USGS study of White Bear Lake's falling water levels begins

Full story: TwinCities.com

The hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey had spent the previous two weeks zipping around the northeast metro area - from Centerville and Lino Lakes to North St.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Apr 4, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Water Dude

Barron, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Someone pulled the plug, Man.
Tom E

New Richmond, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

And the answer is they stopped pumping water from wells into the lake a decade ago, this was the water that was used to raise the level of the lake! But instead of doing the obvious the government must do another study! Way to go ! wonder why we are protesting the ever greater tax burdon?
bothered reader

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

I sure hope Dellwood decides to help fund this study. I think it's very sad that the one community that has residents with that much expendible income and are probably the ones re first in line to complain, have not put in yet. I personally don't think this study should be occurring. Lack of precipitation leads to lack of groundwater recharge and surface runoff and lower water levels. It's unfortunate for the residents, but I don't think it warranted a study of that cost. It's all the complaining from the area residents that got this to happen, and nothing more.
bothered reader

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Good lord Tom. Pumping groundwater out of the ground to augment the water levels sure isn't the answer either. Gee, let me think what happens when a groundwater fed lake is not able to receive groundwater because it's pumped from the acquifers that would naturally feed it and OTHER lakes in the area, not to mention drinkin water supplies. What's more important, drinking water or recreating in it? It never fails to see the ignorance of the non-science community. The only reason the study is occuring is because the public demanded it and nothing more. The government is not going to pump water into the lake for recreation, end of story.
what the

Ely, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

what is the matter with all the people? don't these state and federal people already get paid to do this??? no wonder the state's in a hole

Since: Mar 11

St. Croix valley

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

what the wrote:
what is the matter with all the people? don't these state and federal people already get paid to do this??? no wonder the state's in ****
No. You need to chase funding for any study you want to do.
Pump it

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

bothered reader wrote:
Good lord Tom. Pumping groundwater out of the ground to augment the water levels sure isn't the answer either. Gee, let me think what happens when a groundwater fed lake is not able to receive groundwater because it's pumped from the acquifers that would naturally feed it and OTHER lakes in the area, not to mention drinkin water supplies. What's more important, drinking water or recreating in it? It never fails to see the ignorance of the non-science community. The only reason the study is occuring is because the public demanded it and nothing more. The government is not going to pump water into the lake for recreation, end of story.
And how many BILLIONS of gallons have been pumped to produce Ethonol?

The wells around WBL were drilled years ago when the lake levels dropped. "Government" drilled the wells then and they can be used again to maintain levels today.

To not pump is not an option.

WBL is a recreational gem used by thousands from all over the metro. Keep it up...
rob

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

VERY FUNNY - ALL THE DO-GOODER TREE HUGGERS STOPPING THE RUNOFF FROM GOING INTO THE LAKE WITH RAIN GARDENS{joke} etc. etc. have killed the lake. their is always bad consequences for what this fools do !!!!
Tom

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Go figure that the people of Dellwood with all their money haven't contributed!
Citizen Kane

Cumberland, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Mother nature is just reacting the way she should be expected to. Let this lake revert to a reedy marsh and quit worrying about people losing value in their lakeshore property. We have way more important things to worry about. If it is found out that development has drawn down the aquifer, what do they plan to do--pump water from Lake Superior to refill White Bear Lake!
T Day

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

I don't think Tom E was advocating pumping well water back into the lake, he was just stating the fact that the lake was artificially created and maintained with well pumping and, once that stopped, the lake is returning to a more natural state. "Natural" being a term that is abused in an overpopulated area and an over-utilized resource (water) in an artificial environment.

Face it, the study will be justification for wasting more natural resources to protect "a recreational gem" that is used by a tiny portion of the people who will pay for it and that will profit an even small number of elite Dellwood residents. If the residents of White Bear and surrounding cities want to restore this lake, they should do it with their own money and responsibly. The rain gardens filter water back into underground storage and prevent urban pollution from poisoning drinking water. Your 320 blades of grass per square inch, chemically-enhanced lawns are doing the lake poisoning.
Reggie

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

We should have been dumping clean snow on that lake all winter. Take it off the great lakes and cart it down. $200 large would cover most of the cost.
avery

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

T Day wrote:
I don't think Tom E was advocating pumping well water back into the lake, he was just stating the fact that the lake was artificially created and maintained with well pumping and, once that stopped, the lake is returning to a more natural state. "Natural" being a term that is abused in an overpopulated area and an over-utilized resource (water) in an artificial environment.
Face it, the study will be justification for wasting more natural resources to protect "a recreational gem" that is used by a tiny portion of the people who will pay for it and that will profit an even small number of elite Dellwood residents. If the residents of White Bear and surrounding cities want to restore this lake, they should do it with their own money and responsibly. The rain gardens filter water back into underground storage and prevent urban pollution from poisoning drinking water. Your 320 blades of grass per square inch, chemically-enhanced lawns are doing the lake poisoning.
in regards to rain garden benefits - talk is cheap - prove it

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Pump it wrote:
<quoted text>
And how many BILLIONS of gallons have been pumped to produce Ethonol?
The wells around WBL were drilled years ago when the lake levels dropped. "Government" drilled the wells then and they can be used again to maintain levels today.
To not pump is not an option.
WBL is a recreational gem used by thousands from all over the metro. Keep it up...
Yes, it is a GEM~~I live on the lake and it looks awful in the summer~~ALOT of money is generated by the people it attracts all year round~~

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Tom wrote:
LOL~~I was thinking the same thing~~One doesn't get rich by giving all their money away~~~But you would think they would be concerned about LAKEFRONT home values dropping, due to the fact the lake could be gone in a matter of time~~
Channel it

Prior Lake, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Channel water from the Pleasant Lake chain which originates from the Mississippi river.

The DNR supports this type of action.

Have a fundraiser for the project.

Just do it...
A woman who knows

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Why does the study take until Fall 2012? Can't the beurocrat/scientists work on weekends?
Duke of Dellwood

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

Tom wrote:
We know that this study is a sham and a useless waste of money.
Sunning on the Deck

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Channel it wrote:
Channel water from the Pleasant Lake chain which originates from the Mississippi river.
The DNR supports this type of action.
Have a fundraiser for the project.
Just do it...
You do it, we're busy.
les

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 3, 2011

Judged:

12 yrs ago I was heckled for fishing with my little brother on the Island side of the bridge. It seems the folks living on the isle don't take kindly to 'riff raff' fishing to close to their mansions.
Well it took awhile but I got the last laugh. Suckers!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent North St. Paul Discussions

Search the North St. Paul Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
John Berschens, 74, a farmer would do 'anything... (Mar '11) Jul 25 Steven Schneider 4
White Bear Lake meeting set to discuss water is... Jul 24 john 1
North St. Paul pins hopes on building fiber opt... (Jan '09) Jul 17 Turk 1,754
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
Cops break up check forgery ring; 13 charged (Dec '10) Apr '14 Missmedezi 87
Legislation would rename Hwy. 36 in North St. P... Mar '14 Joe Blow 3
Tarah Louise Schmahl booked on multiple charges (Dec '13) Dec '13 Local Jail Blotter 1
•••
•••
•••
North St. Paul Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

North St. Paul Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••