USGS study of White Bear Lake's falling water levels begins

Full story: TwinCities.com

The hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey had spent the previous two weeks zipping around the northeast metro area - from Centerville and Lino Lakes to North St.
Comments
21 - 31 of 31 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Remington

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#21
Apr 3, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Any person that would authorize pumping clean water to bring the lake level up should be arrested immediately for wasting a natural resource. If White Bear Lake is meant to survive, then it will, without all the tax money being wasted wondering if it will. The lake has no natural tributaries feeding it, plus all those ridiculous rain gardens that won't allow water to run off into the lake, well chances are the lake will dry up and die. The stupidity of rain gardens, well, that's another story in itself. They are not gardens at all, just big holes in the ground filled with weeds and water, in other words, mosquito hatcheries and drowning hazards to small children, and it won't be long before a person is required to put a fence around their rain garden to protect the children. It would have been very entertaining to be in the same room and listen to those nit wits deciding how wonderful rain gardens are, sort of like a lame brained comedy skit put on by morons.
Not the only ones

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#22
Apr 3, 2011
 
les wrote:
12 yrs ago I was heckled for fishing with my little brother on the Island side of the bridge. It seems the folks living on the isle don't take kindly to 'riff raff' fishing to close to their mansions.
Well it took awhile but I got the last laugh. Suckers!
Back in the late 60s or early 70s my brother and I crossed the bridge on the north side and with waders on we started fishing while standing in water a couple of hundred yards east of the bridge.

We got yelled at by a home owner and we kept fishing. Then the clancy COP shows up and threatens to call the DNR on our arses. We knew we were in the right but my older brother decided we better cross the bridge to safety before the DNR arrived.

I agree there is some benefit to WBL going dry but it is (was) a nice lake to swim and fish in. Now it's a wonderfull swamp.

It's my understanding from the high water line to the water line is now a public park, per Minnesota law. Guess we can now legally walk around the island and take a leak in front of a multimillion dollar sheet shack.

No matter if she completely drys up we can celebrate the day, and get the last laugh!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23
Apr 3, 2011
 
A woman who knows wrote:
Why does the study take until Fall 2012? Can't the beurocrat/scientists work on weekends?
It's very difficult to collect a year's worth of data in less than a year. e.g. you can only measure August's water table in August.

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#24
Apr 3, 2011
 
Remington wrote:
Any person that would authorize pumping clean water to bring the lake level up should be arrested immediately for wasting a natural resource. If White Bear Lake is meant to survive, then it will, without all the tax money being wasted wondering if it will. The lake has no natural tributaries feeding it, plus all those ridiculous rain gardens that won't allow water to run off into the lake, well chances are the lake will dry up and die. The stupidity of rain gardens, well, that's another story in itself. They are not gardens at all, just big holes in the ground filled with weeds and water, in other words, mosquito hatcheries and drowning hazards to small children, and it won't be long before a person is required to put a fence around their rain garden to protect the children. It would have been very entertaining to be in the same room and listen to those nit wits deciding how wonderful rain gardens are, sort of like a lame brained comedy skit put on by morons.
Rain gardens will actually help the lake by adding water to the aquifer that feeds the lake. Surface run-off carries pollutants into the lake - that's one reason that snow from street plowing couldn't be piled on the ice - too polluted.
Swamp Rat

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#25
Apr 3, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Funny that Dellwood, the most affluent 'suburb in WBL watershed area, hasn't made an effort to contribute any dollars toward this study. Many folks have private wells, diverted rain run-off, and very green manicured 'hydrated' lawns around the lakeshore. At least Dellwood could ante up a few greens for the study, Dellwoodians are not lucking for money.

Also, has anyone studied the recent developments and population growth in this watershed area that has disturbed the water tables' levels? Too much growth without careful ecological study or planning can be disastrous to Mother Nature and surrounding area!

