1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated Jun 23, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Want to know

Madison, IN

#1 Oct 24, 2012
Any laid off workers on here?
We hear it's lack of money, then we hear it's because of a faulty braking system? We hear there's massive orders 'in the pipeline', but still failure to produce.

What REALLY gives with the plant closure? Any insights would be appreciated.
Understanding Citizen

North Vernon, IN

#2 Oct 26, 2012
It is for both reasons actually. Investor funds are anticipated, but are not here yet. Also, the brake system is a new feature for the product which is being added now. There are orders in the sales pipeline, and everyone at the plant hopes to be able to fulfill them as soon as possible.
Buster

Franklin, IN

#3 Oct 27, 2012
Understanding Citizen wrote:
It is for both reasons actually. Investor funds are anticipated, but are not here yet. Also, the brake system is a new feature for the product which is being added now. There are orders in the sales pipeline, and everyone at the plant hopes to be able to fulfill them as soon as possible.
I kept hearing about these orders in the pipeline, just not sure I believe it. Any serious substantial investor would know about them and act accordingly, not letting the plant shut down.

Everybody at the plant hopes to be able to fulfill them as soon as possible? There's nobody at the plant as they were all laid off.

Here's the problem with Windstream Technologies. They screwed around with tiny orders up until the closing, to installations far to far away and far to wide. Of the several email inquiries over the last 6 months not one was EVER replied to. Not a damned single one.

That tells me it's all about money and self elevated self importance to one or two key people. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the product but not the company any longer because they have failed me and failed my confidence in their abilities.

You can't continually globe trot touting a product and traveling about the world installing at minimal facilities and earn a dime. All you do is burn through money till it's gone. That is in my opinion what has happened here.

It's too bad too because there is a real market for the product right here in the US. We'll probably never see it at any consumer level. There's nothing I would like better to see them succeed and me being able to buy their product.

Maybe the new solar plant in Osgood will hire some of the displaced Windstream workers. We can only hope.
NV Resident

Louisville, KY

#4 Oct 31, 2012
Whoa there, Buster. Bitter are we?
Buster

Madison, IN

#5 Nov 1, 2012
NV Resident wrote:
Whoa there, Buster. Bitter are we?
Not bitter at all as I have no connection with the company or any association with the industry. My concerns, questions and general distrust of what myself as a taxpaying citizen is told of when heavily 'incentives' flush companies fail is the concern.

We as a nation are not even close to being ready to viably embrace most any green energy schemes. There are no systems that are economically prudent from what my studies can determine, that work long term in any business model. History repeats itself again and again with failures.

Please don't take these observations and determinations to be a sign I don't embrace or like green energies, I love them.(I own and use some solar myself) There are good products for specific applications that are top notch. There is a place for solar, wind and other combinations of alternative power, we just fail over and over again with any resemblance of a sustained model for production, delivery, marketing, integration and profit.
chester

Madison, IN

#6 Nov 5, 2012
How much money are the property owners and taxpayers in the TIF zone out on Windstream? 1.2 million dollars? Would have helped the schools or the roads much more lasting IMO.
stiffed supplier

United States

#7 Nov 15, 2012
The company was being run by a CEO in California with ops in Indiana, a contract CFO in San Francisco who would not return calls and local work force being mislead about their financial condition. They represented they had cash and were paid by customers when the order is placed. Based on these assertions and confirmation of the grant from Lawrenceburg, we agreed to ship some parts only to be told later "never mind" on getting paid after numerous phone calls.

The idea between the technology is "neat", but not at all economically feasible or justified on a large scale. Another waste of government money. Not only was there no economic value created, ther was plenty destroyed.
moran

Madison, IN

#8 Jan 7, 2013
Have they called everyone back like the CEO said would happen?
quack quack

Madison, IN

#9 Jan 16, 2013
Almost 3 months later and pure silence on Windstream. Not surprising at all.

so just how many millions are the taxpayers out now? Anyone even care enough to find out?
Inquiring Minds

Batesville, IN

#10 Jan 23, 2013
Just curious on the monetary connections between the past & current president of the TIF board being the uncle of the (now former) Director of Business Development at WindStream Technologies. This "director" is also the son of North Vernon's mayor, Harold "Soup" Campbell.

As a side bit of info, the Jan 8 issue of The Sun stated on the back page that this same mayor was having his home foreclosed on. He financed 80,000 and has paid the principal down to 39,495.20 since November, 2004. He paid it down by half in 8 yrs and is having it foreclosed on?!

