accuse someone. As for the hospitals I guess the reason you see priests and nuns walking about St. Vincents is because the are prop characters? You will probably continue to believe that 1.5 billion people are wrong......but you are right.

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#18 Jun 22, 2013
Lady River wrote:
There are an estimated 1.2 billion Roman Catholics in the world.

The word cult in current popular usage is a pejorative term for a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre by the larger society.

I hardly think that Catholicism fits the description of 'cult'.
Thank you for the copy and paste from wiki encyclopedia. The term "popular usage" tells you it's not the actual definition. Many definitions include the following of a person or leader such as in the Catholic Church. The pope is not the vicar of Christ or His representation on earth.

“wanna dance?”

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#19 Jun 22, 2013
ohmygoodness, you caught me out. I copied and pasted! Catholics believe the Pope IS Christs' representative on earth. You do NOT believe it. I have no problem with your beliefs. You shouldn't have a problem with the beliefs of others. Last I checked, we ALL still have the freedom of religion. No?
Jill

Batesville, IN

#20 Jun 22, 2013
Outside-the-box wrote:
<quoted text>
The Catholic Church is not a great service to society and never has been. These so called "catholic" hospitals you speak of are simply by name. Hospitals are business and if you think other wise you need to read. I would be more than happy to challenge any point you could make that Catholicism isn't a cult. It has been since Constantine decided to "convert" to appease the masses meanwhile creating "church" doctrine to manipulate people.
I am not a Catholic.......but I have never ever thought of that religion as a 'cult'.......it seems very similar to the Lutheran Religion........If I were to think of any religion as 'cultish' it would be Scientology..........and I could be 100% wrong.....just as I think you are 100% wrong on your judgment on Catholicism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Aaron Murray Middle School teacher molestation 20 hr amber 8
Amber Couch.Chris Couch-HIV infected 20 hr amber 4
Jamie Fluhr (Brandenburg) Jul 24 Weweni 4
News Guilty a second time in 4 murders (May '07) Jul 18 Mick No USA 2
Stroll action in Seymour? Jul 17 JOHN CORBIN 2
lisa Elaine Jul 16 no one 2
Where is all the female Nymphos? Jul 15 That1Guy 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

North Vernon Mortgages