So let's forget the politics and proverbial malarkey and let's find out why White Bear Lake is slowly drying up.
movin on

Hudson, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#26
Apr 4, 2011
 
BRuTaL BRuNeTTe ITaL iANO wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, it is a GEM~~I live on the lake and it looks awful in the summer~~ALOT of money is generated by the people it attracts all year round~~
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, this the life style that i,m supposed to be jealous of, living on white mud lake, i went to a wedding reception last summer, to a friend who lives on that lake, nice beach front hahahahaha, sorry BRUTAL B, i have a 4000 sq ft log home, with 20 acres on the wisconsin river, the last place i would want to live is on a lake with no water, and trust me i can match you’re income any day. lol
Remington

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#27
Apr 4, 2011
 

Judged:

2

1

1

Braxoz wrote:
<quoted text>
Rain gardens will actually help the lake by adding water to the aquifer that feeds the lake. Surface run-off carries pollutants into the lake - that's one reason that snow from street plowing couldn't be piled on the ice - too polluted.
I'm sorry, you must be either a politician or shill working for some special interest group, for what you said doesn't make any sense what so ever. Oh, I imagine when presented on paper, Rain gardens, aquifers, and pollutants could be made to look like the answer, solution and salvation to the problem with the lake, and giving people that buy into it a warm fuzzy feeling. Rain Gardens amount to nothing more than mosquito hatcheries and child hazards. Aquifers, if aquifers were feeding the lake there would be no problem, all studies indicate aquifers around the lake are full in good shape and evidently not feeding the lake as you imply. Pollution, well, you got me there, nobody likes pollution but sometimes the cure is worst than the disease, such being the case with White Bear Lake and diverting all rain water and runoff away from the lake.
smartie

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#28
Apr 4, 2011
 
I've been told the lake was as low as it is today back in the drought years of the 1930s. Like hundreds of other bodies of water, levels rise and fall ever since they were originally formed.
A bit west of WBL

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#29
Apr 4, 2011
 

Judged:

1

1

1

The Pleasant lake chain is supplied by the Mississippi river.

Channel or pipe some of that river water to WBL, case closed.

NOT a big deal at all. Assess a water surcharge on all WBL lakeshore owners to pay for it. Oh Ya the water surcharge would be based on property value, like the Island dwellers would really get socked...

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#30
Apr 4, 2011
 
Remington wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry, you must be either a politician or shill working for some special interest group, for what you said doesn't make any sense what so ever. Oh, I imagine when presented on paper, Rain gardens, aquifers, and pollutants could be made to look like the answer, solution and salvation to the problem with the lake, and giving people that buy into it a warm fuzzy feeling. Rain Gardens amount to nothing more than mosquito hatcheries and child hazards. Aquifers, if aquifers were feeding the lake there would be no problem, all studies indicate aquifers around the lake are full in good shape and evidently not feeding the lake as you imply. Pollution, well, you got me there, nobody likes pollution but sometimes the cure is worst than the disease, such being the case with White Bear Lake and diverting all rain water and runoff away from the lake.
Actually, my background is geology and I worked for the USGS as a field hydrologist/geologist.
files

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#31
Apr 4, 2011
 

Judged:

1

Ouch, Rem...that one hurt. Guess your opinion is like most of the others on here-guesswork. This issue needs to, and will be, fixed. Anyone who is stating "ha ha" and the like is simply a tool trying to get a rise. It's a wonderful lake and needs repair. And yes-I grew up in and on WBL.
Braxoz wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, my background is geology and I worked for the USGS as a field hydrologist/geologist.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent North St. Paul Discussions

Search the North St. Paul Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul 17 Turk 1,754
Man wanted in Roseville sex assault is caught d... (Feb '08) Jun 23 survivor 11
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
Cops break up check forgery ring; 13 charged (Dec '10) Apr '14 Missmedezi 87
Legislation would rename Hwy. 36 in North St. P... Mar '14 Joe Blow 3
Tarah Louise Schmahl booked on multiple charges (Dec '13) Dec '13 Local Jail Blotter 1
District 622 Want MORE TAXES (Jul '11) Nov '13 RPeterson 33
•••
•••
•••
•••

North St. Paul Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

North St. Paul People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

North St. Paul News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in North St. Paul
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••