Rumor has it that Lawrenceburg will NEVER again grant funds to North Vernon. The former grant having been squandered by the defunct WindStream Technology.

This same son of the mayor, Travis Campbell, also had his hand in numerous businesses that went under roughly 6-7 years ago. To name a couple, H3 Mechanical and Oceanstar LLC.
Inquiring Minds

Batesville, IN

#11 Jan 23, 2013
@quack quack

"As an incentive, the company received a 10-year $1.4 million loan at 5.5 percent interest from the City of North Vernon funded from its Redevelopment Commission or TIF board.
The company also received incentives when it moved to Indiana, which included $1.5 million in performance-based tax credits and up to $84,500 in training grants based on the number of jobs created. It has also received two grants from the Lawrenceburg regional economic development grant program." 10/22/12 Plaindealer and Sun via the 'net.
Lost

North Vernon, IN

#12 Jan 23, 2013
Inquiring Minds wrote:
Just curious on the monetary connections between the past & current president of the TIF board being the uncle of the (now former) Director of Business Development at WindStream Technologies. This "director" is also the son of North Vernon's mayor, Harold "Soup" Campbell.
As a side bit of info, the Jan 8 issue of The Sun stated on the back page that this same mayor was having his home foreclosed on. He financed 80,000 and has paid the principal down to 39,495.20 since November, 2004. He paid it down by half in 8 yrs and is having it foreclosed on?!
Rumor has it that Lawrenceburg will NEVER again grant funds to North Vernon. The former grant having been squandered by the defunct WindStream Technology.
This same son of the mayor, Travis Campbell, also had his hand in numerous businesses that went under roughly 6-7 years ago. To name a couple, H3 Mechanical and Oceanstar LLC.
The guy is a jack ass criminal. These are by far not the only people he screwed out of money.
stickman

Madison, IN

#13 Feb 5, 2013
how much of your tax dollars did windstream actually get and dispose of? what do you have to show for your government promoting this great opportunity for your community?
fools

Madison, IN

#14 Mar 15, 2013
Here we are in the middle of March. No updates? No follow up stories?

This must have been a real embarrassing fiasco for the taxpayers up there. What no rehires to fulfill all those big orders?!?!?

Not a peep...
well duh

Madison, IN

#15 Mar 20, 2013
The building is vacant. the tax dollars are spent and gone. Nuff said.

Just move on to the next scam and failure. I'll bet the owner is not broke either. He probably got healed up real well off that deal.
Lost

North Vernon, IN

#16 Mar 20, 2013
No. Here is the problem with wind stream. It was designed on bullshit feel good environmental politics. I mean yes we need to protect the environment. But you can't build this plant with borrowed money then let china undercut. Anyone who believes this factory will come about is a fool. It won't. It is a joke. Until the people who work for the company can afford the product it is doomed to fail. Henry ford word for word. Corrupt. Yes.
ditched

Franklin, IN

#17 Mar 23, 2013
Early last year I sent them a inquiry about lead times and purchasing outright 12 units and they never even bothered to reply. They had all my contact info, just weren't interested in sales at all or didn't really have any manufacturing capabilities as claimed. I'm glad they are gone but sorry the taxpayers footed the bill for their sorry asses.
jobless in Jennings

Madison, IN

#18 Aug 12, 2013
Heard they were going to crank back up cause of some Obama federal grant to revive them? Anyone hear anything about it?
Potential supplier

Seymour, IN

#19 Oct 30, 2013
On 10/28/2013 I had a gentleman named John Brian Dempster came to my facility inquiring about a couple of shafts he needed produced. He wants 1,500 pieces of both. I thought that they had closed down, but not sure. He said he'd only been there two weeks and had no business cards. Only gave me an email address. When I tried to send him a quote to his email address, it was returned as "un-deliverable". He did not know the phone number there at the plant, just that his extension was 224. Anybody know this guy?
Curious

Columbus, IN

#20 Mar 31, 2014
Lay-off again?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

North Vernon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jon Bray that works at cummins in columbus Sun nathanp 3
IN Who do you support for Treasurer in Indiana in ... (Oct '10) Sun Jason Austin 94
Looking for an old friend Aug 29 Bounce 3
Amber Alert Aug 27 Be on the lookout 1
Do you know him? Aug 25 Curious2 2
rachel stallard Aug 21 LORI HEDGES 1
CanAmerican Veneers and Tom Earnhart who closed... Aug 20 boiler man 1
•••
•••
•••

North Vernon Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••